Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
unionorganizer02

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by unionorganizer02 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:12 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
legends159 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I just officially committed to Berkeley. :shock: It's a weird feeling to know that this long process is finally over. I secretly thought I would be languishing on waitlists somewhere.

I hope I see all of you in the fall! I wish I could make it to ASD, but have an awesome time without me!
Yay wt!! HOPEFULLY I will join you next year!
how are you working out the bf situation?
Unsure....sigh. His situation is more stressful to me than law school admissions. He'll hear later in april at to whether he got the job in NY. If not, Berkeley it is for me.
I can feel your pain. My wife got into all of the schools she applied to for the Masters in Public Policy Program. Berkeley however is not giving her any money, while Princeton Woodrow Wilson is offering a full ride plus hefty living stipend. I still haven't heard from the east coast schools.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Drake014 wrote:
kguilf99 wrote:Can we keep talking about this need-based grant business? On Bearfacts I don't see anything about a need-based grant, so I called the financial aid office to ask if it could still be forthcoming, but she was pretty confident that the decision has already been made that I don't qualify for need-based aid. Which doesn't make any sense to me because I'm not coming from a wealthy background at all. I've been out of undergrad and working full time for 2 years, but I owe more money in UG loans than I have in savings. The financial aid woman said I don't qualify as an independent because I haven't been financially independent from my parents for five years. So my parents' income and assests are figured into the need assessment as well, but my parents' don't have money either! My mom makes 50K a year and my dad makes around 30K in VA disability and social security.

Does it sound right that I wouldn't qualify for a need-based grant? Are other people that have been denied need-based grants in similar finanical situations?
Unfortunately, it does sound right. My fiance will be 30 by December of 2012, so she qualifies as independent of her parents. She made $8k in 2008, no assets or savings. They're still only giving her $23k in grants and 20k in loans... leaving a balance of around $15k.
Sounds right. And you may not believe this, but an 80k combined income isn't that low. That is probably the reason you got no grants.

This thread may not be representative but law school grants are pretty rare. It's the norm not to get one.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:34 pm

So any word on scholarships yet (as opposed to grants)? Anyone get one?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 pm

TopCat wrote:So any word on scholarships yet (as opposed to grants)? Anyone get one?
The scholarship committee meets next week.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
TopCat wrote:So any word on scholarships yet (as opposed to grants)? Anyone get one?
Got it. Thanks, Kohinoor [and you should definitely choose Berkeley over your other options :) ].

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
How do you know? Does this mean that I should definitely have my matching form in by then as opposed to waiting for an initial offer? Is anyone else waiting to send it? Haha sorry, mini freak out.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:53 am

southernlady wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
How do you know? Does this mean that I should definitely have my matching form in by then as opposed to waiting for an initial offer? Is anyone else waiting to send it? Haha sorry, mini freak out.
I asked. Yes you should definitely send it instead of waiting.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm

mallen210 wrote:I have an email address! It's so official now!

...and can I just say... I love that my email address is just my name@berkeley.edu! So much easier than ma84673636474837748abcde@undergraduateinstution.edu!
Where did you learn about the email address?

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:39 am

feeblemiles wrote:
mallen210 wrote:I have an email address! It's so official now!

...and can I just say... I love that my email address is just my name@berkeley.edu! So much easier than ma84673636474837748abcde@undergraduateinstution.edu!
Where did you learn about the email address?
They say roughly 10 business days after you definitely commit to attending Berkeley you can go to calmail.berkeley.edu and create an email account. You will have permission to create one if these requirements are met.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:37 am

admitted students weekend has been great so far. last night was the diversity dinner. very "chill" atmosphere (i was the only one wearing a tie). Dean Edley as well as his wife who works with unions and in my field of interest -- labor law. i couldn't help feel old. most of the new admits i met graduated college in 05, 06, 07. I graduated in 02! afterwards, people hung out at this pool hall and i met ken from TLS, amyLAchemist, and two other TLS folks who wouldn't reveal their screen names. like what i have seen so far. the boalt students i met seemed like good people.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:44 am

Ken wins for the best shirt. Good times were had by all.

Go Bears!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:37 am

Greetings and salutations all! I missed the TLS meetup so I just walked around on friday with Kohinoor on my nametag. It was good to meet those of you that recognized the name. ASW was quite fun indeed, and, while my decision was made a long time ago, I hope it brought the rest of you closer to a decision. My reflections:
  • I spent the lunch hour walking the neighborhood to get a feel for it. The homeless problem is absolutely not as bad as New York. Not even close. I'm not sure if people count the street vendors as homeless or what, but I feel that the issue has been greatly exaggerated.

The stores seem par for the course for an urban college town (every ethnic eatery, Hot Topic, Urban Outfitters, I'm sure there's an Anthropologie somewhere), though the architecture of most storefronts fails to impress.

You cannot just wave your hand and grab a taxi in Berkeley because there are like none. You have to call one.

I'll definitely join a journal.

It would be nice to see what the campus looks like sans construction.

I have heard very varied reports about the Manville apartments. From awful to ok.

Definitely got a sense of the... unusual nature of Berkeley betweem the Women in Black protesters and the drumming circle nearby.

If you're the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people and got the response "Yeah, it's called Boalt", your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP!
Last edited by Kohinoor on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 am

I am about to leave my hotel now for the airport. I missed all of the TLS meetups, too. I spent Friday at Bay Street shops in Emeryville (loved it). This weekend was AMAZING. It only confirmed how much I love Berkeley. Joining CARC and a journal in the fall. The students (new admits and current students) were so open and friendly. I think there was one moment where I stood alone for about 20 seconds before someone came up to me and introduced themselves. I met a lot of really awesome people with incredible backgrounds...can't wait for August!! Hope everyone else had just as good an experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Also sorry to have missed the meetup. The ASD was awesome though!
Kohinoor wrote: If you're the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people and got the response "Yeah, it's called Boalt", your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP![/list]
Man I think I saw that guy at dook too. I was also on that tour but didn't see anyone with a Kohinoor name tag.

Also, if anyone didn't go to that paying for lawschool talk and is wondering about a matching scholarship, he said that the matching scholarship was more funded this year than last and that last year about 40% who applied received a matching scholarship.

Go_Cardinals

New

Post by Go_Cardinals » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:30 pm

so have the matching offers already gone out? email/mail ?

heyyitskatie

New

Post by heyyitskatie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Greetings and salutations all! I missed the TLS meetup so I just walked around on friday with Kohinoor on my nametag. It was good to meet those of you that recognized the name. ASW was quite fun indeed, and, while my decision was made a long time ago, I hope it brought the rest of you closer to a decision. [/list]
I'm sorry to have missed the TLS meetup, too! I was, instead, at the library until 2 am.

Some thoughts:

It's been awhile since I felt like the least accomplished kid in the room. I'll use it as inspiration.

I didn't actually think structurally, the ASD was that good (ex. the mock law school class was interesting, but I didn't get to learn a ton about the school, no time for small groups with the career center, trying to talk the financial aid people was a nightmare, the financial aid presentation itself was worthless), but I think the reception, student journal/association fair, and the career panel made up for it.

I felt really young as someone who is still in undergrad. I'm glad I'm deferring...I think I'll need the year.

Everyone I met was very friendly (of course), but I'm not sure if I saw a niche for me there. I don't belong to belong to an cultural/sexuality oriented identity group, I'm not going into IP or environmental law, etc...am I too old to worry about belonging?

It kind of seems like the "we aren't competitive, we're always friendly and never neurotic" is played to a level where it can be tough to truly get to know your classmates because they are hiding under a facade of how one "should" act at Boalt. Maybe this is too skeptical.

That'll be it for now :)

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:09 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Greetings and salutations all! I missed the TLS meetup so I just walked around on friday with Kohinoor on my nametag. It was good to meet those of you that recognized the name. ASW was quite fun indeed, and, while my decision was made a long time ago, I hope it brought the rest of you closer to a decision. [/list]
I'm sorry to have missed the TLS meetup, too! I was, instead, at the library until 2 am.

Some thoughts:

It's been awhile since I felt like the least accomplished kid in the room. I'll use it as inspiration.

I didn't actually think structurally, the ASD was that good (ex. the mock law school class was interesting, but I didn't get to learn a ton about the school, no time for small groups with the career center, trying to talk the financial aid people was a nightmare, the financial aid presentation itself was worthless), but I think the reception, student journal/association fair, and the career panel made up for it.

I felt really young as someone who is still in undergrad. I'm glad I'm deferring...I think I'll need the year.

Everyone I met was very friendly (of course), but I'm not sure if I saw a niche for me there. I don't belong to belong to an cultural/sexuality oriented identity group, I'm not going into IP or environmental law, etc...am I too old to worry about belonging?

It kind of seems like the "we aren't competitive, we're always friendly and never neurotic" is played to a level where it can be tough to truly get to know your classmates because they are hiding under a facade of how one "should" act at Boalt. Maybe this is too skeptical.

That'll be it for now :)
Agreed. I went to a good undergrad but was never impressed by the collective intellect of my peers. Berk seems to be on another level.

I liked the programming I saw but the segues were a bit rough.

I, like most students, am only about a year out. You would only be about two years younger than everyone. Not a big deal imo.

Just assume that everyone is getting top grades no matter how ditzy they act. I def will.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Son of Cicero

Bronze

Post by Son of Cicero » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 pm

heyyitskatie wrote:It kind of seems like the "we aren't competitive, we're always friendly and never neurotic" is played to a level where it can be tough to truly get to know your classmates because they are hiding under a facade of how one "should" act at Boalt. Maybe this is too skeptical.
No, your intuitions are right. A majority of my classmates were almost intolerable with their anal retentiveness last semester. Maybe this attitude is more discouraged at Boalt, which causes the neurotic tendencies people brought with them to be eventually lost or muted (everyone already seems more laid-back after having a semester under their belts), but at least early on, you are not going to find a different type of student here from the ones you will be taking classes with at any comparable school.

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:21 pm

My review, pluses and minuses i discovered which I could only know by actually going:

:?
The ASD Events and overall organization: It sucked, NYU's was way better. I could have planned a better ASD in 10 minutes. I'm not going to a school for ASDs though so whatever, it just could have been much better.
Financial Aid: They just don't give merit aid, if you can't prove need they are not inclined to give you anything, this is the impression I got. While it's disappointing to not get merit money after getting it from other T14s, I understand where Berk is coming from. While I was at first frustrated, I realized many people need $ way more than me, so its all good.

:D
The people: Berkeley clearly does not admit based on numbers. The people were by far the coolest students I've met at an ASD. Lots of laid back people and people who did not seem self-centered, just like they said. Cool students as well. I think that this factor is helping and will continue to help Berk rise in the ranks.
The weather: My favorite part of ASD was just laying on the grass and watching people walk by on campus, it's so nice outside and it will let me relax while in a stressful environment. This compared to walking in NYU snow to a room that is overheated to 90 degrees to compensate for the cold.

Conclusion: Berkeley did a terrible job at selling, but the environment freaking sells itself! I'm ready to make my firm commitment to Berk, see some of you guys in the fall!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:41 pm

ASD was just ok until I started hanging out with students. Then it was a lot of fun.

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people
Hah! I was "the guy" (since the tour was becoming unbearably boring at that point). As for "your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP!".... who writes your material?..a schizophrenic FOB?

Too bad you missed the meetup tho. It happened to be where another Boalt thing was happening so some friends and I bumped into the TLS people. Ken was probably one of the nicest, most genuine people I have had the pleasure of speaking with. He was, by far, the best sell for Boalt of the whole trip (as others have said, Boalt was definately not so great at selling the school during the events).
dank4284 wrote:I think I saw that guy at dook too
...I guess you mean Duke..and nah..wasn't there..

Seriously though, anyone else on that tour notice that Boalt was clearly not designed to handle more than 5 people in the halls at a time? We completely abused that place with our hideously large group

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:59 pm

UnknownElementX wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people
Hah! I was "the guy" (since the tour was becoming unbearably boring at that point). As for "your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP!".... who writes your material?..a schizophrenic FOB?
Actually, I lift my material directly from the hit NBC sitcom 30 Rock.
Patrice: Oh Melissa. Your face is on the phone. Soccer practice is over and you need to pick it up.
Liz: Alright that’s a pretty good burn, Patrice.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:04 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:ASD was just ok until I started hanging out with students. Then it was a lot of fun.
Definitely agree. I only started having a good time when I met some of the people on one of the journals and spent most of the rest of the day tagging along with them. That and leaving the lunch meet-and-greet to walk around the area were the best decisions I made that day. It's not that the other OLs weren't interesting, but statistically many of them won't even matriculate to Berkeley and of the ones that do, you're not going to be friends with the people you made small talk with on ASW so it seemed a bit pointless to me. Now the current students, they have a wealth of information and experiences.

UnknownElementX

New

Post by UnknownElementX » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:05 pm

hah.. well then you are completely absolved...
30 Rock is definitely schizophrenic as it is sometimes witty and other times written by the pulped grey matter of an inebriated baboon with ADHD.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:07 pm

trojans09 wrote:My review, pluses and minuses i discovered which I could only know by actually going:

:?
The ASD Events and overall organization: It sucked, NYU's was way better. I could have planned a better ASD in 10 minutes. I'm not going to a school for ASDs though so whatever, it just could have been much better.
Financial Aid: They just don't give merit aid, if you can't prove need they are not inclined to give you anything, this is the impression I got. While it's disappointing to not get merit money after getting it from other T14s, I understand where Berk is coming from. While I was at first frustrated, I realized many people need $ way more than me, so its all good.
Even if Berkeley doesn't offer merit aid, which I'm not sure is the case (the scholarship committee is only now convening), wouldn't their willingness to match the offers of peer schools make their program functionally identical to a school that does offer merit aid? Just get em to match!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”