Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
iagolives

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by iagolives » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:53 pm

sluggo wrote:sweeeeeeet :D

I was hoping for this, but didn't want to bank on it and become psychologically distraught when it didn't pan out. Thanks!
Anytime!

I feel so left out and isolated not being in MA yet... *cries*

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:18 am

Don't worry Iago. I'm not there yet either and I feel your pain. Still trapped here in miserable Southern California having to endure these 78 degree days with this incessant sunshine. It'll all be over soon. 8)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 am

Sluggo - you in Cambridge? We need to get together!

svrs

New

Post by svrs » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Does anyone know the status of our health insurance cards (or has anyone else gotten one)? I received the prescription card but nothing else to the point.

I feel strange canceling my current insurance without having anything in hand for the new insurance.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Have people received any of these fabled first day of class assignments yet?

Also, does it seem to be the case that not every section has orientation assignments? Because I sure didn't see any for 7.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Im section 7 and I dont see one for us.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:09 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Have people received any of these fabled first day of class assignments yet?

Also, does it seem to be the case that not every section has orientation assignments? Because I sure didn't see any for 7.
I would think that, if one section has orientation assignments, they all would. However, it might be that you guys really lucked out, in which case, I (enviously) congratulate you!

Also, if a section has an orientation assignment, I would hope they wouldn't ALSO load the first day of class assignment on them, at least until orientation has started. However, what do I know?

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Obj,

Not yet. I get in on the 20th and probably have to dedicate that day to setting up shop, but I'll definitely see you at your party (if it's still on), or maybe earlier.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:34 am

I probably just missed the boat on this but was there a consensus on when/where to buy our books. Is there a certain online site that's definitely a better deal than on campus at Harvard? Also, have any of you guys been advised to avoid used books? I'm not sure if that would be a bad time to be frugal or not. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:50 am

are hornbooks worth it as supps?

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 am

sluggo wrote:are hornbooks worth it as supps?
If you're a gunner, yes.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am

Supposedly, hornbooks play a different role than supps.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:44 am

Don't listen to excelsior. (Sorry bud, but I got to disagree with you on this one! :)) I think they are useful if you want to put the time in to get some context on different aspects of the law. I'd recommend getting some of the softbound treatises (they seem more manageable) and, if you REALLY get into it, move to the big, hardbound hornbooks which they suredly have in the library. PM me if you want to discuss more!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 am

Sooo on an unrelated note, is anyone else going to Friday's EIP preparation program? It looks really interesting!

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 am

I just found out Amazon won't accept the XXXX HLS Residential Mail Center address. :x

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:40 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:Sooo on an unrelated note, is anyone else going to Friday's EIP preparation program? It looks really interesting!
What's that? Link? Details?

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 am

Objection wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:Sooo on an unrelated note, is anyone else going to Friday's EIP preparation program? It looks really interesting!
What's that? Link? Details?
from the event calendar

When Friday, August 21, 2009, 1 – 5pm
Where Ames Courtroom
Event type Career Events
Sponsor Office of Career Services
Intended Audience Students
Note

The EIP Preparation program will feature a frank discussion about the economy, an interviewing panel with hiring partners from major law firms as well as a program on the Top Ten Tricky Questions you may encounter in an interview. The afternoon will conclude with a Town Hall style meeting where you can ask questions of particular concern to you.

OCS Advisors will be available all day to answer any last minute questions you have as you head into this very important interviewing week. Snacks will be provided.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 am

I thought that was more for the people involved in the OCI program going on right before our orientation?

(Not that it matters b/c I won't be in town yet... :x lousy dorm move-in schedule!)

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:09 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:I just found out Amazon won't accept the XXXX HLS Residential Mail Center address. :x

Click it again. It will go through.

Also, you should put the street address underneath it in the second line.

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
crazy_zoologist wrote:I just found out Amazon won't accept the XXXX HLS Residential Mail Center address. :x

Click it again. It will go through.

Also, you should put the street address underneath it in the second line.
It worked! All I had to do is to click the button again.

Thanks Efron! :P

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:41 pm

sluggo wrote:I probably just missed the boat on this but was there a consensus on when/where to buy our books. Is there a certain online site that's definitely a better deal than on campus at Harvard? Also, have any of you guys been advised to avoid used books? I'm not sure if that would be a bad time to be frugal or not. Thanks.
I got most of mine from Amazon. But I found later that Barnes and Noble is doing an online deal where you get the member's price on textbooks (about $20 or $25 off) and get free three-day shipping. Don't know if the price is better than Amazon, but the free expedited shipping is a nice deal.

As for new/used books, I went with new ones because I figured having someone else's highlighting/margin notes would be distracting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I was thinking of mostly sitting quietly in the back and listening. I've been keeping up on ATL and I think it'll be interesting to hear it how bad it really is (at least for Harvard students if it makes a difference) from the horse's mouth.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:I was thinking of mostly sitting quietly in the back and listening. I've been keeping up on ATL and I think it'll be interesting to hear it how bad it really is (at least for Harvard students if it makes a difference) from the horse's mouth.
Where can I find details about this? I haven't heard of it :(

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Objection wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:I was thinking of mostly sitting quietly in the back and listening. I've been keeping up on ATL and I think it'll be interesting to hear it how bad it really is (at least for Harvard students if it makes a difference) from the horse's mouth.
Where can I find details about this? I haven't heard of it :(
It's the second link under "Announcements." You will need your email login and password to enter.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

Also, (because I had no idea what an EIP was until I dug a bit): --LinkRemoved--

Frenchie, do you think they will let us go, especially since they are such sticklers about us not interviewing until December? I would think, since this is the first time they've done this, they would want to limit it to the "need to knows," especially given the fiasco that was their hiring cycle last year.

However, if you do go, an executive summary would be appreciated! ;)

cameltaur

New

Post by cameltaur » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:13 pm

For those of you already moved into apartments- where did you buy furniture? I'm moving in on monday and want to have everything totally done by friday, so I need a good hitlist of places to go. If anyone has any ideas/good experiences to share that would be great.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”