Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:27 pm

lex talionis wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:My friend and I are going to Ikea tomorrow and picking up a Uhaul van to bring the stuff back (they have them on site). I'm on the 400 block of 115th. Let me know if anyone else wants in.
I'll be there today too. Brooklyn?
yep.
I pity whichever of you is driving the uhaul

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:09 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Hey does anyone know what our schedule is like for legal methods?

I got offered tickets to the daily show, but I need to be able to get to midtown by 4pm on August 19th.....
If you really want to go, I would say go regardless and miss the afternoon session of legal methods (if you even have to). Tell your professor you won't be able to make afternoon class on August 19th and it will have no effect on your performance or the professor's opinion of you.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Just settled into my apartment and I could not be more exhausted. Walking walking walking.

DrmgSprs

New

Post by DrmgSprs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I just moved in too (115th St) and am now exhausted. Can't wait to explore tomorrow though!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:07 pm

thrillhouse wrote:LEX!!! Where were you last night? I was looking forward to meeting you.
Haha sorry I've had a friend visiting me for the past few days. But she's leaving tomorrow, and I'd definitely be down for some heavy drinking tomorrow night (I have 2 carts of stuff from Ikea and 9 boxes from UPS scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... sigh... we obviously didn't end up having the balls for the uhaul).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:32 pm

lex talionis wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:LEX!!! Where were you last night? I was looking forward to meeting you.
Haha sorry I've had a friend visiting me for the past few days. But she's leaving tomorrow, and I'd definitely be down for some heavy drinking tomorrow night (I have 2 carts of stuff from Ikea and 9 boxes from UPS scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... sigh... we obviously didn't end up having the balls for the uhaul).
haha wtf!!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
haha wtf!!
I flew. The rest of my stuff had to get here somehow.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm

lex talionis wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
haha wtf!!
I hear you. I was at ikea w a car and still ended up having it delivered. They told me they would take all the stuff upstairs and I was totally sold.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 am

Whoooo. So UnknownElementX and I went to The Heights (bar on Broadway btwn 111th/112th) a few nights ago for a brewsky. It was rockin'. I suggest we reconvene with larger numbers there soon. And then all retreat to my apartment for some So You Think You Can Dance.

Seriously though, since moving up to MH I've been too lazy to leave the neighborhood. And it's been ridiculously hot. Like hell I'm going down to the UWS when we all live within ten blocks of eachother. The 1-train in the middle of the day is like a Russian bathhouse.

FYI, I'm in SJ at the moment for my birthday, but I'll be back on Saturday, so no shenanigans until then! I command it.

FFYI, Bolt Bus is the shit.

EDIT #3: How great is Westside Markets? And the 24-hour Duane Reade? <3 UAH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dev2012

New

Post by dev2012 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:39 am

The 1-train in the middle of the day is like a Russian bathhouse.
The voice of experience?

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:43 am

whyamidoingthis wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:
lex talionis wrote: haha wtf!!
I hear you. I was at ikea w a car and still ended up having it delivered. They told me they would take all the stuff upstairs and I was totally sold.
may i ask how much your delivery fees were?
i saw on their website for things costing around 1000 the fee's something like 400. i was like no fucking thanks.
i was gonna do a uhaul next week, if anyone's interested.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:45 am

Lem37 wrote:Whoooo. So UnknownElementX and I went to The Heights (bar on Broadway btwn 111th/112th) a few nights ago for a brewsky. It was rockin'. I suggest we reconvene with larger numbers there soon. And then all retreat to my apartment for some So You Think You Can Dance.

Seriously though, since moving up to MH I've been too lazy to leave the neighborhood. And it's been ridiculously hot. Like hell I'm going down to the UWS when we all live within ten blocks of eachother. The 1-train in the middle of the day is like a Russian bathhouse.

FYI, I'm in SJ at the moment for my birthday, but I'll be back on Saturday, so no shenanigans until then! I command it.

FFYI, Bolt Bus is the shit.

EDIT #3: How great is Westside Markets? And the 24-hour Duane Reade? <3 UAH
True that.

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 am

daisyduck wrote:
whyamidoingthis wrote: I hear you. I was at ikea w a car and still ended up having it delivered. They told me they would take all the stuff upstairs and I was totally sold.
may i ask how much your delivery fees were?
i saw on their website for things costing around 1000 the fee's something like 400. i was like no fucking thanks.
i was gonna do a uhaul next week, if anyone's interested.[/quote]
It was $100 for everything up to 1500 lbs. I didn't love paying even that much but....

On another note, I'm downgrading my apt from pretty clean to kinda clean.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm

dev2012 wrote:
The 1-train in the middle of the day is like a Russian bathhouse.
The voice of experience?
Idi nahui.

particleman

New

Post by particleman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Regarding furniture, I'm moving into furnished university housing next week, but the problem is I already have some furniture in storage that my brother left for me before he left New York. If anyone is interested in borrowing furniture for the year PM me. Obviously it would be free, you would just have to move it (and return it in the spring).

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:42 pm

When do we get our ID cards? I want to get to the gym...

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:45 pm

does anyone know of good restaurants in the area?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:54 pm

I CAN'T MOVE IN ON THE WEEKEND.

Oh, FUCK.

I am so pissed off right now :evil:

I assumed the email meant when you could get your keys, not physically move in. I guess I'll be on an air mattress for at least a week if not a week and a half, since I can't reschedule right away. :x I'm thinking of just sticking some of my stuff in storage.

At least the apartment seems nice, and the super is hilarious. I also guess I live in New York now.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:05 pm

sbalive wrote:I CAN'T MOVE IN ON THE WEEKEND.

Oh, FUCK.

I assumed the email meant when you could get your keys, not physically move in. I guess I'll be on an air mattress for at least a week if not a week and a half, since I can't reschedule right away. :x I'm thinking of just sticking some of my stuff in storage.

At least the apartment seems nice, and the super is hilarious. I also guess I live in New York now.
Why can't you? I mean, technically I couldn't, but I did anyway. You just have to be on the DL about it.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Lem37 wrote:

Oh, FUCK.

Why can't you? I mean, technically I couldn't, but I did anyway. You just have to be on the DL about it.
There's no way. It would be a major move, and I've already been warned about the rent-controlled tenant below me who apparently regularly screams at the poor people who live above her because their kids run around on her floor. If it was a couple things, I'm sure it would be fine, but I was going to move my whole apartment. Except I'm not so sure anymore; I might shove a lot of it in storage. I don't really need nice things while I'm in law school. :(

So people brought in mattresses and minor stuff like that on the weekend? I assume a small move would be fine. A moving truck might be conspicuous though.
Last edited by sbalive on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zero1

New

Post by zero1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:When do we get our ID cards? I want to get to the gym...

Same. You can't do anything on campus without it. I'm practically dying to lift right about now.

And Lem, what was the demographic of the club you went to? Undergrads?
Last edited by zero1 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:20 pm

sbalive wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Oh, FUCK.

There's no way. It would be a major move, and I've already been warned about the rent-controlled tenant below me who apparently regularly screams at the poor people who live above her because their kids run around on her floor. If it was a couple things, I'm sure it would be fine, but I was going to move my whole apartment. Except I'm not so sure anymore; I might shove a lot of it in storage. I don't really need nice things while I'm in law school. :(
I have a feeling that the tenant would scream at you no matter what day you move. I found it necessary to move on a Sunday because the horse trailer which contained all of my shit would not be able to find parking on my street on a week/work day, so sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and say fuck it.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Lem37 wrote:
sbalive wrote: There's no way. It would be a major move, and I've already been warned about the rent-controlled tenant below me who apparently regularly screams at the poor people who live above her because their kids run around on her floor. If it was a couple things, I'm sure it would be fine, but I was going to move my whole apartment. Except I'm not so sure anymore; I might shove a lot of it in storage. I don't really need nice things while I'm in law school. :(
I have a feeling that the tenant would scream at you no matter what day you move. I found it necessary to move on a Sunday because the horse trailer which contained all of my shit would not be able to find parking on my street on a week/work day, so sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and say fuck it.
:?

I have to think about this now. Thanks for sharing this.

Okay. I'm going to move in 2 stages, and cut out the moving company. This was probably the right call anyway, but I was trying to get it done quickly. Tomorrow I sleep in Morningside Heights!

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:12 pm

zero1 wrote:
frank_the_tank wrote:When do we get our ID cards? I want to get to the gym...

Same. You can't do anything on campus without it. I'm practically dying to lift right about now.
Need a lifting partner? Haha

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 pm

X2 on the campus ID, I feel like an outsider on my own campus

also, i got a dolly to move furniture around, if anyone wants to borrow it, just PM me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”