Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
laurathenerd

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by laurathenerd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:29 pm

cameltaur wrote:For those of you already moved into apartments- where did you buy furniture? I'm moving in on monday and want to have everything totally done by friday, so I need a good hitlist of places to go. If anyone has any ideas/good experiences to share that would be great.
Yeah, I'd like to know this too - I'm driving up with my mommy (yay!) but I have to buy bedroom furniture for my apartment (luckily the rest of it is furnished).

Also, I just bought most of my books. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the total cost is going to be less than what I usually paid for all my books in undergrad (one semester I had to buy 30 books because of this literature class I was in, and even though I got a lot of them for cheap...the cost of 30 books sure adds up fast!). I just hope I bought the right ones...I was even able to get one that had already had the biding ripped off and three-hole punched so I won't have to do it myself! Awesome.

cameltaur

New

Post by cameltaur » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:46 pm

laurathenerd wrote:
cameltaur wrote:For those of you already moved into apartments- where did you buy furniture? I'm moving in on monday and want to have everything totally done by friday, so I need a good hitlist of places to go. If anyone has any ideas/good experiences to share that would be great.
Yeah, I'd like to know this too - I'm driving up with my mommy (yay!) but I have to buy bedroom furniture for my apartment (luckily the rest of it is furnished).

Also, I just bought most of my books. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the total cost is going to be less than what I usually paid for all my books in undergrad (one semester I had to buy 30 books because of this literature class I was in, and even though I got a lot of them for cheap...the cost of 30 books sure adds up fast!). I just hope I bought the right ones...I was even able to get one that had already had the biding ripped off and three-hole punched so I won't have to do it myself! Awesome.
Where did you get your books? I think books will be my task after I sort out furniture...

Is there somewhere to get used books on campus, or is it just new at the coop or online? Sorry if this has been answered, I don't want to sift through 94 pages.
Last edited by cameltaur on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm

wtf?

books for the first semester were about what i paid for all four years of college... used history books ftw i guess.

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Just got my locker assignment! I'm hoping that will save me from needing to use a backpack this year.

And can't wait to meet everyone next week! :)

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:25 pm

Just bought all the books today - thank god for Amazon!!!

Note to other 5'ers: don't bother showing up at Copy Ctr for that LegReg book - it won't be ready for at least another week

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:15 am

cameltaur wrote:
laurathenerd wrote:

Where did you get your books? I think books will be my task after I sort out furniture...

Is there somewhere to get used books on campus, or is it just new at the coop or online? Sorry if this has been answered, I don't want to sift through 94 pages.
Amazon. One of the books I needed wasn't on there in the right edition, so I decided to wait and buy it on campus, but everything else I needed was on amazon for pretty cheap. I don't care if my books have markings if it means I pay 30 bucks less.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:37 am

Flight takes off in about 11 hours. This is awesome.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:00 am

I bought my furniture from bob's.

Thanks for the heads up on the legreg book, I was going to head there today...which brings me to...where is the copy center?

shep

New

Post by shep » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 am

Is anyone who is living in the dorms buying a refrigerator? Can we buy/rent one from the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Objection wrote:I bought my furniture from bob's.

Thanks for the heads up on the legreg book, I was going to head there today...which brings me to...where is the copy center?
:) it's in the maze of tunnels under Pound Hall - quite an odd place actually

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:01 pm

shep wrote:Is anyone who is living in the dorms buying a refrigerator? Can we buy/rent one from the school?
I'm planning on getting a mini fridge for my room at the closest walmart/target thing to campus (unlike during the year, I'll have a car when I'm moving in.) I'd love to help with where but, as it will be almost another week before I actually get there, I have a feeling you or someone else will find the happenin' place to get them before I get there!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm

iagolives wrote:
Objection wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:I was thinking of mostly sitting quietly in the back and listening. I've been keeping up on ATL and I think it'll be interesting to hear it how bad it really is (at least for Harvard students if it makes a difference) from the horse's mouth.
Where can I find details about this? I haven't heard of it :(
It's the second link under "Announcements." You will need your email login and password to enter.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

Also, (because I had no idea what an EIP was until I dug a bit): --LinkRemoved--

Frenchie, do you think they will let us go, especially since they are such sticklers about us not interviewing until December? I would think, since this is the first time they've done this, they would want to limit it to the "need to knows," especially given the fiasco that was their hiring cycle last year.

However, if you do go, an executive summary would be appreciated! ;)
I was talking about the email we got in our harvard mailboxes earlier this week I believe (or maybe late last week). I was just thinking about going to the panel discussion on Friday, which I believe is free. I figured that since we all got the email, that we were inviteD. I'll call to double check and I'll post details on here if I do end up going.

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Here is the link [http://www.law.harvard.edu/calendar/?tr ... 3d85216521] and content of the announcement:

EIP Preparation Program

When Friday, August 21, 2009, 1 – 5pm
Where Ames Courtroom
Event type Career Events
Sponsor Office of Career Services
Intended Audience Students
Note The EIP Preparation program will feature a frank discussion about the economy, an interviewing panel with hiring partners from major law firms as well as a program on the Top Ten Tricky Questions you may encounter in an interview. The afternoon will conclude with a Town Hall style meeting where you can ask questions of particular concern to you.

OCS Advisors will be available all day to answer any last minute questions you have as you head into this very important interviewing week. Snacks will be provided.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:
iagolives wrote:
Objection wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:I was thinking of mostly sitting quietly in the back and listening. I've been keeping up on ATL and I think it'll be interesting to hear it how bad it really is (at least for Harvard students if it makes a difference) from the horse's mouth.
Where can I find details about this? I haven't heard of it :(
It's the second link under "Announcements." You will need your email login and password to enter.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

Also, (because I had no idea what an EIP was until I dug a bit): --LinkRemoved--

Frenchie, do you think they will let us go, especially since they are such sticklers about us not interviewing until December? I would think, since this is the first time they've done this, they would want to limit it to the "need to knows," especially given the fiasco that was their hiring cycle last year.

However, if you do go, an executive summary would be appreciated! ;)
I was talking about the email we got in our harvard mailboxes earlier this week I believe (or maybe late last week). I was just thinking about going to the panel discussion on Friday, which I believe is free. I figured that since we all got the email, that we were inviteD. I'll call to double check and I'll post details on here if I do end up going.
Ha, unless I deleted it, I don't think I got that email. However, if you got an email inviting you, then disregard what I said. My bad! ;)

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm

shep wrote:Is anyone who is living in the dorms buying a refrigerator? Can we buy/rent one from the school?
I'm going to get one. I just ordered it online from Target. You can buy one from the school (--LinkRemoved--) but the one they offer seems to be a lot more expensive than the ones I was finding at Wal-Mart of Target.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:28 pm

So, I know I knew this on some level, but it just hit me that I'm not only going to have to remember room assignments for all of my classes but seat assignments too. Besides airplanes and the theatre, I haven't been in an assigned seat since freshman year of high school. Do you think the prof will hire someone to come around w/ a refreshment cart once we've reached altitude?

Also, to the person who's seat I accidentally take on the first day b/c I can't remember things, I preemptively apologize... ;)

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I just ordered a fridge from lowes for a great price with free shipping.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oxfordbenton87

New

Post by oxfordbenton87 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 pm

What have/are people doing about laptops? I wanted to get a Mac but I'm not sure about the service that would be available. I was thinking about the recommended Lenovos but you can't upgrade the warranty. Do most people get the Lenovo or some other PC? Or do people get Macs too?

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 pm

iagolives wrote:So, I know I knew this on some level, but it just hit me that I'm not only going to have to remember room assignments for all of my classes but seat assignments too. Besides airplanes and the theatre, I haven't been in an assigned seat since freshman year of high school. Do you think the prof will hire someone to come around w/ a refreshment cart once we've reached altitude?

Also, to the person who's seat I accidentally take on the first day b/c I can't remember things, I preemptively apologize... ;)
Agreed. Definitely going to have to write down my room numbers and seat assignments and keep them with me for the first couple of weeks.

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:32 pm

I got a new mac in dec. I love it.

Info about the exam software:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/re ... -faqs.html

Most Windows and Mac operating systems are supported. There is the following list online at Exam4’s website:
Microsoft Windows™ XP and Vista operating systems;
Windows 2000 and NT; and
Apple Macintosh™ OS X version 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard
If you are using a Mac or Windows Vista, you must give yourself administrator rights. If you need help with this, you can go to the Help Desk (help@law.harvard.edu).
Linux operating systems are NOT supported.
If you have further questions about this, please don’t hesitate to go to http://www.exam4.com and follow the links for user support.

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:01 pm

oxfordbenton87 wrote:What have/are people doing about laptops? I wanted to get a Mac but I'm not sure about the service that would be available. I was thinking about the recommended Lenovos but you can't upgrade the warranty. Do most people get the Lenovo or some other PC? Or do people get Macs too?
I've been a Mac fan since undergrad, so I went with a 13-inch MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier with it.

I also installed Windows and Fusion so I can run PC programs if I want. But that's mainly because I like flexibility. I'm pretty sure most of the programs you need run fine on Macs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm

at the risk of being a copycat...

Posting from Boston!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 am

oxfordbenton87 wrote:What have/are people doing about laptops? I wanted to get a Mac but I'm not sure about the service that would be available. I was thinking about the recommended Lenovos but you can't upgrade the warranty. Do most people get the Lenovo or some other PC? Or do people get Macs too?
I was going to get a Lenovo but the order process was an absolute clusterf*ck. They "lost" my order and by the time they figured it out, my computer wasn't going to get to me until the end of the month. No bueno. Dealing with Lenovo was, by far, the most painful and difficult computer buying process ever. :x

I decided to just order a Sony Vaio since I liked the Vaio I previously had. There was a slight discount in ordering for educational purposes and I found the computer to be pretty reasonably priced.

Redfern

New

Post by Redfern » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:11 am

A few places I went for furniture:

College Furniture on Harvard Ave in Allston. A few of the pieces are nicer, but mostly it's what you'd expect. They have great area rugs.

Target at the Watertown Mall. I think their stuff is a little nicer than Ikea for comparable prices. You've got to assemble it, but that means its easy to fit in a car.

Cort's on Beacon Street in Brighton. They've got good upholstered furniture at very low prices. They don't deliver, but they will arrange prompt delivery that's also very cheap.

Redfern

New

Post by Redfern » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 am

Oh, and returning to the topic of shipping our books from Amazon/B&N: do you know if people living off-campus can ship to campus? I'm a little uneasy about having packages dropped off at my apartment in plain sight.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”