Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
unionorganizer02

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby unionorganizer02 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Did anyone use the cal rentals service (for berkeley students/faculty) when looking for housing? it costs $20 for 3 months.

https://calrentals.housing.berkeley.edu/

debating whether or not it is worth it

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:02 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:What is the SHIP?

You're required to have health insurance as a Berkeley student. Unless you waive the fee, by demonstrating that you already have adequate coverage you are automatically charged $966 per semester to be covered year round by the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

http://uhs.berkeley.edu/Students/insura ... come.shtml

purplemonkey

Postby purplemonkey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:03 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:Did anyone use the cal rentals service (for berkeley students/faculty) when looking for housing? it costs $20 for 3 months.

Not worth it IMO. I paid the $20 but found the best options on Craigslist.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:03 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:Did anyone use the cal rentals service (for berkeley students/faculty) when looking for housing? it costs $20 for 3 months.

NOT

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:05 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Has anyone been able to figure out exactly how much we're going to be billed by the school for the first semester?

Also, I just applied to waive my SHIP. Anyone else done this yet / planning to?

Funny you should mention it. I sent my waiver in a few weeks ago, called to confirm it was there and was told I'd get an email to that effect. Still haven't received the email, so I just wrote to get the confirmation in writing-- so at least they can't say they never got it :D

Edit:
Also, if you go to the admitted students site, there's a fees page that lays it all out. Something in the neigborhood of 17,900 per term in fees-- resident + no waivers/grants/etc.

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:13 pm

That is what I had too... just wanted to check the wisdom of the board :D

madison12991

Postby madison12991 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:34 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Are people waiving SHIP because their spouse has health insurance? Or because they found cheaper health insurance somewhere else? FWIW, I used SHIP at another UC and it was actually pretty good, except dental and vision suck a bit.

I'm also curious about this because I assumed that I wouldn't be able to do better than SHIP. I know that insurance plans vary a lot in their cost and I'm probably in the demographic that gets the cheapest coverage, but I never thought I could beat the ease and value of paying $2000 for year-round medical and dental coverage from the University.

I just realized that about half my posts include "I assumed." I really need to stop assuming :)

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:40 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Are people waiving SHIP because their spouse has health insurance? Or because they found cheaper health insurance somewhere else? FWIW, I used SHIP at another UC and it was actually pretty good, except dental and vision suck a bit.

My dad works at Kaiser and has a killer plan that gives me a maximum of $5 co-pay for just about anything under the sun. I go off the plan next year (when I turn 25) but until then I'll happily pocket (read not borrow) the extra $2000.

madison12991

Postby madison12991 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:42 pm

feeblemiles wrote:

My dad works at Kaiser and has a killer plan that gives me a maximum of $5 co-pay for just about anything under the sun. I go off the plan next year (when I turn 25) but until then I'll happily pocket (read not borrow) the extra $2000.

Ah, to be under 25 again :)

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I have my military health insurance. 100% free while on active duty then about 1/3 the price of SHIP for better coverage. I do think SHIP is a good deal for those whose parents don't work for Kaiser or don't have veteran's benefits.

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Replies:

# Going with the SHIP (I don't have any other option).
# Purplemonkey and Rotor are absolutely right - CalRentals has exactly the same thing as Craigslist and has 1/4 of the stuff. Not worth $20 by any measure.
# IzziesGal's roll call - I am visiting July 14-17 (to lock down housing) and then probably will make the final move August 3/4.

Public Interest Posts:

* I was initially only going to read Getting to Maybe (as far as LS prep goes) but then decided to check out a primer to the American legal system. I looked up the Lawrence M. Friedman book recommended by the school (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/3589.htm) but subsequent research led me to buy Law 101 by Jay M. Feinman instead. I highly recommend this book to my fellow classmates (y'all). I am enjoying it very much. And I think it will be of immense help even to those with advanced knowledge about the system. 4.5 stars out of 5.

* I have a feeling many of us may want to take a good look at this .pdf that I found at the Berkeley Law website. It's about OCIP at Berkeley. It explains the process in some detail. Unfortunately, I could not locate any data on past OCIP results (shout out to TNP - did you find anything about this?). The appendices listed after the table of contents page are not available - the document does not have the appendices. I think b-line has all the data we may want/need but I think we cannot access b-line until at least November 1st (IDK, just my guess 8) - my email to the CDO about all this went unanswered). I think that's lousy. But in any case, past OCIP data may no longer be good proxies to what may come our way come Fall 2010 (damn, it's not that far away, is it?). For now, I would love to find out what the rising 2L's are doing this Summer. Anyone know anything? Anecdotal stuff?

* For those of us who may not be aware of this yet - here's the rather popular student-run Berkeley law blog. And, yes, the Notorious B.O.A.L.T. with their amazing stuff.

I ask you all to share stuff (abt Berkeley Law, law in general, heck even life's lessons etc.) that you think may be helpful ITT. That way we can all benefit and become closer friends. I am all for 3 and more years of friendship and professional growth.

Best,
TC

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Has anyone been able to figure out exactly how much we're going to be billed by the school for the first semester?

Also, I just applied to waive my SHIP. Anyone else done this yet / planning to?

Got an email reply from the SHIP folks an hour after I wrote to ask about my status. They received it, it meets the criteria and it will be approved. She said that there's a problem with the database at the moment, but those who apply by July 15 and qualify "will have their health insurance fee de-assessed by the next billing cycle."

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm

madison12991 wrote:I know that part of our orientation is having time to get our student ID, but does anyone know whether we can do this before orientation? Given that I'll be there in the first few days of August, it would be nice to be able to use the gym, buses, etc.

http://services.housing.berkeley.edu/c1 ... /index.htm

Sounds like you might be able to get the card, but bus stickers aren't available until the first couple of weeks of school. It also says some services aren't available until fees are paid. Don't know if that means the gyms...

Even if it just sits uselessly in your wallet for a month, the opportunity to avoid the crush of students during orientation is worth it!

unionorganizer02

Postby unionorganizer02 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 pm

madison12991 wrote:
Ah, to be under 25 again :)

+1

unionorganizer02

Postby unionorganizer02 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:28 pm

TopCat wrote:
* I was initially only going to read Getting to Maybe (as far as LS prep goes) but then decided to check out a primer to the American legal system. I looked up the Lawrence M. Friedman book recommended by the school (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/3589.htm) but subsequent research led me to buy Law 101 by Jay M. Feinman instead. I highly recommend this book to my fellow classmates (y'all). I am enjoying it very much. And I think it will be of immense help even to those with advanced knowledge about the system. 4.5 stars out of 5.

I heard about Getting to Maybe as well from a 3L at Boalt. All i know is do not bother reading Law School Confidential. Finished it last month. The author goes provides a copious amount of detail about the move (bring a fan, "set up your war room" i.e. apartment) and common sense stuff like when going out with associates at a law firm (when you're an intern), don't go nuts and order the entire restaurant. He had an interesting system for highlighting cases and writing briefs -- but nothing that you can't get from a 30 minute conversation with a 2L.

unionorganizer02

Postby unionorganizer02 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:32 pm

i'm switching over to apple and purchasing a macbook from the computer store at berkeley (there is student discount). they offer a 3 year service plan, but its for $269. a friend of mine who graduated from boalt said he just took his laptop to the computer lab at the law school and they just fixed it.

worth it?

also thanks for the feedback on the cal-rentals $20 website.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:01 am

Rotor wrote:Even if it just sits uselessly in your wallet for a month, the opportunity to avoid the crush of students during orientation is worth it!

Yay! Just saw on the main campus website that they don't start "Welcome Activities" until Aug 20, so hopefully we won't have to fight through lines of UGs for our IDs and other admin.

Formerbruin

Postby Formerbruin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:17 pm

Rotor wrote:
Rotor wrote:Even if it just sits uselessly in your wallet for a month, the opportunity to avoid the crush of students during orientation is worth it!

Yay! Just saw on the main campus website that they don't start "Welcome Activities" until Aug 20, so hopefully we won't have to fight through lines of UGs for our IDs and other admin.

For IDs you won't. The bus passes, on the other hand, have historically not been available until the undergrads arrive.

trojans09

Postby trojans09 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Already got my ID, already using it for the gym. Go to the registration office (sproul hall) to find out what your 8 digit cal ID is, then go to lower sproul to Cal ID card office with your 8 digit number and they will make you your ID card.

Arrow

Postby Arrow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey everyone,

First of all, happy 4th of July!

I am actually a transfer student, and I was accepted into Boalt a few days and contemplating about going (barring maybe an epic scholarship from my 1L school). Since I am also new to the whole Boalt thing, I found myself here (even though I am technically class of 2011).

I just read though like all 50 pages and you guys have like a wealth of information. Currently, I am thinking of living at I-house (which I think worldtraveler is living, any tips on getting in would be greatly appreciated), but it seems like it is hard to get into (but it is so close though). Manville and Ida are full =\, and Craiglist looks like a mess. Plus I am a little behind on the times. I am currently in LA, and can't really seem to go up there and find housing.

I am actually pretty excited, since everything looks uber fun, plus it is like a month away.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:36 am

Arrow wrote:Hey everyone,

I am actually a transfer student, and I was accepted into Boalt a few days and contemplating about going (barring maybe an epic scholarship from my 1L school). Since I am also new to the whole Boalt thing, I found myself here (even though I am technically class of 2011).

I just read though like all 50 pages and you guys have like a wealth of information. Currently, I am thinking of living at I-house (which I think worldtraveler is living, any tips on getting in would be greatly appreciated), but it seems like it is hard to get into (but it is so close though). Manville and Ida are full =\, and Craiglist looks like a mess. Plus I am a little behind on the times. I am currently in LA, and can't really seem to go up there and find housing.

I am actually pretty excited, since everything looks uber fun, plus it is like a month away.

I think the i-house is full. You could contact them, but they sent out contracts about 3 weeks ago. Not everyone who applied got a spot, so you could try but I don't think they have any rooms left.

As I understand it, they are doing construction this year and some of their rooms are not livable while the construction is going on, so it's probably not a good year for a late application.

Of course, you could just send an e-mail and ask if you can apply. I'm sure they do have people who drop out.

purplebanana

Postby purplebanana » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Arrow wrote:Hey everyone,

I-House is actually not full. I called them and they said they had some spots open. I applied, since that's really where I'd rather be. I completely agree w/ what you said about Craigslist...I'm kind of overwhelmed, and I don't know the area, so it's hard for me to respond to figure out where I'd want to be. I'm going down to Berkeley tomorrow for the day from Seattle (it's going to be crazy) mostly just to get a feel for the school and the area. If anyone has suggestions for what I should do when I'm there, let me know.
--another transfer admit :)

iamlife1001

Postby iamlife1001 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:13 pm

trojans09 wrote:Already got my ID, already using it for the gym. Go to the registration office (sproul hall) to find out what your 8 digit cal ID is, then go to lower sproul to Cal ID card office with your 8 digit number and they will make you your ID card.

can you rent a locker in the gym, and if yes, do you know how that works? I read something about it but first hand experience is always better :)

also how is the gym?

iamlife1001

Postby iamlife1001 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:17 pm

my landlady doesn't allow any cooking, which is fine b/c the room is within breathing distance of the school, and I was thinking about buying into the schools meal plan. Anyone has any experience with this and is it worth it. It is 2200 for the year and it covers ~10 meals a week.

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:34 pm

purplebanana wrote:If anyone has suggestions for what I should do when I'm there, let me know.
--another transfer admit :)

Walk down College a bit from campus (if you walk more than 5 blocks you'll get past the frats and UG dorms I promise) and also stroll around North Berkeley, I highly recommend Cheese Board. Berkeley is full of really great neighborhoods, many of them are near/nearish to campus.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”