Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Currie84

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by Currie84 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:46 am

Not trying to be snarky, I just disagree. There are communities and industry and lots of events that exist completely independent of Harvard and the other universities. And if you want to find ppl and places and things totally unattached to the university you can, easily. One of the things that made me pick Harvard over other places was that I didn't want to be in an isolated little college town.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 am

Currie84 wrote:For the record, Cambridge is not a college town.

Harvard Square =/= Cambridge.

If you stay within the 1 mile radius of HLS, yes, you might think that. The section of Cambridge that Harvard is in, Harvard Square, is dominated by Harvard buildings and Harvard students (surprise!) but Cambridge is a lot bigger than just Harvard Square. And there are other universities in Cambridge, btw.
There is no record. This is all opinion. There is no objective metric that determines what is or is not a college town. And I recognize that there are other schools in Cambridge, that's why I said "institutions" and not institution.

I also clearly said that this was my personal opinion and assessment and I didn't necessarily think it was widely shared.

If you'd like to discuss some of the wonderful attributes of Cambridge that aren't A) Related to the educational institutions located there or the various businesses that tend to cluster around educational institutions (I.E. Bars, bookstores, restaurants) or B) Generic greater Boston area stuff, I'm sure that people would like to hear about some of the wonderful opportunities for fun and adventure near Harvard. I know I would.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:08 pm

FWIW, in The American College Town, Blake Gumprecht includes Cambridge as a college town. http://www.amazon.com/American-College- ... 883&sr=1-1

Wikipedia also seemed to endorse this reading in its "college town" entry.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm

mallard wrote:
Objection wrote:Wait what? I've been away from this thread. I'm confused which part of the conversation was offensive and/or pathetic.

Someone care to enlighten me?
We like our sweatshirts too much. We should like each other instead.

I like you, Objection.
Omg Mallard. You have no idea how hard I laughed at this. Props.

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

It's official--I submitted my deposit today! I'm really excited.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law school question

New

Post by law school question » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 pm

abenn07 wrote:It's official--I submitted my deposit today! I'm really excited.
Congrats!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:15 pm

abenn07 wrote:It's official--I submitted my deposit today! I'm really excited.
Congrats! See you in the fall!

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 pm

The whole Cambridge/Boston metro area definitely has pockets that are heavily influenced by the surrounding community. I would think this would be a good thing, unless of course, having undergrads around bugs you.

Overall, I like the young median age of the Boston metro area. More people to meet, and more businesses who will cater to our age group's interests (bars, music, etc.) I'm trying to see the downside of a "college town" and I would imagine it would be something along the lines of the city being too dominated by one particular university and not having enough independence. I mean sure there are a lot of Harvard sweatshirts walking around, but from what I've seen and read, there appears to be a bunch of fun things to do in the Cambridge/Boston area that are totally unaffiliated with Harvard.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'm just not sure I understand the specific problem you have with Cambridge.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:56 pm

sluggo wrote:The whole Cambridge/Boston metro area definitely has pockets that are heavily influenced by the surrounding community. I would think this would be a good thing, unless of course, having undergrads around bugs you.

Overall, I like the young median age of the Boston metro area. More people to meet, and more businesses who will cater to our age group's interests (bars, music, etc.) I'm trying to see the downside of a "college town" and I would imagine it would be something along the lines of the city being too dominated by one particular university and not having enough independence. I mean sure there are a lot of Harvard sweatshirts walking around, but from what I've seen and read, there appears to be a bunch of fun things to do in the Cambridge/Boston area that are totally unaffiliated with Harvard.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I'm just not sure I understand the specific problem you have with Cambridge.
First of all, I was specifically talking about Cambridge and not the Boston metro area, so let's separate those from the outset.

Secondly, I mean, it's just personal preference. I like areas with a more diverse population in terms of age, interest, whatever. I like old Dominican men playing dominoes outside coffee shops and weird Colombian religious revivals in the park and a neighborhood more focused on stuff other than school. The area has some interesting Portuguese funkiness going on, but other than that it's a little white bread and young for my tastes.

Which is entirely personal, and I recognize that. And I said that. I'm not going to convince you to like what I like, and you won't convince me not to want 24 hour diners full of cops and transit workers and the like.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:57 pm

So I'm reading A Civil Action and they mention Facher taught a trial practice course at HLS. Does anyone know exactly what course he taught and what is its equivalent today?

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/co ... 0/?id=6891

That's the closest I could find.

memento

New

Post by memento » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Objection wrote:Hm...looking at the HLS computer reimbursement page...

Approved Accessories: Palm Pilots/PDAs/Handhelds

Ineligible: iPods/mp3 Players

Under which category does the iphone fall? I think a strong argument can be made for the former...
Hey guys, relatively new to TLS and will be joining you all at harvard next fall. I was trying to find info on computer reimbursement stuff. Can someone give me a link?

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:51 pm

cardinalabyss

New

Post by cardinalabyss » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm

I've visited my top three (Yale, Harvard, and Columbia), thought long and hard (that's what she said... Ok, sorry! Sometimes, I'm pretty sure that I'm still be 10), and talked about this at length with my boyfriend, family and friends, and I'm happy to say that I sent my deposit to Harvard this afternoon!

Others (e.g., treple) have enumerated many reasons to go to Harvard over Yale so I won't go into it (if you really want to know PM me) but to put it simply, I felt like Yale was a really great dress that you see and you say, "Wow, that would be great for someone else." Yale is an amazing place, really unlike any other, it just wasn't for me.

And Harvard's coffee cups are cooler than Yale's. Kidding... sort of...

Anyway, see you all in the fall!!

Does anyone know if Fenway is too far to live?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abenn07

New

Post by abenn07 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Congratulations, cardinalabyss! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Congrats to everyone who has sent in their deposits! I'm starting to get pretty excited about the fall!

cardinalabyss

New

Post by cardinalabyss » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 pm

abenn07 wrote:Congratulations, cardinalabyss! It's a great feeling, isn't it?
Thanks and yes, it's an amazing feeling! I'm so happy to be decided!

JackJo21

New

Post by JackJo21 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:09 am

I just got my financial aid package from Harvard and it seems really low--12,000 in grants, and everything else is loans. My parent's income is less than $60,000 a year, and I made only $6,000USD last year (working abroad).

Does that number seem abnormally low?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ronniea116

New

Post by ronniea116 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi everyone,

New to the boards but excited to be a part of HLS 2012!

I'm currently living in Cambridge right now and looking for a roommate to potentially share a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment right across the street from HLS (Approximately 1590 Massachusetts Ave). I've checked it out, and it's a great location... Currently occupied by a graduating 3L. Shoot me a message if you're interested!

Thanks,

Ronnie

JackJo21

New

Post by JackJo21 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:06 pm

JackJo21 wrote:I just got my financial aid package from Harvard and it seems really low--12,000 in grants, and everything else is loans. My parent's income is less than $60,000 a year, and I made only $6,000USD last year (working abroad).

Hi,

Any comments on this? I'm thinking of sending in a deposit to Stanford now because while I really like Harvard, I don't want to take out $50,000 in loans every year.

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:10 pm

i didn't get any money, and none from my parents, so all loans for me. daunting but hopefully i'm not the only one

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 pm

JackJo21 wrote:
JackJo21 wrote:I just got my financial aid package from Harvard and it seems really low--12,000 in grants, and everything else is loans. My parent's income is less than $60,000 a year, and I made only $6,000USD last year (working abroad).

Hi,

Any comments on this? I'm thinking of sending in a deposit to Stanford now because while I really like Harvard, I don't want to take out $50,000 in loans every year.
I don't think you'll find many people willing to openly discuss the specifics of their finances/financial aid here, though some may PM you. If Stanford made you a much better offer and Harvard isn't worth $50,000 a year in loans to you then you should go to Stanford. I personally believe that the benefits of a Harvard education and the value of the Harvard brand are such that I am comfortable taking on significant loans to attend Harvard. It looks like a lot of money now, and it is a lot of money, but Harvard law degrees are worth a heck of a lot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Pumpkin wrote:i didn't get any money, and none from my parents, so all loans for me. daunting but hopefully i'm not the only one
You're not alone, I promise! :D

1004LSAT

New

Post by 1004LSAT » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Where do you hope practice law and what kind? If you plan to practice in California, go with Stanford. If you want to practice anywhere else, go to Harvard. But remember, unless you go the route of big law, it may take you an awfully long time to pay off those loans.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 pm

packergirl13 wrote:
Pumpkin wrote:i didn't get any money, and none from my parents, so all loans for me. daunting but hopefully i'm not the only one
You're not alone, I promise! :D
I'm right there with both of you!

356a

New

Post by 356a » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 pm

I would pick SLS over HLS even at the same price...let alone with a $$$ difference.

[adding more now]

With the $$$, it would make it a no brainer.

Why? I love the smaller size and the reported more collegial nature, and better student/prof interaction.
And either name travels both coasts really well, so no difference there.

But... I do like the Harvard campus quite a bit, and I think living in Cambridge would be fun. Of course, the winter's are tougher, so a trade off. Skiing is much better in Tahoe than back east...

But the $$$... no question for me.
Last edited by 356a on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”