Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by iagolives » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:12 pm

sluggo wrote:btw, i'm reading getting to maybe and getting very excited for school to start. anyone else read(ing) it yet? it could be fun to talk about some of the hypotheticals before our creative, uninhibited minds become corrupted by law school.
Yeah, I am similar. I bought it and got about 1/2 of the way through and then realized that it was making me feel dumb so I stopped. I hope it was over my head because I'm not yet in law school rather than me actually being not that clever and not cut out for law school. ;)

The hypos were interesting though, I agree.

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm

sluggo wrote:hey you!

i'm stoked to see you here! i'm going to PM you now.
Even more exciting, you're going to see me in the fall :) Our mutual friend and I will be in the same city, which means we'll be moving coasts together to still basically ignore each other completely. I think it's a solid plan.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:30 am

iagolives wrote:
sluggo wrote:btw, i'm reading getting to maybe and getting very excited for school to start. anyone else read(ing) it yet? it could be fun to talk about some of the hypotheticals before our creative, uninhibited minds become corrupted by law school.
Yeah, I am similar. I bought it and got about 1/2 of the way through and then realized that it was making me feel dumb so I stopped. I hope it was over my head because I'm not yet in law school rather than me actually being not that clever and not cut out for law school. ;)

I thought it was extremely intelligible, actually.

The only exception is the sample exam part at the end. I read a couple of those before realizing that I wasn't getting anything out of them, simply because I wasn't familiar with the law. But the strategy behind crafting law exam answers seemed straightforward enough--if anything based completely on ambiguity and doublespeak can be considered straightforward. :)

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

The only exception is the sample exam part at the end. I read a couple of those before realizing that I wasn't getting anything out of them, simply because I wasn't familiar with the law. But the strategy behind crafting law exam answers seemed straightforward enough--if anything based completely on ambiguity and doublespeak can be considered straightforward. :)
Well, great. Now I feel dumb, thanks. Why don't we give you all H's now and save you the three years of loans and tuition? :lol:

EDIT: I read this post over again, and it sounded harsher/more snarky than I intended it. My apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRXzkRis-s
Last edited by iagolives on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:23 am

Also, my ego and pride (or what little is left after over a year of TLS... but that's another thread for another time) needs me to clarify. I got what they were going for in each chapter, "Forks in the law", etc, but it was more the examples as in, "in your class, you learned X..." or "this is an obvious example of Y" I found were so maddening that I got fed up b/c it irritated mw throughout the chapter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:29 am

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

Well, great. Now I feel dumb, thanks. Why don't we give you all H's now and save you the three years of loans and tuition? :lol:
:oops:

I don't know what to say, though. It just didn't seem that difficult, and I don't think I'm the only 0L who thinks so, at HLS or otherwise. Sure, when the authors write something like, "As you probably know from your X class, law Y has Z to say in this situation," I don't know what the hell they're talking about, but the rest of it pretty much just tells you flat out how to think about structuring your answers. Maybe it's a personal thought process thing--or maybe I'm missing something deep by assuming that it's simple.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:33 am

lol, you quoted me before the edit. Now I will be immortalized as a jerk. :(

And again, that was harsher than I meant it. Sorry about that--I shouldn't post this late at night.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 am

My tuition bill is officially paid.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 am

I think mine is... :? I hate this money stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:35 am

Is the -$ the amount we will be given for living expenses?

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am

ok, this may be a stupid question, but if anticipated credits > charges, do I need to do anything (or is the bill paid already)?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

yagrish wrote:ok, this may be a stupid question, but if anticipated credits > charges, do I need to do anything (or is the bill paid already)?
I think its paid already. The number owed should be $0. Or so I've been struggling to deduce.

I actually don't know; you shouldn't listen to me, lol.

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:12 pm

iagolives wrote:
yagrish wrote:ok, this may be a stupid question, but if anticipated credits > charges, do I need to do anything (or is the bill paid already)?
I think its paid already. The number owed should be $0. Or so I've been struggling to deduce.

I actually don't know; you shouldn't listen to me, lol.
This is correct.

The bill should say $0 for amount owed and the negative balance is the amount you will be receiving as living expenses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Go_Cardinals

New

Post by Go_Cardinals » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Anyone else still looking for a place? Or am I just way behind the curve?

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Go_Cardinals wrote:Anyone else still looking for a place? Or am I just way behind the curve?
me! Riding the waitlist :( - starting to fear that I won't get a spot on-campus.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm still looking, too. Yagrish, how did you get on the housing waitlist if you don't mind me asking?

When I was admitted (on Monday, so recently), I asked Karen Buttenbaum about on-campus housing, and she said she thought it was going to be full. I've been craigslisting like mad, but the studios are pretty expensive. I've found a couple furnished two-bedrooms, but I don't have anyone to go in on w/ it, so I've been talking with a couple of people offering apt shares. So far nothing has worked out.

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:40 pm

jpaul09 wrote:I'm still looking, too. Yagrish, how did you get on the housing waitlist if you don't mind me asking?

When I was admitted (on Monday, so recently), I asked Karen Buttenbaum about on-campus housing, and she said she thought it was going to be full. I've been craigslisting like mad, but the studios are pretty expensive. I've found a couple furnished two-bedrooms, but I don't have anyone to go in on w/ it, so I've been talking with a couple of people offering apt shares. So far nothing has worked out.
I filled out a housing application right after I got in (so, last week of May) and received notification that I was placed on the waitlist (b/c the app deadline is in the end of April, I believe). The person I talked to said that they've been able to place the entire waitlist crowd in the last two years, but that he cannot make any promises this year :(.

Although they are pretty close to running out of HLS housing, there's a bunch of Harvard-owned/affiliated housing: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... index.html. Although I haven't looked at it yet, my understanding is that you can view available apartments right away. There's also a roommate-finding-center (?) at --LinkRemoved-- you might want to try.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Yep, I've been on both of those! But I haven't been able to view available apts because I don't have a pin yet. How long did it take for you to get one?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Objection wrote:Is the -$ the amount we will be given for living expenses?

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:53 pm

It took forever to get HUID, but I applied and got the pin in a matter of minutes after I got HUID

yagrish

New

Post by yagrish » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Objection wrote:
Objection wrote:Is the -$ the amount we will be given for living expenses?
I think that's the amount that you'll be given as cash advance:

"If your anticipated financial aid credits exceed the total of your e-bill charges, you will be eligible for a fall cash advance check that can be used for living expenses. Eligible students will receive their cash advance checks after fall registration. Students who are eligible for a cash advance check should budget those funds for living expenses for the entire fall semester. Spring cash advance checks will be mailed to local addresses in late December (if anticipated financial aid credits are greater than e-bill charges). For more information see the Cash Disbursements section."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Go_Cardinals wrote:Anyone else still looking for a place? Or am I just way behind the curve?
No worries, I'm still looking too. Apartment hunting from cross-country is effing daunting.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 pm

mightyaphrodite wrote:
No worries, I'm still looking too. Apartment hunting from cross-country is effing daunting.

I feel your pain. It doesn't help that one of the women I talked to today was like, um, honey, you had better get going quickly.

So yeah, if any of you stumble across an apt share for a girl (me), please pass the word along!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Oooh it is SO stressful ,we got a tiny apt and I can only hope it looks as decent as the pics =/
So is anyone else in Belmont?

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm trying to get my SO to get his act together so we can fly out to Boston in the next couple of weeks to look at apartments. It's going to be intense, I'm sure.
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Oooh it is SO stressful ,we got a tiny apt and I can only hope it looks as decent as the pics =/
So is anyone else in Belmont?
You are much braver than I :D
jpaul09 wrote: I feel your pain. It doesn't help that one of the women I talked to today was like, um, honey, you had better get going quickly.

So yeah, if any of you stumble across an apt share for a girl (me), please pass the word along!
Have you checked in the HLS FB group to see if there's anyone looking?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”