Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Anyone try to sign up for the dental PPO with no luck? Maybe I'll call after the holiday weekend...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Crap. Medical forms for the lose.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Objection wrote:Crap. Medical forms for the lose.
I've been meaning to ask you. Who is Sharpton dancing with in that picture, Obj?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 pm

iagolives wrote:
Objection wrote:Crap. Medical forms for the lose.
I've been meaning to ask you. Who is Sharpton dancing with in that picture, Obj?
no idea, but he's grinding.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Does anyone know if we can get our immunizations record sent directly from undergrad?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm

So this is a random question, but exactly how snowy/cold does it get in the winter in Boston? I'm very concerned about this - I almost chose Duke over UVA ONLY because it was a few hours further south. Of course, now I'm going to Harvard instead, and I'm hoping the winters will be at least marginally better than the ones I suffered through in Utah. Just curious.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:14 pm

laurathenerd wrote:So this is a random question, but exactly how snowy/cold does it get in the winter in Boston? I'm very concerned about this - I almost chose Duke over UVA ONLY because it was a few hours further south. Of course, now I'm going to Harvard instead, and I'm hoping the winters will be at least marginally better than the ones I suffered through in Utah. Just curious.
I have family in New Hampshire (not Boston, but pretty close) and they say that they are fierce. While you in Utah have pretty harsh winters, I feel fairly confident that, if the winters are different at all, they will be worse rather than better. I mean, the fact they built a tunnel system connecting all of the law buildings so you don't have to go outside in the winter says something!

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:50 pm

If anyone comes across any good stores/deals for beds/furniture in the Boston area in the next several weeks, let's post it on here. This place called boston bed company seems good.

--LinkRemoved--

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:42 pm

sluggo wrote:If anyone comes across any good stores/deals for beds/furniture in the Boston area in the next several weeks, let's post it on here. This place called boston bed company seems good.

--LinkRemoved--
Just so you know the Cambridge location of Boston bed company shut down. I moved in just down the block, so I thought I would get a mattress from them, but the building was completely empty. The rest of the business is probably doing fine though - their website says they're opening another location in Burlington.
laurathenerd wrote:So this is a random question, but exactly how snowy/cold does it get in the winter in Boston? I'm very concerned about this - I almost chose Duke over UVA ONLY because it was a few hours further south. Of course, now I'm going to Harvard instead, and I'm hoping the winters will be at least marginally better than the ones I suffered through in Utah. Just curious.
It gets very cold from November through March or even April. If you have a heavy jacket, you'll be fine in terms of warmth, but the winter months are very bleak and dreary. The snow is not that bad; it's not nearly as bad as parts of New Hampshire at least. Occasionally there are large snow storms, but the real problem is slush and freezing rain. Harvard Square has horrible drainage for the streets and sidewalks, so they tend to get flooded and pretty unwalkable when there's a "wintry mix." On the plus side, the weather for the first few months should be excellent. Early autumn is the best time to be in Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Curses. Looks like I'm going to have to just be cold :) Of course, this gives me an excuse to buy cute winter accessories like scarves and hats...

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Is the consensus that a down jacket is the warmest?

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:27 pm

jco,

Thanks for the headsup on the bed company. Where is your new place? Do you like it so far?

jco

New

Post by jco » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:07 pm

sluggo wrote:jco,

Thanks for the headsup on the bed company. Where is your new place? Do you like it so far?
It's about 2 miles down Cambridge St from the law school. A little far off campus, but only a 10 minute ride on the 69 bus. I love my place- a beautiful townhouse with all new construction and a jacuzzi with cheap rent. Plus I'm right next to a Shaws and the best fish market in Boston and a couple minutes walk away from the Cambridgeside Galleria and Lechemere to go downtown.
prelaw wrote:Is the consensus that a down jacket is the warmest?
Down jackets are good but layers are the key. If you where a car coat over any sort of warm jacket and a scarf, you will be nice and toasty. You will look like a stereotype of a law student, but you will be warm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:47 am

jco wrote: Down jackets are good but layers are the key. If you where a car coat over any sort of warm jacket and a scarf, you will be nice and toasty. You will look like a stereotype of a law student, but you will be warm.
And this is a bad thing, jco? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of looking forward to having an excuse to look like this:

(don't judge)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 am

iagolives wrote:
jco wrote: Down jackets are good but layers are the key. If you where a car coat over any sort of warm jacket and a scarf, you will be nice and toasty. You will look like a stereotype of a law student, but you will be warm.
And this is a bad thing, jco? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm kind of looking forward to having an excuse to look like this:

(don't judge)
There will be a ladder of punishments for various infractions against a sensible dress code.

Just to give you a general idea of their severity, if you wear a vest, you may consider your life forfeit.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:11 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

(don't judge)
There will be a ladder of punishments for various infractions against a sensible dress code.

Just to give you a general idea of their severity, if you wear a vest, you may consider your life forfeit.
Oh come on, its not like I or anyone else probably would look like this on anything approaching a constant basis but tell me you wouldn't feel awesome walking into some bohemian coffee shop somewhere looking like this on a cold winters day just once.

I mean, I hate to say it man, but if you don't agree, I'm afraid heaven>you.

jco

New

Post by jco » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 am

I agree, Iago, that there are worse things you can look like than a stereotypical law student. All my roommates did make fun of me when I bought a car coat last winter though :).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 am

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

(don't judge)

Oh come on, its not like I or anyone else probably would look like this on anything approaching a constant basis but tell me you wouldn't feel awesome walking into some bohemian coffee shop somewhere looking like this on a cold winters day just once.

I mean, I hate to say it man, but if you don't agree, I'm afraid heaven>you.
For the record, I own a pea coat and a top coat. I love to wear a suit. I even own a three-piece suit. But I would save the vest for only the most formal occasions. Like a fancy ball. Good catch on the Latin though. :D

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 am

looking like a marshmallow FTW.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:48 am

jco wrote:I agree, Iago, that there are worse things you can look like than a stereotypical law student. All my roommates did make fun of me when I bought a car coat last winter though :).
Jealousy. Obviously.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:01 am

joshikousei wrote:
looking like a marshmallow FTW.
I just realized I spent three months in Scotland looking like a marshmallow - I have this cream coat that is puffy with really puffy sleeves and I wore it all the time because it was so dang cold there. Of course, I had a matching cream hat and gloves and scarf...looks like I'm going to have to kick it up a notch for law school, or at least refuse to give into the temptation to look like something from Ghostbusters...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Hat, gloves, and scarf will keep you warm with even thin jackets. The scarf is key because it keeps the warm air in your jacket from escaping through the collar.

I don't know if the car coat (pretty broad term) is so much stereotypical law student as it is stereotypical yuppie (which is how most law and MBA students dress).

If you're new to the north, don't worry about getting the perfect jacket, because there's no such thing. Just get one that you like, knowing that you'll probably accumulate several.

One tip: if you like to go to bars, it's not a bad idea to get an extra, cheap (Target?), waist-length, wool coat. People pick up the wrong coat sometimes, so I'd never bring a cashmere top coat to a crowded place where I'd have to take it off. Also, if it's waist-length, then it's easier to sit around a table still wearing the coat, without looking like you've refused to settle in.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 pm

jrs12 wrote:Hat, gloves, and scarf will keep you warm with even thin jackets. The scarf is key because it keeps the warm air in your jacket from escaping through the collar.

I don't know if the car coat (pretty broad term) is so much stereotypical law student as it is stereotypical yuppie (which is how most law and MBA students dress).

If you're new to the north, don't worry about getting the perfect jacket, because there's no such thing. Just get one that you like, knowing that you'll probably accumulate several.

One tip: if you like to go to bars, it's not a bad idea to get an extra, cheap (Target?), waist-length, wool coat. People pick up the wrong coat sometimes, so I'd never bring a cashmere top coat to a crowded place where I'd have to take it off. Also, if it's waist-length, then it's easier to sit around a table still wearing the coat, without looking like you've refused to settle in.
I love how this thread is quickly coming to be the winter fashion and living thread...

Oh wintry New England... :)

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Anyone have any tips for apartment hunting in the area (besides the obvious of Craigslist)? Any recommended brokers, buildings, etc?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:Anyone have any tips for apartment hunting in the area (besides the obvious of Craigslist)? Any recommended brokers, buildings, etc?
I got a place right across the street (1600 mass ave). It's a building of condos, so there is a chance another may come available. Found mine on craigslist but they pop up randomly everywhere. Also check hotpads.com

Also, confirmed: You can get immunization records sent from UG to HLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”