Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Hey
so I don't know if you guys keep in touch with your assigned alumni contact or whatchamightwannacallthem but I have to say that the girl I've been talking has soooooo helpful and genuinely wants to answer Qs. It's just so nice. I'm totally impressed. That was my little appreciation blurb. :D

alumni contact?

I ain't got no stinkin' alumni contact. I had a 1L pen pal who proved to be very helpful, though.

Maybe only the cool kids got one, excelsior.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 pm

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Hey
so I don't know if you guys keep in touch with your assigned alumni contact or whatchamightwannacallthem but I have to say that the girl I've been talking has soooooo helpful and genuinely wants to answer Qs. It's just so nice. I'm totally impressed. That was my little appreciation blurb. :D

alumni contact?

I ain't got no stinkin' alumni contact. I had a 1L pen pal who proved to be very helpful, though.

Maybe only the cool kids got one, excelsior.

I don't have one either. Thanks for reminding me I'm not one of the cool kids, Harvard...

BTW, Hi future classmates!

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:27 pm

sup born?

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:57 pm

Hey, Born.

BTW, I love that this thread is over 60 pages.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Objection wrote:Hey, Born.

BTW, I love that this thread is over 60 pages.

+1

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:30 pm

random question: Are y'all going with the Harvard Dental thing, the Delta Dental PPO, or something else entirely?

Objection

Postby Objection » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:29 pm

I haven't looked into any of that. Links?

borntorun

Postby borntorun » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Objection wrote:I haven't looked into any of that. Links?

My parents insurance will let me stay on for a couple more years so I'm going with that, but here's some info on the Harvard dental plans:

http://huhs.harvard.edu/Insurance/Stude ... tions.aspx

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Objection wrote:I haven't looked into any of that. Links?

Enrollment doesn't start until 7/1 so I wouldn't worry too much about slacking, Obj.

Sincerely,

--"Iaglo"

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Has everyone filled out the loan stuff? I know the deadline is rapidly approaching and I can't really decide whether private or GradPlus is better.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:04 pm

prelaw wrote:Has everyone filled out the loan stuff? I know the deadline is rapidly approaching and I can't really decide whether private or GradPlus is better.

Yeah, I finally filled my out. FWIW, I did GradPlus because, even though the rate isn't fantastic, I'm incredibly risk adverse and I was old by the fixed rate.

So, when we get there in August, we do the Promisory note for everything else, right?

treple

Postby treple » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:16 pm

Completed all of my registration checklist paper work today and financial aid. If all goes according to plan, I should officially be enrolled midway through July! =)

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Okay, this is a dumb question, but whatever: what do I need to do to apply for the Perkins and Stafford loans? My financial aid thing says I've been accepted for them, but is there a form I have to fill out to get the money, like for the GradPlus?

Also, I've gotten my college certification sent, but other than that, what else do I have to do? I think the whole thing is so confusing, it makes me question whether I'm smart enough for law school sometimes ;)

Objection

Postby Objection » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:20 pm

I feel like I'm missing something in terms of financial aid. I don't know if I've completed everything I need to complete. This is at least partially because of HLS' lack of confirmation emails.

Anyone else feel that way? Probably just being paranoid

treple

Postby treple » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:35 pm

You haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet? hmmm...

Objection

Postby Objection » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:21 pm

treple wrote:You haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet? hmmm...

I did for sending in my cert and my transcript but not for the finaid stuff I filled out on their website (gradplus and stafford)

yagrish

Postby yagrish » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Objection wrote:

I did for sending in my cert and my transcript but not for the finaid stuff I filled out on their website (gradplus and stafford)

The $$$ I requested through GradPlus appeared in the SFS "Awards" Tab. Are we supposed to get additional confirmation?

and WHAT did you fill out for Stafford???

borntorun

Postby borntorun » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:06 pm

laurathenerd wrote:Okay, this is a dumb question, but whatever: what do I need to do to apply for the Perkins and Stafford loans? My financial aid thing says I've been accepted for them, but is there a form I have to fill out to get the money, like for the GradPlus?

Also, I've gotten my college certification sent, but other than that, what else do I have to do? I think the whole thing is so confusing, it makes me question whether I'm smart enough for law school sometimes ;)

I don't think there's anything you need to fill out right now for Stafford/Perkins loans. They also need your final college transcript if they don't already have it and there are some medical forms they need. I think that's all we're supposed to have done so far, but I agree about this whole thing being confusing (somehow being a philosophy major hasn't prepared me for the rigors of law school paperwork).

Objection

Postby Objection » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:36 pm

yagrish wrote:
Objection wrote:

The $$$ I requested through GradPlus appeared in the SFS "Awards" Tab. Are we supposed to get additional confirmation?

and WHAT did you fill out for Stafford???

perhaps nothing. I am not by my computer. May have just been the gradplus thing.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Ok, this is going to sound needy, but I don't get their billing process at all. I read through their billing information in that link they sent out but I'm confused. We get a bill, pay via "anticipated" credits, and then we get money from our loans which pays for what we took out of our "anticipated" credits. Then, to get the rest of our money for food and whatnot, we request an advance. This makes no sense, but is that right?

Also, when do we do our summer confirmation of our financial aid stuff?

jco

Postby jco » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 am

iagolives wrote:Ok, this is going to sound needy, but I don't get their billing process at all. I read through their billing information in that link they sent out but I'm confused. We get a bill, pay via "anticipated" credits, and then we get money from our loans which pays for what we took out of our "anticipated" credits. Then, to get the rest of our money for food and whatnot, we request an advance. This makes no sense, but is that right?

This is all my understanding of things.

Assuming you're taking out enough loans to cover all of tuition, fees and COL, and if you have already filled out the request for gradPLUS loans, then when you get your first e-bill in July the balance will be zero. When you get to registration, they will give you a check for 1/2(total loan amount - 2*what they deducted to pay your July bill) in order to pay for COL apart from rent if you are obtaining housing through Harvard (because in that case housing will be part of your e-bill). More or less the same thing happens in January for the second semester.

The confirmation for summer earnings and for amount of assets to finalize your student contribution and grant amounts should be in August. You will get an email telling you when the online forms are available.

As far as the other things people mentioned: There is nothing to fill out yet for Stafford and Perkins loans. Those are automatically taken out for you by SFS. You will just need to sign an electronic MPN in August/September. Again, you should get an email for this when the time comes.

I didn't get any confirmation beyond the updated amount for gradPLUS loans listed on my award page. I'm sure that is sufficient confirmation.

borntorun has the correct list of everything you need to have sent so far: transcript and college certification by July 1, medical forms by July 15. There's a checklist on the admitted students web page. Also, if you already have health insurance, you need to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance before September 30 (http://www.huhs.harvard.edu/Insurance/Students.aspx) in order to not be automatically charged for it.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:06 pm

jco wrote:
iagolives wrote:Ok, this is going to sound needy, but I don't get their billing process at all. I read through their billing information in that link they sent out but I'm confused. We get a bill, pay via "anticipated" credits, and then we get money from our loans which pays for what we took out of our "anticipated" credits. Then, to get the rest of our money for food and whatnot, we request an advance. This makes no sense, but is that right?

Assuming you're taking out enough loans to cover all of tuition, fees and COL, and if you have already filled out the request for gradPLUS loans, then when you get your first e-bill in July the balance will be zero. When you get to registration, they will give you a check for 1/2(total loan amount - 2*what they deducted to pay your July bill) in order to pay for COL apart from rent if you are obtaining housing through Harvard (because in that case housing will be part of your e-bill). More or less the same thing happens in January for the second semester.

The confirmation for summer earnings and for amount of assets to finalize your student contribution and grant amounts should be in August. You will get an email telling you when the online forms are available.

As far as the other things people mentioned: There is nothing to fill out yet for Stafford and Perkins loans. Those are automatically taken out for you by SFS. You will just need to sign an electronic MPN in August/September. Again, you should get an email for this when the time comes.

I didn't get any confirmation beyond the updated amount for gradPLUS loans listed on my award page. I'm sure that is sufficient confirmation.

borntorun has the correct list of everything you need to have sent so far: transcript and college certification by July 1, medical forms by July 15. There's a checklist on the admitted students web page. Also, if you already have health insurance, you need to waive the Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance before September 30 (http://www.huhs.harvard.edu/Insurance/Students.aspx) in order to not be automatically charged for it.

Thanks jco, you are a lifesaver!

laurathenerd

Postby laurathenerd » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 pm

iagolives wrote:
jco wrote:

Thanks jco, you are a lifesaver!

Amen - JCO you are awesome!

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:38 pm

It sounds like Gradplus is the easiest and safest option. Is this accurate?

jco

Postby jco » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:31 pm

One semi-correction on all that stuff from before. Even though the insurance waiver isn't due until September 30, it seems like they will go ahead and deduct that money from your loans if you haven't had the waiver approved by the time registration rolls around. I'm sure you can eventually get the money back, but it definitely would be easier to just do that ASAP if you already have insurance.

prelaw wrote:It sounds like Gradplus is the easiest and safest option. Is this accurate?

Yup. Fixed interest rates and federal loans FTW.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”