Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
trojans09

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by trojans09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 pm

That kinda sounds what UCBs is like. I would say there's plenty of other great options on housing to really consider a co-op, not really the environment for intense studying of law.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Personally, I would steer clear of most of the co-ops as a law student.

Also, housing can be found for the same cost as listed if you get roommates.

Edit: By roommates I don't mean sharing the same bedroom.
Last edited by bilbobaggins on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm curious to hear from people on Berkeley vs. Stanford since I'm pretty decided on the bay. I seem to be completely failing at coming up with tangible reason on how Stanford is better other than lay prestige. Am I missing something???

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm

trojans09 wrote:I'm curious to hear from people on Berkeley vs. Stanford since I'm pretty decided on the bay. I seem to be completely failing at coming up with tangible reason on how Stanford is better other than lay prestige. Am I missing something???
Palo alto and berkeley are different. That might be something to take into consideration.

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:54 pm

jacktripper wrote:
trojans09 wrote:I'm curious to hear from people on Berkeley vs. Stanford since I'm pretty decided on the bay. I seem to be completely failing at coming up with tangible reason on how Stanford is better other than lay prestige. Am I missing something???
Palo alto and berkeley are different. That might be something to take into consideration.
See this a huge edge to Berk for me, as a young person I'd much rather be close to SF in a lively city than the middle of suburbia, academically the schools seem equal, and reputationwise in Cali they seem equal from my talks with lawyers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

I lived in PA, now live in SF and have several friends in Berkeley and this is my take on it:

Berkeley Pros:
More restaurants/bars/stores
Less dominance of chains (which makes a lot of stuff cheaper)
BART accessible- which means 20-35 minutes and you're in SF
Very, very easy to live there and not own a car
Alternative, intellectual vibe

Berkeley Cons:
More expensive to live
More homeless people
Higher crime rate

PA Pros:
Pristine town and campus
Relatively cheap renting for the Bay Area
High-end shopping

PA Cons:
Pretty characterless
Lots of yuppies
Most places to eat/drink are expensive and sports bar-like
Pretty much have to have a car to go anywhere besides downtown PA
Or...you have to take Caltrain, which sucks on weekends and during non-commute times. A "fast" train will drop you in downtown SF in like 35 minutes, slow ones take an hour. The trains also stop running pretty early

danrocksout

New

Post by danrocksout » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Does anyone think I have a chance of getting any scholarship from Berkeley? Chicago gave me 36k.

Also, I'm 168/3.68/URM.

Thanks!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 pm

This is the first time I've ever been able to truly support a college sports team in a real tournament. Go Cal!

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:This is the first time I've ever been able to truly support a college sports team in a real tournament. Go Cal!
The first half wasn't pretty (not for either team.) Somehow though they're hanging in there. If they can make some 3s in the 2nd half I think they can pull off a win. UMD is pretty dangerous though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 am

danrocksout wrote:Does anyone think I have a chance of getting any scholarship from Berkeley? Chicago gave me 36k.

Also, I'm 168/3.68/URM.

Thanks!
If they don't just use the matching program silly.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:45 am

bilbobaggins wrote:Berkeley Cons:
More homeless people
Higher crime rate
I'm from NYC. Can anyone touch on whether Berkeley is better, worse, or the same? In NY homelessness is so prevalent that there is a separate homeless culture that exists with its own set of rules and morals. Apparently you can steal a guy's briefcase while he's asleep but can't steal a woman's purse.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 am

anotherme

New

Post by anotherme » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 am

yay berkeley class of '12!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:26 am

Kohinoor wrote:
More homeless people
Higher crime rate
I'm from NYC. Can anyone touch on whether Berkeley is better, worse, or the same? In NY homelessness is so prevalent that there is a separate homeless culture that exists with its own set of rules and morals. Apparently you can steal a guy's briefcase while he's asleep but can't steal a woman's purse.
I also live in NYC and have friends that live in Berkeley. The couple that have come out here to visit say the homeless problem is worse in NYC. I agree, but that does not mean that Berkeley does not have a homeless problem of course. It's relative.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:29 am

Kohinoor wrote:
danrocksout wrote:Does anyone think I have a chance of getting any scholarship from Berkeley? Chicago gave me 36k.

Also, I'm 168/3.68/URM.

Thanks!
If they don't just use the matching program silly.
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think matching is guaranteed.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 pm

mijahe wrote:Don't quote me on this, but I don't think matching is guaranteed.

I like to be a rebel.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:08 pm

LOL. Well played.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

astathop85

New

Post by astathop85 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:13 pm

ja[size=150][size=150][/size][/size]cktripper wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
More homeless people
Higher crime rate
I also live in NYC and have friends that live in Berkeley. The couple that have come out here to visit say the homeless problem is worse in NYC. I agree, but that does not mean that Berkeley does not have a homeless problem of course. It's relative.
I live in Berkeley - went here for undergrad and plan to start at Boalt in the fall... and in my opinion, the homeless problem really isn't that bad. There ARE alot of homeless people around, but most of them are harmless and they're kindof like eccentric neighbors - on my block, there's a homeless person who plays the saxophone, a guy who juggles, and another guy named "Rich" who will share conspiracy theories in exchange for a coffee. Like I said, not that bad. :D

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:49 pm

This may be helpful for those of you hoping to establish CA residency:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =4&t=64807

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 am

Berkeley just shocked me and I might be joining you guys in the fall. I'm still trying to figure out scholarships and negotiate financial aid, but I might just be going back to the bay area!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:14 am

With the ASD approaching, I thought it odd we hadn't yet received a packet with detail of the whens, wheres, etc., so I called yesterday. In addition to coming away even more impressed with the folks running business there at Boalt, I found out the package was ready to be sent, but there was an issue with the mailserver and they couldn't get it out yesterday. If all goes as planned, we should see it on Monday. (It's break for the students, not for the administrators).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:31 pm

I think the homeless issue is overblown, but I was hard pressed to come up with any other cons.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:11 pm

This is totally unrelated but....

Berkeley's radio station KALX rox! --LinkRemoved--

And here's another Cali station that plays similar music with less talk: http://www.kcrw.com/

Enjoy!

iamlife1001

New

Post by iamlife1001 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:06 am

just get the F out of here you pathetic little man

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 am

For what its worth that was not my experience when I visited with some Berkeley 1Ls a few weeks ago. They genuinely felt like they had come to the best law school in the country. They weren't delusional about its ranking or in saying anything bad about other schools, but they argued that the campus was so friendly and supportive that they are all really glad they chose Berkeley. (One of them mentioned a friend of theirs turning down Yale to go to Berkeley and being happy with the choice.)

Maybe it was all BS, but I was buying most of it. Are there students that feel like Stanford rejects? I'm sure there are. The students I was with mentioned friends they had at several other T14s that were not loving the competitive adversarial environment they found themselves in. I left feeling like Berkeley, while perhaps not the best school in the T14, is perhaps the best choice in the T14 (for me at least).

Besides... I got rejected at Stanford. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”