UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
EyeBeeM

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EyeBeeM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 pm

gladiator wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:Ah, thanks. Can you tell me where to find this book list posted online? Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).

--LinkRemoved--

(Scroll down to LAW near the bottom)

Regarding this booklist - do we simply print this out and take it to the bookstore with us to pick out our texts?

At my undergrad they had a system where you swiped your student ID at a computer terminal and it'd print out a list of all books listed for your schedule. I'm hoping UVa has something similar.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 pm

CE2JD wrote:
I wish my mind could generate questions like yours does.

Yea... when I feel unprepared I start coming up with a million questions because I get overwhelmed. I am feeling like the super anti-gunner idiot right now compared to the rest of you.

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:1. I will pay anyone a significant amount of money for me to take notes if there is a laptop ban. I will be taking my own notes, of course, but I usually can't read my handwriting...No joke, part of my decision-making process was which schools allowed me to take exams online.

2. Is the bookstore at the law school? I know I passed A bookstore when touring, but I also went to the bookstore for the undergrad campus to pick up my computer (gunners scoff and roll eyes at crazyinalabama's clear ineptitude; 1 student down, 370 more to go).

lol if only locating the bookstore was part of our final exams...

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 pm

iceberger wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:1. I will pay anyone a significant amount of money for me to take notes if there is a laptop ban. I will be taking my own notes, of course, but I usually can't read my handwriting...No joke, part of my decision-making process was which schools allowed me to take exams online.

2. Is the bookstore at the law school? I know I passed A bookstore when touring, but I also went to the bookstore for the undergrad campus to pick up my computer (gunners scoff and roll eyes at crazyinalabama's clear ineptitude; 1 student down, 370 more to go).

[strike]crazyinalabama[/strike]

back to the practice exams and E&Es...

better go buy a sleeping bag so you can camp out next Thursday before they post our sections

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:
iceberger wrote:

[strike]crazyinalabama[/strike]

back to the practice exams and E&Es...

better go buy a sleeping bag so you can camp out next Thursday before they post our sections

Too late, I'm already the first in line. Anyone want to bring me snacks between now and then?

green

Postby green » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:04 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:
gladiator wrote:
EyeBeeM wrote:Ah, thanks. Can you tell me where to find this book list posted online? Also...will our sections be posted online somewhere (not getting to C-ville until late).

--LinkRemoved--

(Scroll down to LAW near the bottom)

Regarding this booklist - do we simply print this out and take it to the bookstore with us to pick out our texts?

At my undergrad they had a system where you swiped your student ID at a computer terminal and it'd print out a list of all books listed for your schedule. I'm hoping UVa has something similar.

They have tags on the shelves that list books for each professor.

green

Postby green » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Also, somewhat related: Does anyone know how receiving packages in the mail works at Ivy (If I end up ordering some books)? They obviously can't fit in the little mailboxes, so I was wondering if they just leave them at the door.

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:13 pm

green wrote:Also, somewhat related: Does anyone know how receiving packages in the mail works at Ivy (If I end up ordering some books)? They obviously can't fit in the little mailboxes, so I was wondering if they just leave them at the door.

i don't live at Ivy, but at my apartment in undergrad and then in Charlottesville, they just leave you a note to come to the front office to pick up a package

applepie

Postby applepie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 pm

so missed A LOT while I've been gone...have you guys talked about good places to park on campus and not get ticketed when going to pick up ID's and whatnot?

I feel like this is redundant but I cant remember if so or from where.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:41 pm

applepie wrote:so missed A LOT while I've been gone...have you guys talked about good places to park on campus and not get ticketed when going to pick up ID's and whatnot?

There are metered spaces outside of Observatory Hill dining Hall (where the ID office is)... There are also some metered spaces behind the law school if you need to go by there for anything.

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 pm

green wrote:Also, somewhat related: Does anyone know how receiving packages in the mail works at Ivy (If I end up ordering some books)? They obviously can't fit in the little mailboxes, so I was wondering if they just leave them at the door.

UPS delivered to my apt. door today. don't know about USPS. both times i have been in the office there were no packages lying around. i would imagine they leave it at your door.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:18 am

applepie wrote:so missed A LOT while I've been gone...have you guys talked about good places to park on campus and not get ticketed when going to pick up ID's and whatnot?

Parking on grounds is fairly difficult during the day. Other than getting your ID in which there are spots right outside, generally I'd say park in the bookstore garage and just pay the minimal cost. Free parking before 5 PM is a virtually impossibility. There are some metered spots running along University Ave right after you make the left/right off of Emmet St toward the Corner if you're desperate.

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:45 am

Speaking of parking, when do those of us not living at Ivy or Arlington get parking permits? Also, I was reading something on LawWeb, and it sounds like 1L's can only get passes for the Blue lot, is that correct?

Gladiator or any other current student: I'm sure it varies by professor, but I was wondering if you remember about how much time it took to do the initial readings last year? My SO really wants me to come home to Philly next weekend to have a rather belated going away party for me, but I'm just not sure that's feasible. (Plus I worry that I'd be missing out on meeting people in C'ville.) Thoughts?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 am

ILikeIke wrote:Speaking of parking, when do those of us not living at Ivy or Arlington get parking permits? Also, I was reading something on LawWeb, and it sounds like 1L's can only get passes for the Blue lot, is that correct?

Gladiator or any other current student: I'm sure it varies by professor, but I was wondering if you remember about how much time it took to do the initial readings last year? My SO really wants me to come home to Philly next weekend to have a rather belated going away party for me, but I'm just not sure that's feasible. (Plus I worry that I'd be missing out on meeting people in C'ville.) Thoughts?

I think I read somewhere that some 1Ls might get a spot in the regular lot depending on how many people buy passes, is this true? Who is in charge of the parking stuff if we have questions?

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:13 am

Also, are a lot people going to the optional sunday night events next weekend? Doesn't seem like my deal but I don't want to be the only one not there.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:16 am

YCrevolution wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
gladiator wrote:
limegreen wrote:How do we know what books to buy after we find out our Prof?

At my undergrad you just went to the bookstore and found your class and teacher, is it the same deal, or do I need to make a list of specific books? Also, can you just go online and order them and pick them up like I did in undergrad, or do I have to go do it all myself?

Finally, I have a friend going to WM law and apparently they have to dress up the first week... I didn't miss some memo about that for UVA did I?

Same as undergrad on books, I don't think you can get them online but not sure. No, there's nothing about dressing up the first week. If you see people dressed up, they're 2Ls doing interviews or 1L supergunners.

I'll be the guy in the black tux.

Tuxedos should only be worn in the evenings. Cutaways and strollers for daytime hours.

LIZ: Why are you wearing a tuxedo?
JACK: Its after six, what am I a dirt farmer?

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 am

ILikeIke wrote:Speaking of parking, when do those of us not living at Ivy or Arlington get parking permits? Also, I was reading something on LawWeb, and it sounds like 1L's can only get passes for the Blue lot, is that correct?

It's not that bad. It'll usually be a normal assignment, so figure 30m-1h per assignment, depending on how you approach it (Brief, highlight, gloss, etc.). I wouldn't not go simply because you think you have some monumental reading to do. It won't be that bad, and chances are most professors won't grill you the first day, with the exception of a few.

As for books, I'll just add that it's really easy. You'll go in, find your professor names and pull books. Or the people there will usually just ask what section you're in and pull them for you. It'll take 10 minutes. Plus, unlike undergrad, I've never seen them run out of books. They're really good about that. In a related note, the people in the bookstore are awesome. They're awesomeness is a small, unmentioned perk of the school.

The only thing I can say that may take more time is if you're going to buy used books. There are good ones to be had, but you need to dig through to find them, which may take some time. Ultimately, I didn't think it was really worth the time to spend to save a sort of miniscule amount, but that may be the only reason to run to the bookstore 10 minutes after section assignments come out.

Kat86

Postby Kat86 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 am

Are everyone's loans still pending? I'm getting worried about that, is something wrong with mine? I'm using Wachovia

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

You're fine. Not sure if ya'll get the emails we do, but apparently there was something with their new SIS system or something, so they've basically delayed certifying the loans with your bank. Mine are still pending with BoA (Great Lakes) as well with the "We're waiting for more information from your school..." thing.

Kat86

Postby Kat86 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks I feel a lot better now, I'm driving up on Monday from Florida trying to make sure I have everything in order

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 am

limegreen wrote:Also, are a lot people going to the optional sunday night events next weekend? Doesn't seem like my deal but I don't want to be the only one not there.

Didn't go last year, wasn't alone in that decision.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:51 am

gladiator wrote:
limegreen wrote:Also, are a lot people going to the optional sunday night events next weekend? Doesn't seem like my deal but I don't want to be the only one not there.

Didn't go last year, wasn't alone in that decision.

Glad to hear it.

By the way, I think everyone here owes you at least a beer (I probably owe you a case) for all of the help you've given us.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:01 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 am

I will be happy to accept all gifts.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”