Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
conn09

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by conn09 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:30 pm

iagolives wrote:
pinkflamingo wrote:Ok, so I'm like 24 hours late, but I'd be down for a TLS HLS meet-up. As for the almond butter... I think I still prefer peanut.

On another note: So I was working with an attorney today, and my coworker told him that I'm starting law school this fall. He asked me, "Why?!" and then proceeded to encourage me to think twice. Seriously? Does this happen to anyone else? Granted, he is a *very* small town lawyer who deals with mostly tedious and depressing family law cases, but still. This isn't the first time I've had an attorney act like I was crazy for going to law school. What's the deal? And really? I mean, I'm already committed to this, and clearly excited about it. Why try to put me down for trying to enter your profession?
Sorry. I'm done ranting now.
Yeah, I've had the same thing happen to me. I have a family that is devoid of lawyers (I mean ENTIRELY devoid) except for one distant cousin who is a lawyer and hates her job. Every time I see her at a family get-together, she tries to talk me out of it.

My solution to this won't work for that many people, but, since I want to go into academia, I answer thier "why woudl you go to law school?" with an in-depth speech over my research interests. The one time I tried it, she walked away with a "Well, I wish you good luck!" about halfway through my second dead economist, haha.

I sympathize, though. Just remember when you are an awesome, successful lawyer to be a bit more optimistic than these attorneys. :)

I think I'm pretty lucky with this. Most people who I think are going to try and talk me out of it ask where I'm going. They say oh, and just kind of shy away. Like 99% of the lawyers who know me are more excited about my going to law school than I am.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has heard this. I suppose there are disgruntled/jaded people in every profession. He also doesn't know where I'm going to law school-- who knows, maybe that would affect his attitude.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Pink,

That is whack. I'm sorry you have to deal with a jaded hater. And for the record, peanut butter is amazing. You just can't beat almond butter spread over a sliced gala apple. Man, it's ridiculous.

Iago,

I find myself giving the wannabe professor spiel to people when they ask as well. I ran into a former history TA who really likes me and who was genuinely disappointed when she found out I was applying to law school, all but calling me a sell-out! Once I told her I wanted to be a professor of law she seemed to retract her fangs a bit :)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat May 16, 2009 1:10 am

I know that I've been posting a lot today but I have a serious question for everyone.

Does anyone know if being in HLS makes it easier to get into any of the other programs at Harvard? Any helpful anecdotes?

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone catch Elizabeth Warren on Real Time with Bill Maher? I really want the opportunity to take at least one class with her.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Sat May 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Anyone catch Elizabeth Warren on Real Time with Bill Maher? I really want the opportunity to take at least one class with her.
I watched it last night with my parents (who were so excited when I told them that I had had a mock class with her). She is pretty incredible at explaining things so that anyone can understand them. I'd love to take a class with her at some point.

Sluggo-
Galas are my favorite, so I may just have to give almond butter another try!

eri

New

Post by eri » Sat May 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted...I'm so glad to see so many people in Gropius. I'm on Ames 3 - PM me if you want to be my facebook friend :) I'd love to get to know my neighbors!

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Sun May 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Im in Dane floor 2!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon May 18, 2009 12:23 am

Krswmact wrote:Im in Dane floor 2!
Awwww yeah! Dane all the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 am

hey guys we aren't supposed to start figuring out loans yet right? they'll send us more info in june? really want to get that messy part over with!

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Mon May 18, 2009 7:44 pm

Pumpkin wrote:hey guys we aren't supposed to start figuring out loans yet right? they'll send us more info in june? really want to get that messy part over with!
yes - they said all we do is sit tight until june when fin aid stuff will get rolling/confirmed. i know - the wait is making me nervous as well...

also - i'm in Dane as well!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon May 18, 2009 8:15 pm

meesawoosa wrote:
Pumpkin wrote:hey guys we aren't supposed to start figuring out loans yet right? they'll send us more info in june? really want to get that messy part over with!
yes - they said all we do is sit tight until june when fin aid stuff will get rolling/confirmed. i know - the wait is making me nervous as well...

also - i'm in Dane as well!
Woot! What floor?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue May 19, 2009 8:31 pm

So if I find an apartment for August, will it be paid for by loans or will I have to do the first month out of pocket or what?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jco

New

Post by jco » Tue May 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Objection wrote:So if I find an apartment for August, will it be paid for by loans or will I have to do the first month out of pocket or what?
I'm concerned about this as well. From what I can tell, loans are not disbursed until about Sept 2.

HAZMAT

New

Post by HAZMAT » Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Anyone concerned about the latest crime spree around the Harvard campus?

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue May 19, 2009 9:43 pm

HAZMAT wrote:Anyone concerned about the latest crime spree around the Harvard campus?
No. These things happen from time to time. The cops will crack down by the time we get there, or Harvard will up security. Plus Mallard and I are thinking about joining the Harvard Defenders. More clients (though some of these crimes are serious enough not to have hearings I guess.)

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Cleareyes wrote:No. These things happen from time to time. The cops will crack down by the time we get there, or Harvard will up security. Plus Mallard and I are thinking about joining the Harvard Defenders. More clients (though some of these crimes are serious enough not to have hearings I guess.)
w00t!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:06 pm

mallard wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:No. These things happen from time to time. The cops will crack down by the time we get there, or Harvard will up security. Plus Mallard and I are thinking about joining the Harvard Defenders. More clients (though some of these crimes are serious enough not to have hearings I guess.)
w00t!
What are the Harvard defenders?

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue May 19, 2009 11:08 pm

conn09 wrote:
mallard wrote:
w00t!
--LinkRemoved--

Founded in 1949, Harvard Defenders is one of the largest and oldest student-practice clinical organizations at Harvard Law School. Each year approximately 75 Harvard Law students volunteer to provide pro-bono representation to low-income defendants in criminal show-cause hearings and assist callers with other legal issues through our extensive referral network.

Harvard Defenders is the only legal service organization in Massachusetts that represents low-income defendants for free in criminal show-cause hearings. Each year, we represent clients accused of a wide variety of crimes, including assault and battery, larceny, shoplifting, assault with a dangerous weapon, criminal harassment, and identity fraud. In addition, for those with legal issues not related to show-cause hearings, Defenders’ full-time telephone referral service helps callers understand their legal needs and directs them to other legal service agencies.

All substantive student casework is supervised by attorney John Salsberg, who has served as Harvard Defenders Clinical Instructor since 1980. Through individual instruction and group meetings, John provides continual support, training, and oversight to students who meet with him regularly to discuss case details and develop appropriate case strategies.

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 pm

conn09 wrote:
mallard wrote:
w00t!
The heroes Cambridge deserves...

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I think someone mentioned this earlier but I'm too lazy. What are y'all doing for computers? The Harvard Lenovo idea sounds nice but, as I understand, it has the Harvard Law crest on it and that strikes me as incredibly pretentious to put on your computer when you are using it out and about. Also, I'm not the biggest computer guy so, while the other computer thread is helpful, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gcf3f

New

Post by gcf3f » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

yikes i didnt know about the crest. i still think im going to get my laptop from hls b/c im pretty bad with computers and i want to have the tech support if i need it down the road

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed May 20, 2009 2:02 pm

I have a laptop but I want one just for school (especially given we take exams on it, right?). I'll look into the Lenovo thing.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed May 20, 2009 2:13 pm

mallard wrote:I have a laptop but I want one just for school (especially given we take exams on it, right?). I'll look into the Lenovo thing.
Yah. One computer strictly for work and another for...personal matters is probably a good idea. It will cut down on distractions, improve privacy, etc...

Plus keeping one computer clean except for school stuff will improve performance and reliability. I think that's the route I will end up going even though it's a bit more expensive.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
mallard wrote:I have a laptop but I want one just for school (especially given we take exams on it, right?). I'll look into the Lenovo thing.
Yah. One computer strictly for work and another for...personal matters is probably a good idea. It will cut down on distractions, improve privacy, etc...

Plus keeping one computer clean except for school stuff will improve performance and reliability. I think that's the route I will end up going even though it's a bit more expensive.
This was my exact reasoning. The second part is more important for me because my laptop constantly overheats and crashes for other reasons.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”