Harvard Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mallard

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Postby mallard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:53 pm

HAZMAT wrote:Mallard, I thought you had decided to send additional materials to yale and ride out the waitlist?

Not even sure what I'd do if I was picked off of it, honestly. I mostly feel like I didn't represent myself that well in my application and it's nice to have a chance to fix that. Unless two unlikely things happen, I'm headed to Harvard.

HAZMAT

Postby HAZMAT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Glad you don't have the attitude that some do on these boards who feel that since they didn't get an acceptance yet to yls or sls, they're doomed to go to hls. :mrgreen:

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:34 pm

It felt that way a little since I've been in at Harvard for months and months. Actually I'm quite glad I saved the ASW for after I got the Yale WL.

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Harvard is amazing, and I don't know why everyone sees it as a last resort. If they step up with the finaid (Y and S gave me 2 and 3 times what H did, respectively), then there's a good chance I'll be there in the fall.

HAZMAT

Postby HAZMAT » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 pm

I'll bet after most people sent in their applications to hls, an acceptance wasn't even on their radar before they got in. Once they're in, they act like it's chopped liver. I hope all of the yls & sls wannabes get into those schools and hls is left with the awesome people who actually are thrilled to be going there.
Last edited by HAZMAT on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Objection

Postby Objection » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 pm

Every time I go to submit my deposit something comes up. I wanted it done today, but my money hadn't cleared in the bank account so I couldn't get a money order. Ugh!

Tomorrow is the day I submit.

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:10 pm

can someone please why Lessig is THE man? i think i'm missing something

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:14 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:can someone please why Lessig is THE man? i think i'm missing something

In addition to being one of the experts in intellectual property and cyberlaw, he articulated a new framework for the relationship between law and society (laws, norms, markets, regulations).

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:19 pm

thank you!

mallard

Postby mallard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:12 am

Sure. He rose to fame when he was almost appointed "special master" and then asked for an amicus brief in the Microsoft antitrust case.

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:23 pm

has anyone received their HUID yet? i think the website said "late spring" we would receive them, but i just wanted to check.

Objection

Postby Objection » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Officially a member of the HLS class of 2012.

excitedutterance

Postby excitedutterance » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Objection wrote:Officially a member of the HLS class of 2012.

Congratulations, Objection! Oh, the peace of mind...

Noodle

Postby Noodle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Who is the current Dean of admissions?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 am

Objection wrote:Officially a member of the HLS class of 2012.

Congrats Objection!

I'll be joining you once this hell week gives me time to get to the bank and cut a check.

(PS: I asked this on another board but I'll ask it here too because it might be even more applicable here. How are y'all who are graduating this year going to keep your motivation through finals? I mean, I'm still working hard but I just see a few weeks left in college/with friends and I keep thinking why bother with assignment X anymore? ;))

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 am

SO hard iag!
I have senioritis pretty bad... haven't even bought my cap and gown yet!

So I was going to submit my deposit today but then I called them b/c i was a little reluctant to do so without my financial aid offer. Turns out they were waiting on biological dad's info (which is NOT going to happen) so I'm going through this whole process to get it waived and it's just a pain in ze butt! However, they're extending my deadline until I have an offer. What a nice office, I'm so pleased!

Has anyone checked out the clubs and orgs? What are you guys thinking of joining?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:SO hard iag!

So I was going to submit my deposit today but then I called them b/c i was a little reluctant to do so without my financial aid offer. Turns out they were waiting on biological dad's info (which is NOT going to happen) so I'm going through this whole process to get it waived and it's just a pain in ze butt! However, they're extending my deadline until I have an offer. What a nice office, I'm so pleased!

Has anyone checked out the clubs and orgs? What are you guys thinking of joining?

I know I should (and will) also be thinking about more academic/career-oriented clubs and orgs but, right now, the only one I'm sure that I'm joining is the Ballroom Dance Society. I love different kinds of dance and have been dancing (albeit somewhat lacklustrely)for a few years now and I think it'll be a great way to force myself to get away from law and meet people I wouldn't otherwise.

Also, as an aside, does ANYONE on this board know if the joint JD/PhD program is possible with a PhD from another school besides GSAS? What if the degree is run by a joint committee of GSAS and another school? I have one in mind and I've emailed multiple people about it in the past month and no one has gotten back with me. I'm just really interested to know the answer. Thanks all!

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

iagolives wrote:

I know I should (and will) also be thinking about more academic/career-oriented clubs and orgs but, right now, the only one I'm sure that I'm joining is the Ballroom Dance Society. I love different kinds of dance and have been dancing (albeit somewhat lacklustrely)for a few years now and I think it'll be a great way to force myself to get away from law and meet people I wouldn't otherwise.

Also, as an aside, does ANYONE on this board know if the joint JD/PhD program is possible with a PhD from another school besides GSAS? What if the degree is run by a joint committee of GSAS and another school? I have one in mind and I've emailed multiple people about it in the past month and no one has gotten back with me. I'm just really interested to know the answer. Thanks all!

Hey Iag, I'm probably doing this myself (a PhD from another school) and HLS did not make it very easy (one of my reasons for choosing SLS or YLS). I wouldn't get ANY credit that would count toward the JD, so there'd be no way to make it a joint-degree rather than simply a dual-degree. In addition, because HLS only gives the sweet financial incentives if you're doing a Harvard PhD, there were none of the perks (5-year loan repayment) that you get doing both at Harvard. This was ultimately a big factor for me. When I spoke to several joint-degree candidates with the PhD from another school, they said that it was basically like doing the two degrees totally separately but breaking them up in the middle. That said, if you swing doing your PhD in the GSAS, HLS makes it really financially do-able (although still not as much as doing both at Stanford, where you only pay ONE YEAR of tuition). Hope this helps. :)

FrenchiePatootie

Postby FrenchiePatootie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:38 am

iagolives wrote:

I was thinking BLSA, the drama society and a journal of some sort. Softball sounds really fun but I'm scared to suck haha

Objection

Postby Objection » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I kind of want to form my own org/clinic, so we will see. I have to sit down and look at the lists.

I may join the golf club, since I want to learn to play (I'm a total, total beginner).

Hoopster

Postby Hoopster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Congratulations, Objection! You should kick butt in Cambridge. :)

It sucks I can only pick one of the HYS, they're all amazing schools. I know by picking one I'm going to wonder if I'm missing out what the other two has to offer...at least until I start school. :wink:

Objection

Postby Objection » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:53 pm

Hoopster wrote:Congratulations, Objection! You should kick butt in Cambridge. :)

It sucks I can only pick one of the HYS, they're all amazing schools. I know by picking one I'm going to wonder if I'm missing out what the other two has to offer...at least until I start school. :wink:

Make a choice and don't look back.

Hoopster

Postby Hoopster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Wise advise, Objection. I think I know where I want to go but the choice won't become more clear until after my visit at Yale tomorrow through Saturday.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:54 pm

I just sent in my deposit. Drawing a check of that size out of my account hurts but it felt good to drop it in the mail! :)

Objection

Postby Objection » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 pm

iagolives wrote:I just sent in my deposit. Drawing a check of that size out of my account hurts but it felt good to drop it in the mail! :)

:D :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”