Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
IowaGirl

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby IowaGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Haha, for what it's worth "your" part of the country (or anywhere outside the Midwest) does scare most of us "pro-corn types" into staying in Flyover Country forever. :)

And I know Ames well. Only about 35 minutes from where I grew up in Des Moines. Though, I'm technically in Florida at the moment. I moved down there after finishing UG and am now the local corn expert.

P.S. Bonus points for knowing Iowa grows corn, not potatoes. I also get lots of Boise-related questions from the geographically challenged. Ditto for anything related to Ohio.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Haha, for what it's worth "your" part of the country (or anywhere outside the Midwest) does scare most of us "pro-corn types" into staying in Flyover Country forever. :)

And I know Ames well. Only about 35 minutes from where I grew up in Des Moines. Though, I'm technically in Florida at the moment. I moved down there after finishing UG and am now the local corn expert.

P.S. Bonus points for knowing Iowa grows corn, not potatoes. I also get lots of Boise-related questions from the geographically challenged. Ditto for anything related to Ohio.

ROFLMAO.

Ames Hall. In Gropius. What is a Des Moines? :P

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:07 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Haha, for what it's worth "your" part of the country (or anywhere outside the Midwest) does scare most of us "pro-corn types" into staying in Flyover Country forever. :)

Yeah, I hear you. A lot of east coasters geographically black out most of our part of the country. I went to school in WA in a place that was not Seattle and I was trying to explain where it was to a few quite east-coast people at the ASW. I finally settled with being from Montana. *sigh*

And, iowagirl, GO OHIO! :)

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:09 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:

ROFLMAO.

Hey Dorian (as I am going to call you now), do you know if there is a gropius fb group/thread on the harvard 2012 group? If there isn't, it might be a cool idea to get to know our new neighbors. Maybe we could get one going?

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:13 pm

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:

ROFLMAO.

Hey Dorian (as I am going to call you now), do you know if there is a gropius fb group/thread on the harvard 2012 group? If there isn't, it might be a cool idea to get to know our new neighbors. Maybe we could get one going?

I've already got one nickname! I don't need another!

And that does sound like a good idea. You have my approval to proceed.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:43 pm

Ok, I apparently have Midwest tunnel vision. (The Iowa version of Ames is home to Iowa State University) :oops:

In my defense, I was deadset on living in North, so I didn't spent much time looking at Gropius. I knew I couldn't bring myself to trade in my one-bedroom apartment for a 8-by-10 room.

And all you need to know about Des Moines is it's home to the Iowa Caucuses, the Iowa State Fair and was almost home to the first butter sculpture of Michael Jackson.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleash ... ckson.html

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:48 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Ok, I apparently have Midwest tunnel vision. (The Iowa version of Ames is home to Iowa State University) :oops:

In my defense, I was deadset on living in North, so I didn't spent much time looking at Gropius. I knew I couldn't bring myself to trade in my one-bedroom apartment for a 8-by-10 room.

And all you need to know about Des Moines is it's home to the Iowa Caucuses, the Iowa State Fair and was almost home to the first butter sculpture of Michael Jackson.

My room is 16 x 12. :D :D :D So happy.

Too bad RE: MJ butter statue. Objection could have licked its buttery crotch. :twisted:

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:51 pm

Nice. But I'm guessing you still have to share a bathroom with 20 other people. I had no desire to dig out the shower flipflops and shower caddy from UG.

And not sure why a butter Michael Jackson was so objectionable when the state had no problem doing a butter Jesus the year it did a butter Last Supper.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:53 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Nice. But I'm guessing you still have to share a bathroom with 20 other people. I had no desire to dig out the shower flipflops and shower caddy from UG.

And not sure why a butter Michael Jackson was so objectionable when the state had no problem doing a butter Jesus the year it did a butter Last Supper.

... because it's Iowa.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:56 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:Nice. But I'm guessing you still have to share a bathroom with 20 other people. I had no desire to dig out the shower flipflops and shower caddy from UG.

... because it's Iowa.

True, the state has to keep it interesting somehow. We don't have much else....

jco

Postby jco » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Objection wrote:Anyone know of racquetball courts close to campus?

Hemenway has squash courts that you could probably use in a pinch. Otherwise you probably have to go across the river into Allston. There's a huge athletic complex there, which must have racquetball courts.

And, to bring up something from way back, while it may technically be FAS's gym, Hemenway is known as "the law school gym" and is populated mostly by law students. It's basically all ours :twisted:

Also, hey Iowagirl! Belated welcome to the thread. While I'm an east-coaster myself, my brother went to Grinnell, so I know at least a little bit about the state. Driving around out there it seemed like there was almost more soy than corn.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:29 pm

jco wrote:
Objection wrote:Anyone know of racquetball courts close to campus?

Hemenway has squash courts that you could probably use in a pinch. Otherwise you probably have to go across the river into Allston. There's a huge athletic complex there, which must have racquetball courts.

And, to bring up something from way back, while it may technically be FAS's gym, Hemenway is known as "the law school gym" and is populated mostly by law students. It's basically all ours :twisted:

Also, hey Iowagirl! Belated welcome to the thread. While I'm an east-coaster myself, my brother went to Grinnell, so I know at least a little bit about the state. Driving around out there it seemed like there was almost more soy than corn.

Thanks, jco! And Grinnell is a great school...in the middle of absolutely nowhere....but a great school. As for soy vs. corn distinction: there's a reason for that, but I think I've monopolized the thread with enough Iowa talk for one day, so won't bore anyone with it.

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Okay so this random, but did everyone here live in the dorms all during UG? At my school dorms were for freshmen ONLY. I couldn't imagine having to go back to living in dorms again (I'm not a fan of communal bathrooms and kitchens), and I was shocked to discover that LAW students live in dorms at Harvard, of all places!!! Wow.

And IowaGirl, I know all about the differences between Iowa and Idaho, if only because of the joke we used to tell about why Utah leans towards Idaho (it's because Idaho sucks). Of course, the only reason why I've ever even been to Iowa was because my coach got lost when we flew in for a track meet in Nebraska, and we went the wrong way on the freeway and ended up in Iowa...

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:42 pm

laurathenerd wrote:Okay so this random, but did everyone here live in the dorms all during UG? At my school dorms were for freshmen ONLY. I couldn't imagine having to go back to living in dorms again (I'm not a fan of communal bathrooms and kitchens), and I was shocked to discover that LAW students live in dorms at Harvard, of all places!!! Wow.

And IowaGirl, I know all about the differences between Iowa and Idaho, if only because of the joke we used to tell about why Utah leans towards Idaho (it's because Idaho sucks). Of course, the only reason why I've ever even been to Iowa was because my coach got lost when we flew in for a track meet in Nebraska, and we went the wrong way on the freeway and ended up in Iowa...

Most people lived in dorms at my UG. To be fair, we had suites, not individual rooms--multiple bedrooms attached to a common room. Some people did move off campus, but they were in the minority. I've always preferred the camaraderie of living close to lots ofpeople. After I get to know people during 1L, though, I intend to move off into an apartment.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:38 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:Ok, I apparently have Midwest tunnel vision. (The Iowa version of Ames is home to Iowa State University) :oops:

My room is 16 x 12. :D :D :D So happy.

16x12!!! Wow.... I'll be in the 8x10. Woot.

And Laura, yeah, I cannot imagine going back into dorms. However, for money reasons, I will be in the dorms. It won't be a "pleasant" experience by any means but, hey, 1) it's a good place to meet lots of people outside of your section and 2) it will only be for a year. So, here we go.

Also, I think I've mentioned this before, but any of you that have a kitchen, I will trade you food for kitchen use. FYI. :D

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:38 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:After I get to know people during 1L, though, I intend to move off into an apartment.

+1

jpaul09

Postby jpaul09 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Hey, is anyone living in Hastings? I just got offered something there off of the housing waitlist today, but I'm kind of hesitant about taking it because there's only one kitchen for 96 people. I like to cook (and I'm trying not to do fast food), so this could really be a problem...

Anyone know how big the kitchen is and if a lot of people use it?

Thanks in advance!

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:17 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Hey, is anyone living in Hastings? I just got offered something there off of the housing waitlist today, but I'm kind of hesitant about taking it because there's only one kitchen for 96 people. I like to cook (and I'm trying not to do fast food), so this could really be a problem...

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about Hastings but, when I was at the ASW, the people I talked to said that the kitchens in Gropius get pretty crowded and gross a few months into term and pretty much unusable by the end of the year.

I can't say how true this is or if this applies to Hastings, but that's what I heard FWIW.

jpaul09

Postby jpaul09 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:22 pm

iagolives wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:Hey, is anyone living in Hastings? I just got offered something there off of the housing waitlist today, but I'm kind of hesitant about taking it because there's only one kitchen for 96 people. I like to cook (and I'm trying not to do fast food), so this could really be a problem...

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about Hastings but, when I was at the ASW, the people I talked to said that the kitchens in Gropius get pretty crowded and gross a few months into term and pretty much unusable by the end of the year.

I can't say how true this is or if this applies to Hastings, but that's what I heard FWIW.

Agh....thanks. That sucks. On another note, are we not allowed microfridges/microwaves? It only says something about minifridges on the HLS Web site.

jpaul09

Postby jpaul09 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:23 pm

Also, I second iagolives. I will bake and cook entire dinners for anyone who allows me to use their kitchen if I end up taking this Hastings room.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 pm

jpaul09 wrote:
iagolives wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Agh....thanks. That sucks. On another note, are we not allowed microfridges/microwaves? It only says something about minifridges on the HLS Web site.

I was under the impression fridges were a go but microwaves were not. I have no reason why I think this beyond I think I read it somewhere a while ago, however, haha.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 pm

If we live on campus, are we still entitled to lockers? Is there some sort of scarcity associated with them?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 am

prelaw wrote:If we live on campus, are we still entitled to lockers? Is there some sort of scarcity associated with them?

We aren't. I don't know why. I was kind of looking forward to one of those brightly-colored things!

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:05 am

iagolives wrote:
prelaw wrote:If we live on campus, are we still entitled to lockers? Is there some sort of scarcity associated with them?

We aren't. I don't know why. I was kind of looking forward to one of those brightly-colored things!

Thanks. I guess the reasoning is on campus residents don't have to haul their stuff around in the same way that off campus students have to, though I wonder about the convenience of those lockers compared to dorm rooms.

Krswmact

Postby Krswmact » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:26 am

you are allowed mini fridges but not microwaves/microfridges (i asked a few weeks ago). The exact details are on the 2008 housing handbook I think. You can find that on the on-campus housing website.

in hoping the kitchen on my floor stays decent. Im hoping to make good use of it.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”