Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tinman

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by tinman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 am

AZJenna wrote:
I'm already in town and living just a few doors down from the Scholar. It's a pretty good bar. We're in a very good location, just a few minutes walk from Inman Square (some cooler bars) and Union Square (less college-y). Also less than 10 minutes away is R.F. O'Sullivans: Best Burgers in Boston. I think you'll find the walk to campus a little longer than 5 minutes though, I clock it at more like 12, but it's a very fast bike ride.
PM me if you want to get together sometime, I'll be around!
Very nice! I got my apartment without seeing it (sent my mom and sister...they rock). So I suppose they were exaggerating about the proximity :) No big deal...maybe I'll get a bike!

Also, I was thinking about that section “glitch” this week...I was originally going to be a class of 2011-er, but then deferred, and the same “glitch” about people getting their schedules happened last year. Hmm...
Yes, the Thirty Scholar is more like a 12 minute walk from campus. Dali (Tapas restaurant at the corner of Kirkland and Beacon) is pretty awesome for food or for sangria. The Wine and Cheese Cask, which is at the same corner, is also pretty sweet for ... well ... wine and cheese. A lot of graduate students live around there. Union Square is a bit sketch but Inman Square is super hip. Man, I'm already starting to miss Cambridge/Harvard. I didn't think I would. You guys are going to have a great few years.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:04 am

tinman wrote:
AZJenna wrote:
I'm already in town and living just a few doors down from the Scholar. It's a pretty good bar. We're in a very good location, just a few minutes walk from Inman Square (some cooler bars) and Union Square (less college-y). Also less than 10 minutes away is R.F. O'Sullivans: Best Burgers in Boston. I think you'll find the walk to campus a little longer than 5 minutes though, I clock it at more like 12, but it's a very fast bike ride.
Very nice! I got my apartment without seeing it (sent my mom and sister...they rock). So I suppose they were exaggerating about the proximity :) No big deal...maybe I'll get a bike!

Also, I was thinking about that section “glitch” this week...I was originally going to be a class of 2011-er, but then deferred, and the same “glitch” about people getting their schedules happened last year. Hmm...
Yes, the Thirty Scholar is more like a 12 minute walk from campus. Dali (Tapas restaurant at the corner of Kirkland and Beacon) is pretty awesome for food or for sangria. The Wine and Cheese Cask, which is at the same corner, is also pretty sweet for ... well ... wine and cheese. A lot of graduate students live around there. Union Square is a bit sketch but Inman Square is super hip. Man, I'm already starting to miss Cambridge/Harvard. I didn't think I would. You guys are going to have a great few years.
Thanks for the tip on the Sangria man. I'll have to make sure to drag some of my section out there every once in a blue moon.

And about Cambridge, yeah, I'm very excited to be living there for the next three years. However, I wouldn't sell yourself short. I mean, as the 203 Blog DRILLED INTO MY HEAD over the span of last year, there are awesome restaurants and places to eat all over New Haven.

Right?

Right?

You better think very carefully about testing the party line in the future, son. ;)

(Sorry for the rather bizarre nature of that post, btw. Its a mixture of my stir-craziness, me wishing I was near NY so I could have gone to the fancy shindig and my bitter memories of frustration about that blog's food obsession.)

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 am

iagolives wrote:
tinman wrote:
AZJenna wrote:

Thanks for the tip on the Sangria man. I'll have to make sure to drag some of my section out there every once in a blue moon.

And about Cambridge, yeah, I'm very excited to be living there for the next three years. However, I wouldn't sell yourself short. I mean, as the 203 Blog DRILLED INTO MY HEAD over the span of last year, there are awesome restaurants and places to eat all over New Haven.

Right?

Right?

You better think very carefully about testing the party line in the future, son. ;)

(Sorry for the rather bizarre nature of that post, btw. Its a mixture of my stir-craziness, me wishing I was near NY so I could have gone to the fancy shindig and my bitter memories of frustration about that blog's food obsession.)
Yes, I remember that post about burgers that had people pretty frustrated. Personally, I'll take tapas and sangria over burgers any day of the week. But I have hope for New Haven, and I plan to spend a lot of time in NYC next year.

If you want to take your small groups somewhere, I would recommend Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square. It was one of my favorite places even before they opened the beer garden last year. Though now that I think about it, the inside of Charlie's might be a bit too seedy for law students, but the outside beer garden is trendy. I always order the double lobster roll and beer fries. The food is super cheap, and they also have great beers on tap. The kitchen also stays open late.

And I bet a lot of you have already been to Cambridge Common on Mass Ave just a few blocks north of the law school. They always have seating inside (one of the only bars where you can count on getting a table for your group) and many beers on tap, although the food really went downhill in the last few years.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 am

So my mom just told me that when one of her cousins did our family history they found out that our family used to have a farm on the land where Harvard is. Too bad I can't get some of tuition discount for that. Anyone who can discover a way for me to reclaim the land for my family will receive a nice cut of the court settlement :)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:33 am

New Haven actually as an astonishing number of good restaurants given the nature of the city. Yale is pretty much to thank for that. Additionally, for the most part, they're concentrated along one street (Chapel).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bustedup

New

Post by bustedup » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 am

tinman wrote:
AZJenna wrote:

Haha. Those of us who frequent Union Square haunts work hard to maintain the "sketch" image so the "super hip" kids from Inman Square stay away :)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:39 am

laurathenerd wrote:So my mom just told me that when one of her cousins did our family history they found out that our family used to have a farm on the land where Harvard is. Too bad I can't get some of tuition discount for that. Anyone who can discover a way for me to reclaim the land for my family will receive a nice cut of the court settlement :)
I'll give you a shiny new nickel if you wrote HLS a letter saying that you demand a tuition discount in repayment for your family's lost farm. I think it would get quite the attention in the Dean's office. ;)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:03 am

Last night's HLSA event was fun.

It's always good bonding with Zefron.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

Objection wrote:Last night's HLSA event was fun.

Next time a random group of people in a bar thinks I'm Zac Efron, I'm seriously going to sign autographs. I don't even care about the potential fallout.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:04 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:

Next time a random group of people in a bar thinks I'm Zac Efron, I'm seriously going to sign autographs. I don't even care about the potential fallout.
Did that happen? I missed that :lol:

As Marie said, you do it to yourself...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:11 pm

Objection wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:

Did that happen? I missed that :lol:

As Marie said, you do it to yourself...
No, he did it to me, that selfish bastard. I had this hair for over a year before anyone started commenting on it.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Anyone else still waiting on confirmation of the receipt of immunization forms? I sent those in at the beginning of the month or something.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:42 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Anyone else still waiting on confirmation of the receipt of immunization forms? I sent those in at the beginning of the month or something.
Yeah, they seem to be rather bipolar over there; they are either REALLY QUICK to get back to you or they take forever. There's no middle ground. I wouldn't worry too much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:24 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Anyone else still waiting on confirmation of the receipt of immunization forms? I sent those in at the beginning of the month or something.
Did you send them via mail or fax? I sent mine via fax around July 12 or so and have received confirmation already.

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:
Did you send them via mail or fax? I sent mine via fax around July 12 or so and have received confirmation already.
I faxed mine on the day there were due and just got confirmation of receipt today! What is the deal with the winter term? The academic calendar is a bit depressing.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:20 pm

prelaw wrote:
mightyaphrodite wrote:
I faxed mine on the day there were due and just got confirmation of receipt today! What is the deal with the winter term? The academic calendar is a bit depressing.
Yeah, we will have NO break time for the next few years. The past few years, I've had basically a month off in the winter. This will be rough...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:55 am

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Mini class instead of vacation? WTF?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 am

Eh, 12/19-1/3 isn't terrible.

Also, I received confirmation about my immunization records, but not the other two forms...

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:23 am

Well coupled with the lack of any real Thanksgiving break, I think it is kind of terrible. Maybe I'm just in undergrad long break mode...

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Objection wrote:Eh, 12/19-1/3 isn't terrible.

Also, I received confirmation about my immunization records, but not the other two forms...
Oh, that's halfway decent. Only a few days shorter than my usual winter breaks.

I am used to a week-long Thanksgiving break though. We didn't get a "Fall break" like some schools, though. I understand that many schools have a long weekend then and another long weekend for Thanksgiving. Instead we just get a week off for the latter.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:12 pm

At least we don't have finals anymore after [strike]Christmas[/strike] (sorry, this is going to be the first non-sectarian school I've ever gone to) Winter Break. If I had that looming over my head during the holidays, I would weep and probably steal some kid's candy cane, just out of malice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 pm

HLS decreased the max amount of our computer reimbursement from $3,000 to $2,000.

Awesome! Good way to save money. Lord knows how cash-strapped HLS is :roll:

Edit: Actually, they're not saving money. The computer reimbursement is a loan, not a grant. They simply increase our budget by that amount and allow us to take out an additional loan. So, WTF would they decrease our allowance for?

Keep in mind that this $2,000 is meant to cover:

APPROVED ACCESSORIES
Monitors (Note: You may purchase a monitor with both desktops and laptops.)
Printers
Ink Cartridges
Basic Computing Software i.e. Microsoft Office/Windows, MAC OS, Firewalls, Antivirus (Note: For specific software inquiries, please contact Student Financial Services. If you purchase software that is not specifically listed here without prior written approval from Student Financial Services, inclusion of that software in your approved computer loan amount will be at the discretion of the office.)
Computer Speakers
Keyboard/Mouse
Carrying Cases
Extra Memory/Wireless/Video/Sound Cards
External Hard Drives or CD/DVD Drives
Palm Pilots/PDAs/Handhelds
Routers/Modems
USB/Firewire Hubs/Cables/Adapters
Batteries
Notebook Computer Docks
Notebook Computer Locks
Warranty (Note: Since students are approved for one computer loan throughout his/her entire enrollment at HLS, we recommend purchasing extended warranties whenever possible.)

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Reimbursement makes it sound like they give us cash money... do you mean loan?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:33 pm

treple wrote:Reimbursement makes it sound like they give us cash money... do you mean loan?
See my edit.
Edit: Actually, they're not saving money. The computer reimbursement is a loan, not a grant. They simply increase our budget by that amount and allow us to take out an additional loan. So, WTF would they decrease our allowance for?
Also, reimbursement is their term, not mine.

And proof it used to be $3,000, lest anyone think I'm crazy...

http://web.archive.org/web/200712241102 ... mputer.php

AZJenna

New

Post by AZJenna » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:46 pm

I want to take advantage of this loan, but $2000 is still a lot to front until September, given that my last paycheck was in May (teaching = big paycheck at the beginning of summer that has to last 2 months).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”