Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jpaul09 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi guys, I just got accepted off the waitlist today, so I'll be joining you in the fall. If anyone else who was recently accepted is apartment hunting and wants to look into a 2-bedroom (much cheaper than a studio!), please PM me.

Also, don't worry, the Boston winters aren't horrible. In undergrad, I ran outside in January....albeit in a ski jacket.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi!

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Hi guys, I just got accepted off the waitlist today, so I'll be joining you in the fall. If anyone else who was recently accepted is apartment hunting and wants to look into a 2-bedroom (much cheaper than a studio!), please PM me.

Also, don't worry, the Boston winters aren't horrible. In undergrad, I ran outside in January....albeit in a ski jacket.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi!


Congrats and welcome!

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:18 pm

jpaul09 wrote:Hi guys, I just got accepted off the waitlist today, so I'll be joining you in the fall. If anyone else who was recently accepted is apartment hunting and wants to look into a 2-bedroom (much cheaper than a studio!), please PM me.

Also, don't worry, the Boston winters aren't horrible. In undergrad, I ran outside in January....albeit in a ski jacket.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi!


Damn it, Obj, you beat me to the Harvard thread welcome wagon!

Oh well, welcome jpaul!

jpaul09
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jpaul09 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:20 pm

Thank you!
By the way, does anyone else think this sounds to good to be true? --LinkRemoved--

jrs12
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jrs12 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Not too good at all. It's a room in a shared apt. Seems a little steep, actually.

Most of the apartments close to the law school are on Mass ave. A few brokers have them all, so if you've talked to three people, you've probably covered the whole stretch.

Further up, there are some decent places at Porter and Davis. Both are pretty chill areas, and cheaper than Harvard square.

jco
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jco » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:39 pm

jrs12 wrote:Not too good at all. It's a room in a shared apt. Seems a little steep, actually.

Most of the apartments close to the law school are on Mass ave. A few brokers have them all, so if you've talked to three people, you've probably covered the whole stretch.

Further up, there are some decent places at Porter and Davis. Both are pretty chill areas, and cheaper than Harvard square.


I actually think the price is quite good given that it includes utilities and furnishings. I'm not so sure that I would want to live with random roommates, but if that doesn't bother you, the place is definitely worth a look. jrs is right that if you want cheaper housing check out Porter/Davis/Inman.

User avatar
laurathenerd
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby laurathenerd » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 am

jpaul09 wrote:Also, don't worry, the Boston winters aren't horrible. In undergrad, I ran outside in January....albeit in a ski jacket.




As a runner, this statement strikes fear into my soul....ahhh! (I know, I'm still hung up on the weather thing) Congrats on choosing Harvard! It's good to see another fellow former-waitlister :)


And I have another question for all you experts out there...I'll be living in Somerville, about two miles from the law school. Is this a bad bad decision? It's supposed to be like a 20 minute bus ride to Harvard, but of course, I have no clue how big Harvard even is...I'm assuming it's a fairly large campus...this is why you should always visit the town you're going to school in before making your final decision, I guess :) I just know in some cities the buses are dependable and are usually on time (like...in Scotland) and in some places the "bus system" means that there are a couple buses every once in a while (my hometown). Are the buses dependable in Boston?? And is it a bad idea to ride my bike to school? I'll have a car, but I'm guessing parking = bad decision.

HAZMAT
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby HAZMAT » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:42 am

Has anybody checked out the apartments at Chauncy and Garden Street?

jrs12
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jrs12 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:52 am

I have a friend who lived in Somerville for her 1L year, and she thought it was great.

Driving won't really be an option, since your Somerville address will prevent you from getting a Cambridge parking pass. Biking will be ok, especially straight down Mass Ave, but it's not really a year 'round option.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Columbia's thread being 10+ pages longer than ours is unacceptable. I'm just saying... :P

nygirl
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby nygirl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by nygirl on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jco
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jco » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:32 pm

laurathenerd wrote:And I have another question for all you experts out there...I'll be living in Somerville, about two miles from the law school. Is this a bad bad decision? It's supposed to be like a 20 minute bus ride to Harvard, but of course, I have no clue how big Harvard even is...I'm assuming it's a fairly large campus...this is why you should always visit the town you're going to school in before making your final decision, I guess :) I just know in some cities the buses are dependable and are usually on time (like...in Scotland) and in some places the "bus system" means that there are a couple buses every once in a while (my hometown). Are the buses dependable in Boston?? And is it a bad idea to ride my bike to school? I'll have a car, but I'm guessing parking = bad decision.


I'm living in East Cambridge about 2 miles off campus. I've used the bus system extensively for the past few years, and it is pretty reliable. Depending on the bus and the part of the route, it can be 5-10 minutes late fairly regularly, or it can be always on time. I would look at mbta.com. It's actually a pretty good website and you can see what the bus schedules are like. I know the 96 bus that goes between Harvard and parts of Somerville particularly well, so if you're on that route you can PM me.

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:37 pm

jco,

your place has a f***ing jacuzzi!?

you sir, are the man.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

sluggo wrote:jco,

your place has a f***ing jacuzzi!?

you sir, are the man.


Party at jco's! ;)

User avatar
excelsiorcaelo
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 pm

iagolives wrote:Columbia's thread being 10+ pages longer than ours is unacceptable. I'm just saying... :P

Depends on the size of their student body.

prelaw
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby prelaw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:39 pm

I don't know if yall have already crossed this bridge, but what happens after you fill out the PIN form? It said I would pick it up in person, which is not possible for over a month. The Financial Services e-mail said a Pin would automatically be generated and sent to me via e-mail. I'm a bit confused. This isn't the first time Harvard policies have confused me.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 pm

prelaw wrote:I don't know if yall have already crossed this bridge, but what happens after you fill out the PIN form? It said I would pick it up in person, which is not possible for over a month. The Financial Services e-mail said a Pin would automatically be generated and sent to me via e-mail. I'm a bit confused. This isn't the first time Harvard policies have confused me.


It's a computer glitch. This happened to me too. Call and they should email it to you. :)

prelaw
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby prelaw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:07 pm

iagolives wrote:
prelaw wrote:I don't know if yall have already crossed this bridge, but what happens after you fill out the PIN form? It said I would pick it up in person, which is not possible for over a month. The Financial Services e-mail said a Pin would automatically be generated and sent to me via e-mail. I'm a bit confused. This isn't the first time Harvard policies have confused me.


It's a computer glitch. This happened to me too. Call and they should email it to you. :)


Thanks! Will do tomorrow.

jco
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jco » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:33 am

iagolives wrote:
sluggo wrote:jco,

your place has a f***ing jacuzzi!?

you sir, are the man.


Party at jco's! ;)


We'd probably have a tough time fitting more than two people in the jacuzzi at a time, but the party's not such a bad idea...

jrs12
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby jrs12 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:58 am

jco wrote:We'd probably have a tough time fitting more than two people in the jacuzzi at a time, but the party's not such a bad idea...


Sounds like a good party game. Maybe a good way to get to know people a little better :wink:

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 am

jrs12 wrote:
jco wrote:We'd probably have a tough time fitting more than two people in the jacuzzi at a time, but the party's not such a bad idea...


Sounds like a good party game. Maybe a good way to get to know people a little better :wink:


Ha, "Seven Minutes in the Jacuzzi"... It's like middle school!

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:18 pm

seven minutes is a bit ambitious, no? :P

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 pm

btw, i'm reading getting to maybe and getting very excited for school to start. anyone else read(ing) it yet? it could be fun to talk about some of the hypotheticals before our creative, uninhibited minds become corrupted by law school.

User avatar
mightyaphrodite
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby mightyaphrodite » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:06 pm

sluggo wrote:btw, i'm reading getting to maybe and getting very excited for school to start. anyone else read(ing) it yet? it could be fun to talk about some of the hypotheticals before our creative, uninhibited minds become corrupted by law school.


I've read the first maybe 30 pages or so, but stopped because it seemed like it was geared more towards people already in school. Have you gotten further along?

You're right though -- in reading the book, I started to get more excited about law school and the whole "thinking like a lawyer" part.

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 pm

hey you!

i'm stoked to see you here! i'm going to PM you now.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest