Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Objection

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by Objection » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:45 pm

yagrish wrote:
Objection wrote:
Objection wrote:Is the -$ the amount we will be given for living expenses?
I think that's the amount that you'll be given as cash advance:

"If your anticipated financial aid credits exceed the total of your e-bill charges, you will be eligible for a fall cash advance check that can be used for living expenses. Eligible students will receive their cash advance checks after fall registration. Students who are eligible for a cash advance check should budget those funds for living expenses for the entire fall semester. Spring cash advance checks will be mailed to local addresses in late December (if anticipated financial aid credits are greater than e-bill charges). For more information see the Cash Disbursements section."
Tyvm, good Sir.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm

I also don't have housing, but I am hoping I get Harvard Housing off the wait list.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Objection wrote:
yagrish wrote:
Objection wrote:
Objection wrote:Is the -$ the amount we will be given for living expenses?
I think that's the amount that you'll be given as cash advance:

"If your anticipated financial aid credits exceed the total of your e-bill charges, you will be eligible for a fall cash advance check that can be used for living expenses. Eligible students will receive their cash advance checks after fall registration. Students who are eligible for a cash advance check should budget those funds for living expenses for the entire fall semester. Spring cash advance checks will be mailed to local addresses in late December (if anticipated financial aid credits are greater than e-bill charges). For more information see the Cash Disbursements section."
Tyvm, good Sir.
+1 Thanks.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:I'm trying to get my SO to get his act together so we can fly out to Boston in the next couple of weeks to look at apartments. It's going to be intense, I'm sure.
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Oooh it is SO stressful ,we got a tiny apt and I can only hope it looks as decent as the pics =/
So is anyone else in Belmont?
You are much braver than I :D
jpaul09 wrote: I feel your pain. It doesn't help that one of the women I talked to today was like, um, honey, you had better get going quickly.

So yeah, if any of you stumble across an apt share for a girl (me), please pass the word along!
Have you checked in the HLS FB group to see if there's anyone looking?

Good idea, I'll have to join and check. And yeah, Belmont -- wow! Which bus line will you take into the Square?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:48 am

Does anyone know if Minow will still be teaching any 1L classes? I had heard nothing but great things about her.

And I really want to get my section assignment, damnit!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Objection wrote:Does anyone know if Minow will still be teaching any 1L classes? I had heard nothing but great things about her.

And I really want to get my section assignment, damnit!
I was poking around the classes and I think that she is teaching one or two in the spring but I didn't see anything that she's teaching in the fall. Now, this could be me just not seeing it and the profs might not have been updated since Minow was appointed, so I'm not suggesting this is written in stone.

Oh, and I want my section asignment too, along with what classes I'll be taking. The fact we will be waiting another month or so is kind of ridiculous, I think.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:36 pm

My - is $11,030.

However, I can't figure out how they got to that number. $11,030 = $22,060 for the year.

However, living expenses (18457), books (1100), and travel (1350) only add up to $20,907 for the year. Where is the extra $1,153 coming from?

borntorun

New

Post by borntorun » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Objection wrote:My - is $11,030.

However, I can't figure out how they got to that number. $11,030 = $22,060 for the year.

However, living expenses (18457), books (1100), and travel (1350) only add up to $20,907 for the year. Where is the extra $1,153 coming from?
I think $500 of it might be your tuition deposit. No idea about the rest, though. I think the actual calculation of the - number is just half the amount of your loans plus grants minus your charges for the first semester. I'm probably not the guy who should be trying to talk about this because all the financial aid stuff confuses the hell out of me (and, sadly enough, I was an econ major).

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I have yet another question...so how hard and fast is this "medical forms due by July 15th" rule? I'm out of the country until August 1, and I didn't realize the medical forms were due while I was gone until the day before I left, so I didn't have time to get a doctor to sign a paper stating that no, I am not crazy, I don't have an eating disorder, or that I have any other legitimate medical issues. I swear, I always go out of the country at the most inconvenient times - during all the ASW's I was in Europe, during physical and financial aid time I'm in Kuwait...I need to plan this kind of stuff better :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

borntorun

New

Post by borntorun » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:50 pm

laurathenerd wrote:I have yet another question...so how hard and fast is this "medical forms due by July 15th" rule? I'm out of the country until August 1, and I didn't realize the medical forms were due while I was gone until the day before I left, so I didn't have time to get a doctor to sign a paper stating that no, I am not crazy, I don't have an eating disorder, or that I have any other legitimate medical issues. I swear, I always go out of the country at the most inconvenient times - during all the ASW's I was in Europe, during physical and financial aid time I'm in Kuwait...I need to plan this kind of stuff better :)
I'm not going to my doctor until Monday, so there's no way my forms will all be in on time. I'm hoping that sending them in late won't be a big deal, but I'd assume as long as they have them in time for registration in August we should be fine.

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:28 pm

borntorun wrote:
laurathenerd wrote:I have yet another question...so how hard and fast is this "medical forms due by July 15th" rule? I'm out of the country until August 1, and I didn't realize the medical forms were due while I was gone until the day before I left, so I didn't have time to get a doctor to sign a paper stating that no, I am not crazy, I don't have an eating disorder, or that I have any other legitimate medical issues. I swear, I always go out of the country at the most inconvenient times - during all the ASW's I was in Europe, during physical and financial aid time I'm in Kuwait...I need to plan this kind of stuff better :)
I'm not going to my doctor until Monday, so there's no way my forms will all be in on time. I'm hoping that sending them in late won't be a big deal, but I'd assume as long as they have them in time for registration in August we should be fine.
They actually don't need the physician's report at all. I talked to the health office in person when I was moving in, and they told me it was OK if I didn't give them one. My impression was that the immunizations record is the only thing that they need to process your registration, so if you could send that in on time it might help move things along.

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:46 pm

borntorun wrote:
Objection wrote:My - is $11,030.

I think $500 of it might be your tuition deposit. No idea about the rest, though. I think the actual calculation of the - number is just half the amount of your loans plus grants minus your charges for the first semester. I'm probably not the guy who should be trying to talk about this because all the financial aid stuff confuses the hell out of me (and, sadly enough, I was an econ major).
I think you're right about the tuition deposit. There's also a $253 optional fee for dental coverage that's included in the budget but not charged to your term bill. The remaining $400 is a mystery to me. If it's any help, I have the exact same number.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 am

jco wrote:
borntorun wrote:
They actually don't need the physician's report at all. I talked to the health office in person when I was moving in, and they told me it was OK if I didn't give them one. My impression was that the immunizations record is the only thing that they need to process your registration, so if you could send that in on time it might help move things along.
Oh, that's awesome news! Thanks jco!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 am

jco wrote: They actually don't need the physician's report at all. I talked to the health office in person when I was moving in, and they told me it was OK if I didn't give them one. My impression was that the immunizations record is the only thing that they need to process your registration, so if you could send that in on time it might help move things along.
Jeez, I wish I'd known this. I paid for a physical out-of-pocket, because I'd already moved from the state where I was working, leaving me with emergency-only coverage.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:30 am

I think I got my immunization records sent, but since HLS doesn't do confirmation emails and the office is closed until 7/20, I have no way of knowing.

However, the voice mail does say they are extending the 7/15 deadline.

Attempt at transcription:

If you are an incoming student. Please be aware extending immunization deadline b/c won't be in office...will contact you by email or phone when receive/review information and let you know if you are complete or if anything else needs to be done.

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:19 am

So, I just got my Hep B immunization for the first time last week...but the doses are to be spaced out 2 months apart, which means I won't have two doses before school starts. Has anyone else spoken with them to find out if this is going to be a big deal?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:58 am

So, I know we have to pay income tax on our loan money (or, at least, I'm 95% sure we do), but I don't think they withheld money for us. Does anyone know what our tax rate is? Also, as i'm not currently a resident of the state of MA, does anyone know if I'm going to have to pay state taxes in my actual state of permanent address, MA, or both? I know it seems early, but I need to get my budget set up and I have to know how much money I have to play with to do so. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm

iagolives wrote:So, I know we have to pay income tax on our loan money (or, at least, I'm 95% sure we do), but I don't think they withheld money for us. Does anyone know what our tax rate is? Also, as i'm not currently a resident of the state of MA, does anyone know if I'm going to have to pay state taxes in my actual state of permanent address, MA, or both? I know it seems early, but I need to get my budget set up and I have to know how much money I have to play with to do so. Thanks!
Wait. What?

I haven't heard of this and this doesn't make any sense. Loans aren't income. Where did you read that we have to pay income tax on our loans?

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Student loan money is absolutely not taxable income.

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Objection wrote:I think I got my immunization records sent, but since HLS doesn't do confirmation emails and the office is closed until 7/20, I have no way of knowing.

However, the voice mail does say they are extending the 7/15 deadline.

Attempt at transcription:

If you are an incoming student. Please be aware extending immunization deadline b/c won't be in office...will contact you by email or phone when receive/review information and let you know if you are complete or if anything else needs to be done.
Objection, I received a confirmation email when I sent HLS Health Service a fax. However, I don't believe it's an automated system so I would not expect them to send any confirmation if the office is unstaffed.
It's probably unnerving not to have any action on it right now but I think you're fine and you should expect a confirmation email in a week.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 pm

treple wrote:
iagolives wrote:
yagrish wrote:ok, this may be a stupid question, but if anticipated credits > charges, do I need to do anything (or is the bill paid already)?
I think its paid already. The number owed should be $0. Or so I've been struggling to deduce.

I actually don't know; you shouldn't listen to me, lol.
This is correct.

The bill should say $0 for amount owed and the negative balance is the amount you will be receiving as living expenses.
Okay, so my question is this: is the number on the tuition statement the TOTAL amount of loans, or my one-semester amount? And how to the Stafford loans fit into this - I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in order to get those. Are the Staffords put in as a part of this? I didn't take out the full amount because I'm living cheaply and my parents are paying for my food (yay!) so I'm hoping this isn't the whole thing for the whole year...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

borntorun

New

Post by borntorun » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:43 pm

laurathenerd wrote:
treple wrote:
iagolives wrote:
yagrish wrote:ok, this may be a stupid question, but if anticipated credits > charges, do I need to do anything (or is the bill paid already)?
I think its paid already. The number owed should be $0. Or so I've been struggling to deduce.

I actually don't know; you shouldn't listen to me, lol.
This is correct.

The bill should say $0 for amount owed and the negative balance is the amount you will be receiving as living expenses.
Okay, so my question is this: is the number on the tuition statement the TOTAL amount of loans, or my one-semester amount? And how to the Stafford loans fit into this - I have no idea what I'm supposed to do in order to get those. Are the Staffords put in as a part of this? I didn't take out the full amount because I'm living cheaply and my parents are paying for my food (yay!) so I'm hoping this isn't the whole thing for the whole year...
The loan amount is for the first semester. Stafford loans are part of the loan amount listed and all you have to do to receive them is to fill out the promissory note when Harvard sends it to you later in the summer.

borntorun

New

Post by borntorun » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:47 pm

iagolives wrote:So, I know we have to pay income tax on our loan money (or, at least, I'm 95% sure we do), but I don't think they withheld money for us. Does anyone know what our tax rate is? Also, as i'm not currently a resident of the state of MA, does anyone know if I'm going to have to pay state taxes in my actual state of permanent address, MA, or both? I know it seems early, but I need to get my budget set up and I have to know how much money I have to play with to do so. Thanks!
I'm 99% sure student loans aren't taxable. Scholarships are taxable on the amounts not used to cover tuition, books, etc. but I've never heard of anyone having to pay taxes on their student loans.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 pm

borntorun wrote:
I'm 99% sure student loans aren't taxable. Scholarships are taxable on the amounts not used to cover tuition, books, etc. but I've never heard of anyone having to pay taxes on their student loans.
Wait, so if I am living off of my student loans entirely (i.e. not working and no stock dividends), I won't be paying any taxes next year? That's hard for me to believe. I mean, I hope its true as the amount of money I'll have to live off of will increase by 25%, but I feel like the government wouldn't let me rip them off like this. :D

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:57 pm

iagolives wrote:
borntorun wrote:
Wait, so if I am living off of my student loans entirely (i.e. not working and no stock dividends), I won't be paying any taxes next year? That's hard for me to believe. I mean, I hope its true as the amount of money I'll have to live off of will increase by 25%, but I feel like the government wouldn't let me rip them off like this. :D
It's not income. I don't understand what's confusing.

It's probably a good idea to file a return anyway, even if you don't owe anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”