Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by iagolives » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am

zabagabe wrote:
iagolives wrote:
pinkflamingo wrote:he CLS admitted student program convinced me that Harvard is the right choice. Now I've just got to try to accept the debt and send in my deposit. Harvard class of 2012- it's official!
That must feel SOO good pink. I'm ready to put this whole process behind me. I mean, for a lot of us, it's almost been half a year!
That's kind of depressing to think about. I should have written a novel with all the time I've spent worrying about this! ;)
+1 What would you call it, Zab?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am

pinkflamingo wrote:
Objection wrote:I actually visited Michigan already. I liked HLS more. I actually found more stuffy-ass people at UMich than HLS, which surprised me (it was probably just luck of the draw, but first impressions and all...)

It's more about the idea of turning down a sizable amount of money. I need someone to tell me it's OK to do, haha.
That's interesting. I don't think I've heard anyone say they liked the people at HLS more than Michigan. I visited CLS last week, and found the same thing, although I think CLS probably has a reputation for too many "stuffy-ass people." The CLS admitted student program convinced me that Harvard is the right choice. Now I've just got to try to accept the debt and send in my deposit. Harvard class of 2012- it's official!
I think I just lucked out with both a really awesome group of people at the ASW I went to and really awesome luck causing me to meet only the really awesome people.

I think iago can vouch for it as well. It was pretty awesome.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 am

It's a huge relief (as long as I'm not thinking about the loans). I applied on October 1st, although I think I've been stressing since at least the June LSAT, so I'm definitely ready to end the stress! Good luck on the decision making process to the rest of you!

Also, Objection, the most of the groups that I met at the ASW were pretty awesome as well, so it may have been more than just luck finding one group.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Yeah, I'll vouch for objection. The people (especially the TLSers...*cough*) were pretty awesome. Not at ALL how I thought Harvard admits would be. I have to say that the people definitely made the weekend for me. (Granted, sketch-o Irish bar was a close second, hahaha.)

totalidiot

New

Post by totalidiot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 pm

ha, I would almost certainly take the Darrow nevertheless, particularly now that I'm actually facing my "financial aid" package (i.e. my mountain of loans)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ladymacbeth

New

Post by ladymacbeth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 pm

I received my financial aid award offer from Stanford today and they're offering me about 50% more in grants than Harvard. Anyone been successful in negotiating aid with Harvard? Or know of any examples from these boards?

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:55 pm

ladymacbeth wrote:I received my financial aid award offer from Stanford today and they're offering me about 50% more in grants than Harvard. Anyone been successful in negotiating aid with Harvard? Or know of any examples from these boards?
It's definitely worth a try! Several of us cross-admits were successful at upping our Yale offers by providing our (better) Stanford ones. I haven't tried this with HLS, but if it worked at Yale, why not try!?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 am

zabagabe wrote:
ladymacbeth wrote:I received my financial aid award offer from Stanford today and they're offering me about 50% more in grants than Harvard. Anyone been successful in negotiating aid with Harvard? Or know of any examples from these boards?
It's definitely worth a try! Several of us cross-admits were successful at upping our Yale offers by providing our (better) Stanford ones. I haven't tried this with HLS, but if it worked at Yale, why not try!?
In the HLS award email it specifically said to send them other need-based offers. So I sent them my SLS offer. Stay tuned for results...

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 am

anyone else just get an email from dean zearfoss saying how much she wants you to go to michigan? uh i'm so conflicted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 am

Pumpkin wrote:anyone else just get an email from dean zearfoss saying how much she wants you to go to michigan? uh i'm so conflicted
No, but that's awesome. I'd ask for a free room in the Lawyer's Club. "If you really want me to come there, show me (even more) money."

Kidding. I probably wouldn't say that. But I would think it.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:29 am

zabagabe wrote:It's definitely worth a try! Several of us cross-admits were successful at upping our Yale offers by providing our (better) Stanford ones. I haven't tried this with HLS, but if it worked at Yale, why not try!?
Oh to be a cross admit.... :)

eri

New

Post by eri » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Just updating myself on what's being said on this forum...thanks objection :D glad to hear you thought I was cool! haha but yes, I can vouch for everyone as well - there was a sweet buncha kids at HLS ASW and I'm incredibly relieved to know my classmates won't be a bunch of weirdos. As to how different the people are at other schools I can't say (I liked HLS so much I didn't bother checking out any other schools lol) but as I explained to my parents, I think everyone who got in was just so completely comfortable with their futures and themselves and happy to be there that we all relaxed and didn't HAVE to be competitive and stuffy. I really felt like everyone was just nice and outgoing and friendly. Way different than what I expected :D

P.S. I'll be in Gropius next year!!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 pm

eri wrote:Just updating myself on what's being said on this forum...thanks objection :D glad to hear you thought I was cool! haha but yes, I can vouch for everyone as well - there was a sweet buncha kids at HLS ASW and I'm incredibly relieved to know my classmates won't be a bunch of weirdos. As to how different the people are at other schools I can't say (I liked HLS so much I didn't bother checking out any other schools lol) but as I explained to my parents, I think everyone who got in was just so completely comfortable with their futures and themselves and happy to be there that we all relaxed and didn't HAVE to be competitive and stuffy. I really felt like everyone was just nice and outgoing and friendly. Way different than what I expected :D

P.S. I'll be in Gropius next year!!
TCR.

On a different note, I really wish I could see into the future and see where this economy will be in Fall 2010 (when we are looking for jobs). The more likely big law salary cuts become, the more wary I get about going $244k into debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Would it be bad form to ask one of my teachers (who is a practicing lawyer) for advice on picking a school, even though I've never really spoken to him before?

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Objection wrote:Would it be bad form to ask one of my teachers (who is a practicing lawyer) for advice on picking a school, even though I've never really spoken to him before?
no, it would be fine. plus, since he's an academic there's also a good chance he's an egomaniacal narcissist (at least to some extent), so perhaps he'll appreciate the flattery.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 pm

If he's an economist that can predict the future... otherwise you'll still be where you are now :P

Obj, I think that there will still be some best of breed firms that will still be doing reasonably well, and all we can do at this point is to hope that the economy turns around in relatively short fashion.

I wouldn't count on getting a 1L gig but I think that getting a 2L summer gig is still a reasonable expectation from Harvard, esp. now that they moved up their OCI.
Last edited by sluggo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:07 pm

sluggo wrote: I wouldn't count on getting a 1L gig but I think that getting a 2L summer gig is still a reasonable expectation from Harvard, esp. now that they moved up their OCI. Another thing about Harvard that's really nice is that you have worldwide portability if America keeps making bad economic decisions and some European (or other) country looks like a better place to live.
You really don't think that a HLS student could essentially bank on a 1L gig? depressing!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 am

Obj, the mountain of debt was one of the primary reasons that I withdrew from Harvard (despite hlsjd12 or whatever the name was) insisting at the end of the day I'd pick Harvard.

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:44 am

Objection, fwiw:

My fear of being $200k+ in debt was really holding me back from choosing HLS (and a couple other factors too, but debt most of all). I have several lawyer relatives and they believe that the debt is worth it. They know the market right now and what it's like in good times, too. One of my parents even encouraged me to turn down a full scholarship offer from his/her alma mater. A firm lawyer I know well encouraged me to aim for higher than HIS alma mater and higher than my original "goal" school, too. And I could go on and on--I've gotten this same advice from every lawyer I know, in a variety of private and public sector jobs, except for two (who were hesitant to push for HLS because the alumni they know thought it was a miserable place over a decade ago).

HLS is a "safe" bet for me despite the debt because I don't know what I want to do professionally and whatever field you pursue, you really can't go wrong with Harvard. I'm still scared about it, but knowing all this alleviates my worries a little bit (and the other factors that draw me to Harvard more than balance out the concerns).

That said, I definitely think it's a personal decision and everyone will have different priorities. (And, full disclosure: if I had been offered a full scholarship to another T14 that I liked a lot, that might have changed the game, but that was not the case.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with approaching the teacher. I think most lawyers would be willing to advise you and most teachers are happy to advise students (at least at Harvard they are!). Plus, you should get in the habit of approaching professors if you aren't already, it'll be a good habit to bring to law school :)

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 am

Currie84 wrote:Objection, fwiw:

My fear of being $200k+ in debt was really holding me back from choosing HLS (and a couple other factors too, but debt most of all). I have several lawyer relatives and they believe that the debt is worth it. They know the market right now and what it's like in good times, too. One of my parents even encouraged me to turn down a full scholarship offer from his/her alma mater. A firm lawyer I know well encouraged me to aim for higher than HIS alma mater and higher than my original "goal" school, too. And I could go on and on--I've gotten this same advice from every lawyer I know, in a variety of private and public sector jobs, except for two (who were hesitant to push for HLS because the alumni they know thought it was a miserable place over a decade ago).

HLS is a "safe" bet for me despite the debt because I don't know what I want to do professionally and whatever field you pursue, you really can't go wrong with Harvard. I'm still scared about it, but knowing all this alleviates my worries a little bit (and the other factors that draw me to Harvard more than balance out the concerns).

That said, I definitely think it's a personal decision and everyone will have different priorities. (And, full disclosure: if I had been offered a full scholarship to another T14 that I liked a lot, that might have changed the game, but that was not the case.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with approaching the teacher. I think most lawyers would be willing to advise you and most teachers are happy to advise students (at least at Harvard they are!). Plus, you should get in the habit of approaching professors if you aren't already, it'll be a good habit to bring to law school :)
That's interesting. I talked to a handful of lawyers in a couple different cities who said the opposite. First, I will say that obviously we're talking about alternatives that are each fantastic by any reasonable metric, so the question about which one is best/worst is most likely to be a moot point in 5 years when you have the same job you would have had coming out of the other school. That means that I think you can pass on Harvard without somehow compromising your career. However, it also means that Harvard is not going to be a bad choice. Like has been said, I think it really is a personal thing. Part of me really really wants to go to Harvard. But part of me says that Harvard is not going to give me any articulable, professional benefit to make it worth $160k+ that I don't have. Consider the time value of money and make a personal judgment call.

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Hm, that is interesting, drylo. I wonder if it also has to do with the market. Most of the people I talked to were concentrated in one city. And I do agree with what you're saying to an extent, if we're comparing Harvard and other well-regarded schools. I think it's more like taking different paths to the same end than it is like being set for life vs. screwed if you pick the "wrong" school. My pick of HLS--which is not at all an easy choice and has been several months in the making--is definitely a personal one, based on my goals, my "feels" for different schools/cities, my past experiences, advice I've received, and my many, many worries (and I'm so neurotic, it makes decision-making quite hard).

I would argue still that the benefits that come with the Harvard name/network can't be overstated. Again, I guess it matters what the other school is--for me, the other schools I was looking at are also amazing schools but they don't have the same level of alumni representation in high power positions or carry that kind of cache (which I have decided are important to me).

Regardless of my arguable "safety" as an HLS student, I'm crossing my fingers that the "ITE" considerations will be moot in a couple years and hopefully before we graduate...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi all! I just got my KB2 this afternoon(!) and I was wondering if you guys can advise on how soon I'm likely to hear about financial aid. Will they ship that info to me in the acceptance packet, or is it sent some other way?

Sorry if this has come up here already--I searched a bit, but didn't want to go back through the entire forum to check.

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:17 am

congrats!!!

you gotta submit your info and it takes them roughly 2 weeks.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:27 am

Yes, congrats!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:38 am

well looks like sls is not gonna happen for me so harvard, here i come!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”