Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
legends159

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:39 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
legends159 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Ok, kiddies, here I am. I am Boalt Class of 2012!!!! :mrgreen: (>95% chance)
lol wut? Don't tease!

did your bf not get the job?
The guy told him no, but he wants to find out why. :roll: This isn't going to result in a job. Plus he got 3 interview offers in the bay area yesterday alone at a conference that lasts throughout the week. Looks like it is bay area for us.
haha congratulations. I'm sure you can sleep easy now.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:41 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Ok, kiddies, here I am. I am Boalt Class of 2012!!!! :mrgreen: (>95% chance)
:D :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

mightydinosaur

New

Post by mightydinosaur » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
mightydinosaur wrote:
prelaw wrote:And just got the email reminding me of the April 15 admissions form deadline. There is now way I'm responding without an offer.
The minute I got that, I sent them an email saying I am considering Berkeley and two other schools and want to hold onto my seat for now, but I am not ready to commit without hearing the verdict on my matching scholarship request. I hope they'll accept that for now. All I've heard back so far is an autoresponse.

Really, though, I think it is bad form to send out important financial aid info so close to their own deadline.
You can tentatively confirm at no cost for now.
Yeah, I know, but I don't want to tell them I am probably coming to Berkeley when I know I am leaning towards some of my other options unless Berkeley offers a bunch of money. This way felt more honest to me.

el guapo

New

Post by el guapo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Does anyone have any information about how need-based grants have been renewed for 2L and 3L years in the past? Anybody know anyone with experience with this?

I received a generous grant for my 1L year, but am concerned that if in-state tuition goes up something like $5000 next year, my prosepective 2L grant won't increase at all. I am planning on doing P.I. and uitilizing LRAP, but a big swing would put me on the wrong side of the 100k cap.

Oh, and I have less than 3 hours to take or leave nyu's offer.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:15 pm

The grant money is just for 1L year.

2L and beyond the numbers will change dramatically for 3 reasons:

1. They expect you to get instate tuition after 1L so the grant automatically drops by 6.5K (so you gotta live there for a year and get a driver's license or register to vote)

2. Summer employment. They give you a 7K living allowance for summer employment. Then expect that 60% of what you make after that 7K cushion will be applied to tuition. E.g., if you make 10K over the summer, they expect 60% of 3K or 1800 to go towards tuition. Now if you make the typical 30K that 2L firm jobs give, you'll be paying 13,800 of that towards tuition.

3. Probably won't have an effect, but the state of California's economy might influence grants. The financial aid officer told me they're pretty insulated but that it could be a unlikely possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:21 pm

el guapo wrote:Does anyone have any information about how need-based grants have been renewed for 2L and 3L years in the past? Anybody know anyone with experience with this?

I received a generous grant for my 1L year, but am concerned that if in-state tuition goes up something like $5000 next year, my prosepective 2L grant won't increase at all. I am planning on doing P.I. and uitilizing LRAP, but a big swing would put me on the wrong side of the 100k cap.

I asked NYU for an extension yesterday after explaining the situation and they granted it. I'll bet they'll give you one if you ask.

el guapo

New

Post by el guapo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:24 pm

I appreciate the help. I also think I was too vague with my last post. I actually knew about the deductions for in-state tuition and summer employment. I am more concerned that if there is a sharp increase in in-state tuition, this won't be offset by additional grant money.

I know tuition will rise at all schools, but it seems there is potential for berkeley's in-state costs to rise significantly compared to other schools. A $5000 increase means $10000 extra plus interest that would be covered by schools that don't have an LRAP cap.

el guapo

New

Post by el guapo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 pm

And NYU has repeatedly denied my requests for an extension. Also, it seems like a circus over there with the way they run things.

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 pm

WOOOHOOO!!! AMYLACHEMIST at Boalt!!!

Just got my waitlist at NYU yesterday so it's looking like more and more like Boalt is the one for me as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Um, I think I just need to suck it up and come to Boalt. If all you TlSers end up acting like you don't know me when I get there, there will be trouble.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:35 pm

legends159 wrote:The grant money is just for 1L year.

1. They expect you to get instate tuition after 1L so the grant automatically drops by 6.5K (so you gotta live there for a year and get a driver's license or register to vote)

2. Summer employment. They give you a 7K living allowance for summer employment. Then expect that 60% of what you make after that 7K cushion will be applied to tuition. E.g., if you make 10K over the summer, they expect 60% of 3K or 1800 to go towards tuition. Now if you make the typical 30K that 2L firm jobs give, you'll be paying 13,800 of that towards tuition.

3. Probably won't have an effect, but the state of California's economy might influence grants. The financial aid officer told me they're pretty insulated but that it could be a unlikely possibility.
I'm confused, 2L jobs pay $30k just during the summer or are you talking about working part time year round?

Also, where'd you hear they give a 7k living allowance in the summer?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:36 pm

el guapo wrote:I appreciate the help. I also think I was too vague with my last post. I actually knew about the deductions for in-state tuition and summer employment. I am more concerned that if there is a sharp increase in in-state tuition, this won't be offset by additional grant money.

I know tuition will rise at all schools, but it seems there is potential for berkeley's in-state costs to rise significantly compared to other schools. A $5000 increase means $10000 extra plus interest that would be covered by schools that don't have an LRAP cap.
They set up a base loan amount in which case grants are determined from that. For this year the base amount was I think 35K. So they expect every student to take 35K in loans. Then they calculate the amount of need based on the COA - the base loan.

I expressed these concerns when I met with their financial aid and they told me that if COA rises then their grants will rise as well (though not necessarily proportional to it).

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Drake014 wrote:

I'm confused, 2L jobs pay $30k just during the summer or are you talking about working part time year round?

He/she is referring to SA positions, which make ~ 30K for a summer's work.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:36 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
dank4284 wrote:
el guapo wrote:Does anyone have any information about how need-based grants have been renewed for 2L and 3L years in the past? Anybody know anyone with experience with this?

I asked NYU for an extension yesterday after explaining the situation and they granted it. I'll bet they'll give you one if you ask.
Wow, they (NYU) denied my request for a scholarship deadline extension. On the extreme off chance I go there, I'll have to go without scholarship.
That is bizarre and quite unfair. It sounds like we are in essentially the exact same situation. I just responded to the scholarship deadline reminder. I really hope we all get some matching aid from UCB! Hell I'd be happy if they matched me 50%.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Drake014 wrote:

every financial officer told me 7K allowance (you gotta pay rent and food).

The 30-35K is what is expected for anyone working a biglaw job over the summer so I just put that number there as a paradigm. summer associates make the same weekly wages as a first year associate.

el guapo

New

Post by el guapo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks, Legends.

I've had trouble getting direct answers from Financial Aid - I think because they are unsure themselves year to year. The base loan amount for the coming year (09-10) is 30,500, I believe.

So they led you to believe grants would indeed increase if COA increases?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:45 pm

el guapo wrote:Thanks, Legends.

I've had trouble getting direct answers from Financial Aid - I think because they are unsure themselves year to year. The base loan amount for the coming year (09-10) is 30,500, I believe.

So they led you to believe grants would indeed increase if COA increases?
well they told me they'd have a hard time justifying to the board if they didn't increase grants but increased COA. They gave me the impression that the board wanted to ensure that their money was being used to help needy students finance their education.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
unionorganizer02 wrote:Speaking of scholarships, did anyone apply for the Phoenix Fellowship? It is the Berkeley scholarship for people who wish to pursue public interest. They are supposed to interview people on April 19.
I wanted the money, but couldn't convince an infant that I care about PI.
Same here. When I first got the "invitation" email, I thought they were offering me the damn scholly. I was so excited I hardly read the part about how they were only asking me to consider applying. IDK why they sent me the invitation email. No history of PI work here and neither am I an American citizen/perm res.

Good luck with the app, unionorganizer. I hope you get it.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:39 pm

No matching. :( I really really like Berkeley, but the more I think about it, it's probably not that good of an idea to choose it over other schools with scholarships.

el guapo

New

Post by el guapo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Just turned down NYU. See you in August.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm

silver11 wrote:Then what is the point of the lack of grades?
It protects the bottom quarter of the class.

I personally don't like it. I think it ends up hurting students in the middle and is confusing for a lot of employers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:08 pm

babs22pa wrote:

I personally don't like it. I think it ends up hurting students in the middle and is confusing for a lot of employers.
+1
lsatbobby wrote:Um, I think I just need to suck it up and come to Boalt. If all you TlSers end up acting like you don't know me when I get there, there will be trouble.
+2
amyLAchemist wrote:
Ok, kiddies, here I am. I am Boalt Class of 2012!!!! :mrgreen: (>95% chance)
+3 (Lsatbobby, care to match??)

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:13 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
babs22pa wrote:

+1
lsatbobby wrote:Um, I think I just need to suck it up and come to Boalt. If all you TlSers end up acting like you don't know me when I get there, there will be trouble.
+2
amyLAchemist wrote:
Ok, kiddies, here I am. I am Boalt Class of 2012!!!! :mrgreen: (>95% chance)
+3 (Lsatbobby, care to match??)
Will there be more crepes in my future if I commit?

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:21 pm

And I'm sold.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm

Just sent my FIRM acceptance to Boalt! Feels so amazing! Can't wait until August!!! Class of 2012 baby!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”