Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 pm

lex talionis wrote:In case anyone else was wondering,
BofA ATMs??

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 19, 2009 11:29 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:In case anyone else was wondering,
BofA ATMs??

I think I'm going to keep my BoA account open just in case I head abroad again.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 pm

lex talionis wrote:
what's the appeal of opening the chase?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 19, 2009 11:34 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
I'm still deciding on whether I should open an account with Chase or Citi. It'll probably be Citi. (I've already shut down my HSBC and PNC bank accounts. I hate that my money gets so spread out.)

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 pm

lex talionis wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
I'm still deciding on whether I should open an account with Chase or Citi. It'll probably be Citi. (I've already shut down my HSBC and PNC bank accounts. I hate that my money gets so spread out.)
Why not TDBank? They seem to have kept the best elements of Commerce (great customer service, good hours & fee policies) but expanded the range of operations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Also, I am finally getting around to reading the Admitted Students Handbook, particularly the description of Brewmasters (which I assume was written by a member of the club).
"The Brewmasters are a recreational beer brewing society. Founded under a specter of humility and stick-to-it-ivness, members consistently failed to even approach these lofty ideals. Recognizing our error in mission, society members now strive to live up to such famous American brewers as Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson, who, while paying lip service to humility, lived both grandiose and impactful lives. If you think you have the mettle of an American Revolutionary, you'll find a home with the Brewmasters. Benefits of Brewmasters Society membership include access to brewing supplies, equipment, instruction, and a healthy reminder that while your GPA is just a number-- beer is beer."

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue May 19, 2009 11:41 pm

lex talionis wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
Yea, my undergrad acct was with a local bank, so I closed it right after graduating. I don't know about Chase, but I had a terrible experience with Citi for many years. Part of the problem is that all of their call centers are outsourced and so every time I had a problem, I struggled to communicate with the other person (everyone was nice and well-meaning, we just weren't making it work and I'm easily confused with banking issues even when an accent isn't involved). Plus, outsourced call centres mean "supervisors" can't really help you. I found it to be very frustrating. There were other problems as well, but that was more a terrible local branch issue. I ended up switching to BofA.

But why would you want an account in addition to BofA? Is there a particular reason to have Chase/Citi as well?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue May 19, 2009 11:54 pm

I just don't really like BoA. They seem to have higher ATM fees than other banks (Citi doesn't have any on its student account, Chase does), and I'm just lazy enough to prefer to use a bank with ATMs 5 blocks closer.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 pm

Hmmmm that's a good point about fees, it does start to annoy me. Maybe I should consider another checking acct. Though I get so sick of managing multiple banks. Just when I have it down to two....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed May 20, 2009 12:05 am

I should also mention that I haven't used my BoA debit card in about 6 months, and have subsequently forgotten the PIN. So useless.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:33 am

Not sure about morningside heights, but in New York in general, Chase has the most ATMs in the most convenient locations. Anecdotally, between 46th street and 22nd street on 5th avenue (my old ride coming home late from work) there are no less than 10 (yes, 10) chase branches.

Also, not sure if the map above covers it, but all duane reades in the city (the most popular pharmacy) have chase ATMs in them.

The one problem is Chase doesn't have a lot of locations outside the city, but then again, either does Citi. Bank of America is relatively rare (relatively meaning 1 every 4 blocks, instead of 1 every 2)

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 am

sbalive wrote:Why not TDBank? They seem to have kept the best elements of Commerce (great customer service, good hours & fee policies) but expanded the range of operations.
I absolutely second this notion. BofA has maybe the worst customer service with which I have ever dealt. TDBank has been nothing by nice and helpful since I started using them and, while not quite as prolific as Citi, Chase or BofA, they have ATMs all over the city.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 20, 2009 10:10 am

jmat wrote:
sbalive wrote:Why not TDBank? They seem to have kept the best elements of Commerce (great customer service, good hours & fee policies) but expanded the range of operations.
I absolutely second this notion. BofA has maybe the worst customer service with which I have ever dealt. TDBank has been nothing by nice and helpful since I started using them and, while not quite as prolific as Citi, Chase or BofA, they have ATMs all over the city.
I looked it up... They're not as conveniently located as the bigger banks, but they have a branch at 109th & Broadway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed May 20, 2009 12:02 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Not sure about morningside heights, but in New York in general, Chase has the most ATMs in the most convenient locations. Anecdotally, between 46th street and 22nd street on 5th avenue (my old ride coming home late from work) there are no less than 10 (yes, 10) chase branches.

Also, not sure if the map above covers it, but all duane reades in the city (the most popular pharmacy) have chase ATMs in them.

The one problem is Chase doesn't have a lot of locations outside the city, but then again, either does Citi. Bank of America is relatively rare (relatively meaning 1 every 4 blocks, instead of 1 every 2)
Chase lets you used WaMu ATMS too, which means it will work back in Cali too. I think I see another bank in my future :|

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:07 pm

lex talionis wrote:Oh no someone linked this thread to the fb group...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... topic=8682
:?
I think our reactions made him take it down. Great success.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm

This may be a stupid question, but is anybody contemplating signing up for on-campus meals (even just one per day)? I'm ashamed to admit that my parents are leaning on me to do this (they know I'm a lazy cook, and tend to revert to making sandwiches or ordering sushi). I'm hoping that, having roommates, we'll be able to go to Whole Foods together and switch off with cooking meals, but my realistic side says I might be screwed. ;)

jfab202

New

Post by jfab202 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Lem37 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but is anybody contemplating signing up for on-campus meals (even just one per day)? I'm ashamed to admit that my parents are leaning on me to do this (they know I'm a lazy cook, and tend to revert to making sandwiches or ordering sushi). I'm hoping that, having roommates, we'll be able to go to Whole Foods together and switch off with cooking meals, but my realistic side says I might be screwed. ;)
you don't want to sign up for that many on-campus meals. on campus food is pretty terrible. i know this, as i spent 4 years in ugrad eating (or trying not to eat) it. there are plenty of places around school you can frequent.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 1:14 pm

Lem37 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but is anybody contemplating signing up for on-campus meals (even just one per day)? I'm ashamed to admit that my parents are leaning on me to do this (they know I'm a lazy cook, and tend to revert to making sandwiches or ordering sushi). I'm hoping that, having roommates, we'll be able to go to Whole Foods together and switch off with cooking meals, but my realistic side says I might be screwed. ;)
I wouldn't do on campus meals, there are so many cheap ordering options available near by that it's not going to be worth it. God I wish I could just go to Whole Foods all the time, but it's so freaking expensive (I highly recommend local grocery stores for general goods) and then produce and meats go for Whole Foods, TJs or Zabars. Either way, there are so many cheap options in the city getting a meal plan seems like it would be a bit much.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
He should sign up and say hi!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Whole Foods is kinda far, but it is right on the 1 at Columbus Circle, although there's supposed to be one opening around Columbus/W. 100th by the end of summer.

The only TJ's is the one in Union Square.

(It's going to take time for me to to get accustomed to not being downtown.)

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 2:20 pm

lex talionis wrote:Whole Foods is kinda far, but it is right on the 1 at Columbus Circle, although there's supposed to be one opening around Columbus/W. 100th by the end of summer.

The only TJ's is the one in Union Square.

(It's going to take time for me to to get accustomed to not being downtown.)
Whole Foods is also awesome because the one at Columbus Circle will deliver your groceries and for not that much (although I always find it easier and just as cheap to just take a cab with my groceries).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Fairway:

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

Cheaper, and better. Plus they deliver. You will never go to Whole Foods ever again.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 20, 2009 2:40 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
He should sign up and say hi!
Definitely, unless he's already on here! (Is he a "Rising 1L" also? He looks familiar.

Also, if I can see that discussion, does it mean I'm part of the CLS Class of 2012 Group yet? I never received an acknowledgment, I don't think, but I'm pretty clueless about the Book-Face.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 20, 2009 2:42 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Fairway:

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

Cheaper, and better. Plus they deliver. You will never go to Whole Foods ever again.
I've heard great things about it. If people want to go as a team, I'm game. Whole Foods is a huge waste of money, so I never go there. TJ's can be a very good deal, but some of their packaged stuff isn't that great and it can be repetitive after a while. (It's the closest grocery store to my place now, so I think I've pretty much had as much TJ products as I need for a while.)

Is there carshare, actually? I find that useful in Philly...

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm

No, no, no, I'm not worried about expense - I'm worried about laziness. Like, I love buying quality organic ingredients at Whole Foods, but then when it comes to cooking them, I'm like FUCK THIS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”