UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 pm

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 pm

I submitted my Jeffersonian app back in the middle of Feb. and I don't anticipate getting offered an apartment there. My first choice is to rent a house with a few people (I really need to get that organized in the next few days) and if that doesn't work out I will look at Ivy and some of the complexes farther from the school. Barclay Place sounds intriguing.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:23 am

applepie wrote:I also did some apartment browsing while in cville. I also decided that if I attend I will live farther out.

I liked Barracks West, but did not get to see inside and dont have much info to add.

I also drove by Abbington Crossing (off of rio rd. near fashion square mall, like 4 miles from the school I believe). They allow pets (hopefully that means rabbits, but I still need to call). A one-bedroom is 748 sq. feet and runs $840 per month with only trash included. Have washer and dryers. They seemed clean and pretty safe, but I literally drove by real quick on the way to the airport.

If anyone does tour Barracks West, I'd love some pics and some more info.

I'd be careful about anything near Fashion Square Mall. I used to run EMS in C-ville and there were some not so nice apartments near FSM. They look nice, but there was fairly high crime.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:26 am

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:The lady spins both directions for me...although I feel like I am going cross-eyed now from staring at her so long.

On another note, I am in Charlottesville right now and spent ALL day looking at apartments. I figured I'd continue the trend and relay my thoughts to y'all. Also, I should say that I am looking for a one bedroom and I have a cat.

Ivy: $775-820 (with den for $820). No pets allowed. Plus, rent includes absolutely no utilities so you have to pay water, sewer, trash, electric, cable, and internet. This was an automatic no for me because where I go, Tonks (cat) goes.

UHeights: $729-765 (w/den $765) My parents used to live here back in 1975 so they insisted we look at it. I got the feeling it was a lot of undergraduate housing. The apartments were okay and rent was decent (includes water, sewer and trash), but there were little annoying things. For one, they had accordion metal closet doors that were impossible to maneuver. They have a $300 non-refundable pet deposit PLUS $35/month. Also, the kitchens looked like they dated back to 1975.

Barracks West: $740-770 (plus $63/mo for water, sewer, and trash. Tenant pays electric, cable and internet). This is farther away - would have to drive to school which doesn't bother me. These were alright except that all the one bedrooms were on the bottom floor, underneath the town homes. I didn't get to see the inside of a one bedroom. Instead, I saw a two bedroom and it had a crazy layout with the kitchen in a little secluded hallway. I liked these better than Uheights or Ivy though.

Barclay Place: $980-1175 (includes EVERYTHING but electric). We just happened upon this place. Although rent is $1050 for a regular sized one bedroom apartment (what they call "Small One Bedroom") it includes everything but electric (including a washer and dryer in unit and cable w/HBO). They have a nice pool, workout facility, sauna, and get this - a place to wash and vacuum your car! Plus, the leasing agent Fran offers you homemade cookies and fresh buttery popcorn on arrival! Clearly it doesn't take much to win me over...Pets: $350 REFUNDABLE pet deposit. No monthly fee.

Carriage Hill: $970-1025 (w/o an attached garage). These are my favorite and I think I want to live here even though it is the farthest away. I felt like I was in the mountains. The apartments are really nice, workout facility was big, pool, hot tub, tanning bed (I am not much of a tanner since I am uber pale, but still...), pool table, ping pong, tennis courts, basketball courts, and a business center opened 24 hrs a day with free printing/faxing/copying. Also, I love to cook and these had great kitchens with a full-size pantry. The washer and dryers were newer and had great shelving above them to store stuff. You have to pay electric, cable, and internet here. Pets: $150 non-refundable pet deposit plus $15/month.

Jefferson Ridge: $1095-1,175. These are my other favorite. Includes everything but electric (cable w/HBO, washer and dryer in apartment). If you get an apartment on the second floor you have a gorgeous view. These have built-in shelves and a desk in the dining room that are quite functional. The closet space was lacking the bedroom, but nothing to cry about. If you have a dog they have a 64,000 sq/ft dog park. HUGE workout facility, year-round pool, pool table, etc. Pets: $395 non-refundable deposit. No weight limit. You can have one dog and two cats.

Thus, although I had originally intended on living as close to school as I can get (should I choose UVA in the upcoming weeks), I think I've decided I'd rather pay the extra money and have a nicer apartment that actually feels like home. If anyone has any other questions feel free to PM me and I will try to answer them.

Thanks crazyinalabama.

I got to visit a current student's apartment in Ivy. Parking seemed okay (maybe not a wealth of empty spaces, but enough to get by). The exterior looks dated but the apartment I was in seemed modern enough and not dingy at all. The kitchen is rather small, but other than that, it makes for decent student housing (at a price).

To add to the list:
Jeffersonian Apartments:
1 bedroom (575 sq. feet): $670-$700
1 bedroom w/ den (685 sq. feet): $710-$740
2 bedroom (795 sq. feet): $770-$800
2 bedroom w/ den (925 sq. feet): $810-$840
Furnished: $35 per month

Dated but functional in appearance.

(Easy) walking distance to the law school. Barracks shopping center just down the road. Swimming pool on premises and coin-operated laundry with cash/change machine. All apartments have patio/balcony. Water, trash, and wireless Internet included. Electricity and cable are not included.

Pet fee of $20.00 per pet, per month; max of two pets (cats, dogs, birds), aged 2+ years. Weight limit for dogs in 50 lbs (ground floor) and 25 lbs (ground/second floor). You can't have aggressive-breed dogs (rottweilers, GSDs, pit bulls, wolves, etc.). Deposit $150 to $300 depending on weight.

Looks like I'll be living here next year; I think they're running out of spots (or have run out of spots) for next academic year.

I'll be one of your neighbors.

applepie

Postby applepie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:52 am

vamedic03 wrote:
applepie wrote:I also did some apartment browsing while in cville. I also decided that if I attend I will live farther out.

I liked Barracks West, but did not get to see inside and dont have much info to add.

I also drove by Abbington Crossing (off of rio rd. near fashion square mall, like 4 miles from the school I believe). They allow pets (hopefully that means rabbits, but I still need to call). A one-bedroom is 748 sq. feet and runs $840 per month with only trash included. Have washer and dryers. They seemed clean and pretty safe, but I literally drove by real quick on the way to the airport.

If anyone does tour Barracks West, I'd love some pics and some more info.

I'd be careful about anything near Fashion Square Mall. I used to run EMS in C-ville and there were some not so nice apartments near FSM. They look nice, but there was fairly high crime.

ohh one of those. thanks for the warning. what about the barracks west area? i figured since it looked mostly residential it would probably be safer than rio rd. area, but it also looks kind of old

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isittomorrowyet

Postby isittomorrowyet » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 am

CE2JD wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Thanks crazyinalabama.

I got to visit a current student's apartment in Ivy. Parking seemed okay (maybe not a wealth of empty spaces, but enough to get by). The exterior looks dated but the apartment I was in seemed modern enough and not dingy at all. The kitchen is rather small, but other than that, it makes for decent student housing (at a price).

To add to the list:
Jeffersonian Apartments:
1 bedroom (575 sq. feet): $670-$700
1 bedroom w/ den (685 sq. feet): $710-$740
2 bedroom (795 sq. feet): $770-$800
2 bedroom w/ den (925 sq. feet): $810-$840
Furnished: $35 per month

Dated but functional in appearance.

(Easy) walking distance to the law school. Barracks shopping center just down the road. Swimming pool on premises and coin-operated laundry with cash/change machine. All apartments have patio/balcony. Water, trash, and wireless Internet included. Electricity and cable are not included.

Pet fee of $20.00 per pet, per month; max of two pets (cats, dogs, birds), aged 2+ years. Weight limit for dogs in 50 lbs (ground floor) and 25 lbs (ground/second floor). You can't have aggressive-breed dogs (rottweilers, GSDs, pit bulls, wolves, etc.). Deposit $150 to $300 depending on weight.

Looks like I'll be living here next year; I think they're running out of spots (or have run out of spots) for next academic year.

I'll be one of your neighbors.

Me too!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

bulldog4574

Postby bulldog4574 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Did anyone else checkout Avemore or the Greens at Hollymeade for apartments? A bit of drive from both but decent rent (800ish for a 1 bedroom) and quiet atmosphere.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:44 pm

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Someone come live with me in Charlottesville. I don't bite.

Fup

Postby Fup » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:41 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Someone come live with me in Charlottesville. I don't bite.

Is that house you posted about a 5 minute walk from the law school, or a 5 minute drive? I won't have a car, so I'd like to be able to walk. I'm still not certain if I'll attend - I need to get my financial aid info first, as I really can't pay the full cost - but if they give me a decent offer I will definitely go.

dudeman101

Postby dudeman101 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm considering UVA, but what prefer to live on-campus. Does anyone know anything about on-campus housing?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:51 pm

dudeman101 wrote:I'm considering UVA, but what prefer to live on-campus. Does anyone know anything about on-campus housing?

--ImageRemoved--

Ivy and Jeffersonian are virtually on campus. Consensus seems to be that the UVA graduate housing is overpriced and low on amenities.
Last edited by RVP11 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdn012

Postby jdn012 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

i'm not certain yet that I'm attending either but I'm really afraid that by the time I decide, all the housing close to the school will be gone. i really don't mind driving but given that most 1Ls are close to campus...

I was wondering if anybody had experience with commuting a bit your first year. Did you feel a bit excluded or no?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Fup wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Someone come live with me in Charlottesville. I don't bite.

Is that house you posted about a 5 minute walk from the law school, or a 5 minute drive? I won't have a car, so I'd like to be able to walk. I'm still not certain if I'll attend - I need to get my financial aid info first, as I really can't pay the full cost - but if they give me a decent offer I will definitely go.

I'm going to be checking out a variety of places next week. I will probably end up getting either a 2BR apt/condo within a few minutes walking distance or a 4BR house about 5 minutes away driving. Either way I need roomates and it will probably end up being $500/mo per person at any of the options I've considered.

Fup

Postby Fup » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Well, I'll let you know when I've made my decision, if you're still looking for roomates then. Are you going to be at ASD next week?

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
dudeman101 wrote:I'm considering UVA, but what prefer to live on-campus. Does anyone know anything about on-campus housing?

--ImageRemoved--

Ivy and Jeffersonian are virtually on campus. Consensus seems to be that the UVA graduate housing is overpriced and low on amenities.

Family Housing (Copeley and UV Gardents) seem to be very reasonable at 855$/mo 2br, furnished and ALL amenities/utilities included. (705 for 1 br i think). The only downside (for me) is that there are no pets allowed. C'mon, not even cats?
They even go so far in the rules to ask residents not to touch or play with any animals that may be in the surrounding area for fear that they will be encouraged to make frequent visits. Does it really matter THAT much? Yeah, it's technically on campus, but it's less than a stone's throw away from off-campus houses that have pets.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:08 pm

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:55 pm

i signed a lease at ivy today with another 0L.

EaglesXLIV

Postby EaglesXLIV » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Copeley is right across from the law school. You'd share a room with someone else, and the people at ASW said very few law students live at Copeley. Like JS said though, there are a few other options really close to the law school up near Copeley.

I'll be living on Arlington next year, the walks to the school and shopping center are really nice.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Agreed that not many people live in Copeley. There is one advantage to on-campus housing and it is 9 month leases. It does save roughly 1,000-2,000 dollars not having a lease that runs over 1L summer.

For something similar, perhaps check out Graduate Center on Arlington Blvd. Basically, on-campus style 4BR/4BA suites with a shared common room and kitchen. Plus, I think they'll match you up with roommates and stuff.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:43 am

No posts in three days? We are really falling behind here...

applepie

Postby applepie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:08 pm

I have a feeling once the preliminary aid awards go out on March 24 (right?) that this thread will be hopping! I know I'm crossing my fingers :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”