Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
jessicaw
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby jessicaw » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:39 pm

i love berkeley, including the bums.

i dont love how people (who have a roof over their head) bitch about homelessness as if its somehow a big problem for them. GAH!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 am

jacktripper wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
trojans09 wrote:I don't really get why people view homelessness as such a problem. Going to a school in an area with a quite a few homeless people by, I'm not at all bothered by it. They pose no threat and the police have no tolerance for any outrageous behavior if they do act up. Although it may not be the nicest thing to have around, I don't really feel like it should sway anyone's decision for personal safety.

Incorrect. I'm not pressing the issue for any issue other than safety. I have seen several homeless people commit muggings and initiate fights for little or no reason. Are most homeless people harmless? Of course. As I mentioned earlier, I slept in train cars with homeless people and was never molested. My concern is that you never know which homeless person is homeless because he is mentally unstable. Also, odor and being confronted with a physical manifestation of class inequality.


Could you elaborate on this? I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Curious to see if we share the same thoughts on this issue.

?
1. Homeless people often smell bad.
2. Their presence is a constant reminder of the fact that most of us live lives where our concerns are so exceedingly immaterial as to border on meaningless. You eat a breakfast with high antioxidants and just enough riboflavin then walk outside and see the unwashed guy who slept in a pile of garbage bags for warmth. It puts everything in perspective and that's usually never a pleasant thing.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:01 am

Getting this thread back on track-Is anyone looking for a roommate? I definitely am and I'm pretty open as to potential roommates. I'm just trying to keep the cost under 900/month.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 am

bizzlemywizzle wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:If people are REALLY concerned about the homeless problem, then there are other areas around Berkeley that have far fewer homeless people. You can commute if you really feel the need to avoid them.

And bizzle, take your trash out of this thread. You don't like Berkeley. We get it. Now shut up and let those of us who either do like it or want to go there enjoy the thread. Go make a "Berkeley sucks" thread and take your irrational fear of homeless men stealing your GF there.


such a feisty woman. are you hot?

but seriously, i am concerned for my girlfriend's well-being. berkeley students have been raped in the past year you know...

You should become a news reporter. A lot of the general pop is dumb enough to hear that and be shocked rather than think critically and realize that a) you never actually stated they were raped by homeless people b) every college campus has rapes each year c) you never stated whether berkeley has more rapes than comparable campuses.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:42 am

bizzlemywizzle wrote:
mallen210 wrote:
bizzlemywizzle wrote:

Oh... and I did not get rejected from Stanford.

Just my thoughts... :D


you didn't even apply to stanford huh? or has stanford not even responded to you yet?


Wow... I had no clue I was wasting my time responding to the ignorance of calling Berkeley students, Stanford rejects.

Once again...

It's amazing to me that we've done what so many could not do (I know Harvard, Stanford & Columbia acceptances that received the boot from Berkeley) and you still have "opinions" that try to suggest that your achievement wasn't quite good enough! I'd be interested to see where bizzle's been accepted/rejected/wait listed...




i am probably headed to penn this fall (checking out fa first). accepted at lower ranked schools. waitlisted at columbia.

It's not really ignorance. It's something that Stanford students rightfully do at "big games." Good luck not getting your panties into a bunch when stanford students yell "You will be working for us." and "You are stanford rejects." during the "big games." (this has happened before...not lying.) berkeley students do the same with ucla students at their games.


Why would anyone with a decent sense of self esteem ever give a fuck about what a bunch of arrogant UGs chanted at a collegiate sports game?

This is really your argument?

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:02 am

bilbobaggins wrote:
bizzlemywizzle wrote:
It's not really ignorance. It's something that Stanford students rightfully do at "big games." Good luck not getting your panties into a bunch when stanford students yell "You will be working for us." and "You are stanford rejects." during the "big games." (this has happened before...not lying.) berkeley students do the same with ucla students at their games.


Why would anyone with a decent sense of self esteem ever give a fuck about what a bunch of arrogant UGs chanted at a collegiate sports game?

This is really your argument?


Maybe bizzle is a stanford ug reject?

mallen210
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby mallen210 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:
bizzlemywizzle wrote:
It's not really ignorance. It's something that Stanford students rightfully do at "big games." Good luck not getting your panties into a bunch when stanford students yell "You will be working for us." and "You are stanford rejects." during the "big games." (this has happened before...not lying.) berkeley students do the same with ucla students at their games.


Why would anyone with a decent sense of self esteem ever give a fuck about what a bunch of arrogant UGs chanted at a collegiate sports game?

This is really your argument?


Maybe bizzle is a stanford ug reject?


Haha.... and I'm sure a Boalt reject as well. It's painful when your alma mater gives you the boot.

Oh... and be careful bizzle. Harvard students might do the same when they play Penn. Wouldn't want you to regret your whole law school experience b/c of what others shout at "the big games."

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am

For those that haven't come to Berkeley before... don't take anyone else's word for it. Visit the place and decide for yourself. My experience in Berkeley has been no different than SF, NY, or DC with regards to homeless people (in my own experience I noticed way more in DC FWIW).

Bizzle, your comments continue to be vitriolic, unhelpful, and inappropriate in a thread that is for people going to Berkeley Law next year.

Its true that Berkeley Admissions are known for giving a lot of weight to GPA, but the school itself has a grading system where 60% of every class gets the same grade. Class rankings are only done by request. From everything I've seen or been told the competitive atmosphere at Berkeley is not nearly as rabid as at some comparable schools. I'm sure there are still opportunities for competition and intensity to exist, but the half-dozen 1Ls I spoke with all confirmed that their peers are more supportive and take a more "in-it-together" attitude than friends they have at other law schools.

Bizzle, for the record the polite thing to do would be to stop posting into this thread now. Not to call our s/os fugly :roll:

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey, guys. I just got back to NY after visiting Berkeley and spending a week out there in the East Bay. I LOVED the school - I sat in on some classes and felt like the school was a good fit. Everyone on campus was very friendly and helpful. The law students were eager to tell me about their experiences there. I cannot wait to start in the fall and join a journal as a 1L. Hope to see you all at ASD!

Edit: Seems like I've missed out on some action on this thread lol....

alleycat3
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby alleycat3 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Wow, I am so glad you wrote that bolded part. Now I know without a shred of doubt that I shouldn't pay attention to a word you write.

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Why is Berkeley one of the most popular places to live in the Bay? Why are housing prices so high? Why do many students love living there?

For what it's worth, you're probably the most successful troll on this forum as you're good at disguising actual trolling as some sort of useful commentary. If you'd stopped a few pages back, people might have taken your views into account. Now you just look like a troll.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:20 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Berkeley is far from ghettofabulous, and upon visiting, most people realize that. Not saying it is the ideal place to raise a family, although some do, but it is a great place to live is you are, um, a Berkeley student.

He'll go away, so.... :wink:

Image

Another day... Another troll moderated. Damn.

roguebear
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby roguebear » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Bizzle, we've already had this debate on another thread. I'm just surprised you brought this to the Class of 2012 thread. Definitely trolling right there. To counter point you I have grown up on the west coast, lived in the bay area, lived in seattle, went to berkeley UG and I must say for the majority of the berkeley population everything you have said does not apply and I've told you this before too. You have a right to your opinion but don't start spewing your vitriol on the thread for Berkeley 0Ls when its not even the majority opinion of Berkeley undergrads.

I don't know where you go off on berkeley students hating themselves and thinking they are worse than X school all the time. Yes we're ranked below stanford, but no one goes around every day with this giant chip on their shoulder (except you apparently). I'm especially surprised you brought up EECS (my major) since Berkeley is tied with stanford in their EECS program and there is no bias in industry or academia towards stanford over berkeley.

As I said in the last thread you started ranting in, I'm not trying to change your opinion. You obviously have your own biases from your background, but I would hope that you would at least realize that you're opinion is not in the majority.

EDIT: Amy I just saw your "don't feed the troll", but I just had to throw out some counterpoints from another student. I didn't want everyone on the thread to think Berkeley undergrads are like that...

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm kicking myself. I didn't know about any of the special events and booked my tickets to get me in and out as soon as possible. Any thoughts on how flexible the travel agency would be with getting me in a bit earlier and out a bit later? Also, I'm started to get really excited! Here's to hoping Berk makes me a decent scholly offer.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I'm kicking myself. I didn't know about any of the special events and booked my tickets to get me in and out as soon as possible. Any thoughts on how flexible the travel agency would be with getting me in a bit earlier and out a bit later? Also, I'm started to get really excited! Here's to hoping Berk makes me a decent scholly offer.


Same here!!! I am leaving early on Saturday to get home quickly to my family. UGH!!!!

Edit: I'm pretty sure they're not too flexible. When I booked my flights, the woman kept asking if I was sure, because any changes would result in fees. But it's worth a try!
Last edited by IzziesGal on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:52 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I'm kicking myself. I didn't know about any of the special events and booked my tickets to get me in and out as soon as possible. Any thoughts on how flexible the travel agency would be with getting me in a bit earlier and out a bit later? Also, I'm started to get really excited! Here's to hoping Berk makes me a decent scholly offer.


Same here!!! I am leaving early on Saturday, to get home quickly to my family. UGH!!!!

Edit: I'm pretty sure they're not too flexible. When I booked my flights, the woman kept asking if I was sure, because any changes would result in fees. But it's worth a try!

She didn't tell me that... this sucks.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:53 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D

Jump start on not doing the reading? Yes please!

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby TheNerdProject » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
feeblemiles wrote:Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D

Jump start on not doing the reading? Yes please!

I've already read the case, outlined it and read both the E&Es and hornbook sections that cover it. I'll be gunning from day zero.





Totally keeding.
Last edited by TheNerdProject on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roguebear
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby roguebear » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D


Haha yea. First thing I thought was wow I'm not even in and there's already homework? But the case sounds pretty interesting.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:03 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
feeblemiles wrote:Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D

Jump start on not doing the reading? Yes please!

I've already read the case, outlined it and read both the E&Es and hornbook sections that cover it. I'll be gunning from day zero.





Totally keeding.

hm. I'm definitely going to do this just so I can be 'that gunner'. I'll also wear a suit and bring my briefcase. Your collective exasperation will generate solidarity among the burgeoning 2012 class.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:22 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
roguebear wrote:
Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D


Haha yea. First thing I thought was wow I'm not even in and there's already homework? But the case sounds pretty interesting.


I liked how he said this is an ungraded assignment. ;)

Not to be a gunner, but it is actually prolly worth reading, get more out of the mock class that way. *shrug*


I agree....what better way to get an idea of what law school will be like??

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
roguebear wrote:
Just got the packet of info about ASD from Dean Tom... there's a case to read for a mock class. :D


Haha yea. First thing I thought was wow I'm not even in and there's already homework? But the case sounds pretty interesting.


I liked how he said this is an ungraded assignment. ;)

Not to be a gunner, but it is actually prolly worth reading, get more out of the mock class that way. *shrug*


I agree - what better way to get an idea of what law school will be like?? I just hope I don't get called on........

User avatar
feeblemiles
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby feeblemiles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:58 pm

I love the description of the two plays in the case... I read it during my lunch break. :oops:

roguebear
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby roguebear » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:04 pm

oh yea, i'm definitely going to read it. Haven't had time to read the whole thing but I read the intro and a summary of the case online. I also found it really interesting that they chose a copyright case.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest