Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
scoobyman

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by scoobyman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Just got in through faculty committee on Thursday and I'm completely excited about it. My wife and I are already figuring out the logistics of moving with our daughter (and one due in June). I have to say that Berkeley surpasses all other law schools I've checked out in being family friendly. Orgs on campuses, a whole handbook, excellent/accessible/affordable family housing, subsidized child care, you name it. It really makes you feel comfortable in a complicated situation.

I would love to get a beer with everyone who has been posting, but I'm a little confused about how everyone will ID each other. Are we going to put on nametags that say, for instance, Tony AKA "Scoobyman". Maybe I'm just supposed to search for someone that looks like Sarah Palin and someone in a big poofy yellow princess dress... or is there some sort of mass PM happening that I'm not aware of?

Re: the previous posts about the Cheeseboard... I dig the cooperative approach and all, but compared to Zacharies? And, the first place I'm going to eat is Vic's chat house. Best Indian food this side of the Pacific. Who is with me? I'm trying to articulate my excitement in terms other than the million awesome places to eat in the Bay Area, but I'm finding it difficult!

Can't wait to meet everyone...

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

scoobyman wrote: Re: the previous posts about the Cheeseboard... I dig the cooperative approach and all, but compared to Zacharies? And, the first place I'm going to eat is Vic's chat house. Best Indian food this side of the Pacific. Who is with me?
I do love Zachary's too (although unlike most I think the thin crust is better than the deep dish) but the cheeseboard pizza is even better in my opinion. They are incredibly creative about what they put on the pizza, once they had a nectarine and arugula pizza, which sounds horrible, but it was amazing and tasted like nothing I had ever eaten. Also, they put the pizza on some sort of iron griddle which allows the bottom to be perfectly crispy without being over cooked.

I will agree with you about Vic's. That place rocks. At the Vic's store you can buy some really good stuff that is incredibly difficult to find outside of India.
scoobyman wrote: Can't wait to meet everyone...
+1

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Haha....someone on here posted a while back that we should create a TLS uniform. Something that we would all instantly recognize, but that would also blend in with the errr....normal people out there. :D

Topcat, where in NYC are you? My husband and I will be moving from NJ, just right outside of Manhattan, and are looking for pretty much the same housing options. Did you check out the married students/family housing? We're looking into it, but we'd have to leave our dog at home (with my family). And I'm not sure I can do that lol......

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:29 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Haha....someone on here posted a while back that we should create a TLS uniform. Something that we would all instantly recognize, but that would also blend in with the errr....normal people out there. :D

Topcat, where in NYC are you? My husband and I will be moving from NJ, just right outside of Manhattan, and are looking for pretty much the same housing options. Did you check out the married students/family housing? We're looking into it, but we'd have to leave our dog at home (with my family). And I'm not sure I can do that lol......
IzziesGal, I am not in NYC right now but my partner is. She lives in Brooklyn. I did check out the new 1bdrm apts at University Village (Albany) and at the Smyth Fernwald. Very reasonably priced but Smyth Fernwald only has 10 1bdrm units so I bet the waiting list is brutal there. Meanwhile UVA is too far away. I want something within 10-15 mins walking distance.

I have also noticed that it seems most apartment complexes are not pet friendly.

My concern right now is more to do with financial aid...Berkeley might just be a pipe dream even after getting in. If they don't help me out, I will be forced to go elsewhere.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm

TopCat wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Haha....someone on here posted a while back that we should create a TLS uniform. Something that we would all instantly recognize, but that would also blend in with the errr....normal people out there. :D

IzziesGal, I am not in NYC right now but my partner is. She lives in Brooklyn. I did check out the new 1bdrm apts at University Village (Albany) and at the Smyth Fernwald. Very reasonably priced but Smyth Fernwald only has 10 1bdrm units so I bet the waiting list is brutal there. Meanwhile UVA is too far away. I want something within 10-15 mins walking distance.

I have also noticed that it seems most apartment complexes are not pet friendly.

My concern right now is more to do with financial aid...Berkeley might just be a pipe dream even after getting in. If they don't help me out, I will be forced to go elsewhere.
What about private loans? You don't think you will be able to secure the rest of the tuition in loans?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alleycat3

New

Post by alleycat3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:41 pm

scoobyman wrote:I'm trying to articulate my excitement in terms other than the million awesome places to eat in the Bay Area, but I'm finding it difficult!
Oh man, me too. It's really bad. I've never been to the Bay Area so my SO and I are spending four nights there (staying in SF actually) and I spend most of my down time at work planning where we are going to eat. And that's just for ASW. It'll be really bad if (when) I actually live there.

This link is good: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listings/ ... s/2008list

scoobyman

New

Post by scoobyman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 am

AlleyCat, you are going to be stoked. Not only are the restaurants awesome, but so are the "raw materials". There's incredible bakeries, righteous coffee shops, beautiful markets.

So, in terms of restaurants, you GOTTA go to Farmer Brown's in the Tenderloin. This is absolutely the COOLEST place in the freaking world. They spin soul music until 2 AM, serve some of the best soul food I've had, put their (great) beers into big mason jars for cheap, have huge images of Cesar Chavez and Martin Luther King hanging from the ceiling, and have a beautiful wait staff (no matter what your preferences). And, they source all their food from local black-owned farms. If you want to be yuppy, righteous, and satisfied all at the same time, this is definitely the place to go.

In fact, I will definitely mount a campaign to stuff all food loving TLS addicts onto the Bart to take a trip to Farmer Brown's during Semester 1. That is, if anyone proposes a method for identifying ourselves!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Dudes and dudettes,

If you guys have any questions about Boalt, feel free to PM me/revive one of the questions threads!!

FB

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Formerbruin wrote:Dudes and dudettes,

If you guys have any questions about Boalt, feel free to PM me/revive one of the questions threads!!

FB
For now, could you give us a lowdown on hotel/motel/lodging options during the ASD? I checked a couple of places and they're either expensive if they're rated high (and nearby) or they're kinda affordable but hated high and mighty by people who've stayed there. I post the question here instead of PM'ing you for the benefit for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 am

TopCat wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:Dudes and dudettes,

FB
For now, could you give us a lowdown on hotel/motel/lodging options during the ASD? I checked a couple of places and they're either expensive if they're rated high (and nearby) or they're kinda affordable but hated high and mighty by people who've stayed there. I post the question here instead of PM'ing you for the benefit for everyone.
Yeah unfortunately there aren't any reasonably priced, decent hotels nearby campus. I would recommend going to a site like priceline, and finding a 3-star hotel in SF/Oakland near the BART station and taking the BART in (15 minute walk). There's a Mariott in Oakland about 3 blocks from the BART station where I've found some deals in the past.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Can anyone let me know how long it took after the initial acceptance email (or phone call, for all you lucky early admits) to receive the acceptance packet in the mail? Anxiously awaiting my info :D

alleycat3

New

Post by alleycat3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 pm

TopCat-- try hotwire.com. I'm staying in SF with my significant other for $65/night for four nights ($300 including tax... really not bad!) in a three star hotel right downtown that would cost $150 on expedia. We got this recommendation from a grad student friend at Berkeley and he said that it worked really well for the East Bay as well. He said you'd be safe, quality-wise, with 3 star and probably 2.5 stars too. The only catch is you don't know the actual name of the hotel until you book... but it worked out perfectly for me.

(I feel like a hotwire ad... I tell everyone about this.)

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm

I requested to stay with a student during ASW, got an email from a person saying they received my request and will have a host for me (unless otherwise notified), but have never received an email/phonecall from a potential host. Has anyone else heard from their host? I requested way back in beginning of January.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:41 pm

I am in!!!!! Thank you committee!!!!!!! I think I am going to kiss every member on that board :)

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:44 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I requested to stay with a student during ASW, got an email from a person saying they received my request and will have a host for me (unless otherwise notified), but have never received an email/phonecall from a potential host. Has anyone else heard from their host? I requested way back in beginning of January.
I did...not sure if you saw that. FYI - They didn't pay attention to my gender request. So don't be surprised about that. I guess I don't really care, as the housing is in fact free. ;)
I saw that you heard pretty soon after the request - they must have gotten wind that you are a princess. I wasn't sure if anyone else had been as lucky, though.

Btw, I know it has already been said, but we are all going to be terribly upset when you show up to ASW and are not wearing your poofy yellow princess dress.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm

amyLAchemist, my SO is coming down too so the option is not available.

Formerbruin, thanks for the tip. How's the area around Emeryville? I am willing to stay anywhere nearby a BART station.

alleycat3, that's great! I will check out hotwire immediately.

On a side note, I received the admit package today. A bit underwhelming (the viewbook is nothing new) but there were a number of letters. I need to get my financial aid application in order now. The priority deadline is March 2!

Incidentally, Berkeley admits may want to check out this Berkeley students blog called Nuts & Boalts (if they haven't done so already):

http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/

I especially liked the entries here:

http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2007/03/no ... l#comments

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks, Topcat! Can't wait to check my mailbox so I can start finally believing this is real LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Formerbruin, thanks for the tip. How's the area around Emeryville? I am willing to stay anywhere nearby a BART station.
Emeryville isn't bad, especially around the mall area. They do have problems with car break-ins in hotel lots, though. They also have a shuttle that goes from the hotels to the BART station and back (I believe it's called the Emery-go-round?).

Oh and on that nuts & Boalts link... they, in fact, got all new chairs in fall, 2007, so they are no longer uncomfortable. I quite like them.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Hotwire really has some good deals! $69/night for a 3-star!

formerbruin, or anyone who knows SF and Berkeley area (and BART), is it a good idea to stay around Union Square? Google map shows Powell St. BART and Montgomery St. BART nearby. I should be able to commute to Berkeley in around 30-35 mins from there, right?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm

The commute is great from that area, but I would be careful about where exactly around Union Square you're planning on staying. I would not stay west of Taylor (or 6th street) on either side of Market because of the neighborhood. Between Powell and Montgomery is all fine, but I'd try to stay east of Taylor if possible. If you have specific addresses feel free to PM me.

BART is about a 20-25 minute ride from those stops and a 10-15 minute walk from Downtown Berkeley to the law school.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 am

TopCat wrote:Hotwire really has some good deals! $69/night for a 3-star!

formerbruin, or anyone who knows SF and Berkeley area (and BART), is it a good idea to stay around Union Square? Google map shows Powell St. BART and Montgomery St. BART nearby. I should be able to commute to Berkeley in around 30-35 mins from there, right?
It's about 30 minutes on the BART when the direct line is running, and then about a 15 minute walk to the law school. If there's no direct line (evenings and Sundays, I believe), then it'll take longer to transfer by 5-15 minutes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Just got my email from admissions about pairing up with a student for a visit in March. I'll be going to the ASD, too, but my husband can only visit in March during his spring break. And he kinda has a right to see where we'll be calling home for three years. Totally excited!! And booked a really cheap flight off Travelocity from NJ to San Fran for only $258. I'm pretty psyched. :D

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks for the pointers bilbo and former.

Izzies, so they offer to host admits even when they're visiting outside of the ASD days?

All other Berkeley admits who are looking at the school (and California's economy) very closely, I wanted to share this recent article from Newsweek:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/185791

IDK if the article is relevant to the thread here but it's about Cali's economy and it's a well-written piece. Just wanted to share it.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:08 pm

TopCat wrote:Thanks for the pointers bilbo and former.

Izzies, so they offer to host admits even when they're visiting outside of the ASD days?

All other Berkeley admits who are looking at the school (and California's economy) very closely, I wanted to share this recent article from Newsweek:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/185791

IDK if the article is relevant to the thread here but it's about Cali's economy and it's a well-written piece. Just wanted to share it.
No, it's not to host me, but to have me follow the student around for the morning, attend class with her, and go to lunch with her so I can ask questions. :D

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Good news, bad news:

As of 2010, only 2-3% of our funding will come from the state.

BUT tuition has gone from less than 40% of Stanford's in 2002 to 90% of Stanford's in 2010.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”