Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Capercaillie

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Capercaillie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 pm

conn09 wrote:Is there anyone else in North Hall?

conn09 wrote:Is anyone else going to get a locker?

conn09 wrote:Is anyone going to buy the special edition Harvard Lenovo notebook?

Independence Fail.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Independence Fail.

I didn't believe I asked if anyone in this thread was an asshole. This is a thread about Harvard Law's class of 2012, How dare I make comments about what I'm doing and seeing if anyone else is doing. I'm so sorry I don't know the proper rules of discussion about the things that we will all be doing at Harvard next year.

So please tell me, what should I be talking about in a thread about Harvard Law School?

Objection

Postby Objection » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
conn09 wrote:Is there anyone else in North Hall?

conn09 wrote:Is anyone else going to get a locker?

conn09 wrote:Is anyone going to buy the special edition Harvard Lenovo notebook?

Independence Fail.

Well, I knew our incoming class had looked too good to be true.

RoyalT

Postby RoyalT » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:47 pm

HOW YOU DOIN', OBJECTION? Nice tar. :wink:

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:48 pm

One of you needs to show Professor Gates how to get into his own house

Capercaillie

Postby Capercaillie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 am

conn09 wrote:
Capercaillie wrote:
Independence Fail.

I didn't believe I asked if anyone in this thread was an asshole. This is a thread about Harvard Law's class of 2012, How dare I make comments about what I'm doing and seeing if anyone else is doing. I'm so sorry I don't know the proper rules of discussion about the things that we will all be doing at Harvard next year.

So please tell me, what should I be talking about in a thread about Harvard Law School?

Is anyone else going to answer this? Mommy? Daddy?

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:48 am

Please don't ruin this otherwise cool thread with needless hating.

On a lighter note, I was really impressed with the ls gym considering that it's just for us. I was expecting something smaller and older. The fact that it's a 30 second jog from most places on campus is going to be crucial for those hard-to-motivate winter workouts :)

crazy_zoologist

Postby crazy_zoologist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:23 am

sluggo wrote:Please don't ruin this otherwise cool thread with needless hating.

On a lighter note, I was really impressed with the ls gym considering that it's just for us. I was expecting something smaller and older. The fact that it's a 30 second jog from most places on campus is going to be crucial for those hard-to-motivate winter workouts :)

Are you referring to Hemenway Gymnasium? Actually Hemenway belongs to Harvard University's Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). So it is definitely not "just for us". Law school affiliates get to use it for free because (purely my speculations here) the law school helped pay for the gym's renovation in 2005 . :P :P

Hemenway is a recreational fitness facility located in Harvard's North Yard, across Massachusetts Avenue from Cambridge Common. An FAS building near Harvard Yard housing and adjacent to Harvard Law School (HLS), Hemenway is used heavily by Harvard College freshmen, science students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and HLS students, faculty, and staff.

For more information: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/200 ... enway.html

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 am

To: HLS Students
Subject: Annual reception - July 30

Dear Harvard Law School student,

If you will be in or near New York this summer, please join us for the Harvard Law School Annual Summer Reception at Sotheby's in New York City on Thursday, July 30.

The reception is the largest gathering of Harvard Law School students and alumni anywhere. This is a purely social function -- NO SPEECHES, NO FUNDRAISING and NO CHARGE! We are particularly grateful to the benefactors and sponsoring firms who underwrite the cost of the extraordinary food, beverages and live music, including a special wine tasting of wines from around the world.

Please join us at Sotheby's, 1334 York Avenue at 72nd Street, Thursday, July 30, 7:00-9:00 p.m.

Hmmm...anyone else get this/considering going?

What kind of attire would be appropriate?

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Business cazh? I'd check out the Sotheby's site. Sounds like a preppy place. I like wearing a suit, though.

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Firms flock to hottest party of the summer: Harvard's
New York Law Journal
Tonight the Harvard Law School Association of New York is throwing its 25th annual summer reception. Over the years, the gathering has become one of the legal community's tentpole summer events,

That's a snippet about it from a paid article I can't access.

Definitely sounds like something worth going to.

But I don't know what to wear? A suit? Slacks and a button down? Neither?

I found a few pictures, but none seem to include students.

Business cazh? I'd check out the Sotheby's site. Sounds like a preppy place. I like wearing a suit, though.

I'll wear a suit if you wear a suit.

pfflyer28

Postby pfflyer28 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:35 pm

not sure if this helps, but when I am completely unsure on how people will dress, I try to think of it as in which situation would I be more uncomfortable:

everyone wearing a suit and me wearing slacks and a button down

OR

everyone wearing slacks/button down/polo and me wearing a suit

I usually find the second more bothersome, so tend to go with the business casual route (sometimes throw on a tie)

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:37 pm

FWIW, here are some pics of last year's event:

--LinkRemoved--

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Been following this forum for awhile, but now that the law school secret is out at my job I can finally say hello. Can't wait for the fall.

Also, to answer conn09's (original) question, I'm in North (third floor), and I applied for a locker a couple of days ago. Not sure I'll end up with one, though.

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:07 pm

pfflyer28 wrote:not sure if this helps, but when I am completely unsure on how people will dress, I try to think of it as in which situation would I be more uncomfortable:

OR

I usually find the second more bothersome, so tend to go with the business casual route (sometimes throw on a tie)

When in doubt, a blazer is always safe. Trousers could be heather-grey gabs or chinos. If you skip the tie, then wear a button-down collar.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:10 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Hi everyone,

Been following this forum for awhile, but now that the law school secret is out at my job I can finally say hello. Can't wait for the fall.

Also, to answer conn09's (original) question, I'm in North (third floor), and I applied for a locker a couple of days ago. Not sure I'll end up with one, though.

Welcome to the board and HLS

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Welcome!

If you don't mind my asking, how would posting blow your cover, but not following the thread?

When I was working, I had my browser set to not load images, since that "Top Law Schools" masthead is visible from space.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm

How would people at your job know that you're posting here? If they just follow your Internet traffic, they would already have seen your lurking about.

Welcome, though!

Objection;

Thems some ugly peoples at the HLS bash.

I'm suiting up.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm

jrs12 wrote:
pfflyer28 wrote:not sure if this helps, but when I am completely unsure on how people will dress, I try to think of it as in which situation would I be more uncomfortable:

OR

When in doubt, a blazer is always safe. Trousers could be heather-grey gabs or chinos. If you skip the tie, then wear a button-down collar.

This is not credited. There is no reason to wear a collar that buttons down unless you are also wearing a tie.

Even if you're wearing a tie, you don't need to wear a collar that buttons down, provided that your collar provides sufficient coverage.

Also, I think the buttons peeking through the collar just look kind of ugly. But that's a personal preference.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:14 pm

LOL @ both of us wondering why IowaGirl could lurk but not post, though.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Haha, I'm probably just paranoid. Mainly because I work with a bunch of newspaper reporters whose job is to find things out about people.

I also know I'm not the only reporter lurking on TLS.

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 pm

IowaGirl wrote:Haha, I'm probably just paranoid. Mainly because I work with a bunch of newspaper reporters whose job is to find things out about people.

I also know I'm not the only reporter lurking on TLS.

Hi, and welcome :)

Zeffron: We will be suit brothers <3

I just bought my first suit this summer. I've been looking for an excuse to wear it.

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:41 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
jrs12 wrote:

OR

This is not credited. There is no reason to wear a collar that buttons down unless you are also wearing a tie.

Even if you're wearing a tie, you don't need to wear a collar that buttons down, provided that your collar provides sufficient coverage.

Also, I think the buttons peeking through the collar just look kind of ugly. But that's a personal preference.

With a jacket. Point and spead collars are easily flattened under a jacket, leading to a happy hour look rather than a cocktail party look.

EDIT: But perhaps we should keep our sartorial neuroses to the dedicated thread.

IowaGirl

Postby IowaGirl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 pm

jrs12 wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
jrs12 wrote:

OR

With a jacket. Point and spead collars are easily flattened under a jacket, leading to a happy hour look rather than a cocktail party look.

EDIT: But perhaps we should keep our sartorial neuroses to the dedicated thread.

Now, I won't be going to this so I didn't give the dress code much thought, but I wouldn't have thought the women in this thread would have had a harder time figuring out what to wear. :)

Another thought: you could just e-mail the organizer and ask what the dress code is....

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”