Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tobey2

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by tobey2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:47 am

heyyitskatie wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:Aw, good luck Tobey! I'm rooting for you!

Now I think I should share a story about a married couple I met while I was visiting a non-to-be-named frigid midwest school. They had both gotten into Boalt and two frigid midwest schools (impressive!) and had eliminated B from their list immediately after visiting. I, slightly insulted, asked why-- perhaps they had seen something I had missed. They replied that they were smokers, that smoking was outlawed in the town of Berkeley, and that they didn't want to go somewhere where they would be excluded for their lifestyle.

Hopefully someone else finds that amusing. I did!
Smoking, as in smoking cigarettes? I have no idea where they got that from, but unless it's some law that absolutely nobody has enforced ever, smoking is not illegal here.
maybe they meant that smoking was outlawed in bars? i don't know if thats the case at berks, but smoking is still allowed in bars in ann arbor.

and thanks alleycat -- thats a funny story. glad they withdrew - opens up more space for me :) keep those fingers crossed, folks. its going to be a long summer.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 am

amyLAchemist wrote:^^^^^

I like this idea! Also - take pics of it didn't happen.

My essential question is: Ok, hi. I am coming to your school. I want to accept all monies and get grad plus. Tell me what to do. Kthx.

Also - I wonder if they are just going to send out a massive info packet about it soon? So they aren't replying to us invidually?

Izzie's - We will all keep you company, don't worry! Just be glad it's < half a year, instead of at least 2 years.....
You know, I never thought about that. You might be right about them doing a mass mailing soon. Here's hoping!

LOL...thanks! We can start a "Where is my SO?" club on campus. :D

alleycat3

New

Post by alleycat3 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Katie, yes, I think they had their facts wrong about the smoking-- hopefully they don't tell their future clients such exagerations! I was more amused that that was their reason for deciding not to go to Berkeley. I wish I had had the guts to say that that was all the more reason to go to Boalt!

And yes, smoking is legal in bars in AA. I smelled awful later. A serious downside.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

I was tired of waiting to hear from financial aid by email and live in the east bay, so I took a half-day at work and just went to their new office on Telegraph. The place is literally still being unpacked, so I'm not surprised they haven't been super responsive on email. With that said, within 20 minutes of showing up without an appointment I was sitting down with someone from financial aid who answered all of my questions.

For GRAD PLUS loans she said all I needed to do was email her the amount I wanted borrow (not to exceed my calculated financial need) and she would begin the steps to process the loan. She also confirmed that as long as I had the loans thing figured out by mid July I would be fine. Sounds like there isn't an early bird gets the worm thing like there was for filling out the FAFSA back in January.

Anyone here care to weigh in on the decision to use GRAD PLUS instead of one of the preferred private lenders?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:41 pm

feeblemiles wrote:I was tired of waiting to hear from financial aid by email and live in the east bay, so I took a half-day at work and just went to their new office on Telegraph. The place is literally still being unpacked, so I'm not surprised they haven't been super responsive on email. With that said, within 20 minutes of showing up without an appointment I was sitting down with someone from financial aid who answered all of my questions.

For GRAD PLUS loans she said all I needed to do was email her the amount I wanted borrow (not to exceed my calculated financial need) and she would begin the steps to process the loan. She also confirmed that as long as I had the loans thing figured out by mid July I would be fine. Sounds like there isn't an early bird gets the worm thing like there was for filling out the FAFSA back in January.

Anyone here care to weigh in on the decision to use GRAD PLUS instead of one of the preferred private lenders?
I nominate you.....the 2nd Official TLS Hero (after OperaSoprano). Bravo!!!!

And I think GradPlus is better for me, because of the fixed rate and lack of cosigner...I have "decent" credit, but would most likely have sky high interest rates because of high balances on consumer debt. Might even need a cosigner, which I am not going to burden anyone with.

Also, GradPlus has some sort of perk for people going into PI, and since I don't know what I will be doing in 3 years, I'd like to keep my options open. Finaid told me the details, but I honestly don't remember.

Thanks again for doing this!!!
Last edited by IzziesGal on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:22 pm

feeblemiles wrote:I was tired of waiting to hear from financial aid by email and live in the east bay, so I took a half-day at work and just went to their new office on Telegraph. The place is literally still being unpacked, so I'm not surprised they haven't been super responsive on email. With that said, within 20 minutes of showing up without an appointment I was sitting down with someone from financial aid who answered all of my questions.

I'm guessing it is somewhere, but it's too hard to find on my phone (all I have at the moment). When they say financial need WRT GradPLUS does that mean if EFC+Staffords>=Student Budget/COA then there is no "demonstrated need??"

If so, oy vay. Nothing like having need based on a job I won't have while actually having to pay tuition. I mean, it's better than having NEED, but I thought I'd be able to still get GradPLUS!

Thanks for being our voice, Miles!!!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:39 pm

I was a bit confused about this too Rotor. She said that they understood that nearly everyone would no longer be working once they started law school but didn't mention anything about adjusting EFC's to accommodate that. Of course, my EFC is pretty insubstantial, so it wasn't really relevant for my situation.

Have you thought about appealing your budget to factor in relocation expenses? There's a whole list of things that can be factored into your budget.

Also some good info buried on the Berkeley site:
To apply for the Grad PLUS (after having completed your FAFSA), send an email to financial-aid@law.berkeley.edu with your name, SID and indicate the amount you would like to borrow through the Grad PLUS. We will certify your eligibility for the amount requested.
and
All Federal Graduate PLUS loans have a 2 ½ % origination fee deducted from the loan amount. If you decide to borrow a Graduate PLUS loan, you may wish to increase the amount you need to borrow to make up for the fees. We will increase your budget to compensate for the fees. Use the example below to calculate the net amount of the loan you wish to borrow.

Example: If you want to borrow a net amount of $15,000, you should apply for $15,000/.975 = $15,385.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Did anyone else get the email about the Bar Association of San Francisco's "Bay Area Minority Law Student Scholarship"? The deadline is May 15 and the sum is princely. But I don't think I am going to apply. It seems geared towards URM's and I am not a US Citizen/Perm Res so I am pretty sure I am not their target applicants. But if anyone here is from a minority "group" (that's how they spell it out) underrepresented in Bay Area Law Schools, then they may want to check it out. The application form is pretty easy to fill out and the 500-word essay can be easily *written*, what with the PS's and/or DS's we all have.

More info here:

http://www.sfbar.org/diversity/scholarships.aspx

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Fri May 01, 2009 5:54 pm

alleycat3 wrote:Katie, yes, I think they had their facts wrong about the smoking-- hopefully they don't tell their future clients such exagerations! I was more amused that that was their reason for deciding not to go to Berkeley. I wish I had had the guts to say that that was all the more reason to go to Boalt!

And yes, smoking is legal in bars in AA. I smelled awful later. A serious downside.

Smoking IN a bar? As in, inside???? So..you know you are from California when that never even crosses your mind! I forget that you can smoke indoors in certain places still!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:I may be joining Izzie and Amy... my SO is going to accept a 2-year post doc if he gets it, far far away from Berkeley. I swear I do want him to get it because it's an awesome job and it will make things easier in the long run, but I had just gotten excited about him coming to Berkeley with me and cooking me dinner (oh, and turning the dissertation into a book! That too!). So I may or not be lonely next year as well. I mean, come on, it's not like we're asking them to move to some horrible locale :P
This is 100% my situation. He is hesitating on an awesome 2 year post-doc at a national lab (that actually doesn't pay like a post-doc too) in Denver area because it is so far from Berkeley. A lot of people in higher positions in start-ups in his industry (which is centered in the bay area) have come from said national lab, and he could easily follow suit. Half of me says "hunie, you should go for it" and half of me says "come to Berkeley/Bay Area - not a horrible locale." The first half is a little stronger right now, but he is hesitant to take it for obvious reasons.

Don't worry, Izzie and AlleyCat and others, you're not alone in being "alone." ;)
Count me in the "alone" group! My wife and I had a long conversation a while back and decided the MPP offer she got from the Woodrow Wilson school at Princeton is just way too good. It's a full ride for the 2 years, plus $20,000 living stipend. So yeah this is going to be a real challenge. One thing though is i am switching over to a mac (she already did) and we will be studying together via web cam :P

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:I may be joining Izzie and Amy... my SO is going to accept a 2-year post doc if he gets it, far far away from Berkeley. I swear I do want him to get it because it's an awesome job and it will make things easier in the long run, but I had just gotten excited about him coming to Berkeley with me and cooking me dinner (oh, and turning the dissertation into a book! That too!). So I may or not be lonely next year as well. I mean, come on, it's not like we're asking them to move to some horrible locale :P
This is 100% my situation. He is hesitating on an awesome 2 year post-doc at a national lab (that actually doesn't pay like a post-doc too) in Denver area because it is so far from Berkeley. A lot of people in higher positions in start-ups in his industry (which is centered in the bay area) have come from said national lab, and he could easily follow suit. Half of me says "hunie, you should go for it" and half of me says "come to Berkeley/Bay Area - not a horrible locale." The first half is a little stronger right now, but he is hesitant to take it for obvious reasons.

Don't worry, Izzie and AlleyCat and others, you're not alone in being "alone." ;)
That's going to be tough. We're looking at a NJ vs. CA thing, too...but not for 2 years. You guys will survive it, though!!!

Count me in the "alone" group! My wife and I had a long conversation a while back and decided the MPP offer she got from the Woodrow Wilson school at Princeton is just way too good. It's a full ride for the 2 years, plus $20,000 living stipend. So yeah this is going to be a real challenge. One thing though is i am switching over to a mac (she already did) and we will be studying together via web cam :P

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:15 am

TopCat wrote:Did anyone else get the email about the Bar Association of San Francisco's "Bay Area Minority Law Student Scholarship"? The deadline is May 15 and the sum is princely. But I don't think I am going to apply. It seems geared towards URM's and I am not a US Citizen/Perm Res so I am pretty sure I am not their target applicants. But if anyone here is from a minority "group" (that's how they spell it out) underrepresented in Bay Area Law Schools, then they may want to check it out. The application form is pretty easy to fill out and the 500-word essay can be easily *written*, what with the PS's and/or DS's we all have.

More info here:

http://www.sfbar.org/diversity/scholarships.aspx
i got the email to top cat and will be applying

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat May 02, 2009 2:24 pm

I've had the same 'tar since I first figured out how to upload one. Amy's pink Cal tar (among other school 'tars popping up around TLS) got me to thinking I should give props to Boalt too.

I know changing the img affects all posts past, present and future, but I figured this was the appropriate thread to go public with it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sat May 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Rotor wrote:I've had the same 'tar since I first figured out how to upload one. Amy's pink Cal tar (among other school 'tars popping up around TLS) got me to thinking I should give props to Boalt too.

I know changing the img affects all posts past, present and future, but I figured this was the appropriate thread to go public with it!
I am so jumping on the "Let's Rep Berkeley" bandwagon.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat May 02, 2009 3:23 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
Rotor wrote:I've had the same 'tar since I first figured out how to upload one. Amy's pink Cal tar (among other school 'tars popping up around TLS) got me to thinking I should give props to Boalt too.

Is that a yellow rhino painted on their chests?? LOL

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Sat May 02, 2009 11:08 pm

i want that shirt! and i got my rejection from stanford today, which means cycle officially over for me and i'll be seeing all of you in august. i'm stoked.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sun May 03, 2009 2:31 am

Rotor wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:

Is that a yellow rhino painted on their chests?? LOL
Go bears!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sun May 03, 2009 6:58 pm

102 days until orientation Class of '12!!! Make 'em count!!!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:102 days until orientation Class of '12!!! Make 'em count!!!
Okay, as excited as I am, that's actually kinda scary. :D

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon May 04, 2009 8:40 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:

+1

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:102 days until orientation Class of '12!!! Make 'em count!!!
Okay, as excited as I am, that's actually kinda scary. :D
I'm just sick of the city. The winter that wouldn't end; the spring that peeped its head out for one weekend but went right back into hiding; the April showers that arrived a month late but appear to be here for awhile. I have a terrible case of seasonal affective disorder and just want to go already!

And it's 101 days now! :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 pm

100 days before orientation and only slightly over 1100 before we finish our last final at Berkeley.

Oh the internet...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 am

feeblemiles wrote:100 days before orientation and only slightly over 1100 before we finish our last final at Berkeley.

Oh the internet...
Yeesh.....once we go below 100 (tomorrow), it's pretty much all over. I need to watch as many movies and read as many books for fun as possible before it's too late. :wink:

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Tue May 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Has anyone seen their SLR get approved yet on Bearfacts? I got an email a few weeks ago saying a decision had been made and the result would be available on Beafacts in a few days... still nothing.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue May 05, 2009 5:26 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Has anyone seen their SLR get approved yet on Bearfacts? I got an email a few weeks ago saying a decision had been made and the result would be available on Beafacts in a few days... still nothing.
I had additional paperwork that needed to be submitted since I should be eligible for a waiver of the non-resident tuition! (As good as a $13K grant in my mind...)

I sent the paperwork off yesterday, so I expect it'll be at least a week or two (at the earliest) but I'll let you know if anything changes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”