Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Antipodean

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by Antipodean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

jpaul09 wrote:
saveferris2785 wrote:I haven't gotten the housing approval email either, hoping that there's not something wrong with my application...debating if I should call E Grainger tomorrow, any thoughts?
I think I'm going to wait until mid-next week, but if you call tomorrow, let me know what she says!
One of my non-TLS classmates said that she made a call to Housing recently, and was told that they're hoping to have all assigments made by the end of next week. Like everything originating from UAH, I'd take that info with a grain of salt.

aspasia

New

Post by aspasia » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:13 pm

I still haven't heard anything (approval, offer, etc) either. Getting nervous since I requested a non-law apartment share and Lenfest or Lionsgate are not exactly in my budget.

saveferris2785

New

Post by saveferris2785 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm

aspasia wrote:I still haven't heard anything (approval, offer, etc) either. Getting nervous since I requested a non-law apartment share and Lenfest or Lionsgate are not exactly in my budget.
+1

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm

aspasia wrote:I still haven't heard anything (approval, offer, etc) either. Getting nervous since I requested a non-law apartment share and Lenfest or Lionsgate are not exactly in my budget.
Dear Aspasia,

Do no worry. You have a non-law apartment home that is within you budget. You have been assign to The Harlem.

Sincerely,
CLS

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 pm

Serrat is our dean of admissions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:57 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:Serrat is our dean of admissions?

i always hate how my top button is about to burst in that photo. i mean, they not even that big. it is insult to injury. insult. sigh. oh well, at least my melanin glow very sexily.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:44 pm

So I'm thinking about calling UAH. But I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch. Anyone have any advice?

saveferris2785

New

Post by saveferris2785 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Lem37 wrote:So I'm thinking about calling UAH. But I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch. Anyone have any advice?
I struggled with this too and settled on emailing them yesterday. I received the following response today from Juliana Utley, Assistant Director of Student Services:

"Francesca asked me to give you an update on where the Law School is with housing assignments. Your application is on file and we are updating them with assignments daily. If you have not received an offer by June 30, please let me know.

If you have any other questions, I am happy to help."

Which I interpreted as: "Be patient, everything's fine, now kindly stop bugging us"

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:54 pm

saveferris2785 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So I'm thinking about calling UAH. But I don't want to sound like a whiny bitch. Anyone have any advice?
I struggled with this too and settled on emailing them yesterday. I received the following response today from Juliana Utley, Assistant Director of Student Services:

"Francesca asked me to give you an update on where the Law School is with housing assignments. Your application is on file and we are updating them with assignments daily. If you have not received an offer by June 30, please let me know.

Which I interpreted as: "Be patient, everything's fine, now kindly stop bugging us"
Yeah, I guess I'll just sit tight and shoot them an e-mail at the end of next week, if I haven't heard anything. I just don't want to annoy someone in UAH and then get stuck with a 5-bedroom Apartment Share in the Arbor. ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:18 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:jeez.. the gym by Columbia is freaking expensive. It's cheaper for me to buy a treadmill.
which one? NYSC?
yeah... $69 a month seems a little expensive.
Hah, that price is at a massive discount too, it used to be like 99, but gyms cannot compete any more because of the economy. I would definitely search around for independent gyms in the area, a lot of them are getting desperate and offering really good deals.

saveferris2785

New

Post by saveferris2785 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Lem37 wrote:
saveferris2785 wrote:

Yeah, I guess I'll just sit tight and shoot them an e-mail at the end of next week, if I haven't heard anything. I just don't want to annoy someone in UAH and then get stuck with a 5-bedroom Apartment Share in the Arbor. ;)
agreed, and as much as this wait for housing sucks, it's cake compared to waiting for LSAT scores, admission decisions, or those poor folks who are still waiting for waitlist movement

JoetheSchmo

New

Post by JoetheSchmo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey classmates, just got my housing assignment (8th fl. Lenfest) and figured I'd come and introduce myself.

I'm Joe.

Man that was easy.

Everyone excited?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:55 pm

JoetheSchmo wrote:Hey classmates, just got my housing assignment (8th fl. Lenfest) and figured I'd come and introduce myself.

I'm Joe.

Man that was easy.

Everyone excited?
Hey, we're building-mates! When are you moving in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoetheSchmo

New

Post by JoetheSchmo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:56 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:

Sometime during the week of Aug 10, hopefully earlier rather then later. Not looking forward to the drive. You?

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm

JoetheSchmo wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:

Sometime during the week of Aug 10, hopefully earlier rather then later. Not looking forward to the drive. You?
July 13th - 17th... really early.

Explorer

New

Post by Explorer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:57 am

jpaul09 wrote:Um, I think the running club was mentioned in the list of student organizations in that big blue binder Columbia sent us right around the time we were admitted. It's called Running from the Law or something like that? Who knows if it's really even active anymore, though.

I did find this page with all different runs around Columbia -- http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/running/
That website got me really pumped for running outside in NY.

Explorer

New

Post by Explorer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:59 am

Also, is the AdmitNet photo the official one we need to submit? I read LawNet somewhere, but that thing doesn't work for me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:17 am

Explorer wrote:Also, is the AdmitNet photo the official one we need to submit? I read LawNet somewhere, but that thing doesn't work for me?
As I understand it, our AdmitNet accounts are upgraded to LawNet accounts around the time we arrive on campus. So yes, that's the official photo that'll be on our ID cards, the professor's seating charts, etc. No worries, right?

paranoidjet

New

Post by paranoidjet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm in one bedroom of a three bedroom apartment. I have the name and contact info for one of my roomies, but the other one is listed as being "unavailable." Does anyone have any idea why, or does anyone have the same issue? Could that mean that one bedroom will be vacant? Also, the Columbia University housing website lists my building as a "FACULTY/STAFF" residence. I'm neither. Wonder what's up with that.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:53 pm

I think there was a box on the housing application that asked if you wanted to release your contact information to your other roommates. Maybe your roommate clicked no.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:14 pm

paranoidjet wrote:I'm in one bedroom of a three bedroom apartment. I have the name and contact info for one of my roomies, but the other one is listed as being "unavailable." Does anyone have any idea why, or does anyone have the same issue? Could that mean that one bedroom will be vacant? Also, the Columbia University housing website lists my building as a "FACULTY/STAFF" residence. I'm neither. Wonder what's up with that.
It means your third roommate hasn't been assigned yet. There's no way they'd leave a bedroom vacant, they'd be losing money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:57 pm

I e-mailed Elizabeth Grainger because I'm going out of the country soon and won't have much access to the Internet. She told me they'd try to get my assignment out this week, so I'm totally psyched! She seems very nice, and I was definitely pleased by the quick response. :)

totebag

New

Post by totebag » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Last edited by totebag on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 pm

totebag wrote:Hi, everyone. I've been a lurker on TLS since last summer, and I decided to join today. I, like most of you, am heading to Columbia this fall as a part of 2012. I'd like to thank everyone for their wonderful posts about NYC and the school. The thread has been really informative, especially for someone who has not lived in the city.

That being said, I was wondering if any of you are as anxious as I am about Columbia's job prospects and the health of the legal field generally. I have been very surprised that nobody has posted anything about what is happening in the legal market within this thread. I mean, we are all 0Ls right now, but 2010 OCI is really not that far away. Having signed my loan papers the other day, the downturn in the economy has suddenly become very real and very scary to me. How are all of you coping with this? I might just be too pessimistic for my own good, but I can't help but worry about the daily ATL postings and the difficulties that have been presented to the most recent graduates.
Tote,

I think all (or most) of us are aware of the chaos in the legal market, and the potential negative ramifications for us. However, my perspective is while it's worth keeping in mind and being concious of this, beyond a certain point it's not helpful to worry about. The die is already cast, as it were, and no one really knows what things are going to be like in 2012, so stressing out is just going to raise your blood pressure. Now that you're committed, the best thing to do is work hard and do well, realizing that that is one of the only things you can control, and will put you in the best position for OCI, regardless of how much worse or better the market is.

I'd also add, you should take some comfort in the fact that you're going to Columbia. It's not the "free pass" it was in the past (everyone gets a 160k job, wheeeee!!), but it still puts you in a lot better position than many other people. This does not mean you can afford to slack off or not be diligent about work and job searches, but recognize that you have a leg up on most.

Oh, and reading ATL every day will kill you. Check in every so often, but don't be obsessive about it.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
totebag wrote: That being said, I was wondering if any of you are as anxious as I am about Columbia's job prospects and the health of the legal field generally. I have been very surprised that nobody has posted anything about what is happening in the legal market within this thread. I mean, we are all 0Ls right now, but 2010 OCI is really not that far away. Having signed my loan papers the other day, the downturn in the economy has suddenly become very real and very scary to me. How are all of you coping with this? I might just be too pessimistic for my own good, but I can't help but worry about the daily ATL postings and the difficulties that have been presented to the most recent graduates.
I'd also add, you should take some comfort in the fact that you're going to Columbia. It's not the "free pass" it was in the past (everyone gets a 160k job, wheeeee!!), but it still puts you in a lot better position than many other people. This does not mean you can afford to slack off or not be diligent about work and job searches, but recognize that you have a leg up on most.

Yep. 200k is a huge crapload of money to go to school. But come on, you are going to probably the best school in the country for finding a high-paying corporate job(if that is what you are into...).

If I wasn't going to law school, what else would I do? My Poli Sci degree probably isn't going to take me very far. Any chance I might have had at a semi-comfy govt job is shot due to CA's budget.

And hey....they say the economy is recovering :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”