Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Best dry-cleaners in Berkeley?

Go.

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:42 am

Shaggier1 wrote:Best dry-cleaners in Berkeley?

Go.

I use Virginia Cleaners (corner of Shattuck and Lincoln in N.Berk.). I make no representations about "best" but they are certainly the closest to my house and have always done good work for me. My suit was ~$16 so not cheap, but not outrageous.

User avatar
emilybeth
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby emilybeth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 am

I use Flamingo Cleaners on MLK across from Trader Joe's. They've always done a good job with my stuff (gotten coffee stains out of white jackets more than once) and they're not too expensive (less than $16 for my three-piece suits... though I don't remember how much less). Also, they're really friendly and sweet, and they stayed open for me once when I couldn't get off work in time to make it there by their 6:30 close time.

User avatar
Arrow
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Arrow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:06 am

harborleaguemvp wrote:I am transferring to Boalt this fall so I am completely new to the scene. A quick and completely unrelated question, are there intramural sports at all? I am not trying to be a complete meathead but it would be nice to do something other than study when Cal football is not going down.


Congrats on your transfer! There are definitely intramural "IM" sports with the main gym. You can sign up as a free agent, or join/create a team.

I played in the IM volleyball, and a lot of my friends did the IM basketball one. Some sports are really intense and popular (like IM basketball), where players "camp out" the night before registration begins to sign up their team. Each team usually has to pay a team fee to register (ours was about $200), but divided among team members the fee was not so bad. The IM competition is fairly well organized in my opinion, and there were a good chunk of graduate students playing. The championship game was also held in the main stadium in Haas pavilion, which was epic.

The link is here:

http://recsports.berkeley.edu/insidepag ... 3016b6b0d5

Have fun!

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the drycleaning tips, guys!

harborleaguemvp
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby harborleaguemvp » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:39 am

I appreciate the IM sports advice, seems like Berkeley has plenty to offer

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 am

just as a hypothetical... how would a lowly 1L go about securing an outline for his class/professor from a former student/2L?



i swear i wasnt that smurf who stampeded over somebody's foot...

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 pm

screwsandboalts wrote:just as a hypothetical... how would a lowly 1L go about securing an outline for his class/professor from a former student/2L?



i swear i wasnt that smurf who stampeded over somebody's foot...


Just ask. :D

Actually, around finals time, journals will start sending around links to outline banks. That's a great way to get access to a ton of different outlines from different professors. If you make friends with any 2Ls or 3Ls, you can always ask if they had your professors and if they'd be willing to send you an outline (try to get outlines from people who had your professors - much more helpful, since it's likely that the lectures covered the same material). Since we're not competing with you, we'll most likely want to help you. :wink:

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am

sweet - thank you!

User avatar
emilybeth
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby emilybeth » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:40 am

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does it have to be so hot ?!

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:50 pm

Did any of you have Vetter for Civ Pro last year?

I am struggling with his style (as is the rest of my supermod). He is clearly brilliant, and I like the guy; but there is zero structure to his lectures. He goes off on these mind-boggling tangents. And to make matters worse, he often mumbles... I sit in the second row and I literally do not understand the words that are coming out of his mouth.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing well in his class. I just got the E & E in the mail,. so I am hoping that would help. But any additional tips would be really helpful (or, if you are feeling especially generous, and outline would be a godsend).

Thanks 2012.

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:06 am

im feeling the same way about bundy - although i do see an overall structure to his class, i just am having a hard time grasping what we're supposed to be taking away from all of the dense material... but i guess that's to be expected. did any of you guys have him last year?

User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 pm

screwsandboalts wrote:im feeling the same way about bundy - although i do see an overall structure to his class, i just am having a hard time grasping what we're supposed to be taking away from all of the dense material... but i guess that's to be expected. did any of you guys have him last year?


Most classes are like this your first semester. Don't worry!

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Did any of you have Vetter for Civ Pro last year?

I am struggling with his style (as is the rest of my supermod). He is clearly brilliant, and I like the guy; but there is zero structure to his lectures. He goes off on these mind-boggling tangents. And to make matters worse, he often mumbles... I sit in the second row and I literally do not understand the words that are coming out of his mouth.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing well in his class. I just got the E & E in the mail,. so I am hoping that would help. But any additional tips would be really helpful (or, if you are feeling especially generous, and outline would be a godsend).

Thanks 2012.


Didn't have Vetter, but that E&E is *money.* Seriously - the civ pro E&E is hands down the best one out there (crim is pretty useless, IMO). Just make sure you actually work through all of the examples. There are "extra rules" that aren't in the actually text of the chapters, that you will learn by getting the examples wrong (because you think it's clearly one thing, when it's not), and it will then stick out in your mind. Honestly - that book saved my ass. :D

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:48 pm

thanks bilbo, that makes me feel a little better. i'm also a bit concerned because in terms of getting involved, i think im sticking to one journal and one clinic -- involving the issues im most interested in, and while other activities sound interesting too, i dont want to stretch myself too thin in my first semester. will this be a problem with regards to my resume? originally i had my heart set on doing carc, but after that meeting, it just seems way too intense...

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am

originally i had my heart set on doing carc, but after that meeting, it just seems way too intense...


I think it was pretty clear that they were trying to scare some people off at the CARC meeting, or at least the main speaker was. Every time he went on about how demanding it was, some of the other board members were careful to chime in and tone it down a bit.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:03 am

Didn't have Vetter, but that E&E is *money.* Seriously - the civ pro E&E is hands down the best one out there (crim is pretty useless, IMO). Just make sure you actually work through all of the examples. There are "extra rules" that aren't in the actually text of the chapters, that you will learn by getting the examples wrong (because you think it's clearly one thing, when it's not), and it will then stick out in your mind. Honestly - that book saved my ass.


Thanks for the input. I am going to try to take advantage of my four-day weekend and get caught up with the E & E.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7558
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
originally i had my heart set on doing carc, but after that meeting, it just seems way too intense...


I think it was pretty clear that they were trying to scare some people off at the CARC meeting, or at least the main speaker was. Every time he went on about how demanding it was, some of the other board members were careful to chime in and tone it down a bit.


In regards to CARC, I didn't do it last year and did another clinic instead. They clearly had more work than I did but CARC is pretty well organized. I got very frustrated with my clinic because it took the FOREVER to complete our training and we really didn't get anything to do until second semester. I think the APALSA immigration clinic would be a good alternative if you're worried about time, as that one is Saturday morning clinics and you pick how involved you want to be. Some others like the worker's rights clinic or AYJ are also very structured in terms of time, and that might be a better fit.

Also, perhaps I am just talking to a particularly stressed group of 1Ls but HOLY DONKEY step away from the casebooks and calm the hell down. I actually saw a girl this morning hyperventilating while trying to read a casebook. Somebody else was crying in a bathroom stall saying "I can't do this!" to someone on the phone.

It will all be okay. It will start to make sense, you'll start to figure out what is going on. You don't need to study 16 hours a day and have your outline finished already. You will pass your classes, you will find a summer job. Breathe. No one has everything figured out by now, even if they claim they do.

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:20 pm

thanks dude, i think im breathing again

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:48 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
originally i had my heart set on doing carc, but after that meeting, it just seems way too intense...


I think it was pretty clear that they were trying to scare some people off at the CARC meeting, or at least the main speaker was. Every time he went on about how demanding it was, some of the other board members were careful to chime in and tone it down a bit.


In regards to CARC, I didn't do it last year and did another clinic instead. They clearly had more work than I did but CARC is pretty well organized. I got very frustrated with my clinic because it took the FOREVER to complete our training and we really didn't get anything to do until second semester. I think the APALSA immigration clinic would be a good alternative if you're worried about time, as that one is Saturday morning clinics and you pick how involved you want to be. Some others like the worker's rights clinic or AYJ are also very structured in terms of time, and that might be a better fit.

Also, perhaps I am just talking to a particularly stressed group of 1Ls but HOLY DONKEY step away from the casebooks and calm the hell down. I actually saw a girl this morning hyperventilating while trying to read a casebook. Somebody else was crying in a bathroom stall saying "I can't do this!" to someone on the phone.

It will all be okay. It will start to make sense, you'll start to figure out what is going on. You don't need to study 16 hours a day and have your outline finished already. You will pass your classes, you will find a summer job. Breathe. No one has everything figured out by now, even if they claim they do.


OMG ---> +1 to everything worldtraveler said. I still don't know what they want from me. I probably never will. And hey, that's cool. It doesn't mean I am going to be a bad lawyer. In fact, I hate law school, but love, love, LOVED practicing law this summer at my 1L summer job. So it's going to be okay. Just think of this as some right of passage you have to get through in order to do what you really want - which is lawyering. :D

User avatar
screwsandboalts
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby screwsandboalts » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:30 pm

did any of you guys have Bundy for civpro? im seriously struggling over here and i was thinking it could help to talk to someone who had him/knows his teaching style ... i promise not to bother you with a bunch of other insecure-1L questions :(

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Also, perhaps I am just talking to a particularly stressed group of 1Ls but HOLY DONKEY step away from the casebooks and calm the hell down. I actually saw a girl this morning hyperventilating while trying to read a casebook. Somebody else was crying in a bathroom stall saying "I can't do this!" to someone on the phone.


:shock: Holy shit.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Just gotta say......the OCIP ugliness has GOT to calm down. I don't know if it's the "ITE syndrome" or if this is typical OCIP behavior, but people just have to chill out. For everyone's sake.

Some of the comments on Nuts and Boalts are just disgusting. If I were a prospective student and saw that, I would be instantly turned off to Boalt. Come on 2012, we're not doing a good job of selling the Berkeley spirit here.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 am

Hey upperclassmen, I could use some advice.

I haven't bought any supplements but I'm starting to get the impression that I'm in the minority. I'm trying to avoid the arms race mentality, but I keep hearing that it's important, so maybe I should bite the bullet.

Lots of people have the E&E for CivPro and I hear that's good, but what about a supplement keyed to the casebook? I see that Aspen and Legalines both have books for Hazard, Tait, et al (which I believe all 1L's are using). Did anyone have success with either of these?

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby Rotor » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:14 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Hey upperclassmen, I could use some advice.

I haven't bought any supplements but I'm starting to get the impression that I'm in the minority. I'm trying to avoid the arms race mentality, but I keep hearing that it's important, so maybe I should bite the bullet.

Lots of people have the E&E for CivPro and I hear that's good, but what about a supplement keyed to the casebook? I see that Aspen and Legalines both have books for Hazard, Tait, et al (which I believe all 1L's are using). Did anyone have success with either of these?

CivPro E&E is good. It doesn't have MC questions and that's where I got hit hardest.

I personally don't like the legalines case briefs bc I think I would get lazy and only read the pre-filled briefs.

Remember: everyone learns in his/her own way. If supps work for you--great. If not, don't get caught up in the arms race. If you want to try before you buy, most are on reserve at the library.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest