Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
mllerustad
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby mllerustad » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Formerbruin wrote:::Looks at rankings::
::Remembers how silly they are, but feels a pang of sadness for losing the top IP spot to Stanny::


Given that Lessig got poached by Harvard, I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion...

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Grats on staying T6. Sending Berk my withdrawal now.

How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Grats on staying T6. Sending Berk my withdrawal now.

How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me


So......where are you definitely headed?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:12 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Grats on staying T6. Sending Berk my withdrawal now.

How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me


So......where are you definitely headed?

Still not sure actually. Have to hear back (get rejected) from Stanford, but I'm doing withdrawals to almost everywhere since it's going to be either UVA or Stanford.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Grats on staying T6. Sending Berk my withdrawal now.

How could this happen to me
I've made my mistakes
got nowhere to run
The night goes on as I’m fading away
I'm sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me


So......where are you definitely headed?

Still not sure actually. Have to hear back (get rejected) from Stanford, but I'm doing withdrawals to almost everywhere since it's going to be either UVA or Stanford.


Good luck to you - keep us posted!!

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7548
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 am

For anyone claiming in-state residency, get on that ASAP. I just submitted mine and they have NINE things they want me to send in to verify that I'm a resident. I'm honestly not sure I can find all this stuff.

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:02 am

worldtraveler wrote:For anyone claiming in-state residency, get on that ASAP. I just submitted mine and they have NINE things they want me to send in to verify that I'm a resident. I'm honestly not sure I can find all this stuff.
I'll give you $12000 dollars if you find it all. :shock:

User avatar
unionorganizer02
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am

worldtraveler wrote:For anyone claiming in-state residency, get on that ASAP. I just submitted mine and they have NINE things they want me to send in to verify that I'm a resident. I'm honestly not sure I can find all this stuff.


thanks for the note. I gotta get on this!

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm

What is the deal with them needing two copies of your UG transcript? Are they looking to save on toner or something?

legends159
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby legends159 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:38 pm

they need 2 originals. One for them and one for LSAC/ABA

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Drake014 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:15 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:
TopCat wrote:Not that it really makes much of a difference but I am happy that Berkeley is again #6. Congratulations to all Berkeley 0L's (and current students) :D

Good luck on the Phoenix, unionorganizer. I didn't apply. Did you get a call?


just got an email. did not receive the phoenix. however, i did receive a letter this past weekend saying i have been awarded the S.K. Yee Fellowship, which is $5,000 for "strong record of achievement and professional promise"!


I got rejected for the Phoenix as well... haven't checked my PO box though since early last week. I guess I should.

When you got the scholarship, did it reflect it online?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Got a call on the answering machine today from the Office of the Registrar to resolve the issues I was having with the SLR.

Funny thing is, I didn't think I was having a problem. :lol:

(Actually, after hitting submit, I realized I had to change one answer because when they ask "are you military" they mean "are you military stationed in California"? Unfortunately, my answers to the questions are not the same...)

The office has actually been great in helping me understand the details behind the AB540 waiver of out-of-state tuition.

For those of you who are non-residents, but attended CA high schools for at least 3 years (need not be consecutive) and graduated from one too, you should receive a waiver of the non-resident tuition (as long as the waivers continue to be approved by the Regents they added as a nice caveat). Granted, it may be a small crowd who will qualify, but just thought I'd pass it along since it is not well advertised. (Just be sure to check the block "graduated from a CA High School" on the SLR!)

User avatar
unionorganizer02
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Drake014 wrote:
unionorganizer02 wrote:
TopCat wrote:Not that it really makes much of a difference but I am happy that Berkeley is again #6. Congratulations to all Berkeley 0L's (and current students) :D

Good luck on the Phoenix, unionorganizer. I didn't apply. Did you get a call?


just got an email. did not receive the phoenix. however, i did receive a letter this past weekend saying i have been awarded the S.K. Yee Fellowship, which is $5,000 for "strong record of achievement and professional promise"!


I got rejected for the Phoenix as well... haven't checked my PO box though since early last week. I guess I should.

When you got the scholarship, did it reflect it online?


Just checked yes it did.

User avatar
unionorganizer02
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

so i think the time for my anonymity is over, especially since i met many of you at ASW. i contribute to the Huffington Post and am always looking to increase the number of people who view my stuff. i got one published today about the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which if passed would greatly impact federal labor law (and hence our classes). Some of you may have seen a video by this song guy who made a video called "Hey, Paul Krugman." Anyway, he made a video about EFCA. One of the things I want to do with other students is continue to fight for a full time labor law professor on faculty. There are current efforts, but according to one student, because intellectual property firms give the university a lot of money, they have more pull on the type of professors who get hired. anyway, please check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonah-lal ... 89230.html

PeanutButtah
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby PeanutButtah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:so i think the time for my anonymity is over, especially since i met many of you at ASW. i contribute to the Huffington Post and am always looking to increase the number of people who view my stuff. i got one published today about the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which if passed would greatly impact federal labor law (and hence our classes). Some of you may have seen a video by this song guy who made a video called "Hey, Paul Krugman." Anyway, he made a video about EFCA. One of the things I want to do with other students is continue to fight for a full time labor law professor on faculty. There are current efforts, but according to one student, because intellectual property firms give the university a lot of money, they have more pull on the type of professors who get hired. anyway, please check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonah-lal ... 89230.html


Hey that's great! I used to do some citizen journalist stuff for the HuffPo during the election, just some research and what not; but always awesome to see another person involved with it. They're fantastico! :)

User avatar
unionorganizer02
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:20 pm

PeanutButtah wrote:
unionorganizer02 wrote:so i think the time for my anonymity is over, especially since i met many of you at ASW. i contribute to the Huffington Post and am always looking to increase the number of people who view my stuff. i got one published today about the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which if passed would greatly impact federal labor law (and hence our classes). Some of you may have seen a video by this song guy who made a video called "Hey, Paul Krugman." Anyway, he made a video about EFCA. One of the things I want to do with other students is continue to fight for a full time labor law professor on faculty. There are current efforts, but according to one student, because intellectual property firms give the university a lot of money, they have more pull on the type of professors who get hired. anyway, please check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonah-lal ... 89230.html


Hey that's great! I used to do some citizen journalist stuff for the HuffPo during the election, just some research and what not; but always awesome to see another person involved with it. They're fantastico! :)


Nice! Would you mind sharing some of your stuff? (PM if don't wish to post)

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Formerbruin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:so i think the time for my anonymity is over, especially since i met many of you at ASW. i contribute to the Huffington Post and am always looking to increase the number of people who view my stuff. i got one published today about the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA), which if passed would greatly impact federal labor law (and hence our classes). Some of you may have seen a video by this song guy who made a video called "Hey, Paul Krugman." Anyway, he made a video about EFCA. One of the things I want to do with other students is continue to fight for a full time labor law professor on faculty. There are current efforts, but according to one student, because intellectual property firms give the university a lot of money, they have more pull on the type of professors who get hired. anyway, please check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonah-lal ... 89230.html


Good stuff! Glad you're joining us in the fall!

mijahe
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby mijahe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am

Has anyone else not been able to access their financial aid letter? Every time I click on the 2009-10 offer letter, it opens up a new tab and eventually times out. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE browsers.

alleycat3
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby alleycat3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:02 pm

mijahe wrote:Has anyone else not been able to access their financial aid letter? Every time I click on the 2009-10 offer letter, it opens up a new tab and eventually times out. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE browsers.


Are you sure you're checking within the recommended hours? If you're on the east coast it's pretty easy to forget and to try checking before 7 am west coast time.

alleycat3
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby alleycat3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

Question about housing: I've gotten some conflicting reports about the best time to look for housing. I want to try to get an August 1 start date so I have time to settle in and explore. Someone told me that I should fly out in June to look for housing, someone said early July, and someone said that in Berkeley apartments aren't posted until one to two weeks prior to the lease start date. I would love it if the last person was correct, because it would mean I wouldn't have to make a separate flight out there, but it scares me to get down so close to the wire. On the other hand, I don't want to go out early when there is nothing posted at all.

What are other people planning to do? Do the 1Ls who read this have any ideas?

Thanks!

mijahe
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby mijahe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 pm

alleycat3 wrote:
mijahe wrote:Has anyone else not been able to access their financial aid letter? Every time I click on the 2009-10 offer letter, it opens up a new tab and eventually times out. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE browsers.


Are you sure you're checking within the recommended hours? If you're on the east coast it's pretty easy to forget and to try checking before 7 am west coast time.


Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not it. I tried checking late one night and got a specific message saying it was outside the hours of operation.

Thanks for the response, though.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 pm

mijahe wrote:
alleycat3 wrote:
mijahe wrote:Has anyone else not been able to access their financial aid letter? Every time I click on the 2009-10 offer letter, it opens up a new tab and eventually times out. I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and IE browsers.


Are you sure you're checking within the recommended hours? If you're on the east coast it's pretty easy to forget and to try checking before 7 am west coast time.


Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not it. I tried checking late one night and got a specific message saying it was outside the hours of operation.

Thanks for the response, though.


I've had the same problem when checking during the allotted time. Have you tried emailing finaid and asking for a pdf or hard copy?

User avatar
TopCat
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:41 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TopCat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I also can't access the letter either, although I did get an email version (titled Boalt Hall Grant Award 2009-10).

When I click on 2009-10 link (next to "Select a Financial Aid Year" in the "Offer Letter" section of Bear Facts>Students>Financial Aid), a new window/tab opens up which asks for my SSN. After that, a conditions page opens. After accepting the conditions, I finally get to the Financial Aid Offer Letter page, complete with the Menu bar on the left hand side. However, when I click at the View Awards and Missing Documents link, it says "Sorry, there are no Official or Preliminary Awards to view at this time." Curiously enough, the "See Your Budget Details" link works though (>$70 grant a year! I still can't believe it. My parents think I am making it up; they think I am trying to justify my profligate ways - that's what happens when you come from a country where owning a car is a big ass luxury thing and your parents wonder whether your son in the U.S. should really have bought a $3000 used car whether or not out of his own pocket and has a girlfriend etc etc when I am actually subsisting on PBJ and Ramen ironically enough. /rant).

That's the nuts of boalts of how things are between me and my online offer letter/finances issue as of now. Now let me go play Powerball.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 pm

alleycat3 wrote:Question about housing: I've gotten some conflicting reports about the best time to look for housing. I want to try to get an August 1 start date so I have time to settle in and explore. Someone told me that I should fly out in June to look for housing, someone said early July, and someone said that in Berkeley apartments aren't posted until one to two weeks prior to the lease start date. I would love it if the last person was correct, because it would mean I wouldn't have to make a separate flight out there, but it scares me to get down so close to the wire. On the other hand, I don't want to go out early when there is nothing posted at all.

What are other people planning to do? Do the 1Ls who read this have any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm flying early to look at some places and hopefully put down a deposit. I want to move July 1st so I'll be in the area around early June.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:35 pm

TopCat wrote:I also can't access the letter either, although I did get an email version (titled Boalt Hall Grant Award 2009-10).

When I click on 2009-10 link (next to "Select a Financial Aid Year" in the "Offer Letter" section of Bear Facts>Students>Financial Aid), a new window/tab opens up which asks for my SSN. After that, a conditions page opens. After accepting the conditions, I finally get to the Financial Aid Offer Letter page, complete with the Menu bar on the left hand side. However, when I click at the View Awards and Missing Documents link, it says "Sorry, there are no Official or Preliminary Awards to view at this time." Curiously enough, the "See Your Budget Details" link works though (>$70 grant a year! I still can't believe it. My parents think I am making it up; they think I am trying to justify my profligate ways - that's what happens when you come from a country where owning a car is a big ass luxury thing and your parents wonder whether your son in the U.S. should really have bought a $3000 used car whether or not out of his own pocket and has a girlfriend etc etc when I am actually subsisting on PBJ and Ramen ironically enough. /rant).

That's the nuts of boalts of how things are between me and my online offer letter/finances issue as of now. Now let me go play Powerball.

:shock: They're giving you more than $70k a year when OOS COA is $70k? You mean you're not taking out ANY loans, not even Staffords? Wow!!! Congrats!!!




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest