Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Objection

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by Objection » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Hm...looking at the HLS computer reimbursement page...

Approved Accessories: Palm Pilots/PDAs/Handhelds

Ineligible: iPods/mp3 Players

Under which category does the iphone fall? I think a strong argument can be made for the former...

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Objection wrote:
treple wrote:I stopped wearing my HLS hoodie. I was getting called pretentious for wearing it... luckily I have a green Boston hoodie that I wear religiously... or was... stupid 80 degree weather... /sigh
Yeah, I wear my HLS jacket occasionally, but you can only read that it says "Harvard Law School" if you really try or if I have it zipped. I wear my HLS t-shirt to work out.
I wear my SLS t-shirt for working out! Gonna probably have to ditch that before I get to harvard...

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Mailing my deposit tomorrow. eek. glad this process is over.

do they email you to confirm when they get it?

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes they do -- to your Harvard e-mail.

Krswmact

New

Post by Krswmact » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:50 pm

mallard wrote:
Objection wrote:
mallard wrote:I've been being a little cocky and wearing my (not a week old) HLS sweatshirt around my neighborhood. It is not a great neighborhood (I live across the street from a set of projects which, though nonthreatening for projects, has its share of shady characters). Anyway, just as I left my house yesterday a man wearing a Yankees jacket and standing sort of between my house and the house next door but forward a bit so as to be on the street and not the stairs said to me, "Excuse me, sir! You went to Harvard Law School?" I said, "Oh, no, ha ha [awkwardly], I'm going in the fall!" with the sort of chipper brightness I haven't genuinely felt since maybe twelve years of age. He said, "Oh. Good luck" (these last two words very enunciated) and I went on my way.

Now I'm curious what he was going to say if I had graduated.
Ha! It's great, right?

I was in Barnes & Noble and was talking to one of the store helper people. I had a couple law related books in my hand (A Civil Action and Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges). She was making small talk and asked what I do (student), what I want to do after grad (law school), where (Harvard). When i said Harvard, these two random people who must have been eavesdropping were like "WOW! That's awesome! Can you imagine getting that acceptance? That's great! Congratulations! Good luck!"

I had a seriously puzzled look on my face since I didn't know we had an audience, but after my puzzlement faded, I felt like a champ.
This guy was a little aggressive. I felt bad, like I had been a bit too cocky.

For the most part I hate when this happens. I go as long as possible to not say that I'll be at HLS in the fall b/c people have weird reactions. However, the other night I was at a dinner with Howard Dean and Bob Graham for a program Im in. Of course discussions about post graduation came up. When I finally admitted I was on my way to HLS, they both flipped out like people tend to. That was the time it was actually pretty cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Krswmact wrote:For the most part I hate when this happens. I go as long as possible to not say that I'll be at HLS in the fall b/c people have weird reactions. However, the other night I was at a dinner with Howard Dean and Bob Graham for a program Im in. Of course discussions about post graduation came up. When I finally admitted I was on my way to HLS, they both flipped out like people tend to. That was the time it was actually pretty cool.
That's really awesome! I was wearing it in case there were pretty girls who might be impressed at the coffeeshop where I was headed.

joschmo

New

Post by joschmo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:45 pm

mallard wrote:
Krswmact wrote:For the most part I hate when this happens. I go as long as possible to not say that I'll be at HLS in the fall b/c people have weird reactions. However, the other night I was at a dinner with Howard Dean and Bob Graham for a program Im in. Of course discussions about post graduation came up. When I finally admitted I was on my way to HLS, they both flipped out like people tend to. That was the time it was actually pretty cool.
That's really awesome! I was wearing it in case there were pretty girls who might be impressed at the coffeeshop where I was headed.
I have had very limited success using this on chicks. Even when someone else brings it up.

I feel like I'd be better off just buying a motorcycle.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HAZMAT

New

Post by HAZMAT » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 am

joshikousei wrote:sadly, the H-bomb doesn't work THAT well.
You are sadly mistaken :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:49 am

I really would like to hope this entire conversation is a parody, but somehow, sadly, I think it's not.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

:lol:

But yeah....

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 am

zabagabe wrote:I really would like to hope this entire conversation is a parody, but somehow, sadly, I think it's not.
:roll:

HAZMAT

New

Post by HAZMAT » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 am

zabagabe wrote:I really would like to hope this entire conversation is a parody, but somehow, sadly, I think it's not.

It's sad that you think that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:30 am

Objection wrote:
treple wrote:I stopped wearing my HLS hoodie. I was getting called pretentious for wearing it... luckily I have a green Boston hoodie that I wear religiously... or was... stupid 80 degree weather... /sigh
Yeah, I wear my HLS jacket occasionally, but you can only read that it says "Harvard Law School" if you really try or if I have it zipped. I wear my HLS t-shirt to work out.
Lol, where on earth did you get all of this HLS apparel, Objection?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:31 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't hate on Zab. He's right.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:33 am

treple wrote:
Objection wrote:
I wear my SLS t-shirt for working out! Gonna probably have to ditch that before I get to harvard...
BTW, like the new tar, treple. Granted, now I can add "light-sabring squirrels" to the list of things I fear in my nightmares at night, but hell, its fun nonetheless.

HAZMAT

New

Post by HAZMAT » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:38 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:

Who's hating on Zab :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:39 am

HAZMAT wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
FrenchiePatootie wrote:

Who's hating on Zab :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Who gave Zab an eye-roll? :lol:

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:01 pm

On another note, here's an interesting blog post about considering how to recognize HLS' debt to the slaves who contributed to its establishment. I'm sure many other old northeastern (and southern) institutions have similarly checkered histories, but it's nonetheless interesting.

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... laves.html

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:00 pm

What?

Oh, I get it - you prefer the faux modesty of "everybody else was such a genius" to the pleasant confusion of "people look at me like I've accomplished something." I guess I can see why.

law school question

New

Post by law school question » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:09 pm

mallard wrote:
What?

Oh, I get it - you prefer the faux modesty of "everybody else was such a genius" to the pleasant confusion of "people look at me like I've accomplished something." I guess I can see why.
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm

law school question wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Well, that's going a bit far...

law school question

New

Post by law school question » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:12 pm

mallard wrote:
law school question wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Well, that's going a bit far...
No, I'm not being facetious or anything
--ImageRemoved--

(I'm really not. The whole "I'M GOING TO HAVE TO WORK SO HARD TO KEEP UP WITH ALL THESE OTHER BRILLIANT, BEAUTIFUL MINDS" schtick is really grating.)

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:20 pm

mallard wrote:
What?

For the record, equating the above to pleasant confusion is pretty disingenuous. And yeah, there's a big difference between running around reveling in random people being in awe of you because of where you're going to school and appreciating your classmates.

If you want to talk about how cool your future fellow students are, go right ahead - HLS kids are almost uniformly accomplished, intelligent, hard-working and destined for good things ahead. There are countless things to be proud of in your classmates. However, getting an ego boost from the significance that the name on your T-shirt conveys is *not* the same thing, let alone speculating on the ability to score based on it. I know we all worked really hard to get into the schools we're getting into and it's *definitely* something to be proud of, but I just think it's really easy for this to get to one's head.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:21 pm

FWIW I'm sure mallard was joking about the "trying to score" part.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”