Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Pumpkin
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 am

although all of those calculations of debt just blew my mind, i am pretty confident that the rate is 7.9 for all gradplus. and if you do it with a bank instead of direct, they have some repayment perks but you run the risk of their selling your loan and all of that.

damn you harvard for giving me no aid. i love that language that says, if i WISH to take out gradplus loans i can. right.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am

Martha Minow is the new dean!

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2009/06.11/hls.html

Did anyone else call this? :)

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby mallard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:55 am

Very cool. I heard so many great things about her at ASW.

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 pm

it seems that for educational loans it is not compounded daily while in school

"Interest begins to accrue at the time of disbursement on your unsubsidized loans. While you are in school and during your grace period, the interest which accrues is simple interest (it is not compounded). In other words, you are only charged interest on the original principal amount you have borrowed. When you enter repayment at the end of your grace period, all of the accrued interest will be capitalized (added to the principal) and, therefore, interest will accrue daily on this new amount for the duration of your repayment."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... repay.html

Pumpkin
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm

ahhh do you think Minnow will still teach??? i heard she was amazing and such a good mentor, would be totally bummed if i missed her.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Krswmact wrote:it seems that for educational loans it is not compounded daily while in school

"Interest begins to accrue at the time of disbursement on your unsubsidized loans. While you are in school and during your grace period, the interest which accrues is simple interest (it is not compounded). In other words, you are only charged interest on the original principal amount you have borrowed. When you enter repayment at the end of your grace period, all of the accrued interest will be capitalized (added to the principal) and, therefore, interest will accrue daily on this new amount for the duration of your repayment."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... repay.html


Are you SERIOUS! Wow, this is fantastic. Thanks for letting us know about this. I have no other words except... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSWWvoqTlGU

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 pm

as long as i interpreted this page correctly then yes im serious. I was just as happy to see that myself. When you calculate it out, the difference is HUGE!

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby tinman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:50 pm

iagolives wrote:Martha Minow is the new dean!

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2009/06.11/hls.html

Did anyone else call this? :)


Hey all, dropping in from Yale's 2012 class. Martha is great. I took a class from her a couple years ago that helped me decide to go to law school. HLS has done a nice job with its last two choices for dean. HLS should do even better now that you'll have a YLS graduate at the helm ;) Good luck to you all!

Pumpkin
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Another two financial questions, i'm such a dunce on this stuff.

how does it work that harvard assesses your student contribution to tuition each year? as in what would happen if i contributed more from my savings than they asked me to? would i be totally stuck next year when they asked for the same amount as this year or would they readjust their calculations b/c i no longer had savings?

also, we automaticaly have the stafford loans if they show up on the fin aid page right? as in i just have to apply for the gradplus and i'll be all set?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 pm

In Boston right now! Weeee.

User avatar
bgc
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby bgc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:09 pm

iagolives wrote:Martha Minow is the new dean!

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2009/06.11/hls.html

Minow is great. I've seen her speak at a few events and was always impressed by her clarity, insight, and humor.

If you ever get the chance to hear Minow and Goldsmith together, I recommend you take it.

User avatar
iagolives
Posts: 687
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby iagolives » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Weird question: Does anyone know what the student budgets for the past few years were? I'm trying to figure out by what rate the budget inflates every year so I can plan. Thanks!

shep
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby shep » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:08 pm

This question may sound really stupid but all these loan options are going way over my head. If I choose to just take the direct loans from the gov't do I have to do anything right now or do I wait for my bill to come in July?

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Pumpkin wrote:Another two financial questions, i'm such a dunce on this stuff.

how does it work that harvard assesses your student contribution to tuition each year? as in what would happen if i contributed more from my savings than they asked me to? would i be totally stuck next year when they asked for the same amount as this year or would they readjust their calculations b/c i no longer had savings?

also, we automaticaly have the stafford loans if they show up on the fin aid page right? as in i just have to apply for the gradplus and i'll be all set?


pumpkin,

They take your savings at the beginning and divide by 3 for your yearly contribution. if you pay more than that the first year, your expected contribution does NOT go down for the next two years. This sucks, obviously. It seems to be then that the only thing that can happen is that your contribution could go up if you managed to come into more money. Maybe they have some special consideration if you have something tragic happen, but I specifically remember seeing that if you choose to pay extra up front (to cut down on interest), that you'll still be expected to make your contribution the next two years.

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Objection wrote:In Boston right now! Weeee.


checking out your new place?

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 pm

sluggo wrote:
Objection wrote:In Boston right now! Weeee.


checking out your new place?


Yessir. Loved it. Time for the paperwork.

Krswmact
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:34 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Krswmact » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 pm

for the direct grad plus loan there is a little form you have to fill out on the hls sfs website to apply. It just asks for your name and how much you want and authorization to check your credit.

Pumpkin
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:34 am

sluggo wrote:
Pumpkin wrote:Another two financial questions, i'm such a dunce on this stuff.

how does it work that harvard assesses your student contribution to tuition each year? as in what would happen if i contributed more from my savings than they asked me to? would i be totally stuck next year when they asked for the same amount as this year or would they readjust their calculations b/c i no longer had savings?

also, we automaticaly have the stafford loans if they show up on the fin aid page right? as in i just have to apply for the gradplus and i'll be all set?


pumpkin,

They take your savings at the beginning and divide by 3 for your yearly contribution. if you pay more than that the first year, your expected contribution does NOT go down for the next two years. This sucks, obviously. It seems to be then that the only thing that can happen is that your contribution could go up if you managed to come into more money. Maybe they have some special consideration if you have something tragic happen, but I specifically remember seeing that if you choose to pay extra up front (to cut down on interest), that you'll still be expected to make your contribution the next two years.


thanks, yeah i just figured this out. is anyone else's student contribution PLUS summer earnings number end up being most of your assets? if i pay what they say i should, there is NO way i'll be able to pay the same amount- even without the summer earnings for the next 3 years- this calculation is so off, i don't understand. are other people in the same boat???

sluggo
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby sluggo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:49 pm

something is wrong.

it should be something like your assets/3 for what you'll be expected to pay each year. you should probably call them.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 pm

So who will be in or near or wants to come to Cambridge Aug 22? Thinking of having people over then if enough people are around. Maybe turn it into a TLS meetup.

prelaw
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby prelaw » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Did anyone appeal their financial aid award?

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Objection wrote:In Boston right now! Weeee.


In Reno.Watching Reno 911. yay =D for being lame

User avatar
FrenchiePatootie
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 pm

btw are you guys getting meningitis shots? I'm not sure if it's worth it if I'm gonna live off-campus...

User avatar
treple
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby treple » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Anyone in Boston from August 15th on is invited to our place to chill and drink with bar drinking to commence periodically. P.S. Objection is a bitch. ;)

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby Objection » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 pm

treple wrote:Anyone in Boston from August 15th on is invited to our place to chill and drink with bar drinking to commence periodically. P.S. Objection is a bitch. ;)


This, minus the bitch part.

Treple and I will be your hosts. Don't shit on the toilet seats and don't puke on the carpets are the two major rules.

Otherwise, 15th-28th our place is open to whoever. 22nd we might have an "official" party...maybe even turn it into a TLS get together. We'll see.

Trying to get some people from LSU up which is why I'm planning so early.

Literally right across the street from the law school so distance is no excuse.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest