Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mallard

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by mallard » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:24 pm

The 1 means section 1. Other people in that section will be able to tell you which classes are first semester and which are second semester.

joschmo

New

Post by joschmo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:33 pm

lindsaymcd1 wrote:Hi Guys

It has been a while since I posted on here but I have still been following the forum. I found my class info using my HLS email and the utilities tab that was mentioned earlier but have no idea how to relate this to a section number.

It says:

Civil Procedure 1
Faculty Leader Meeting 1
Contracts 1
Criminal Law 1
LRW 1B
Leg and Reg 1
Property 1

Property Solving Workshop 1
Problems: Team Meeting Block 1
Torts 1

Can anyone help? This seems like a lot of classes!

Thanks
Bolds in Fall for Section 1

lindsaymcd1

New

Post by lindsaymcd1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks!

lindsaymcd1

New

Post by lindsaymcd1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Is there a facebook group for Section 1?!

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:07 pm

lindsaymcd1 wrote:Is there a facebook group for Section 1?!
Yeah, I think so, the main facebook group has links for all of them. Just search HLS 2012 and it'll show up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 pm

This might be a silly question but I was just wondering....is LRW graded the same way as the other classes (HP/P/LP/F) or is it a straight-up P/F?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm reposting this from the YLS thread:
Hey all --

I come warily into this thread from the dark side, aka Harvard Law. Please allow me to live. I see iago already touched upon HLS-YLS group idea earlier, but I felt I should elaborate a little bit.

First, it is, at this stage, nothing more than a Facebook group. Where it goes from here depends on the interest over the coming months. Right now, it is just a place for members of both schools to communicate, debate, brainstorm, etc.

An official, TLS-esque forum may be forthcoming, depending.

If the interest is high enough, there is a lot that could be done and the group could be quite powerful. In the short-term, simply for getting to know some new people, professional networking, discussion of legal matters, community-betterment projects, etc. In the long-term (and this would obviously be very long-term), it could be a sort of alum association, fund-raising, politics, scholarships for students interested in law, helping each other out with career moves, etc.

Second, it wouldn't be an exclusive group in the sense that people from SCCN would be barred from participation. The group is just intended to - at least initially - foster fraternization between YLS and HLS. As someone mentioned, Stanford and Berkeley have a lot of opportunities for networking, as do Columbia and NYU - why not the two New England Ivies, that just happen to be the top 2 law schools in the nation? A lot could be accomplished by putting our heads together.

Third, I'm all for a good rivalry. I went to an SEC school for undergrad. I know all about rivalries. Rivalries, however, shouldn't preclude cooperation for the greater good. An intense rivalry can be maintained between friends. I'm a Steelers fan, and am close friends with a Ravens fan. Just sayin'...

Anyway, as I said, this is very early and a bit of an experiment at this point. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I think it might be something worth trying.

If you're interested, PM iago or myself, or request to join the facebook group here
A little background if you couldn't follow: iago and I are interested in starting a group (nothing more than a FB group at this point) to foster communication between HLS and YLS. We are trying to gauge interest in this idea.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 pm

8:35AM.

Man.

RonSantoRules

New

Post by RonSantoRules » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Fellow HLSers, I'll be transferring to HLS in the fall and am trying to figure out what the heck to do for housing. I've got about 10 days before I have to start heading out to Boston, and I have no place to live. Anyone looking for roommates? Should I just use the HRES website and/or Craigslist to find some random roommates or a studio? Hopefully someone might be able to give some housing advice considering that (1) I've never been to Boston and (2) I won't be able to look at places before signing a lease. Thanks for any help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AZJenna

New

Post by AZJenna » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Fellow HLSers, I'll be transferring to HLS in the fall and am trying to figure out what the heck to do for housing. I've got about 10 days before I have to start heading out to Boston, and I have no place to live. Anyone looking for roommates? Should I just use the HRES website and/or Craigslist to find some random roommates or a studio? Hopefully someone might be able to give some housing advice considering that (1) I've never been to Boston and (2) I won't be able to look at places before signing a lease. Thanks for any help!
I can only speak from my own experience, and I'm sure that others who went about finding housing in a different way will have great advice about the different avenues available to you, but I had luck using a broker. I have a pet, so I knew I had to live off-campus, and was able to find a 3-bedroom apartment (found 2 roommates on FB) 5 minutes from campus. I found the broker by looking at ads on Craigslist, which seem to be mostly posted by brokers, and then scheduling appointments with 2-3 different brokers. Some of them turned out to be flaky, but one should me multiple possibilities including the one I ended up choosing. If you PM me I can give you his name. If I were you, though, I'd be obsessively checking Craigslist for every possibility and don't settle for an apartment you haven't seen until you check it out on Google Maps or Earth and see lots of photos.

Good luck!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am

laurathenerd wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:
AZJenna wrote:
Also, it looks like there might be another way to check your section. Click the "Utilities" tab on your HLS e-mail. Then, after you sign in, click "My Information" on the left hand side.

Can anyone tell if the numbers showing up there are the same ones they were seeing earlier?
Yep, all of the information is the same for me.
Nice. That means I'm in Section 4. Hi to all my future section mates!
Yay IowaGirl! Welcome to the 4s!

iagolives, thanks for the link to the facebook group! Unfortunately I'm going to have to say that there is no way Paul is the THIRD best Beatle. But I could go on and on about this for forever (you're talking to the girl who forced her Beatle-hating friend into a day trip to Liverpool while traveling in the UK). Excelsior, 2nd best can be debated, but only if George is up for 1st. And that's all I have to say about THAT.

so when do you ladies get into the Cambridge area? Maybe we could get together sometime and do some town exploring and/or socializing over caffeinated beverages?

*edit: I get there on the 8th but I'm leaving for my honeymoon right away so I won't really be there til the 15th.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:50 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:
so when do you ladies get into the Cambridge area? Maybe we could get together sometime and do some town exploring and/or socializing over caffeinated beverages?

*edit: I get there on the 8th but I'm leaving for my honeymoon right away so I won't really be there til the 15th.
I still haven't decided when I'm driving up...probably not until the 23rd or 24th. But once I'm in town I'm definitely up for some exploring/socializing :)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote: so when do you ladies get into the Cambridge area? Maybe we could get together sometime and do some town exploring and/or socializing over caffeinated beverages?
Irish coffee is a caffeinated beverage. :D

As is a vodka Red Bull.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am

laurathenerd wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:

I still haven't decided when I'm driving up...probably not until the 23rd or 24th. But once I'm in town I'm definitely up for some exploring/socializing :)
same here. I've been in the area for the past decade :), but am not moving to HLS housing until 26th

btw, congrats, Frenchie!

lindsaymcd1

New

Post by lindsaymcd1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 am

laurathenerd wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:

Hi ladies!

I hope I'm not just inviting myself here but I would love to meet up with some fellow students before school starts. I am arriving in Cambridge around the 12th although I can't get into my rental until Sept 1st - what a pain that is going to be! So I will be in a short-term let for a couple of weeks and want to get to know people and explore the area as much as possible before school begins and my life is officially over!

Lindsay

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:51 am

lindsaymcd1 wrote:
laurathenerd wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:

Hi ladies!

I hope I'm not just inviting myself here but I would love to meet up with some fellow students before school starts. I am arriving in Cambridge around the 12th although I can't get into my rental until Sept 1st - what a pain that is going to be! So I will be in a short-term let for a couple of weeks and want to get to know people and explore the area as much as possible before school begins and my life is officially over!

Lindsay
I, for one, don't intend to let law school ruin my life. Fight the power!

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote: so when do you ladies get into the Cambridge area? Maybe we could get together sometime and do some town exploring and/or socializing over caffeinated beverages?

As is a vodka Red Bull.
I'm in the dorms, so I won't be getting in town until the 25th or 26th but would definitely be up for some socializing.

And excelsiocaelo (or should I be calling you Zefron?), I like the way you think. That said, I'm up for nonalcoholic caffeinated beverages as well. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 am

IowaGirl wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:

As is a vodka Red Bull.
I'm in the dorms, so I won't be getting in town until the 25th or 26th but would definitely be up for some socializing.

And excelsiocaelo (or should I be calling you Zefron?), I like the way you think. That said, I'm up for nonalcoholic caffeinated beverages as well. :)
Actually, just call me excelsiorcaelo... in person. ex-KEL-see-or KY-low.

We can discuss it over coffee and corn on the cob.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Actually, just call me excelsiorcaelo... in person. ex-KEL-see-or KY-low.
Wait, wait, wait, classical pronunciation? Lame.

Iowa, call him ex-CHEL-see-or CHAE-lo. It's awesomer. ;)

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:

As is a vodka Red Bull.

Actually, just call me excelsiorcaelo... in person. ex-KEL-see-or KY-low.

We can discuss it over coffee and corn on the cob.
A true Iowan would never eat east coast corn.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:Actually, just call me excelsiorcaelo... in person. ex-KEL-see-or KY-low.

Those fuckers in Italy sure ain't scholars. Church Latin? Pfft!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

IowaGirl wrote: A true Iowan would never eat east coast corn.
I can see you jonesing for corn in a couple months right now:
IowaGirl wrote:I need it! I need that corny rush! Just put it in my veins!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am

iagolives wrote:

No, call him Zefron.

Zef: You cannot escape it. Succumb.
A true Iowan would never eat east coast corn.
Jersey Sweet Corn > all. Never had corn that I knew came from Iowa, but I'd be absolutely shocked if it could top Jersey's.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:38 am

mallard wrote:8:35AM.

Man.
ouch. section time? :? those late night slumber parties are not going to be the best thing for you.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:46 am

Objection wrote: Jersey Sweet Corn > all. Never had corn that I knew came from Iowa, but I'd be absolutely shocked if it could top Jersey's.
Great, you got him started on corn.... Don't say I didn't warn you. :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”