Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
trojans09

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by trojans09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:10 pm

The matching process factors in need.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:19 pm

trojans09 wrote:The matching process factors in need.
Are you sure?
Am I guaranteed a Matching Scholarship if I apply for one? What are the selection criteria?
This is a competitive, merit-based scholarship program.

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Read the entire form, they place strong emphasis on need.

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:29 pm

trojans09 wrote:My review, pluses and minuses i discovered which I could only know by actually going:

:?
The ASD Events and overall organization: It sucked, NYU's was way better. I could have planned a better ASD in 10 minutes. I'm not going to a school for ASDs though so whatever, it just could have been much better.
Financial Aid: They just don't give merit aid, if you can't prove need they are not inclined to give you anything, this is the impression I got. While it's disappointing to not get merit money after getting it from other T14s, I understand where Berk is coming from. While I was at first frustrated, I realized many people need $ way more than me, so its all good.

:D
The people: Berkeley clearly does not admit based on numbers. The people were by far the coolest students I've met at an ASD. Lots of laid back people and people who did not seem self-centered, just like they said. Cool students as well. I think that this factor is helping and will continue to help Berk rise in the ranks.
The weather: My favorite part of ASD was just laying on the grass and watching people walk by on campus, it's so nice outside and it will let me relax while in a stressful environment. This compared to walking in NYU snow to a room that is overheated to 90 degrees to compensate for the cold.

Conclusion: Berkeley did a terrible job at selling, but the environment freaking sells itself! I'm ready to make my firm commitment to Berk, see some of you guys in the fall!
+1

Fire drill and all, the ASD wasn't all that...

HOWEVER! The students...! So cool, so friendly, and so laid back. I didn't get competitiveness or egotism even slightly!

Boalt students + Bay weather = SOLD!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 pm

mallen210 wrote:HOWEVER! The students...! So cool, so friendly, and so laid back. I didn't get competitiveness or egotism even slightly!
In the airport on my way to ASW I sat near a Boalt admit and another law student who loudly compared acceptances, gpas and LSATs. The jury is out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trojans09

New

Post by trojans09 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
mallen210 wrote:HOWEVER! The students...! So cool, so friendly, and so laid back. I didn't get competitiveness or egotism even slightly!
In the airport on my way to ASW I sat near a Boalt admit and another law student who loudly compared acceptances, gpas and LSATs. The jury is out.
Those people will be attending CCN, don't worry about it :o

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:ASD was just ok until I started hanging out with students. Then it was a lot of fun.
+1

dank4284

New

Post by dank4284 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:50 pm

UnknownElementX wrote:
dank4284 wrote:I think I saw that guy at dook too
...I guess you mean Duke..and nah..wasn't there..
My bad, I thought you were someone else.

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:02 am

trojans09 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Those people will be attending CCN, don't worry about it :o
YEP! +1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:15 am

Kohinoor wrote: I have heard very varied reports about the Manville apartments. From awful to ok.
FWIW, I checked out one 3L's Manville studio and it was awesome. $950/month for a room, kitchen (sink, countertop, cabinet, stove), water, electricity, cable TV + internet. The room had a bed, dresser, desk & medium-sized TV, yet it felt roomy (like 10 people were in the room and there was still room for more).

Disclaimer: I live in Manhattan so my opinion may be biased since apartments in NYC suck! You should check Manville out for yourselvs if you have any doubts.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:18 am

Kohinoor wrote:The homeless problem is absolutely not as bad as New York. Not even close. I'm not sure if people count the street vendors as homeless or what, but I feel that the issue has been greatly exaggerated.
+1

mallen210

New

Post by mallen210 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:34 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:The homeless problem is absolutely not as bad as New York. Not even close. I'm not sure if people count the street vendors as homeless or what, but I feel that the issue has been greatly exaggerated.
+1
+2

...Or in DC!

In Berkeley, they sing, play instruments, and compliment your Banana Republic messenger bag.

In DC, they loudly curse at you and then at themselves.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:59 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote: I have heard very varied reports about the Manville apartments. From awful to ok.
FWIW, I checked out one 3L's Manville studio and it was awesome. $950/month for a room, kitchen (sink, countertop, cabinet, stove), water, electricity, cable TV + internet. The room had a bed, dresser, desk & medium-sized TV, yet it felt roomy (like 10 people were in the room and there was still room for more).

Disclaimer: I live in Manhattan so my opinion may be biased since apartments in NYC suck! You should check Manville out for yourselvs if you have any doubts.
It sucks that there's not a single picture available. I'd love to not have to fly over there again just to poke my head into a room so I can apply. I checked the floor plans for my undergrad dorms and Manville units are about 1.5x as large, but yea, I have a bad feeling about signing something without even getting a look at the apartments.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mr.smurf

New

Post by mr.smurf » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:01 am

mallen210 wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
+1
+2

...Or in DC!

In Berkeley, they sing, play instruments, and compliment your Banana Republic messenger bag.

In DC, they loudly curse at you and then at themselves.
Thank you all for actually being reasonable. I do not know why it has become so exaggerated.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:05 pm

UnknownElementX wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people
Hah! I was "the guy" (since the tour was becoming unbearably boring at that point). As for "your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP!".... who writes your material?..a schizophrenic FOB?

Too bad you missed the meetup tho. It happened to be where another Boalt thing was happening so some friends and I bumped into the TLS people. Ken was probably one of the nicest, most genuine people I have had the pleasure of speaking with. He was, by far, the best sell for Boalt of the whole trip (as others have said, Boalt was definately not so great at selling the school during the events).

Seriously though, anyone else on that tour notice that Boalt was clearly not designed to handle more than 5 people in the halls at a time? We completely abused that place with our hideously large group
As a minority, I often hear someone asking why minorities need clubs. The response you got was actually pretty good. At most colleges there are numerous clubs that are all white. They're not so in name, just in activity and composition.

With that said, I'm disappointed in the minority organizations that don't at least officially welcome all students. For doing that, I give La Raza props. Yes, their organization is comprised of only hispanics right now (from looking at the pictures of their membership), but they write in numerous places they accept all people and their representative at the school seemed serious when he asked non-hispanics to come learn more about them and consider membership. Consequently, I'm probably more likely to join them than the specific minority group I'm classified in.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Drake014 wrote:
UnknownElementX wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:the guy who asked if there was a club for white, middle-class people
Hah! I was "the guy" (since the tour was becoming unbearably boring at that point). As for "your face called... soccer practice is over and you need TAH PICK IT UP!".... who writes your material?..a schizophrenic FOB?

Too bad you missed the meetup tho. It happened to be where another Boalt thing was happening so some friends and I bumped into the TLS people. Ken was probably one of the nicest, most genuine people I have had the pleasure of speaking with. He was, by far, the best sell for Boalt of the whole trip (as others have said, Boalt was definately not so great at selling the school during the events).

Seriously though, anyone else on that tour notice that Boalt was clearly not designed to handle more than 5 people in the halls at a time? We completely abused that place with our hideously large group
As a minority, I often hear someone asking why minorities need clubs. The response you got was actually pretty good. At most colleges there are numerous clubs that are all white. They're not so in name, just in activity and composition.

With that said, I'm disappointed in the minority organizations that don't at least officially welcome all students. For doing that, I give La Raza props. Yes, their organization is comprised of only hispanics right now (from looking at the pictures of their membership), but they write in numerous places they accept all people and their representative at the school seemed serious when he asked non-hispanics to come learn more about them and consider membership. Consequently, I'm probably more likely to join them than the specific minority group I'm classified in.
I spent a while hanging out with some of the members of the black journal. A white guy came by interested in joining and they were extremely welcoming. I was very impressed by all parties involved.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:36 pm

I actually enjoyed the ASD even though it wasn't all it probably could have been. Most of the quantitative info I had already read on their website or from the info you can pick up around here. But more than the facts, I got a great feel from the potential classmates, the upper class and (probably most importantly) the faculty/administration. You can't fake sense of humor, but speed dating, mudwrestling and the witty recovery from the fire alarm all made me feel like they all really like what they do. That will be very important in teaching us to like it to!

Had a great time at the meet up, but even more so at dinner after ASD with a smaller group of TLSers. Even though my wife thinks I'm TLS-crazy, at least she now understands there are some good people at the other end of the net.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:38 pm

So for some of the straight-out-of-undergrad people that went to the ASD, did you feel like you will be out of place at Berkeley? Did it seem that the students were generally a bit older with different interests than you? For instance, were they more family-oriented and less likely to go to a bar review or other social event? Just curious.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:28 pm

southernlady wrote:So for some of the straight-out-of-undergrad people that went to the ASD, did you feel like you will be out of place at Berkeley? Did it seem that the students were generally a bit older with different interests than you? For instance, were they more family-oriented and less likely to go to a bar review or other social event? Just curious.
It is impossible to tell the difference on sight between straight out of undergrad and a few years out. Most people are only 1-2 years out and their (our) interests are identical to yours.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:33 pm

The chief of staff for Dean Edley told me that Boalt actually gets 30% of its funding from the state, not the 3-5% that is often thrown around in these forums.

Maybe she misunderstood what I meant when I asked her how much funding Boalt gets from the state, can anyone confirm this?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Even if Berkeley doesn't offer merit aid, which I'm not sure is the case (the scholarship committee is only now convening), wouldn't their willingness to match the offers of peer schools make their program functionally identical to a school that does offer merit aid? Just get em to match!
I was told from the director of fin aid that they began meeting the first week of March and have about half the pot left. Of course that number will fluctuate if people end up withdrawing and such, since if they match, they require you to either firmly accept and deposit in 2 weeks or lose the matching money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

optimist

New

Post by optimist » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:26 pm

This was my first (and probably last ASW) and as a non-trad, I was apprehensive, going in.
It was wonderful and the people (1Ls, faculty & staff, fellow-0Ls) made the ASW as successful as it turned out to be.
( Attending this event will lighten the blow of the inevitable Stanford rejection. )

I know the first year is supposed to be a root-canal but I am looking forward to it.

:D

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
southernlady wrote:So for some of the straight-out-of-undergrad people that went to the ASD, did you feel like you will be out of place at Berkeley? Did it seem that the students were generally a bit older with different interests than you? For instance, were they more family-oriented and less likely to go to a bar review or other social event? Just curious.
It is impossible to tell the difference on sight between straight out of undergrad and a few years out. Most people are only 1-2 years out and their (our) interests are identical to yours.
That's right, everything you've been told about individualism is a lie. We're all future business suited clones.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:13 pm

However, the purpose of the increase of the tuition (as unfortunate as it is) is to decrease the level of dependence on the state substantially in the next couple of years. Tuition is 31 this year, 25 last year, and 21 the year before, which values are significantly below those at Mich and UVa. With the rise to 35/36 next year (depending on whether you have outside health insurance), that 30% value will decline.

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:48 pm

Is out-of-state tuition really like $47K next year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”