UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Jim_Stansel

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:29 pm

philosophy wrote:should our loans have cleared? SIS still lists that i have 'charges due.'

It still says that for me too, not to mention Discover says my scheduled loan disbursal date is 8/25. But in QuikPAY on my current statement, it lists my loans under "anticipated credits" and so my total due as -$11,646.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Is anyone else volunteering on Sunday doing the SPCA in Fluvanna? Apparently my two minute response time was enough to secure me a spot! Now for working on the will power between now and then to go to a humane society and not bring home another cat or dog...

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:34 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:38 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
philosophy wrote:should our loans have cleared? SIS still lists that i have 'charges due.'

It still says that for me too, not to mention Discover says my scheduled loan disbursal date is 8/25. But in QuikPAY on my current statement, it lists my loans under "anticipated credits" and so my total due as -$11,646.

Are you sure?

My loan period start date with Discover is the 08/25, but the disbursement date for this semester (clicking on the individual loan) is 08/13 (01/11/2010 for next semester).

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for that correction. So hopefully everything online will be straightened out by this Thursday.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Is anyone else volunteering on Sunday doing the SPCA in Fluvanna? Apparently my two minute response time was enough to secure me a spot! Now for working on the will power between now and then to go to a humane society and not bring home another cat or dog...

I hadn't heard of it. Tell me more.

I was thinking of volunteering for the Albermarle Housing Improvement program on the 16th.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:Is anyone else volunteering on Sunday doing the SPCA in Fluvanna? Apparently my two minute response time was enough to secure me a spot! Now for working on the will power between now and then to go to a humane society and not bring home another cat or dog...

I was thinking of volunteering for the Albermarle Housing Improvement program on the 16th.

It was the SBA Service Day email we got a while back. We're probably talking about the same thing because the SBA event is August 16th and they originally talked about roofing and painting homes. I think if you wanted to participate in it (or maybe just if you wanted a t-shirt) you had to send an email to someone by Aug 1st. I have a hard time someone is going to turn down a volunteer...

I got an email yesterday, though, asking for 10 volunteers to work at the SPCA.

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:

It was the SBA Service Day email we got a while back. We're probably talking about the same thing because the SBA event is August 16th and they originally talked about roofing and painting homes. I think if you wanted to participate in it (or maybe just if you wanted a t-shirt) you had to send an email to someone by Aug 1st. I have a hard time someone is going to turn down a volunteer...

I got a reply to my email seconds after I sent it and was added to the volunteer list for the SBA event. Are you doing the SPCA gig instead or in addition?

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:50 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:

I emailed last night about the SPCA thing and they said they were full.

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:52 pm

showNprove wrote:If you're in C-Ville now, you might want to drop by the bookstore and pick up your CrimLaw casebook. The good used copies are few and far between, and believe me, you'll be spending enough money already without paying the extra $40 for a new one.

Credited. I just went over and saw only a few used copies left with relatively little writing/highlighting in them. You can actually pick up about 2 or 3 more books as well if you want. They have lists posted so it's pretty easy to tell what is common across sections.

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:54 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:Are people still up for visiting Monticello some day this week? Come on, we have to pay our respects to TJ

Yes.

I'd be up for maybe going on Saturday.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:55 pm

geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:

I got a reply to my email seconds after I sent it and was added to the volunteer list for the SBA event. Are you doing the SPCA gig instead or in addition?

Hmmm, it is part of the SBA event. That's strange that you emailed and didn't get this email yesterday. I'll post it for you here:

Hello Volunteers!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone for volunteering! This is going to be a great event and also a wonderful opportunity for you to get to know the Charlottesville community AND other public service minded 1L's.

Now, for the details:

1) Be at the law school by 10:15 am on Sunday, August 16th. We will assign participants to a volunteer site beforehand, and will have someone there to let you know where you will be going. Also, at this gathering, we will hand out t-shirts and arrange for carpooling to the sites.

2) Food & Water. We will provide water at the sites. There will also be some snacks, but if you think you will get hungry, you might want to pack something small to eat.

3) Drivers Needed. To make sure everyone gets to their site, we'd like to have as many drivers available as possible. Although we might not need all of you, please let me know (pn5z@virginia.edu) if you are willing to drive people to a site. We want to make sure we have adequate transportation for all of the volunteers.

4) Animal Lovers Needed. One of our volunteer sites is the Fluvanna SPCA and will involve working directly with animals. To make sure we don't assign this to people with allergies (or a dislike for animals), we are looking for 10 volunteers for this site. Please email me if you'd like to volunteer. The first ten will be assigned to this site.

Thanks again for volunteering! We look forward to meeting you all

Peggy Nicholson (& Rachel Paul)
Co-Chairs, SBA Public Service Committee

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:44 pm

limegreen wrote:Has anyone that has gotten some books confirmed that we can in fact charge books to our student account and not pay for them?

Also, is the orientation schedule posted online anywhere?

Just charged a Crim Law book to my account a bit ago, worked just fine.

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:08 pm

green wrote:
showNprove wrote:If you're in C-Ville now, you might want to drop by the bookstore and pick up your CrimLaw casebook. The good used copies are few and far between, and believe me, you'll be spending enough money already without paying the extra $40 for a new one.

Credited. I just went over and saw only a few used copies left with relatively little writing/highlighting in them. You can actually pick up about 2 or 3 more books as well if you want. They have lists posted so it's pretty easy to tell what is common across sections.

+2

geoffree

Postby geoffree » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
geoffree wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:

Hmmm, it is part of the SBA event. That's strange that you emailed and didn't get this email yesterday. I'll post it for you here:

Hello Volunteers!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone for volunteering! This is going to be a great event and also a wonderful opportunity for you to get to know the Charlottesville community AND other public service minded 1L's.

Now, for the details:

1) Be at the law school by 10:15 am on Sunday, August 16th. We will assign participants to a volunteer site beforehand, and will have someone there to let you know where you will be going. Also, at this gathering, we will hand out t-shirts and arrange for carpooling to the sites.

2) Food & Water. We will provide water at the sites. There will also be some snacks, but if you think you will get hungry, you might want to pack something small to eat.

3) Drivers Needed. To make sure everyone gets to their site, we'd like to have as many drivers available as possible. Although we might not need all of you, please let me know (pn5z@virginia.edu) if you are willing to drive people to a site. We want to make sure we have adequate transportation for all of the volunteers.

4) Animal Lovers Needed. One of our volunteer sites is the Fluvanna SPCA and will involve working directly with animals. To make sure we don't assign this to people with allergies (or a dislike for animals), we are looking for 10 volunteers for this site. Please email me if you'd like to volunteer. The first ten will be assigned to this site.

Thanks again for volunteering! We look forward to meeting you all

Peggy Nicholson (& Rachel Paul)
Co-Chairs, SBA Public Service Committee

I emailed this morn and she said she'd add me to the list.

Thanks for the information :)

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:21 pm

So as usual I have questions.

1) Do we know what part of the day Thursday sections will be online? Are they going to be posted at school earlier? like tomorrow?

2). When is the best time to go to the bookstore? I am afraid all of us are going to show up at the same time and it's going to take forever.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm

I'll be going to the Fluvanna SPCA as well (plus I volunteered to drive).

cthrockmo

Postby cthrockmo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:35 pm

anybody up for some basketball this weekend?

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

I'll be going to the Fluvanna SPCA as well (plus I volunteered to drive).

Good, I'm glad to know I won't be the only incoming 1L there!

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 pm

So did we decide if (and what) is going on Wednesday evening yet?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Also, I heard the orientation thing is for SO's as well. Is this true and if so how many of your SOs are actually attending?

bulldog4574

Postby bulldog4574 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm

limegreen wrote:Also, I heard the orientation thing is for SO's as well. Is this true and if so how many of your SOs are actually attending?

Which orientation thing may i ask?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:
limegreen wrote:Also, I heard the orientation thing is for SO's as well. Is this true and if so how many of your SOs are actually attending?

Sorry I don't know how I left that out. The dinner thing on the first night? I could be wrong though.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 pm

limegreen wrote:
bulldog4574 wrote:

Sorry I don't know how I left that out. The dinner thing on the first night? I could be wrong though.

The BBQ isn't exactly regulated so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't notice who showed up regardless of what the official policy is.

Atticus Kunk

Postby Atticus Kunk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 pm

cthrockmo wrote:anybody up for some basketball this weekend?

I'm down for some bball. When I come up on Thurs I'm bringing a ball with me in case you need. Just let me know when / where.

It looks like you guys are already having some good times. I look forward to hopefully joining in come Thurs or Fri.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”