Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Drake014 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm

mllerustad wrote:
legends159 wrote:Fall 2009 Out of state tuition: $48,152

instate tuition $35,907

It's interesting that they're still keeping the in-state out of state difference at $12,245. I thought their goal was to increase in-state to become more competitive with their peers.

I didn't know that their out of state tuition would be the highest of every schools.


Gross. If they're trying to be *competitive* with peer schools, why is their tuition higher than any of them? (And with ridiculous CoL expenses to boot!)

Sigh. I loves me some Berkeley, but if they don't give me money there's no way I can afford going there.


Yeah, UVA's offered to wave my tuition for all 3 years if I go there. Plus, living expenses there are lower. I submitted that to Berkeley and they said they'd review it but may not be able to match it. If they don't, I'll probably still go there the first year but will likely transfer out after that for a better deal somewhere else.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Yeah, I e-mailed it in PDF form. Well, I guess they were catering to my color preferences? lol


That's their secret for their selectivity! They knew that it wasn't the great IP program or the great location or the awesome people that would get you. It was the pink admit decision form! :lol:

User avatar
unionorganizer02
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 am

Boalt is definitely doing their best to attract people to the school by appealing to their interests. I spent admit day telling current students about my experiences as a union organizer and strong interest in labor law. The adjunct professor who teaches labor law there emailed me today and wants to talk. He is also a Boalt alum.

User avatar
TopCat
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:41 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TopCat » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:16 am

Just dropping by to say that the ASD was really great. I am sold on Berkeley. I have lived in WV, ND and one of the lousiest parts of TX so the Berkeley area (as well as SanFran) is just superb as far as I am concerned. As to the "homeless problem" people have been talking about, I did not find it as bad as it was made out to be (especially since I have lived/worked in NYC for a while).

Also, it was really nice meeting legends and rotor. I know that rotor is probably going to be there this fall (and I really look forward to our continued friendship, btw) but to legends - come on, forget UVA, Boalt's where all the action is. I do wish I could have met other TLS'ers.

Cheers.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 am

TopCat wrote:Just dropping by to say that the ASD was really great. I am sold on Berkeley. I have lived in WV, ND and one of the lousiest parts of TX so the Berkeley area (as well as SanFran) is just superb as far as I am concerned. As to the "homeless problem" people have been talking about, I did not find it as bad as it was made out to be (especially since I have lived/worked in NYC for a while).

Also, it was really nice meeting legends and rotor. I know that rotor is probably going to be there this fall (and I really look forward to our continued friendship, btw) but to legends - come on, forget UVA, Boalt's where all the action is. I do wish I could have met other TLS'ers.

Cheers.


Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:51 am

IzziesGal wrote:Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)


A) he didn't look anything like his avatar :lol:
B) didn't you miss every TLSer at ASD? :P

iamlife1001
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby iamlife1001 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

anyone know when orientation begins?

prelaw
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby prelaw » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am

I have a picture of the Law School, but there was a lot of construction, so it sort of wasn't worth taking a lot of pictures.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 am

iamlife1001 wrote:anyone know when orientation begins?

Aug 13

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 am

Rotor wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Topcat, how did we miss each other?!?! I guess we'll just have to meet at Cafe Zeb first thing in the morning on orientation day. :)


A) he didn't look anything like his avatar :lol:
B) didn't you miss every TLSer at ASD? :P


Haha.

A) That would be scary if he did.
B) Technically, yes...I did miss every TLSer. Although I am convinced that I saw Amy in a crowd, but couldn't get close enough to read her name tag.

dank4284
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby dank4284 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Just as a heads up, if any of you all want to e-mail your response form but don't have a scanner, I found a word document version online at: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Response_Form.doc

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Drake014 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:08 pm

dank4284 wrote:Just as a heads up, if any of you all want to e-mail your response form but don't have a scanner, I found a word document version online at: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Response_Form.doc


I love it when someone does something that's simple, practical, and very helpful.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Formerbruin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?


They should definitely be sending you another form.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Formerbruin wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Anyone know if we are supposed to just email to give our second confirmation (the one that's due in June), or if they will be sending another packet with more info and another form?


They should definitely be sending you another form.


Merci beaucoup. :D

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:33 pm

I just typed my response as an e-mail. They accepted that.

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:46 am

The 1L classes for this fall have been posted.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/courses/courseSearchResults.php?categoryfield=First+Year+Courses&termCode=D&termYear=2009&orderByTitle=y

Quick note on the profs:

Swift, Berring, and Lester are legends

Murray, Talley, Doremus, Peterson, Gergen, Sugarman and Levy are supposed to be amazing

Biber and Schwartz are love 'em or hate 'em

Vetter and Hanlon are the weakest of the lot....

I haven't heard anything about the other professors, positive or negative.



It looks like everyone will be taking Torts. 2/3 of you will be taking Civ Pro 1. 1/3 of you will be taking Crim Law. 2/3 will be taking Property, and 1/3 will be taking Contracts.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7667
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks, Formerbruin!

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks FB!

Any idea if the 2/3 will all be CIVPRO+Property and 1/3 Crim + Contracts or will it be something like this notional (where sections are letters):

CIVPRO
ABCD

Property
CDEF

Crim
AB

Contracts
EF

Not that it makes much difference since we'll just get a slip of paper and be told "there you go". Just curious.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:59 am

Formerbruin wrote:The 1L classes for this fall have been posted.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-programs/courses/courseSearchResults.php?categoryfield=First+Year+Courses&termCode=D&termYear=2009&orderByTitle=y

Quick note on the profs:

Swift, Berring, and Lester are legends

Murray, Talley, Doremus, Peterson, Gergen, Sugarman and Levy are supposed to be amazing

Biber and Schwartz are love 'em or hate 'em

Vetter and Hanlon are the weakest of the lot....

I haven't heard anything about the other professors, positive or negative.



It looks like everyone will be taking Torts. 2/3 of you will be taking Civ Pro 1. 1/3 of you will be taking Crim Law. 2/3 will be taking Property, and 1/3 will be taking Contracts.

Thanks FB! I'm going to cry every day if I get placed in the 8:25 or 8:45 classes (even if the profs are legends). There's no way around this right? That is, if I'm placed into one of these there's no chance of switching into the 3:20 one, right? I am so not a morning person. Thanks again!

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:58 am

Rotor wrote:Thanks FB!

Any idea if the 2/3 will all be CIVPRO+Property and 1/3 Crim + Contracts or will it be something like this notional (where sections are letters):

CIVPRO
ABCD

Property
CDEF

Crim
AB

Contracts
EF

Not that it makes much difference since we'll just get a slip of paper and be told "there you go". Just curious.


Edit:

On second thought.... There is only one way it could work (I think)!!! (Yay LSAT logic games)

Possible schedule 1 (1/3 of the class):

Small section torts (Schwartz, Sugarman, Sayed)
Crim law (Murray)
Civ Pro (Vetter)

Possible Schedule 2:

Big Section Torts (Levy)
Small Section Contracts (Berring, Lester, Talley)
Big section Property (Gergen)

Possible schedule 3:

Big Section Torts (Hanlon)
Civ Pro 1 (Swift)
Small section Property (Biber, Doremus, Peterson)

*Methodology, if you're interested:

Everyone gets one small section and two big sections.

Supermod 1:

Small section torts conflicts with big section property, meaning they cannot go together, and therefore the combination must be small section torts, crim law, and civ pro. Crim law conflicts with Swift's civ pro, leaving Vetter's civ pro.

Supermod 3:

Hanlon's Big Torts conflicts with Talley's Contracts. Therefore the combination must be Hanlon's Torts + Small section property. The only other big class available (that isn't torts or property) is Swift's Civ Pro 1.

Supermod 2: Everything else.

Thanks FB! I'm going to cry every day if I get placed in the 8:25 or 8:45 classes (even if the profs are legends). There's no way around this right? That is, if I'm placed into one of these there's no chance of switching into the 3:20 one, right? I am so not a morning person. Thanks again!


I'm afraid you can't change it. However, even the non-morning people last year (two years ago?) said Berring before 9 AM was completely worth it. Lester hasn't had any super early (pre-9AM) 1L classes since I've been here, so I have no feedback on that aspect of it.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Formerbruin wrote:*Methodology, if you're interested:

Everyone gets one small section and two big sections.


:lol:

Just spent an hour or so meticulously creating an xls to graphically show the sections and staring at it trying to figure out iterations without much luck. If I'd had this key assumption, my forehead would be far less bruised from the wall pounding.

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm

and I thought I'd never do another logic game ever...

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby legends159 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:43 pm

hm...so you won't know which classes (let alone professors) you'll have until after you get your section assignments.

I guess you will know that you'll be taking LRW in the fall and likely torts and civ pro or properties.

When do you find out your section? Is it during orientation or before?

User avatar
Formerbruin
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:59 pm

legends159 wrote:hm...so you won't know which classes (let alone professors) you'll have until after you get your section assignments.

I guess you will know that you'll be taking LRW in the fall and likely torts and civ pro or properties.

When do you find out your section? Is it during orientation or before?


You find out when you register on the first morning of orientation.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest