Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
doyleoil

Silver

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by doyleoil » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 pm

quakeroat wrote:
thistimereborn wrote:For those of you who have applied ED to Columbia (as I did), is NYU your next highest choice?

If so, do you think those of us who don't make it into Columbia stand a good chance of getting into NYU? This is, of course, assuming that we're talking about people who have numbers around or slightly below Columbia's median.

My main concern with NYU is that they will average my two scores, which brings me out of the low 170s and into the high 160s.

Apparently with a 3.9 GPA and a 168, though, there's an above 50% chance of being admitted, according to LSN.

So maybe even if we don't get into Columbia, we won't have to give up our New York dreams. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm not giving up hope yet for Columbia!
With a 3.9/17x (or even high 160s) I wouldn't give up hope either. :D Great GPA!

For me I think my next choice would actually be Chicago. I feel like it carries a bit more weight in the legal world nationwide than NYU, although that feeling isn't really substantiated by anything.
doesn't change the fact that it's true - ;)

Prodigy

New

Post by Prodigy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 pm

My aggravation is quickly turning into annoyance.

edit: Just kidding CLS, let me in. Please.

nycgal73

New

Post by nycgal73 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:03 pm

ah! i mean i dont really expect to get in with my 3.97, 166 but i would like to hear from them at least !!!!

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 pm

A couple people have gotten in with the same highest LSAT as me and a lower GPA...

I thought my application package was very strong and that I did everything right this year. I was especially proud of my personal statement. I was hopeful at first, but now I'm wondering what they didn't like about my application.

Maybe they read my post on TLS where I chronicled my crazy Columbia dream in which I battled giant octopi and mutant trees to gain admission to Columbia Law and were afraid that I have too wild a subconscious for Law School...haha

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:47 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 am

I have to say I didn't know it would be this hard to wait. Oh well if they don't take us ED they will have to fight for us later with all the schools that will give us money lower in the t-10.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Can we get numbers from the people who got in yesterday? I'm dying of curiousity.

junelsatonmonday

New

Post by junelsatonmonday » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:05 pm

i hate my life right now

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quakeroat

New

Post by quakeroat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
junelsatonmonday wrote:i hate my life right now
this is pathetic and I can't believe I'm admitting it, but I started spontaneously crying in my office today (this never happens to me and I ended up on the phone with my fiance saying "I can't stop crying, I don't even know why I'm crying"). Unfortunately, one of the people that delivers files chose that exact moment to come by and knock on my door, only to see me sobbing in a corner (our individual offices have glass doors). I suspect I will now be known as "crying girl"

Oh CLS, why must you make me so stressed? :evil:
This process has been taxing on all of us, for sure. But if it's any consolation (and it probably isn't), I went through the whole "I-got-rejected-at-the-school-I-set-my-heart-on" thing during undergrad apps and now, years later, it seems like it was much ado about nothing. You'll get into a great school, and with hard work you'll end up where you want to be.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:56 pm

quakeroat wrote: This process has been taxing on all of us, for sure. But if it's any consolation (and it probably isn't), I went through the whole "I-got-rejected-at-the-school-I-set-my-heart-on" thing during undergrad apps and now, years later, it seems like it was much ado about nothing. You'll get into a great school, and with hard work you'll end up where you want to be.
It's so funny because I had the most relaxed attitude about undergrad admissions. I had a couple of top choices and my heart wasn't particularly set on any of them. My thoughts were very much: "I'll get in where I fit well, I'll do well where ever I get in." Maybe I'm like this this time around because I never went through that undergrad freak-out.

amyraydun

New

Post by amyraydun » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:06 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
quakeroat wrote: This process has been taxing on all of us, for sure. But if it's any consolation (and it probably isn't), I went through the whole "I-got-rejected-at-the-school-I-set-my-heart-on" thing during undergrad apps and now, years later, it seems like it was much ado about nothing. You'll get into a great school, and with hard work you'll end up where you want to be.
It's so funny because I had the most relaxed attitude about undergrad admissions. I had a couple of top choices and my heart wasn't particularly set on any of them. My thoughts were very much: "I'll get in where I fit well, I'll do well where ever I get in." Maybe I'm like this this time around because I never went through that undergrad freak-out.
+1

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm

is the general consensus that if we haven't heard yet, the rejection's in the mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quakeroat

New

Post by quakeroat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:18 pm

emilybeth wrote:is the general consensus that if we haven't heard yet, the rejection's in the mail?
It's hard to say with any certainty, but it doesn't look good for us. According to this thread, acceptances were sent out on three separate days, with some going out to people whose apps weren't complete until AFTER the ED deadline. So unless they're skipping around or there are just a HUGE number of ED applications, my guess would be that CLS is a no-go, at least for now.

But who knows? Stranger things have happened - UVA and UCLA seem to be accepting people in a somewhat random order right now. Maybe we'll be surprised.

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:24 pm

quakeroat wrote:
emilybeth wrote:is the general consensus that if we haven't heard yet, the rejection's in the mail?
It's hard to say with any certainty, but it doesn't look good for us. According to this thread, acceptances were sent out on three separate days, with some going out to people whose apps weren't complete until AFTER the ED deadline. So unless they're skipping around or there are just a HUGE number of ED applications, my guess would be that CLS is a no-go, at least for now.

But who knows? Stranger things have happened - UVA and UCLA seem to be accepting people in a somewhat random order right now. Maybe we'll be surprised.

FINE, columbia. FINE. BE THAT WAY. your loss -- watch me, i'll prove it; you'll see my name in lights soon.

:P

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZackG

New

Post by ZackG » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm

I didn't realize that it was time to give up hope already, that's not good news. :?
Last edited by ZackG on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bones33

New

Post by bones33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Hey I must be missing something here. Columbia like other schools say that they will guarantee reply for ED by late december. On this board there have been maybe 4 or 5 ppl tops who claimed to have gotten acceptances and there is about that many ppl claiming such on LSN. Even if this represents a small percentage of ppl who actually got in, would you not think that we would have heard about it from more ppl? All this cynicism seems a bit unwarranted.

jsrosenb

New

Post by jsrosenb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Why would any of you think the rejections were all out when so few people have written they were accepted on the law schools number website.
Are you bored and nervous or you have legitimate reasons to think that? Just curious.. don't really understand where your basis comes from?

jsrosenb

New

Post by jsrosenb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Bones - i am with you! columbia 2012 here we come!

thistimereborn

New

Post by thistimereborn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:39 pm

bones33 wrote:Hey I must be missing something here. Columbia like other schools say that they will guarantee reply for ED by late december. On this board there have been maybe 4 or 5 ppl tops who claimed to have gotten acceptances and there is about that many ppl claiming such on LSN. Even if this represents a small percentage of ppl who actually got in, would you not think that we would have heard about it from more ppl? All this cynicism seems a bit unwarranted.
Well I don't think any of us have given up hope. It's just that there is quite a lot of evidence that our chances are steadily diminishing with each day. On LSN previous stats show that ED applicants tend to be admitted near the beginning of December or not at all. There are almost no acceptances after Dec. 15th for ED applicants. It also shows that the amount of people who have been admitted so far on LSN (7) is about as much as were admitted ED on LSN in previous years, so maybe they have reached their target for # of ED acceptances and won't be taking any more. Also, some people who went complete AFTER I did and other people who are still waiting did have been accepted, which suggests that we have already been considered. As others have noted, there have been 3 waves of ED acceptances already, meaning that for one reason or another we have been passed over.

Of course, none of this is proof that we will be rejected. It's just kind of discouraging, especially when you analyze past trends. That's why people are being pessimistic now.

That said, I won't be giving up hope until the day I get my rejection e-mail or letter. Columbia is the one and only law school for me, and I've still got faith.
Last edited by thistimereborn on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZackG

New

Post by ZackG » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 pm

jsrosenb wrote:Bones - i am with you! columbia 2012 here we come!
haha optimism, at least someone has it. These guys have been analyzing past year's LawSchoolNumbers.com ED admits, which apparently show a bit of predictability, and it appears that most acceptances go out by Dec. 10? Hopefully this year is different though.
Last edited by ZackG on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:10 pm

thistimereborn wrote:
bones33 wrote:Hey I must be missing something here. Columbia like other schools say that they will guarantee reply for ED by late december. On this board there have been maybe 4 or 5 ppl tops who claimed to have gotten acceptances and there is about that many ppl claiming such on LSN. Even if this represents a small percentage of ppl who actually got in, would you not think that we would have heard about it from more ppl? All this cynicism seems a bit unwarranted.
Well I don't think any of us have given up hope. It's just that there is quite a lot of evidence that our chances are steadily diminishing with each day. On LSN previous stats show that ED applicants tend to be admitted near the beginning of December or not at all. There are almost no acceptances after Dec. 15th for ED applicants. It also shows that the amount of people who have been admitted so far on LSN (7) is about as much as were admitted ED on LSN in previous years, so maybe they have reached their target for # of ED acceptances and won't be taking any more. Also, some people who went complete AFTER I did and other people who are still waiting did have been accepted, which suggests that we have already been considered. As others have noted, there have been 3 waves of ED acceptances already, meaning that for one reason or another we have been passed over.

Of course, none of this is proof that we will be rejected. It's just kind of discouraging, especially when you analyze past trends. That's why people are being pessimistic now.

That said, I won't be giving up hope until the day I get my rejection e-mail or letter. Columbia is the one and only law school for me, and I've still got faith.
I'm still hoping deep down.

The patterns aren't just apparent in last year's numbers--you can see them over the last four or so (if I remember correctly).

quakeroat

New

Post by quakeroat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:51 am

thistimereborn wrote:

Why?

Dead Ringer

Bronze

Post by Dead Ringer » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:09 am

I have lived around Columbia and I fully understand why someone would consider it their one and only. Fortunately, I went to visit Chicago and realized how great that is too. I seriously recommend a visit out there to people who think they would only be happy at Columbia. You will feel much better. This is coming from someone who has never spent more than a month at a go off of the east-coast (mostly due to poverty, but also because I LOVE New England and NYC (I don't love Boston). If I think I could be happy at Chicago, than perhaps others could be persuaded to feel the same. Also, there is a decent school called NYU a few short miles from Columbia. Frankly, NYU Law has way nicer facilities than Columbia Law.

Yet, there are many good reasons why I did not hesitate to go ED at Columbia. I would marry Chicago, but I would probably still close my eyes and think of Columbia some of the time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”