Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
pinkflamingo
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby pinkflamingo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

iagolives wrote:No, the year isn't longer, winter break is just really short (2009-2010: Dec 21-Jan 1). It's a similar time frame to that which Harvard 2L/3L have been using for a long time. The one upside as I see it, though, is you don't have finals after the break so the time you have off can be REAL vacation, not "I should be studying" guilt time off.

--LinkRemoved--

I see this as a bit of an upside to the new schedule. I don't like being the first class to try it out (nor do I like a shorter winter break), but the thought of worrying about/studying for finals over the holidays is worse, imo.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Awesome, so I fill out my FinAid application, hit submit aaaaand...

System Error, contact your IT department for help...

We apologize for the inconvenience. Contact the financial aid office if you still have problems using this application. Thank you for visiting our site.
Error Message:

System Exception

SouthernElle
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby SouthernElle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Objection wrote:Awesome, so I fill out my FinAid application, hit submit aaaaand...

System Error, contact your IT department for help...

We apologize for the inconvenience. Contact the financial aid office if you still have problems using this application. Thank you for visiting our site.
Error Message:

System Exception



It did that to me several times last night, but it let me submit a few minutes ago. There must be too many people trying to access the system.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Could it be that I'm running Windows on a Mac rather than on a true PC?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Objection wrote:Could it be that I'm running Windows on a Mac rather than on a true PC?


Message of the day: don't use Macs... ;)

Naw, I'm sure its just a server error or it timed out or something. I wouldn't worry.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Worked when I used firefox instead of IE.

Stupid ie.

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:58 pm

it works with safari too

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm so confused...

Harvard kept asking me about my BIOLOGICAL parents info, even though they are divorced and remarried.

Need access doesn't specify whether they want the info from my biological parents, or just one of the households (stepfather/mother or father/stepmother).

I also need to have my father and mother submit their W2s - does this need to match up with the information I send on the needaccess (if I do stepfather/mother on need access, do I send in my stepfather/mother W2s or my biological parents W2s)?

User avatar
excitedutterance
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby excitedutterance » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Objection wrote:I'm so confused...

Harvard kept asking me about my BIOLOGICAL parents info, even though they are divorced and remarried.

Need access doesn't specify whether they want the info from my biological parents, or just one of the households (stepfather/mother or father/stepmother).

I also need to have my father and mother submit their W2s - does this need to match up with the information I send on the needaccess (if I do stepfather/mother on need access, do I send in my stepfather/mother W2s or my biological parents W2s)?


What I got from the needaccess form was that you need to send the info for both HOUSEHOLDS, since both are remarried. I took it to include your stepmother/stepfather's information too. I dunno why they think they need that, but it sounded like what they want. I don't know about which W2s Harvard wants. Maybe check with the FinAid office on that one?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks, eu.

I did a little more research and needaccess has a Divorced/Separated parent thing that you fill out for the other household.

Will ask HLS about the W2s tomorrow.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby zabagabe » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Looks like we can join Sidebar, HLS's online forums/networking site. Looks pretty cool, and the nice thing is, all of last year's students' questions are up in the forums, so there's some helpful information there. :)

Dang, HLS is really on top of their game.

Pumpkin
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Pumpkin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:53 pm

i know i've hit pretty much every relevant thread b/c i'm so conflicted about choosing..but are most of you pretty sure you'll go to harvard? (if you don't get into yale?)

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby zabagabe » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: Pumpkin's question, no idea. ASWs will be a big factor for me. :)

Also, for anyone who's interested, there's also this website (http://www.hlcentral.com/) that lists HLS events. Probably not relevant quite yet, but at least last year, a current student said an event for current students to meet admits was posted there. Once again, very impressive!

User avatar
excitedutterance
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby excitedutterance » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:57 pm

zabagabe wrote:Looks like we can join Sidebar, HLS's online forums/networking site. Looks pretty cool, and the nice thing is, all of last year's students' questions are up in the forums, so there's some helpful information there. :)

Dang, HLS is really on top of their game.


Haha yeah, I joined earlier. Despite the fact that I haven't sent in the deposit, I seem to keep finding new ways to confirm the fact that I'm going to Harvard.

Edit: I suppose this is also relevant to Pumpkin's question :]

User avatar
optimist
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby optimist » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm

A question for those who got into H or Y or S.

How much is the deposit for each of these ?

Also, once you submit the deposit on May 1, are you allowed to change your mind (and lose the deposit $$$$ ) ?
Or (assuming you sent in the deposit) are you required to send in withdrawals to all other schools (including waitlists) by May 1 ?

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:36 am

Hey hey
Is everyone planning on living in Cambridge or is anyone checking surrounding towns like Somerville and what not?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:45 am

I plan to live as close to the law school as possible, so Cambridge for me.

I really want to live with other HLS students.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:50 am

For those of you who have set up sidebar and looked around, anyone else notice the message board having a eerie resemblance to TLS? Maybe I just don't hang around enough of them to notice the differences, but, if this was intentional, my words to Harvard are: Very Well Played. I am impressed. ;)

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:01 am

iagolives wrote:For those of you who have set up sidebar and looked around, anyone else notice the message board having a eerie resemblance to TLS? Maybe I just don't hang around enough of them to notice the differences, but, if this was intentional, my words to Harvard are: Very Well Played. I am impressed. ;)



Many forums look the same.

I was going to say they use the same forum source (or whatever you'd call it) - phpBB - but Sidebar uses JForum.

JForum seems to have pretty blatantly ripped off phpBB's style, however.

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Objection wrote:I plan to live as close to the law school as possible, so Cambridge for me.

I really want to live with other HLS students.


Ditto

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 pm

and yes to pumpkin

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 pm

Pumpkin wrote:i know i've hit pretty much every relevant thread b/c i'm so conflicted about choosing..but are most of you pretty sure you'll go to harvard? (if you don't get into yale?)


I feel pretty sure right now. I'm from the west coast and and def. plan on working in California to be closer to family so Cambridge would like a nice little adventure and the only time I'd live on the east coast. Yale seems great too but I'd have to see if it's in an area where my SO could find work. I don't think it's very close to a metro area.

So yeah, 92.8% sure right now. :)

skeletor
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby skeletor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Krswmact wrote:
Objection wrote:I plan to live as close to the law school as possible, so Cambridge for me.

I really want to live with other HLS students.


Ditto


Thirded. I'm thinking the upcoming ASW will do a lot to narrow this down.

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm SO excited about the asw it's ridiculous!
Last night, I dreamed that it was my first day at hls (but it was actually quite horrible lol)
Anywho, can't wait to meet y'all!

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby zabagabe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:26 pm

Anyone else extremely amused by the restricted scholarships application? This might be the first scholarship I've ever seen where you qualify by being a member of an overprivileged group: by being a resident of Westchester County, NY!. Seriously? Because the sons and daughters of Americas richest bankers and lawyers need special scholarships?

Hilarious.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests