Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
calkx09

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby calkx09 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Un-lurking myself on this thread for the first time since the March ASW! Congrats to all those sending in deposits lately. Anyone else besides me deferring till 2010?

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 am

really boring housekeeping question- do deposits have to be certified bank checks or will regular checks suffice? didn't see anything specific on the forms..

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 pm

i sent in a regular bank check. granted, that was last year, but it worked.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

meesawoosa wrote:i sent in a regular bank check. granted, that was last year, but it worked.

When I first read this, i thought you said a regular blank check. Now that's commitment to HLS! :)

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

iagolives wrote:
meesawoosa wrote:i sent in a regular bank check. granted, that was last year, but it worked.

When I first read this, i thought you said a regular blank check. Now that's commitment to HLS! :)

with all the debt i'll be taking on, i sort of feel like that's what i'm doing!

mallard

Postby mallard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey guys, does anybody remember what information was supposed to be on the Acceptance/Directory form? I have been scrambling to find mine and failed.

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 am

Shipped the deposit.

I am stoked to get started. Anyone else look at the binder recently? I had ignored it for the past few months, and, after looking again... WOW.

There is a ridiculous amount of flexibility in what we can do here. The number of options really is astounding.

One thing I'm semi-bummed about is the competition between doing a journal and doing clinics. Is there time for both?

sluggo

Postby sluggo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 am

i don't usually ask lazy/dumb questions... so here goes.

How the hell do we upload the photo to sidebar? I tried looking around on the website and can't find it. epic fail.

help? :)

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 am

Sluggo, my plan is to spend a couple hours every week on one journal and one clinic (or whatever the name for the clinics freshmen can be in is) 1L year. If I make law review, that's what I'll do 2L and 3L; otherwise I'll try to decide based on my 1L experiences.

By the way, still wondering what I should be putting on my homemade Acceptance Directory form...

Frankay

Postby Frankay » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 am

Was anyone successful in getting a better financial aid package at Harvard when they showed their SLS or YLS package?

SouthernElle

Postby SouthernElle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:13 am

mallard wrote:Sluggo, my plan is to spend a couple hours every week on one journal and one clinic (or whatever the name for the clinics freshmen can be in is) 1L year. If I make law review, that's what I'll do 2L and 3L; otherwise I'll try to decide based on my 1L experiences.

By the way, still wondering what I should be putting on my homemade Acceptance Directory form...

Permanent address and LSAC number are the important things. That's pretty much all it was, along with your name.

Pumpkin

Postby Pumpkin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:26 am

am i the only one that got nothing from the financial aid office? my parents aren't exactly rolling in dough but it seems like everyone else got something generous!

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 am

I didn't get anything either, Pumpkin.

Krswmact

Postby Krswmact » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 am

To post a picture on sidebar:

Sign in
On the top left there is a link that says My Profile (Edit). Click on Edit
Then there is a tab that says picture

and you can upload it there :-)

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:11 pm

HLS blew me off after I showed them both YLS and SLS awards that were the same, and not that big.

Probably going to YLS.

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:24 pm

westbayguy wrote:HLS blew me off after I showed them both YLS and SLS awards that were the same, and not that big.

Probably going to YLS.

Thanks for the story

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Objection wrote:
westbayguy wrote:HLS blew me off after I showed them both YLS and SLS awards that were the same, and not that big.

Probably going to YLS.

Thanks for the story

Easy, tiger! :)

treple

Postby treple » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm

I haven't been here in a while...

Hi!!

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 pm

I've been being a little cocky and wearing my (not a week old) HLS sweatshirt around my neighborhood. It is not a great neighborhood (I live across the street from a set of projects which, though nonthreatening for projects, has its share of shady characters). Anyway, just as I left my house yesterday a man wearing a Yankees jacket and standing sort of between my house and the house next door but forward a bit so as to be on the street and not the stairs said to me, "Excuse me, sir! You went to Harvard Law School?" I said, "Oh, no, ha ha [awkwardly], I'm going in the fall!" with the sort of chipper brightness I haven't genuinely felt since maybe twelve years of age. He said, "Oh. Good luck" (these last two words very enunciated) and I went on my way.

Now I'm curious what he was going to say if I had graduated.

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 pm

mallard wrote:I've been being a little cocky and wearing my (not a week old) HLS sweatshirt around my neighborhood. It is not a great neighborhood (I live across the street from a set of projects which, though nonthreatening for projects, has its share of shady characters). Anyway, just as I left my house yesterday a man wearing a Yankees jacket and standing sort of between my house and the house next door but forward a bit so as to be on the street and not the stairs said to me, "Excuse me, sir! You went to Harvard Law School?" I said, "Oh, no, ha ha [awkwardly], I'm going in the fall!" with the sort of chipper brightness I haven't genuinely felt since maybe twelve years of age. He said, "Oh. Good luck" (these last two words very enunciated) and I went on my way.

Ha! It's great, right?

I was in Barnes & Noble and was talking to one of the store helper people. I had a couple law related books in my hand (A Civil Action and Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges). She was making small talk and asked what I do (student), what I want to do after grad (law school), where (Harvard). When i said Harvard, these two random people who must have been eavesdropping were like "WOW! That's awesome! Can you imagine getting that acceptance? That's great! Congratulations! Good luck!"

I had a seriously puzzled look on my face since I didn't know we had an audience, but after my puzzlement faded, I felt like a champ.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:03 pm

HLS told me they wouldn't match my SLS offer, because SLS has a lower "base loan" threshold (equaling lower borrowing). I told the SLS dean of financial aid who actually cackled. She CACKLED. :)

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Objection wrote:
mallard wrote:I've been being a little cocky and wearing my (not a week old) HLS sweatshirt around my neighborhood. It is not a great neighborhood (I live across the street from a set of projects which, though nonthreatening for projects, has its share of shady characters). Anyway, just as I left my house yesterday a man wearing a Yankees jacket and standing sort of between my house and the house next door but forward a bit so as to be on the street and not the stairs said to me, "Excuse me, sir! You went to Harvard Law School?" I said, "Oh, no, ha ha [awkwardly], I'm going in the fall!" with the sort of chipper brightness I haven't genuinely felt since maybe twelve years of age. He said, "Oh. Good luck" (these last two words very enunciated) and I went on my way.

Ha! It's great, right?

I was in Barnes & Noble and was talking to one of the store helper people. I had a couple law related books in my hand (A Civil Action and Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges). She was making small talk and asked what I do (student), what I want to do after grad (law school), where (Harvard). When i said Harvard, these two random people who must have been eavesdropping were like "WOW! That's awesome! Can you imagine getting that acceptance? That's great! Congratulations! Good luck!"

I had a seriously puzzled look on my face since I didn't know we had an audience, but after my puzzlement faded, I felt like a champ.

This guy was a little aggressive. I felt bad, like I had been a bit too cocky.

HAZMAT

Postby HAZMAT » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:09 pm

Probably going to YLS.

Hmmmm, I guess HLS isn't as desperate to entice students.

treple

Postby treple » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:43 pm

I stopped wearing my HLS hoodie. I was getting called pretentious for wearing it... luckily I have a green Boston hoodie that I wear religiously... or was... stupid 80 degree weather... /sigh

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:55 pm

treple wrote:I stopped wearing my HLS hoodie. I was getting called pretentious for wearing it... luckily I have a green Boston hoodie that I wear religiously... or was... stupid 80 degree weather... /sigh

Yeah, I wear my HLS jacket occasionally, but you can only read that it says "Harvard Law School" if you really try or if I have it zipped. I wear my HLS t-shirt to work out.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”