Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
AZJenna

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby AZJenna » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Yeah, I’m definitely planning to try to participate in the reading group on Adoption, Reproduction, and Child Welfare...right up my ally.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:30 pm

AZJenna wrote:Yeah, I’m definitely planning to try to participate in the reading group on Adoption, Reproduction, and Child Welfare...right up my ally.

That sounded pretty cool, though I currently have my eye on the structural reasoning one. It seems like something that the nit-picky me would like. ;)

I have to say I was a bit disappointed that the one on interrogations was about the legality of interrogations rather than actual methods/ways to interrogate.

(...I'm also mildly worried what that says about me that I was that dissapointed. :shock: )

best username

Postby best username » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:33 pm

1. buy books on amazon or wait for book store? anyone know if there is a price difference?

2. im in section 7 and don't know any of the professors (actualyl don't know who any professors are period)...anyone know how to read some reviews / get feedback on them?

3. faculty leader meeting? please do not tell me this is mandatory....?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:33 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Second clueless blonde checking in....are you all going to buy the books on your book lists from Amazon or wait til you get to campus? Second, are you buying supplements now as well?

And Section 6's Torts prof says "no book required." Does anyone else have that for their courses?

Well, Amazon is out of stock with a couple of mine, so I won't be doing Amazon. I'm hoping to buy them online (maybe B&N) before I get there as well as the supplements, but I'm starting to wonder how fesable that will be.

Also, for those of you that have Leg and Reg this semester, what are you doing for supplements? The closest thing I can think of is Admin Law, but its rally not the best of fits. Any ideas/rumors/revelations?

EDIT: because I can't type. I feel like this will be my downfall in school...
Last edited by iagolives on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packergirl13

Postby packergirl13 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Oh I think the structural reasoning one looks interesting too!

And I am starting to feel like a real dumbass, but when everyone is discussing "supplements" are we just talking buying a canned outline or something?

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Oooohh I'm excited schedule is looking good, nothing too early...I definitely plan on checking Amazon for at least some books. Also, I second Obj's recommendation for Bob's to get a bed. They were really affordable and have a great return policy!
As an unrelated side note, people here drive like poop and it's quite stressful =/ (brought car for so)

Oh and girls, don't forget to include me if y'all still want to get together before school...I don't want to be left behind even though I'm on here very much! thankyouverymuch =]

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:47 pm

best username wrote:1. buy books on amazon or wait for book store? anyone know if there is a price difference?

2. im in section 7 and don't know any of the professors (actualyl don't know who any professors are period)...anyone know how to read some reviews / get feedback on them?

3. faculty leader meeting? please do not tell me this is mandatory....?

They aren't readable reviews but they do have the numerical data on their past teaching evals.

https://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/c ... index.html (you will need your username and password)

Does anyone know if there's a legal version of Rate My Professor or anything like that?

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm pretty excited about the no-early class thing section 4 has going on...

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:05 pm

packergirl13 wrote:Oh I think the structural reasoning one looks interesting too!

And I am starting to feel like a real dumbass, but when everyone is discussing "supplements" are we just talking buying a canned outline or something?

I'm sticking with Creatine, Arginine, and Glutamine. I expect the real gunners will be on HGH, CERA, etc.

abenn07

Postby abenn07 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm

laurathenerd wrote:I'm pretty excited about the no-early class thing section 4 has going on...

Yes--what a relief! I thought it would be just my luck to have an 8 a.m. class every day.

By the way, if anyone else has the tendency to rush over to Amazon to order the books, you might want to wait on the one for civ pro--I highly doubt we're using the property book that's listed!

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Section 7 Torts has a book.

I'm kind of ticked off that they even have famous professors teaching 1L classes. It's a bit unfair, since your 1L section is completely random.

In fact, just earlier today when someone asked me if Dershowitz would be teaching me, I said that I assumed he would only be teaching upper-level electives, since it would be unfair to put him with a random group of 1Ls.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: supplements.

I have it on good authority that you really don't need a supplement for every class.

Also, Administrative Law is the title of the main book for my Leg Reg class, written in part by the professor, Todd Rakoff.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Objection wrote:No class before 10:20 on MTW = happy Objection.

No class before 9:50 the whole week = happy Objection.

3 hour break between MT classes = happy Objection

3 classes and a faculty leader meeting on Thursday = sad Objection

I'm wondering if the faculty leader meeting is a) required (as opposed to just being basically optional office hours to visit the section leader during) and b) every week or just a first week thing.

Class at 10:20 on MT = happy excelsiorcaelo

Class at 8:20 on WThF = sad excelsiorcaelo

3+ hour lunch break between classes on M, WThF = happy excelsiorcaelo

No more than 3 classes (including Faculty Leader Meeting) in any one day = happy excelsiorcaelo

Only 2 classes on Friday, ending at 11:50am = happy excelsiorcaelo

Faculty Leader Meeting = ???

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm hoping this faculty leader meeting only meets like once a month or something like that and is just a chance for them to feed us and talk. You know, another attempt to show how "non competative and collegial" we all are.

(...hidden deep, deep, deep down inside...)

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Re: supplements.

I have it on good authority that you really don't need a supplement for every class.

Also, Administrative Law is the title of the main book for my Leg Reg class, written in part by the professor, Todd Rakoff.

The book for section V Leg and Reg this fall won't be published until 2010. (We're using copies of the manuscript.) I just mention it b/c, when I first saw that, I was so utterly confused for a few minutes, I almost called Harvard and told them they had made a mistake letting me in b/c I'm clearly not smart enough to order books.

So, [strike]Dorian[/strike] excelsior (and anyone else), are you treating Leg and Reg (supplement wise, at least) just like a 1L version of Administrative Law?

AZJenna

Postby AZJenna » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:43 pm

So, Dorian excelsior (and anyone else), are you treating Leg and Reg (supplement wise, at least) just like a 1L version of Administrative Law?

That's my plan. I'm going to pick up the E&E for Administrative Law and try to match up the chapters with what we are covering in class. I also saw a supplement on Amazon that I ordered like 2 months ago, that never arrived in Okinawa while I was there. Then I left, and it arrived 2 days later. So my boyfriend now has to ship it BACK to the U.S. Lame.

I'm not sure how well this book will match up, but this is the elusive book that I ordered: http://www.amazon.com/Legislation-Statu ... 931&sr=8-3

crazy_zoologist

Postby crazy_zoologist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 pm

For those of you ordering books, can we use the HLS residential mailing address for shipment? Or is it still too early? :?

webx05h09

Postby webx05h09 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 pm

In terms of textbooks, I'm pretty sure you can get them for much cheaper online. In my experience as an undergrad, the Harvard COOP tends to mark things up a bit.

However, if you do by books from the COOP, be sure to get a COOP card and show it everytime you make a purchase. You'll get a check for a certain percentage of the cost of all of your purchases for the year. With the cost of law school books, it could definitely add up :-)

And we can start shipping things so that they will arrive anytime after the 17th. They'll even put them in our room apparently: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... l#shipping

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 pm

abenn07 wrote:
laurathenerd wrote:I'm pretty excited about the no-early class thing section 4 has going on...

Yes--what a relief! I thought it would be just my luck to have an 8 a.m. class every day.

By the way, if anyone else has the tendency to rush over to Amazon to order the books, you might want to wait on the one for civ pro--I highly doubt we're using the property book that's listed!

Agreed! Starting class at 8 a.m. after three years at a job where I didn't have to go into work until 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. would have been painful. But 9:50 a.m. and 10:20 a.m., that I can handle.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Oooohh I'm excited schedule is looking good, nothing too early...I definitely plan on checking Amazon for at least some books. Also, I second Obj's recommendation for Bob's to get a bed. They were really affordable and have a great return policy!
As an unrelated side note, people here drive like poop and it's quite stressful =/ (brought car for so)

Oh and girls, don't forget to include me if y'all still want to get together before school...I don't want to be left behind even though I'm on here very much! thankyouverymuch =]

And I second the comment about Boston drivers being terrible. I got stuck there during rush hour a few years ago, and I can see why one travel writer once said that the Boston freeway system "was clearly designed by a person who had spent his childhood crashing toy trains."

anxiouslywaiting

Postby anxiouslywaiting » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:02 pm

HLS is on http://www.ratemyprofessors.com, although there are very few postings for some professors. It is somewhat helpful though.

crazy_zoologist

Postby crazy_zoologist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:04 pm

thanks, webx05h09! really useful info

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:31 pm

anxiouslywaiting wrote:HLS is on http://www.ratemyprofessors.com, although there are very few postings for some professors. It is somewhat helpful though.

Or no postings for some professors.

However, based on that, Rakoff, the leader and Leg Reg teacher for Section 7, is supposed to be some kind of professorial messiah. Looks good.

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:04 am

3 of the 4 profs in section 4's fall line-up were SCOTUS clerks. That's not even considering the star of the team, Fried, who we get in the spring.

/endbrag

P.S. One of our profs, Sargentich--call him Sarge-- "looks increasingly like Santa Claus each year."

This is going to be fun :)

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:52 am

sluggo wrote:3 of the 4 profs in section 4's fall line-up were SCOTUS clerks. That's not even considering the star of the team, Fried, who we get in the spring.

/endbrag

P.S. One of our profs, Sargentich--call him Sarge-- "looks increasingly like Santa Claus each year."

This is going to be fun :)

Not a bad line-up. Who are the three, btw? I saw that Steiker clerked for Thurgood Marshall and Elhauge clerked for Brennan but who is the third one?

Also, did you see that three of the four fall profs appear to have graduated in the HLS class?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”