Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
HAZMAT

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by HAZMAT » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to crash your party, it's just that some of the comments made on this thread could be offensive to some.....

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:54 pm

AD11 wrote:hmmm... better stay off excelsior's bad side by drinking as much as I can. Speaking of which, do you have to be a frequent poster here to go to this August 22 meet and greet or is every 1L invited?
Depends what form the meet and greet takes. If it's at my apt, I don't think every 1L would work, but definitely the TLS crew at least.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 pm

I'll work the door. :P

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:55 pm

I just read the link re: loans, and I'm wondering if the consensus is to take out the loans from Discover. Do people think those listed benefits from borrowing from the gov't outweigh the lower interest rates from Discover? And did anyone else feel like that was a bit of propaganda trying to convince you to help the federal government save money? I thought it came off a bit odd...

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:22 pm

sluggo wrote:I'll work the door. :P
the pole is much more profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I asked this a bit ago but didn't get much of a response. Has anyone else not submitted all their gradplus stuff? Am I the only one? :oops:

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Iago,

You're not the only one.

So is the consensus to go with Discover? Maybe I should make a poll...

jco

New

Post by jco » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:52 pm

sluggo wrote:Iago,

You're not the only one.

So is the consensus to go with Discover? Maybe I should make a poll...
Don't the Direct GradPLUS loans have better terms than the Discover loans?

Direct- 7.9% interest with 2.5% origination fee (http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... terms.html)

Discover- 8.0% interest with 3% origination fee (http://www.discoverstudentloans.com/stu ... -plus.aspx)

What else does Discover have to offer that would make it better?

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:54 pm

jco wrote:What else does Discover have to offer that would make it better?
I'm interested in hearing this too.
Iago, I haven't taken care of my loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CCA08

New

Post by CCA08 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:04 pm

It seems that Discover is better for Stafford loans. No origination fee vs a .5 fee and 6.55 rate vs 6.8. Is there any reason not to pick Discover for Stafford loans?

jco

New

Post by jco » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:59 pm

CCA08 wrote:It seems that Discover is better for Stafford loans. No origination fee vs a .5 fee and 6.55 rate vs 6.8. Is there any reason not to pick Discover for Stafford loans?
That's a good point. I feel a little better with dealing directly with Harvard's SFS office than with Discover, but I don't know if I feel $1370 better (if I made the calculation correctly). Can anyone verify that the .25% interest rate reduction is 1) Guaranteed if Discover sells the loan and 2) Not offered through the Direct Stafford?

jco

New

Post by jco » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:17 pm

jco wrote:
CCA08 wrote:It seems that Discover is better for Stafford loans. No origination fee vs a .5 fee and 6.55 rate vs 6.8. Is there any reason not to pick Discover for Stafford loans?
That's a good point. I feel a little better with dealing directly with Harvard's SFS office than with Discover, but I don't know if I feel $1370 better (if I made the calculation correctly). Can anyone verify that the .25% interest rate reduction is 1) Guaranteed if Discover sells the loan and 2) Not offered through the Direct Stafford?
It seems that the .25% interest rate reduction is actually available through the Direct Stafford loan (--LinkRemoved--). This leaves the .5% origination fee, but that is only about $100 each year if you take out the full $20500. To me this isn't worth splitting up your loans over multiple creditors.

CCA08

New

Post by CCA08 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks that helps a lot. I think that actually makes direct loans a better deal because of the way interest capitalizes on unsubsidized loans while in school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shep

New

Post by shep » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 pm

I am a bit confused. When i spoke to the financial aid office, I was told that I didn't need to do anything about my stafford loans yet- just to do my gradplus loans.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:33 am

We need a flowchart or a FAQ or something.

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:22 am

Did anyone visit the Hemenway Gym during ASWs?

Was it super crowded?

Currie84

New

Post by Currie84 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:00 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:Did anyone visit the Hemenway Gym during ASWs?

Was it super crowded?
The Hemenway gets very crowded during "peak hours" like late afternoon. For the cardio machines they have sign-in sheets to reserve time on the machines in half-hour increments. At its worst, you can show up and find that no machines are free in the current or coming time slot. At other times, however, it can be much emptier (though I've never seen it actually empty). Late morning or other times many people would be in class it tends to be very quiet. I'm not sure how crowded it is when it first opens in the morning or is nearing closing time at night.

If you're willing to stray a bit from the law school you can use the other gyms on campus. The Malkin Athletic Center (known as the MAC) is the main university gym and it's located closer to the river. It is bigger than the Hemenway but as I recall it also can be very crowded at certain hours.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TransferQs

New

Post by TransferQs » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 am

Fuck harvard, you guys are dumb. Go to the people's college of law:

--ImageRemoved--

People's college of law: Don't fuck with us because we'll cut you vato!

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Currie84 wrote: The Hemenway gets very crowded during "peak hours" like late afternoon. For the cardio machines they have sign-in sheets to reserve time on the machines in half-hour increments. At its worst, you can show up and find that no machines are free in the current or coming time slot.....
Thanks Currie84 :) .

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:52 pm

shep wrote:I am a bit confused. When i spoke to the financial aid office, I was told that I didn't need to do anything about my stafford loans yet- just to do my gradplus loans.
If you are going for the Direct Stafford loans, you don't need to do anything at this time. SFS will automatically set them up for you and you just have to sign an MPN in August or September when they email you. If you want to use an alternative lender, you have to tell them not to take out the Direct loan and apply separately.
Currie84 wrote:
crazy_zoologist wrote:Did anyone visit the Hemenway Gym during ASWs?

Was it super crowded?
The Hemenway gets very crowded during "peak hours" like late afternoon. For the cardio machines they have sign-in sheets to reserve time on the machines in half-hour increments. At its worst, you can show up and find that no machines are free in the current or coming time slot. At other times, however, it can be much emptier (though I've never seen it actually empty). Late morning or other times many people would be in class it tends to be very quiet. I'm not sure how crowded it is when it first opens in the morning or is nearing closing time at night.

If you're willing to stray a bit from the law school you can use the other gyms on campus. The Malkin Athletic Center (known as the MAC) is the main university gym and it's located closer to the river. It is bigger than the Hemenway but as I recall it also can be very crowded at certain hours.
The MAC pretty much always has at least a few machines available, which isn't always true of Hemenway. It's about a 10 minute walk from the law school campus, though.

shep

New

Post by shep » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks JCO

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:25 pm

I just submitted all of my loan stuff. I'm now officially uber in debt. Boo. Hollar if you're with me down in Marx's exploited class now. ;)

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:09 am

Hey
so I don't know if you guys keep in touch with your assigned alumni contact or whatchamightwannacallthem but I have to say that the girl I've been talking has soooooo helpful and genuinely wants to answer Qs. It's just so nice. I'm totally impressed. That was my little appreciation blurb. :D

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:44 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Hey
so I don't know if you guys keep in touch with your assigned alumni contact or whatchamightwannacallthem but I have to say that the girl I've been talking has soooooo helpful and genuinely wants to answer Qs. It's just so nice. I'm totally impressed. That was my little appreciation blurb. :D
alumni contact?

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:14 pm

iagolives wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Hey
alumni contact?
I ain't got no stinkin' alumni contact. I had a 1L pen pal who proved to be very helpful, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”