UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
EyeBeeM

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby EyeBeeM » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Another dumb question that perhaps was answered before:

It seems like common knowledge that you shouldn't buy any books (other than supplements) prior to attending your first class. So how do we do our pre-first class reading assignments?

1LGirl

Postby 1LGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Do we even have pre-first class assignments?? haha... I'll be like Elle Woods

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

green wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
napolnic wrote:
green wrote:Okay, so it turns out that wasn't the password I needed, so maybe someone can help me. I'm configuring my computer for wireless and need to input some information to get a digital certificate. They ask for "Current Password for Blue, Home Directory, CMS, or HSC Exchange Account". I assumed CMS meant "Central Mailing System" and they wanted my Gmail password, but that seems like it's incorrect. I don't really have any idea what these accounts are. Does anyone know what password this is?

I believe that CMS is the old email system, so not your gmail pw. You might have yet to make up these passwords. And I recall being frustrated in my last attempt to create one of those, but that might have been because I hadn't figured out my ID yet.

I created my digital certificate password using my NetBadge/eServices password, but I also only created the certificate after getting my permanent NetBadge/eServices password.

I think this might be it. I tried my current netbadge password (since they ask for current password) and it didn't work. I guess I'll try to pick up my ID and do it again. The strange thing is that when you are registering for your account on the health services page and you need to retrieve your University ID (assuming you don't have your card), they prompt you for the same password, which seems like a catch 22.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are talking about, but last week when IT was configuring my computer they needed my "Student Information System ID." This is different than our computing id (ex: scw4bd). It was in the first email I ever received from Cynthia Burns (on Jan. 29th for me) about financial aid applications. It is a 9 digit code that is entirely numeric. Maybe that will help...I know you needed both to configure the computer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:41 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:44 pm

EyeBeeM wrote:Another dumb question that perhaps was answered before:

It seems like common knowledge that you shouldn't buy any books (other than supplements) prior to attending your first class. So how do we do our pre-first class reading assignments?

Completely false. The vast majority of people end buy their books from the bookstore. A vast majority of those just stick with the ones they buy originally (rather than fussing with Amazon etc.)

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm still unsure about this whole financial aid thing. How do I know that I've done everything? On the Quickpay page it shows that I have a negative amount of money due on August 9th, so I assume that means I will be getting that money back after the loans cover my tuition...

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 pm

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Does anyone know if we get our excess loan money all at once this semester or do we have to disbursement, one for each semester?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:01 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Does anyone know if we get our excess loan money all at once this semester or do we have to disbursement, one for each semester?

At least on mine (and based on my less that expert analysis), a large chunk is given the first semester, but there's still some to disperse for the second semester.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Does anyone know if we get our excess loan money all at once this semester or do we have to disbursement, one for each semester?

One for each semester. At least that's what I'm showing in SIS, two roughly equal disbursements with this one being a little more because of health insurance and laptop budget increase...

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm

iceberger wrote:

One for each semester. At least that's what I'm showing in SIS, two roughly equal disbursements with this one being a little more because of health insurance and laptop budget increase...

Really? Then my budgeting just got a lot easier. sweet.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:10 pm

napolnic wrote:
iceberger wrote:

Really? Then my budgeting just got a lot easier. sweet.

Check SIS >> Account Inquiry then look at Pending Financial Aid for Fall 2009 and Spring 2010. I think that should show the exact figures (although there's debate how exact because of some fee weirdness between Discover and UVA SIS)

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:41 pm

So I don't want to speak for anyone else, but we could probably do something next weekend right before orientation @ the Woodlands? I'm thinking Saturday would be best, but we could do Friday or Sunday. Maybe iceberger or omg would be interested in helping host?

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 pm

limegreen wrote:So I don't want to speak for anyone else, but we could probably do something next weekend right before orientation @ the Woodlands? I'm thinking Saturday would be best, but we could do Friday or Sunday. Maybe iceberger or omg would be interested in helping host?

nice idea dude. Anyone interested in hitting a bar or something Saturday night? moving in friday and would def like to meet everyone

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
limegreen wrote:So I don't want to speak for anyone else, but we could probably do something next weekend right before orientation @ the Woodlands? I'm thinking Saturday would be best, but we could do Friday or Sunday. Maybe iceberger or omg would be interested in helping host?

I don't live there, but I'll attend / bring the party*

*liquor

+1

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm just hanging around my apartment/running errands most days...Any meet-up sounds great.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

I'll definitely volunteer to co-host. Saturday afternoon cookout/drinks at the woodlands clubhouse?

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

iceberger wrote:

I'll definitely volunteer to co-host. Saturday afternoon cookout/drinks at the woodlands clubhouse?

Yes, sir

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm

iceberger wrote:

I don't drink so I'll bring a bunch of non-alcoholic stuff to drink.

That's assuming I'm invited :oops: :oops: :oops: .

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 pm

CE2JD wrote:
iceberger wrote:

I don't drink so I'll bring a bunch of non-alcoholic stuff to drink.

That's assuming I'm invited :oops: :oops: :oops: .

How could we have an official UVA 2012 TLS meetup without CE2JD being invited?

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 pm

actually, bar crawl friday night instead... PM me if your in; I have no clue when or where but know for sure its goin down

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:46 pm

rdt854 wrote:actually, bar crawl friday night instead... PM me if your in; I have no clue when or where but know for sure its goin down

Is this going to be the roving-looking-to-pick-up-chix-with-other-assorted-douchebags type of bar crawl? If so, I think I'll pass.

rdt854

Postby rdt854 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 pm

CE2JD wrote:
rdt854 wrote:actually, bar crawl friday night instead... PM me if your in; I have no clue when or where but know for sure its goin down

Is this going to be the roving-looking-to-pick-up-chix-with-other-assorted-douchebags type of bar crawl? If so, I think I'll pass.

Not assorted douchbags... UVA douchbags... were clearly distinguishable, comon now

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 pm

I'll be there sober enough to drive rdt home after he blacks out so you wouldn't be alone CE.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”