Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:52 pm

iagolives wrote:
Objection wrote:Have all my furniture bought and ready to be delivered on 8/14. No turning back now!


lol, because of the huge chance of you turning back before this point... (Congrats on the furniture! 7-piece?)

Also, I feel like a spoiled brat on Christmas Eve, but I am REALLY eager to see my schedule, books, and profs. Can you imagine, over in CT, I believe that they don't even know thier schedule until a day or two into orientation. I don't know how they do it!



No 7 piece. No need.

Queen bed, chest (which is just a tall dresser), desk, bookshelf...all that's needed is a lamp, filing cabinet, and mattress. Maybe a nightstand. But those things (except for the mattress) are relatively small.

User avatar
yagrish
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby yagrish » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 pm

www.law.harvard.edu wrote:Things NOT to bring to HLS

* Candles, or any type of an open flame
* Cooking Appliances of any kind
* Halogen Lamps
* Hot Plates
* Microfridges/Microwaves
* Space Heaters
* Tapestries
* Toasters/Toaster Oven


which one is not like the others? Is there something I don't get?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Poor dormies. How will you live without a George Foreman?

User avatar
laurathenerd
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby laurathenerd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 pm

yagrish wrote:
www.law.harvard.edu wrote:Things NOT to bring to HLS

* Candles, or any type of an open flame
* Cooking Appliances of any kind
* Halogen Lamps
* Hot Plates
* Microfridges/Microwaves
* Space Heaters
* Tapestries
* Toasters/Toaster Oven


which one is not like the others? Is there something I don't get?


Well, obviously, if you bring any of the other no-no items AND you have tapestries, then you'll have an even bigger fire when the inevitable occurs...

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 am

Obj,

where did you buy your stuff?

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:03 am

Congrats to new admits!!!

Guess there's no turning back for me either...I'm on my way! In Rawlins, WY right now and should be home Saturday WOOHOO :D

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:04 am

Objection wrote:Poor dormies. How will you live without a George Foreman?


or a toaster?!

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:44 am

sluggo wrote:Obj,

where did you buy your stuff?


Bob's.

Queen Size frame (headboard and footboard included) ($199), chest (aka tall dresser; $200), desk ($399), bookshelf ($75), and bob o-pedic mattress ($400).

You can probably find a better deal on desks if you want to save a little more money. It's a nice desk, but it's not huge and probably not worth the $399. There is one from Ikea that's bigger and has more drawers for $299, but it is Ikea. And the one from Bob's matches the other furniture, and it also makes things easier having things delivered by one place at the same time.

Also: Congrats to all the new admits!

jco
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jco » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:25 pm

I go away on a two-week, Internetless vacation and everything gets interesting around here. Before I left we were all talking about corn, and the minute I go people find out their sections :? Anyway, assuming that the assignments are all worked out now I'm also in section 5 like a bunch of the rest of you. I'm definitely starting to get excited!

Also, about bringing microwaves to dorms, it seems like everyone I know had the same rule in undergrad but still had a microwave. I doubt they crack down more in law school. I'm still glad I get to live in an apartment with a microwave, toaster, rice cooker, oven, stove, and a George Foreman though :twisted: Also, I would have hated to leave my tapestry collection at home.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:33 pm

jco wrote:I go away on a two-week, Internetless vacation and everything gets interesting around here. Before I left we were all talking about corn, and the minute I go people find out their sections :? Anyway, assuming that the assignments are all worked out now I'm also in section 5 like a bunch of the rest of you. I'm definitely starting to get excited!

Also, about bringing microwaves to dorms, it seems like everyone I know had the same rule in undergrad but still had a microwave. I doubt they crack down more in law school. I'm still glad I get to live in an apartment with a microwave, toaster, rice cooker, oven, stove, and a George Foreman though :twisted: Also, I would have hated to leave my tapestry collection at home.


I thought about smuggling in a crock pot and microwave, but I hate the thoguht of the place I'm living reeking of food 24/7 so I think I'll vote against doing so. Also, it would make the medieval tapestry collection which I AM smuggling in smell like green chile or chicken, so that wouldn't work, obviously.

Also, are you in the section five fb group? If not, you should join! The link is on the HLS 2012 page.

jco
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jco » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:40 pm

iagolives wrote:
jco wrote:I go away on a two-week, Internetless vacation and everything gets interesting around here. Before I left we were all talking about corn, and the minute I go people find out their sections :? Anyway, assuming that the assignments are all worked out now I'm also in section 5 like a bunch of the rest of you. I'm definitely starting to get excited!

Also, about bringing microwaves to dorms, it seems like everyone I know had the same rule in undergrad but still had a microwave. I doubt they crack down more in law school. I'm still glad I get to live in an apartment with a microwave, toaster, rice cooker, oven, stove, and a George Foreman though :twisted: Also, I would have hated to leave my tapestry collection at home.


I thought about smuggling in a crock pot and microwave, but I hate the thoguht of the place I'm living reeking of food 24/7 so I think I'll vote against doing so. Also, it would make the medieval tapestry collection which I AM smuggling in smell like green chile or chicken, so that wouldn't work, obviously.

Also, are you in the section five fb group? If not, you should join! The link is on the HLS 2012 page.


I joined. I'm guessing the courses listed in the group description are our first semester classes. I guess I missed this somewhere; where did that info come from?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:55 pm

jco wrote:
iagolives wrote:
jco wrote:I go away on a two-week, Internetless vacation and everything gets interesting around here. Before I left we were all talking about corn, and the minute I go people find out their sections :? Anyway, assuming that the assignments are all worked out now I'm also in section 5 like a bunch of the rest of you. I'm definitely starting to get excited!

Also, about bringing microwaves to dorms, it seems like everyone I know had the same rule in undergrad but still had a microwave. I doubt they crack down more in law school. I'm still glad I get to live in an apartment with a microwave, toaster, rice cooker, oven, stove, and a George Foreman though :twisted: Also, I would have hated to leave my tapestry collection at home.


I thought about smuggling in a crock pot and microwave, but I hate the thoguht of the place I'm living reeking of food 24/7 so I think I'll vote against doing so. Also, it would make the medieval tapestry collection which I AM smuggling in smell like green chile or chicken, so that wouldn't work, obviously.

Also, are you in the section five fb group? If not, you should join! The link is on the HLS 2012 page.


I joined. I'm guessing the courses listed in the group description are our first semester classes. I guess I missed this somewhere; where did that info come from?


The original "leak" was actually in the transcript section rather than where it is now and so that had the class list. The list on the fb group is right though.

User avatar
borntorun
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:04 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby borntorun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:24 pm

Random question:

Has anybody been able to get their HLS email to work on their phone? Its refusing to work on mine and I'm trying to figure out if its a problem with my phone or with the HLS email server. Thanks.

crazy_zoologist
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby crazy_zoologist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 pm

I am using a desktop e-mail agent and it works fine. So I don't think the server has a problem.

Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully:

--LinkRemoved--

Some key settings are:

# E-mail Address: username@jdxx.law.harvard.edu
# User Name: username@jdxx.law.harvard.edu
# POP Server: pop.students.law.harvard.edu
# Password: HLS password
# SMTP server: smtp.students.law.harvard.edu

Default port settings must be changed as well
# Incoming port(POP3): 995
# Outgoing port(SMTP): 465
Both of them require an encrypted connection (SSL).

:)

User avatar
borntorun
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:04 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby borntorun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:I am using a desktop e-mail agent and it works fine. So I don't think the server has a problem.

Make sure you follow all the instructions carefully:

--LinkRemoved--

Some key settings are:

# E-mail Address: username@jdxx.law.harvard.edu
# User Name: username@jdxx.law.harvard.edu
# POP Server: pop.students.law.harvard.edu
# Password: HLS password
# SMTP server: smtp.students.law.harvard.edu

Default port settings must be changed as well
# Incoming port(POP3): 995
# Outgoing port(SMTP): 465
Both of them require an encrypted connection (SSL).

:)


Yeah, I've got it working fine on my computer, but for some reason it won't work with my phone. The only reason I thought it might be something on Harvard's end is that my phone is working fine with other pop3 accounts. Thanks, though.

Go_Cardinals
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Go_Cardinals » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:12 pm

ya I can't get it to work on my iphone either. And the IT people are IDIOTS. they don't even know what an alias is.

User avatar
laurathenerd
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby laurathenerd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 pm

Ugh all this iPhone talk makes me want one....instead I have a regular old cellphone that my dad bought in Europe, which doesn't have a charger that works in our plugs over here...so I have to carry an adapter around along with my charger! Ridiculous. My first purchase post-law school is going to be a sweet phone.

crazy_zoologist
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby crazy_zoologist » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:50 am

Just confirmed hls mail won't work on my ipod touch either. Very strange indeed.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 am

Just set up your HLS email to go to your gmail account (if you have one) and then link your gmail account...

prelaw
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby prelaw » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:51 am

I still don't have access to my courses. Is this true for everyone?

jrs12
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jrs12 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 am

My HLS email works fine on my Blackberry and my Iphone.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:43 am

laurathenerd wrote:Ugh all this iPhone talk makes me want one....instead I have a regular old cellphone that my dad bought in Europe, which doesn't have a charger that works in our plugs over here...so I have to carry an adapter around along with my charger! Ridiculous. My first purchase post-law school is going to be a sweet phone.


Lol, I'm with Laura. My phone calls and texts but doesn't do this "lets fly around the interwebs to check mail" thing...\

I'm kind of glad though; this whole 21st-century thing seems rather complicated... ;)

It's getting close, ladies and gents! I'm so revved!

elliej
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby elliej » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:17 pm

is there a way we can find our sections if we missed the "glitch"?

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:58 pm

elliej wrote:is there a way we can find our sections if we missed the "glitch"?


From the facebook group:

"log in to your HLS MyMail account. Go to the Utilities tab. Then go to My Information. The number next to the courses for which you are registered (scroll down) is your section."

I hope this helps! :)

Go_Cardinals
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Go_Cardinals » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 pm

How'd you set up the harvard email for the iphone?




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest