Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pinkflamingo

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by pinkflamingo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 am

Objection wrote:Anyone know which ASW they're going to?
At this point, I'm thinking the March ASW. Mostly because I don't want to have to wait until April. I didn't realize though that St. Patrick's day was the following day...I think I might extend my stay in Boston as well.
zabagabe wrote:Ok, I'm seriously impressed. They matched me with someone from my undergrad with similar interests (although it's really weird because she's two years younger than I am so the idea of her being "above" me at Harvard seems just plain WRONG!)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really surprised that they could, and would actually bother to, find someone eerily similar to me!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 am

I still haven't gotten this elusive "student email"... Probably busy studying for finals, yeah?
SparkyLives wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:
Krswmact wrote:Harvard is doing an extremely good job convincing me to go there regardless of whatever other options may come up. I don't know if it is just me, but the binder, emails etc. are really pulling me in.
Definitely. "Yale isn't THAT great..." has gone into my mind a couple of times. Not that I have that choice! Stanford sounds great, but their website isn't nearly as nice as Harvard's. Hopefully their admissions materials (if I'm lucky enough to get in) will be better.
Those are some of the exact thoughts I had last year: This binder has SO much information! T-Stock knows SO much about me and my interests! My own e-mail address?? Sweet! They'll do well at the open house, too - last year, we got pretty awesome HLS messenger bags. (Truth: more than a couple current YLS 1Ls use the HLS messenger bags around here...)

Still, there's something about the experience of actually being on campus, talking to current students, and just getting a feel for where you'll fit in best...if I made my decisions based on who showed me the most love in mailings/emails, I certainly wouldn't be here in New Haven. But the sense of community that "gels" with you & makes you feel at home is, to me at least, way more convincing than a couple e-mails and some glossy photos. (Also, Yale gave us t-shirts. And sent us coffee mugs w/ handwritten notes. :-) )
you severely underestimate how shallow I am :wink:
I agree. People severely underestimate how much I like free stuff... ;)

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 am

March 14-16
April 16-18

I'll probably do the March 14-16 one and stay in Boston for St. Patrick's day (3/17).
I'm headed to the March 14-16 ASW, but I don't think we're staying for St. Paddy's day.

FWIW, there are rooms available at the Doubletree Guest Suites (http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/ ... s/index.do) for $119/night, $99 if you prepay. Not bad for such a nice place near Cambridge.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:18 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:

March 14-16
April 16-18

I'll probably do the March 14-16 one and stay in Boston for St. Patrick's day (3/17).
I'm headed to the March 14-16 ASW, but I don't think we're staying for St. Paddy's day.

FWIW, there are rooms available at the Doubletree Guest Suites (http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/ ... s/index.do) for $119/night, $99 if you prepay. Not bad for such a nice place near Cambridge.
Nice hotel--you have good taste ndn!

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 pm

I really want to go to the March ASW and get there a little earlier (it is at the end of my spring break). I just sent an email to find out what will be on the Monday though because I have an evening class that I can't miss.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 pm

pinkflamingo wrote:
At this point, I'm thinking the March ASW. Mostly because I don't want to have to wait until April. I didn't realize though that St. Patrick's day was the following day...I think I might extend my stay in Boston as well.
zabagabe wrote:Ok, I'm seriously impressed. They matched me with someone from my undergrad with similar interests (although it's really weird because she's two years younger than I am so the idea of her being "above" me at Harvard seems just plain WRONG!)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was really surprised that they could, and would actually bother to, find someone eerily similar to me!
Hmm...my student is nothing like me. Not even the same gender!

However, they're nice so it doesn't matter.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm

SparkyLives wrote:
Hmm...my student is nothing like me. Not even the same gender!

However, they're nice so it doesn't matter.
Perhaps you're so special & unique that no one can compare? :D

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Krswmact wrote:I really want to go to the March ASW and get there a little earlier (it is at the end of my spring break). I just sent an email to find out what will be on the Monday though because I have an evening class that I can't miss.
I'm leaning March as well, in part because my thesis is due end of April and I'll be coming from Overseas so it's a bit of a schlep. Also, I've heard March in Boston can still be terrible and I want a more representative feel. Getting there 2 weeks before finals means you only see the best of the weather. ;)

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:41 pm

iagolives wrote: Nice hotel--you have good taste ndn!
Meh. It's seriously the cheapest thing that's not A) in Quincy or B) a dump.

But yeah, I'm hanging on to my professional taste as long as I have a professional salary. Nine months and counting!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Does everyone's actual admissions letter (included in the package with the binder) have a handwritten note? Mine is kind of funny: "XXX Center will be looking for you!" A little stalkerish :D

I'm hoping to be able to get a pdf copy of the binder... I want to read all about Harvard also!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 pm

Haribo wrote:Does everyone's actual admissions letter (included in the package with the binder) have a handwritten note? Mine is kind of funny: "XXX Center will be looking for you!" A little stalkerish :D

I'm hoping to be able to get a pdf copy of the binder... I want to read all about Harvard also!
Mine mentions something from my TS1...pretty impressive.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Mine mentions something from my TS1 as well.

Can't wait to get home and hold the binder. And sleep with it.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Objection wrote:Can't wait to get home and hold the binder. And sleep with it.
LOL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 pm

I want my binder! I didn't get accepted until after Thanksgiving, so I am not sure when it will come...

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:12 pm

my friend who was accepted monday says that her status says the binder has already been sent. so maybe you will get it soon?

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:57 am

Like many people here (I'm guessing) I got in over Thanksgiving break, but I just picked up my enormous and ridiculously heavy binder from the post office on Friday.

I've already been chatting it up with my pen-pal and looking at housing information. And I watched The Paper Chase for the first time tonight, instead of studying for finals. I sincerely hope that HLS isn't too much like that. My pen-pal has assured me that there is a great deal of partying and drunkenness in addition to there being a lot of work preparing for classes.

Just out of curiosity, what are most people thinking of doing as far as housing goes? Getting an apartment would obviously be nicer, but I feel like as a 1L you want to be around lots of people in a dorm. Or maybe that's just me.

Congrats to everyone else here!
Last edited by excelsiorcaelo on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsplz

New

Post by lsplz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:06 am

I know a few people from the two classes above us, all of whom lived in the dorms 1L year and none of whom regret it. They all agree that they're small, but you get to know people a lot faster, and it's a great way to meet people outside of your section. Plus, it's easier for them to talk about assignments or reading when they're confused. At this point, assuming I don't get into Yale I'll be planning on living in dorms.

Also, it helps that I'm right out of UG, but I've met a fair number of older students in the dorms too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:13 am

Would you go to Yale? I hadn't bothered writing the 250 by the time I got into Harvard, and I'm seriously considering not applying at all. I ask myself whether I would go to Yale over Harvard if I got in, and I come up with an emphatic "meh!"

Of course, I'm probably more than a little disenchanted with New Haven after 3 and a half years at Yale already. Your mileage may vary.

Do you know anything about HLS's housing application/lottery system? Particularly in the Gropius Complex, where my pen-pal lives and which seems like a great place for being social, there is a lot of variability in the quality of the rooms. I would definitely want the Type 6, but there are only 4 of those available in the whole complex of 260-odd rooms!
Last edited by excelsiorcaelo on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsplz

New

Post by lsplz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:17 am

I'm PM ing you so as not to identify myself too much. Check your messages in a minute!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:20 am

Is there something bad about identifying yourself here? Should I be worried? Should I delete information from my profile? Should I stop signing my name to posts? :P

lsplz

New

Post by lsplz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:28 am

Haha nah not at all, I just like to maintain some vague degree of anonymity, but don't have a good reason for it! Some people who post nasty comments or whatever don't want law schools to be able to identify them, but I don't especially plan on doing that, and as a Yale man I assume you don't either :-). Especially now that you've got an HLS acceptance in hand! But all the same I PMed you

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am

If I attend, I'll definitely be signing up for the dorms. Not that I particularly love dorms, but I think, for me at least, it will be a good way to meet people. It also helps that I'll be straight out of UG and not married.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah, I've considered dorms too because, with all the work of law school, I do want to make sure I meet lots of people, especially outside of my section. However, 1.5 years of living in one's own house/apartment makes the prospect of dealing with the whole "dorm thing" less appealing. Part of going to law school is I want to FEEL like a mature adult which, I would imagine, is hard to do in a dorm setting.

But.... we'll see.

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah, I've been out of the dorms for almost three years now, so I imagine it will take some adjusting.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Any of you been looking at housing?

I'll almost definitely be living on campus. I'd like one of the on-campus apartments (1637 Mass, Baker, or Mellen), but since they have extremely limited availability, I'm more realistically hoping for Hastings. I don't think I can do the pure dorm style of Gropius again after 3 years with my own bedroom and a living room.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”