Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
totebag

New

Post by totebag » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 am

Last edited by totebag on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBreslin417

New

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by DBreslin417 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am

Do any of the current students remember what the schedule for the first 3 weeks of Legal Methods was last year? I'm trying to book a flight for Sept. 4th and would like to do it as soon as possible to take advantage of low fares.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:48 am

Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?
If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:Anyone else a little irritated that we don't get our schedules/required booklists until orientation?
If you did, I guarantee there would be classmates (maybe you?) who would read the whole damn things, and there would be at least one person who would outline all of the books prior to orientation. People get crazy before first semester no matter where you are. I sort of appreciate that CLS does what it can to minimize the potential for crazy. There's really no need to have that information now.
I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:
I understand your point when it comes to booklists, but having my schedule would be helpful since I have several trips that HAVE to be made and I would like to book them while I'm not worrying about other things/have money. I don't work ahead (as you imply above), but I do have to plan ahead and there are other people's schedules depending on mine.
I didn't mean to insult you, and I apologize if it came across that way.

Based on the course offerings for the semester, no CLS 1Ls will have a core class that meets on Fridays. Your legal writing class may meet on Friday, but if you have to skip it for a trip, it's not the end of the world - the class is pass/fail. Not sure if this is the kind of information that you need to plan your trips, but there it is.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 am

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:

Based on the course offerings for the semester, no CLS 1Ls will have a core class that meets on Fridays. Your legal writing class may meet on Friday, but if you have to skip it for a trip, it's not the end of the world - the class is pass/fail. Not sure if this is the kind of information that you need to plan your trips, but there it is.
I saw the general class schedule that someone helpfully posted on the 1L forum (thanks to whomever!) and that there are no friday classes, which is good, but oddly enough, I need to know my schedule on a couple of wednesdays/thursdays...
Last edited by whyamidoingthis on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdw06005

New

Post by jdw06005 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am

00TREX00 wrote:I wouldn't recommend this strategy. True, you can get whole cases from Lexis/Westlaw, but many cases in textbooks are annotated. You don't want to be reading a ton of extra stuff. More importantly, the notes in the casebooks can be crucial. I had one or two classes last year where the professor didn't rely on notes, but these are the exception. Commonly, the notes will be a good synopsis of the policy points that the professor expects you to get from a specific doctrine. In some of my classes, like property, the notes were basically hornbook-style, elaborating on and clarifying the doctrinal areas.
It isn't, however, necessary to get the most current edition of the casebook. If anyone wants to buy some of mine from last year, I'll sell for like 20 bucks a piece. None of them are highlighted to any significant extent. Morrison for Contracts first semester? Hit me up.
Thanks. Any good used bookstores around the area that might have cheap casebooks for sale?

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 pm

So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:50 pm

I just booked a mover for next Sunday (the 9th) :shock:

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 pm

LoveButton wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
LoveButton wrote:

If legal writing winds up being on Friday, has there ever been any success in anyone moving it if they were able to point to a good reason? I imagine any appeals like that might not be widely publicized, but I'm curious.

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:57 pm

sbalive wrote:If legal writing winds up being on Friday, has there ever been any success in anyone moving it if they were able to point to a good reason? I imagine any appeals like that might not be widely publicized, but I'm curious.
Yep! In second semester, my 11-person legal writing class succeeded in moving our class to Monday afternoon. It took a few weeks, and we had a particularly nice and accommodating professor, but it is certainly possible if people are willing and if schedules align. You just have to ask.
jdw06005 wrote:Thanks. Any good used bookstores around the area that might have cheap casebooks for sale?
The public interest law foundation (PILF) has a used book sale during orientation and at the beginning of the semester. You might not be able to find the edition you need, but most books are there.

Also, upperclassmen (like me) will probably be selling books, too. The lawnet forum will probably light up with people selling books once orientation begins.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!
I'll be back after this Saturday if we can actually get a meet up together.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:So, I signed the lease for/visited my and aspasia's new apartment. It is quite nice! Aaaaand, utilities are included, which means I am going to air condition that bitch up. I'll be in there permanently starting Monday, so let's meet up, fellow CLS students!
I move in Tuesday and I'd love to meet up with you all after that!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 pm

deneuve39 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Moving in Monday!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:49 pm

hm what should we do? happy hour? dinner? we should probably post it on Facebook/the forum on Lawnet too.

DrmgSprs

New

Post by DrmgSprs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:30 pm

I'll get in on Thursday, so maybe we can have a second event towards the weekend too?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:48 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:I'll get in on Thursday, so maybe we can have a second event towards the weekend too?
or we could just schedule it for the weekend, since more people will probably be around then.

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 pm

RAWRRRR :twisted: Aug 10th

p.s. lex pm me your numberrr

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:54 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:RAWRRRR :twisted: Aug 10th

p.s. lex pm me your numberrr
oh, calm down, we'll do multiple happy hours.

DrmgSprs

New

Post by DrmgSprs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 pm

DrmgSprs wrote:Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.
No... and I sent mine at least a month ago. Columbia seems to only let you know when something is missing.

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:15 pm

I'll be in Sunday and signing lease on Monday

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:43 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
DrmgSprs wrote:Did anyone get the email confirmation after they mailed in the immunization form? I mailed mine in over 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.
No... and I sent mine at least a month ago. Columbia seems to only let you know when something is missing.
Hmm..I got confirmation awhile back. Sent it to my Columbia e-mail.

Dear Student,

We have received your Immunization (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
documentation and would like to inform you that your documentation is
complete, and you are compliant with New York State Public Health Law
(PL2165).

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

whyamidoingthis wrote:
deneuve39 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
Moving in Monday!
Thursday for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”