UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
CE2JD

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 am

showNprove wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
showNprove wrote:I contacted Stacey Hughes at that e-mail last night, and she told me they are only making appointment for students with bundled laptops. If you have your own, you have to wait until orientation. She just sent me "do it yourself" links.

Considering that I know not too many students have been coming in to do this so far, I'm kind of annoyed that she told me I have to wait since the students with bundles are "getting priority" right now.

Ummmm... I don't have a bundle and she's configuring my laptop(s) for me on Wed.

Did you tell her that you don't have a bundle? If so, that is really annoying.

I told her I have a non-bundle computer.

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 am

CE2JD wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Well- Check out this for awesome. Monday morning- leave at 7:30 am for Seattle. 10:30 Tuesday night come home. 4:00 Wednesday- embark on a 30 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Charlottesville. Saturday- move all my stuff in.

What a fun week I have to look forward to.

Good luck man. I once completed a 35-hour drive from Thompson, Canada (city in northern Manitoba) to Long Island in 3 days - I really wanted to just get home. I also learned how brutal it is for anybody at least 6 feet tall to be crammed in a Toyota Corolla for extended periods of time. Towards the end I think I started to lose my sanity a little bit. Be careful.

I just completed driving from San Diego to Charlottesville in 5 days.

Last summer I did an 8000 mile solo road trip. I only drove about 8-10 hours each driving day, though, because I stopped to see people/do stuff.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 am

green wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:Well- Check out this for awesome. Monday morning- leave at 7:30 am for Seattle. 10:30 Tuesday night come home. 4:00 Wednesday- embark on a 30 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Charlottesville. Saturday- move all my stuff in.

Good luck man. I once completed a 35-hour drive from Thompson, Canada (city in northern Manitoba) to Long Island in 3 days - I really wanted to just get home. I also learned how brutal it is for anybody at least 6 feet tall to be crammed in a Toyota Corolla for extended periods of time. Towards the end I think I started to lose my sanity a little bit. Be careful.

I just completed driving from San Diego to Charlottesville in 5 days.

Last summer I did an 8000 mile solo road trip. I only drove about 8-10 hours each driving day, though, because I stopped to see people/do stuff.

Did you just drive in a big circle across the entire country or did you drive to Peru and back?

LiveDukeorDie

Postby LiveDukeorDie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:19 am

Hi Guys! I'm new to the forum, but just thought I'd let you know that I'm having a party at my apartment one night during orientation and want to invite everyone who is a 1L. I'm at Ivy Gardens and won't be moving up until Saturday the 15th. Are there any nights that look as though they are quieter than others so that would be a good night? PM me and let me know!! When do we know our sections?

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 am

Cavalier wrote:

Why in the world are you coming to this awful city?

(OK, OK, so it's not that bad, but after 21 years I'm desperate to live somewhere else)

My grandparents live in Kirkland and Redmond, and my grandpa is very very old and on his last leg. It's one of those situations where it's sad but I'm okay with it because he's quite ill and alone. Nonetheless, I thought I'd be able to see him at Christmas but now they think he won't make it that long, so I figure I should go now just in case.

(no need to share sympathies... I'm just explaining why I'm doing that crazy trip.)

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Why in the world are you coming to this awful city?

(OK, OK, so it's not that bad, but after 21 years I'm desperate to live somewhere else)

My grandparents live in Kirkland and Redmond, and my grandpa is very very old and on his last leg. It's one of those situations where it's sad but I'm okay with it because he's quite ill and alone. Nonetheless, I thought I'd be able to see him at Christmas but now they think he won't make it that long, so I figure I should go now just in case.

(no need to share sympathies... I'm just explaining why I'm doing that crazy trip.)

Kirkland and Redmond are fine; it's Seattle that I dislike. Hope your visit goes well.

LiveDukeorDie wrote:Hi Guys! I'm new to the forum, but just thought I'd let you know that I'm having a party at my apartment one night during orientation and want to invite everyone who is a 1L. I'm at Ivy Gardens and won't be moving up until Saturday the 15th. Are there any nights that look as though they are quieter than others so that would be a good night? PM me and let me know!! When do we know our sections?

Welcome! A 1L party sounds awesome. Since classes don't start until Wednesday I assume that Friday night through Monday night would work. I believe that we are getting our sections on Friday the 14th, but I could be mistaken.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Welcome! A 1L party sounds awesome. Since classes don't start until Wednesday I assume that Friday night through Monday night would work. I believe that we are getting our sections on Friday the 14th, but I could be mistaken.

last year the were physically posted on like the wednesday before, this year rumor has it we'll get them online Thursday or Friday.

They were physically posted on Thursday night last year in the glass case next to the Student Records Office.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Most recent wildlife update: This morning I was hiking on what I considered to probably be a well-traveled trail (it's to an 82' waterfall) and didn't think that I had to worry about snakes or bears. We get to the overlook of the waterfall but wanted to meet up with the AT to make it a longer hike so continue on. MY GOD - we turn a corner and a cub stops dead in its tracks as it jumps down from the left and is ambling towards us. I start clapping madly, the bear turns and runs (which oddly reminded me of my obese cat hightailing it). We turned around and waited about 10 mins 50 yards back (around the corner) while we made lots of noise. We start hiking again, very cautiously since we never saw mama bear, and I'll be damned if the bear was not somewhere ahead on the path WHINING. It sounded like a dog whining over and over. I thought it was a bird at first and then I realized that little baby bear never went back to mama bear, wherever she might be.

Needless to say, not wanted to be the victim of mama bear, we turned around hiked back the way we came.

Perhaps I should accompany the TLS hiking trip just to make sure something panic-inducing occurs. :wink:

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Most recent wildlife update: This morning I was hiking on what I considered to probably be a well-traveled trail (it's to an 82' waterfall) and didn't think that I had to worry about snakes or bears. We get to the overlook of the waterfall but wanted to meet up with the AT to make it a longer hike so continue on. MY GOD - we turn a corner and a cub stops dead in its tracks as it jumps down from the left and is ambling towards us. I start clapping madly, the bear turns and runs (which oddly reminded me of my obese cat hightailing it). We turned around and waited about 10 mins 50 yards back (around the corner) while we made lots of noise. We start hiking again, very cautiously since we never saw mama bear, and I'll be damned if the bear was not somewhere ahead on the path WHINING. It sounded like a dog whining over and over. I thought it was a bird at first and then I realized that little baby bear never went back to mama bear, wherever she might be.

Needless to say, not wanted to be the victim of mama bear, we turned around hiked back the way we came.

Perhaps I should accompany the TLS hiking trip just to make sure something panic-inducing occurs. :wink:

You should! It's been awhile since I've seen a bear. I just posted on the FB group about the hike again. I think we're looking at Monday.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Abraham's Torts syllabus is up on LawWeb under Current Courses.

kritiosboy

Postby kritiosboy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Does anyone know a straightforward way to retrieve your UVa Gmail password or get a new one? I need it to configure my computer for UVa wireless. Basically, I log in to get my email by clicking the "UVa Email" button on the SIS page and it takes me to NetBadge login, which takes me directly to my email (presumably because my password is saved on my computer). However, I forgot what my email password is, and the people at the computing help desk have been no help. I called once and they said I need to take the computing quiz again to get a new password, but when I try to do that the website just tells me I've already taken it. I called again today and the person on the other end literally had no idea.

Maybe I need to get my ID card and permanent SIS password, but if anyone could help me out with retrieving/resetting my UVa Gmail password, that would be great.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:49 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:50 pm

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
green wrote:Does anyone know a straightforward way to retrieve your UVa Gmail password or get a new one? I need it to configure my computer for UVa wireless. Basically, I log in to get my email by clicking the "UVa Email" button on the SIS page and it takes me to NetBadge login, which takes me directly to my email (presumably because my password is saved on my computer). However, I forgot what my email password is, and the people at the computing help desk have been no help. I called once and they said I need to take the computing quiz again to get a new password, but when I try to do that the website just tells me I've already taken it. I called again today and the person on the other end literally had no idea.

Maybe I need to get my ID card and permanent SIS password, but if anyone could help me out with retrieving/resetting my UVa Gmail password, that would be great.

Once in Gmail, click "Settings" at the top right, then click "Accounts" then click "Change Password." Log out of Gmail and then log back in through NetBadge. After logging in, it will prompt you for a new password. Enter your new password and you're finished!

That pretty much made my day. Thanks, YC!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:57 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 pm

woo!! the "To-Do" list updated finally in SIS. It's no longer saying I have to redo those counseling things

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 pm

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 pm

still no change on the discover site though :-/

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 pm

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:06 pm

Okay, so it turns out that wasn't the password I needed, so maybe someone can help me. I'm configuring my computer for wireless and need to input some information to get a digital certificate. They ask for "Current Password for Blue, Home Directory, CMS, or HSC Exchange Account". I assumed CMS meant "Central Mailing System" and they wanted my Gmail password, but that seems like it's incorrect. I don't really have any idea what these accounts are. Does anyone know what password this is?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm

green wrote:Okay, so it turns out that wasn't the password I needed, so maybe someone can help me. I'm configuring my computer for wireless and need to input some information to get a digital certificate. They ask for "Current Password for Blue, Home Directory, CMS, or HSC Exchange Account". I assumed CMS meant "Central Mailing System" and they wanted my Gmail password, but that seems like it's incorrect. I don't really have any idea what these accounts are. Does anyone know what password this is?

I believe that CMS is the old email system, so not your gmail pw. You might have yet to make up these passwords. And I recall being frustrated in my last attempt to create one of those, but that might have been because I hadn't figured out my ID yet.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:11 pm

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
napolnic wrote:
green wrote:Okay, so it turns out that wasn't the password I needed, so maybe someone can help me. I'm configuring my computer for wireless and need to input some information to get a digital certificate. They ask for "Current Password for Blue, Home Directory, CMS, or HSC Exchange Account". I assumed CMS meant "Central Mailing System" and they wanted my Gmail password, but that seems like it's incorrect. I don't really have any idea what these accounts are. Does anyone know what password this is?

I believe that CMS is the old email system, so not your gmail pw. You might have yet to make up these passwords. And I recall being frustrated in my last attempt to create one of those, but that might have been because I hadn't figured out my ID yet.

I created my digital certificate password using my NetBadge/eServices password, but I also only created the certificate after getting my permanent NetBadge/eServices password.

I think this might be it. I tried my current netbadge password (since they ask for current password) and it didn't work. I guess I'll try to pick up my ID and do it again. The strange thing is that when you are registering for your account on the health services page and you need to retrieve your University ID (assuming you don't have your card), they prompt you for the same password, which seems like a catch 22.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”