Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
alleycat3

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby alleycat3 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks, guys. I feel better that other people are confused too-- the website has a great discription of the LRAP but that's about the only useful thing on there. Amy, I'm 99% sure that their aid app is the one we filled out with the application... I certainly can't find any other type of application.

At least if we're missing something, everyone's missing something! How hard would it be for them to stick up some FAQs or a checklist? Grr.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 pm

I don't have the admission packet handy, but I think it said in the letter that those are the 3 things required. (It was page 6 of the application if you want to check your file copy)

As for the tax returns, I think the DOEd requires that they audit a certain number of FAFSAs to ensure accuracy of submissions. Maybe UCB only requests them after the fact for those who have been selected rather than putting us all through the pain.

alleycat3

Postby alleycat3 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Rotor wrote:I don't have the admission packet handy, but I think it said in the letter that those are the 3 things required. (It was page 6 of the application if you want to check your file copy)

As for the tax returns, I think the DOEd requires that they audit a certain number of FAFSAs to ensure accuracy of submissions. Maybe UCB only requests them after the fact for those who have been selected rather than putting us all through the pain.

You're right, it does say that. I was trying to do it on my lunch break and assumed all the info would be on the website... but I guess not. Thanks. Does anyone else have problems with the right sidebar on the website? When I hover over it, the links all disappear. I feel like I'm playing a 90s era computer game and trying to click the link before it goes away!

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I am officially in, as of today!!!!!! I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

dank4284

Postby dank4284 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I am officially in, as of today!!!!!! I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!

masterpinky0509

Postby masterpinky0509 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 pm

When did you guys get your admissions packet with all the info? I was notified of acceptance about 2 weeks ago via email but haven't gotten anything yet.

Adrian

Postby Adrian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Masterpinky:
You will receive your packet almost any day now. Mine took exactly two weeks and I live in Texas.

Everyone:
Has anyone made their final commitment to Berkeley yet, via: email, mail, or fax? I am just curious because I feel that I am about to make that decision even though I haven't heard back from a few schools (NYU, Columbia, and Harvard and I don't expect Harvard at all because I didn't get that interview so whatever).

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:26 pm

I was just admitted today out of the Faculty Committee. Now I have a tough choice!

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:05 pm

In today via email. Off of the 1st round of Faculty Committee.

My pleasure, and honor, to be here. I hope to see most of you guys during ASD.

Meanwhile, how good is Berkeley with finaid? The viewbook they sent earlier claims 89% receives some sort of finaid and that their "bottom line" is: "if we accept you, we'll make it possible for you to attend Berkeley Law." I will really need them to honor that claim. Anyone with any info about this?

roguebear

Postby roguebear » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Hey Everyone. I got in last month to berkeley but haven't had a chance to come back and share the good news. I'm not sure if I'm going to come or not, but its definitely at the top of the list of my acceptances till now.

Anyone else go to berkeley undergrad that got into the boalt? I'm trying to decide how I'd like having to spend 7 years in berkeley. I love the place to death, but it might be nice to try out a new place for a while, especially since I'm living in the bay area now too. anyone else have the same dilemma?

Also, anyone else going to do a non ASD visit to berkeley? Since NU is the same day I figure I should check out somewhere I've never been instead of berkeley, but I was hoping to meet some of my possible future classmates too. If anyone wants to plan out an impromptu backup ASD I'd be very interested :D

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Me and my hubby will be making the trip for the 4/3 ASW. Still can't believe it.

And Topcat, I hear ya about financial aid. I'm terrified that getting a private loan will be harder than getting admission to Boalt. Oh my god...we're going to Boalt!!!!

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Grats everyone! See you in April.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:49 am

Did you guys just email the general admitted students address to request to stay with a student?

Also, is anyone elses flight kind of cooky? Mine is crazy long.

ddp

Postby ddp » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I am officially in, as of today!!!!!! I'll be seeing you guys in the fall. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats izziesgal!!! I know how much you wanted this!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:54 pm

ddp wrote:

I already feel like the Class of 2012 outsider :-\

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm

ddp wrote:

Thanks! I was a bit obsessed....

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
ddp wrote:

Thanks! Both TopCat and I were a bit obsessed....

fixed.

To those future TLS'ers who will be obsessing over this year's Berkeley threads during the 2010 application cycle, here's my advice:

1) Of course, make sure you write a stellar 3-4 pages PS, get great LOR's, blah blah etc. et al but, more importantly,
2) If you find yourself in the Faculty Committee, either open up a support group thread or participate in such a thread so much that you become an obsessive maniac.
3) Change your tar just the day or two before you *feel* that the decisions are going to be in.

#3 is very important. I got in just by virtue of #3.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 pm

TopCat wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
ddp wrote:

Thanks! Both TopCat and I were a bit obsessed....

fixed.

To those future TLS'ers who will be obsessing over this year's Berkeley threads during the 2010 application cycle, here's my advice:

1) Of course, make sure you write a stellar 3-4 pages PS, get great LOR's, blah blah etc. et al but, more importantly,
2) If you find yourself in the Faculty Committee, either open up a support group thread or participate in such a thread so much that you become an obsessive maniac.
3) Change your tar just the day or two before you *feel* that the decisions are going to be in.

#3 is very important. I got in just by virtue of #3.

LMAO. I think this was the golden ticket for me, too. I went from gerber daisies to Sarah Palin and I got in. Clearly my acceptance had nothing to do with my actual packet, but with my avatar selecting skills.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm

P.S --- I've officially withdrawn my Penn and Gtown applications!!!! I am slowly withdrawing everything, so as to free up seats for others...but not gonna lie, it's a scary feeling!!

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

IzziesGal wrote:P.S --- I've officially withdrawn my Penn and Gtown applications!!!! I am slowly withdrawing everything, so as to free up seats for others...but not gonna lie, it's a scary feeling!!

I am pretty sure I wil be at Berkeley this fall but still I don't want to withdraw some of my top offers (and apps) until I hear something about financial aid. I did withdraw from 4 schools (with $$$ offers too) yesterday. It was a heavy feeling.

Adrian

Postby Adrian » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Yeah I have only withdrawn from UT but I am awaiting top 14's incase I get a scholarship offer from them since Berkeley has a matching scholarship program; I am being a bit hesitant. I want to see what Duke gives me even though I know there is no way I would end up in North Carolina, I just want to see if Berkeley will match it like they said they might in that packet I received.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 am

irishlaw wrote:One of my concerns about Berkeley is the reputation it has for being super liberal. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Politically I'd consider myself a moderate, and while I don't mind clashing with other people's opinions (I quite enjoy it), I don't want an aura of liberal groupthink so pervasive that it has me changing the way I write out my exams in order to get a better grade from my professor.

I am more conservative, and have conservative work experience all over my resume. My friends are coming up with all types of jokes about me being in a place known for being so liberal. But Scalia had two clerks from Berkeley....so we're good. Everything will be okay. :D

jillbrooks

Postby jillbrooks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Adrian wrote:Masterpinky:
You will receive your packet almost any day now. Mine took exactly two weeks and I live in Texas.

Everyone:
Has anyone made their final commitment to Berkeley yet, via: email, mail, or fax? I am just curious because I feel that I am about to make that decision even though I haven't heard back from a few schools (NYU, Columbia, and Harvard and I don't expect Harvard at all because I didn't get that interview so whatever).

I made the final decision several weeks ago and withdrew from all other schools. So definitely headed to Berkeley and couldn't be more excited about it.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:04 pm

If anyone is interested in seeing less touristy parts of SF before or after ASD, I'd be happy to show people the Mission, etc. I'd also be happy to meet up for drinks once people arrive.

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:13 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:If anyone is interested in seeing less touristy parts of SF before or after ASD, I'd be happy to show people the Mission, etc. I'd also be happy to meet up for drinks once people arrive.

Count me in bilbo. Thanks for the offer. I just know one person from there and that guy is in Texas these days so my only contacts so far are e-friends from TLS.

I am planning to fly in Thursday evening-ish (whatever the travel agency can find) and return Sunday mid-morning.

Besides the ASD and meeting with you guys, I am thinking of scouting the area for a decent and reasonably priced 1bdrm apartment. If I settle on Berkeley (which is at 97.85% probable right now 8) ), my fiancee will be moving with me (all the way from NYC) and I want something within 10-15 mins walking distance from the BART station and from Boalt Hall. IDK if this is achievable, though. Maybe the locals can give me pointers about this when I get there?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”