Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
heyguys

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by heyguys » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Just checking in this thread, as I'll be attending HLS in the fall.

Ha, here's a question I'm interested to hear the answer to: Does anyone else feel sort of guilty about going to Harvard when all you really want is a well-paying job that will eventually lead to a nice, quiet life in the country/rural America (or take your choice here--big city, whatever)? I just want a nice, quiet life, and I feel kinda guilty for it :wink: :?:

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 pm

constellationx wrote:Ladies, what are you wearing? (Not the khakis and polos mentioned above, I assume...)
Im bringing jeans and sweaters and khakis just in case.

masterpinky0509

New

Post by masterpinky0509 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 am

heyguys wrote:Just checking in this thread, as I'll be attending HLS in the fall.

Ha, here's a question I'm interested to hear the answer to: Does anyone else feel sort of guilty about going to Harvard when all you really want is a well-paying job that will eventually lead to a nice, quiet life in the country/rural America (or take your choice here--big city, whatever)? I just want a nice, quiet life, and I feel kinda guilty for it :wink: :?:
Who exactly are you hurting by this desire? I'm not really sure you need to feel guilty about this -- it's not like they call HLS the Factory b/c it churns out Mother Teresa clones.

That being said, they will probably be sad if you don't donate a little money when you land that well-paying, stable job.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 am

masterpinky0509 wrote:
heyguys wrote:Just checking in this thread, as I'll be attending HLS in the fall.

Who exactly are you hurting by this desire? I'm not really sure you need to feel guilty about this -- it's not like they call HLS the Factory b/c it churns out Mother Teresa clones.

That being said, they will probably be sad if you don't donate a little money when you land that well-paying, stable job.
Ha, well, I should preface my response by saying that I was being somewhat facetious; that said, when I meet people who ask where I'm going to be attending school in the fall or already know, the convo usually goes something like:

People I haven't spoken to in years: You got into Harvard?
Me: (wondering how they know that) What? Oh, um yeah.
Them: Pretty exciting! You must be the first person from [insert town's name] ever to do something like that. I'll bet you're going to do such great things--have fun changing the world!
Me: Well, I'm not nearly clever nor driven enough to do something like that--I was actually just hoping to nail down a good job and...you know...just sort of live my life.
Them: Oh....well...I'm sure that'll be great too.

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30 pm

So this doesn't have anything to do with Harvard but, well, I feel at home here and I don't feel like posting it in a more appropriate thread. I just went complete at NYU...

...I applied in November.

Not entirely sure how that happened, but after I got into HLS I kinda stopped caring. Oops. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:31 am

Does anyone know how academic the reasons for requesting a 1-year deferal from HLS need to be? For example, as a hypothetical, is someone who wants to attempt a solo trans-continental cycling trip (say, for example, across South America or Africa) likely to be denied? The website says a "large" number of students are allowed to defer (it actually sounds pretty easy) but I'm not sure if this is only true if the year is spent doing something resume-building.

Sunshine2

New

Post by Sunshine2 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyone else having trouble filling out the initial finaid form? I keep getting an error :/

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Sunshine2 wrote:Anyone else having trouble filling out the initial finaid form? I keep getting an error :/
I was having problems too. Once I made sure all of these things were set, I was able to complete it:

Technical Requirements: This system requires use of a PC with Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 2.0 or higher (MAC computers and SAFARI not supported). Also, to successfully submit data via the online application, found within, DO NOT use a wireless connection and you may need to temporarily lower your internet security setting to Medium or Low.

I hope that helps!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:15 am

Wow. NYU has been pretty impressive in their faculty hires lately:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/news/GOODMAN_NEW_FACULTY

One less international law star at HLS...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yesbut

New

Post by yesbut » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 am

One less international law star at HLS...
Good thing they have about 75 others. Whiting, Feldman, Goldsmith, Alford, Freeman, Kennedy, Unger...

Seriously, though, Harvard's international law faculty is second to none in terms of scholarship. NYU may win the clinical professor battle, but even HLS's less famous human rights and humanitarian law clinical faculty are incredibly impressive. Sorry, just felt like someone had to defend HLS's honor.

This isn't to say that NYU isn't incredible for int'l law, and their steals from Columbia (and now Harvard) in the past year definitely add to that.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous how many int'l law faculty HLS as, even with a few poaches! :)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:26 am

Yeah, when it comes to faculty, I feel its hard to beat Harvard.

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:05 pm

as i just posted in the harvard fin aid thread, i am really angry about the fact that i spent an entire day filling out their aid forms only for them to come back with a number for my parents to contribute that has utterly no basis in reality.

think this is enough for me to say, no way harvard. one less admitted person who'll be going. i don't need to be in serious debt until i'm 40 just for the ego stroking of saying i go here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Pumpkin wrote:as i just posted in the harvard fin aid thread, i am really angry about the fact that i spent an entire day filling out their aid forms only for them to come back with a number for my parents to contribute that has utterly no basis in reality.

think this is enough for me to say, no way harvard. one less admitted person who'll be going. i don't need to be in serious debt until i'm 40 just for the ego stroking of saying i go here.
Law school is an investment. What did you expect?

Unless you're 30+ right now, not sure how you figure you'll be in serious debt until 40.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Pumpkin wrote:as i just posted in the harvard fin aid thread, i am really angry about the fact that i spent an entire day filling out their aid forms only for them to come back with a number for my parents to contribute that has utterly no basis in reality.

Wow Pumpkin, I'm sorry to hear that. That's rough. I know they have an appeal process. Could you try that and maybe over the phone explain things? Good luck.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Not sure what to make of my award yet.

My expected contribution is $0, which is good. The package is loan heavy, although there is a significant grant.

We'll see what my other options do, but my initial reaction to HLS's offer is mildly positive.

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:19 pm

SparkyLives wrote:Not sure what to make of my award yet.

My expected contribution is $0, which is good. The package is loan heavy, although there is a significant grant.

We'll see what my other options do, but my initial reaction to HLS's offer is mildly positive.
Likewise. Though the check is in the mail so it doesn't really matter at this point. Ha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Did Harvard get the financial aid package back to you within two weeks? I'm curious because I believe it'll be two weeks tomorrow that I submitted the last form, and I remember they sent an e-mail saying it might take longer.

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:01 pm

pinkflamingo wrote:Did Harvard get the financial aid package back to you within two weeks? I'm curious because I believe it'll be two weeks tomorrow that I submitted the last form, and I remember they sent an e-mail saying it might take longer.
The last document of mine they received was the week of 2/26.

I received my award on 3/20. Sooo, three weeks?
Last edited by SparkyLives on Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Ok, thanks. I guess I don't need to be too hopeful about receiving it tomorrow.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:10 am

So, what is everyone doing about housing. I have a feeling this will be my next big decision to make and I was curious about y'all's take.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am

iagolives wrote:So, what is everyone doing about housing. I have a feeling this will be my next big decision to make and I was curious about y'all's take.
We're going to wherever it is the first weekend in May to find housing. If we pick HLS, we intend to use Harvard Affiliated Housing as a backup plan.

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Yeah I think we'll have to schedule a trip out there in May too, or June for a housing blitzkrieg weekend.

So question: HLS does have a bit of an advantage for anyone interested in running for political office one day right?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Yeah I think we'll have to schedule a trip out there in May too, or June for a housing blitzkrieg weekend.

So question: HLS does have a bit of an advantage for anyone interested in running for political office one day right?
I'd say absolutely. I think the HLS degree is the closest thing out there to a golden ticket for politics.

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm living in non-campus, non-affiliated housing starting in August. I feel like May will be too early for me to go, since apartment vacancies usually don't come with so much notice. Is Boston different?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”