UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
napolnic

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'm going to spend tonight alone, depressed, and feeling sorry for myself for not being in Charlottesville already. Anyone else want to join?

:::Raises hand:::

I even have the key to my apartment and all I can do now is pack and wait for Wednesday.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:59 pm

green

Postby green » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:41 pm

lsatbobby wrote:Just thought I'd share some interesting things I found out on my trip this weekend:

-Sections will be posted online (for the first time ever) next Thursday. They'll also be posted at the bookstore on Thurs or Fri
-You can get your ID now. I was able to get mine on Friday, and they told me to tell others to come on down.
-Try and get your computer orientation done at the law school ASAP. Apparently not many people have done theirs, which means there will be a mad rush to get it done during orientation.
-Gym memberships and other stuff we can do with our ID will be activated on August 17th.
-Lil Johns deli is freakin delicious (and has subs for $2), along w/ the samples at Harris Teeter.
-A $25 check for lockers will be needed at orientation

will let you know if I remember anything else...

Question: Where do we go to get computer orientation done?

Someone may have already answered this one.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:49 pm

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Do we have to get our computer configured or is it something we can do ourselves?

green

Postby green » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm

limegreen wrote:Do we have to get our computer configured or is it something we can do ourselves?

You can probably do it yourself (I did it myself for undergrad), but it sounds a lot easier to go through the law school.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 pm

green wrote:
limegreen wrote:Do we have to get our computer configured or is it something we can do ourselves?

You can probably do it yourself (I did it myself for undergrad), but it sounds a lot easier to go through the law school.

Thanks, I just emailed them for an appointment. I have to say out of everything UVA related the only thing I have been disappointed with (and repeatedly so) is the computing. Having all kinds of logins/passwords/accounts and then having to get my computer set up all seems so 1990 to me. At my undergrad we had one internet portal that managed everything from e-mail to printing to course selection and all you had to do was login to the wireless internet for everything to work.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 pm

green

Postby green » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:37 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
green wrote:

Thanks, I just emailed them for an appointment. I have to say out of everything UVA related the only thing I have been disappointed with (and repeatedly so) is the computing. Having all kinds of logins/passwords/accounts and then having to get my computer set up all seems so 1990 to me. At my undergrad we had one internet portal that managed everything from e-mail to printing to course selection and all you had to do was login to the wireless internet for everything to work.

Wait until you get your ID card. Then you'll have to create new Netbadge passwords because the one you're using now is only "temporary."

I lost my email password, but it's saved on my computer so I log in automatically. I don't want to log out now because I'm afraid I won't be able to get back in and will have to take that computer quiz again just to get a new password.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
green wrote:

Wait until you get your ID card. Then you'll have to create new Netbadge passwords because the one you're using now is only "temporary."

Well that is just great - I don't even know what Netbadge accesses or what my password for that is currently. Is that SIS or email? I agree with limegreen, this is ridiculous that we have to have so many different passwords and different systems. Grrr.

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

me too. and it's saved on my old computer so it'll be a pain when i start using the new one.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 pm

jasofbase2001

Postby jasofbase2001 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 am

Well- Check out this for awesome. Monday morning- leave at 7:30 am for Seattle. 10:30 Tuesday night come home. 4:00 Wednesday- embark on a 30 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Charlottesville. Saturday- move all my stuff in.

What a fun week I have to look forward to.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:31 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:Well- Check out this for awesome. Monday morning- leave at 7:30 am for Seattle. 10:30 Tuesday night come home. 4:00 Wednesday- embark on a 30 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Charlottesville. Saturday- move all my stuff in.

Why in the world are you coming to this awful city?

(OK, OK, so it's not that bad, but after 21 years I'm desperate to live somewhere else)

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 am

jasofbase2001 wrote:Well- Check out this for awesome. Monday morning- leave at 7:30 am for Seattle. 10:30 Tuesday night come home. 4:00 Wednesday- embark on a 30 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Charlottesville. Saturday- move all my stuff in.

that sounds truly miserable.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:26 am

YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I ordered a mac bundle and sent an email to lawitc@virginia.edu last week asking when I could pick it up. As it turned out, I was supposed to contact someone else about picking it up (Cavalier Computers for those also wanting to pick up their computer early), but Stacey Hughes, head of the law school IT department, emailed me back saying that after I pick it up I should come see her and she'd configure it early for me.

If you are in VA early and want to avoid a headache of an orientation session, I recommend sending her an email at lawitc@virginia.edu and making an appointment to configure things early. Mine had several problems and it took about half an hour. They set up both my new computer and my current computer and she said two or three times she wished everyone could come in early to configure things.

Sorry this isn't very succinct or well-written. Final words: email lawitc@virginia.edu if you want to configure your internet/printing on your computer (bundle or no bundle) before orientation.

I have an appointment for tomorrow. They don't have to be bundled laptops.

I contacted Stacey Hughes at that e-mail last night, and she told me they are only making appointment for students with bundled laptops. If you have your own, you have to wait until orientation. She just sent me "do it yourself" links.

Considering that I know not too many students have been coming in to do this so far, I'm kind of annoyed that she told me I have to wait since the students with bundles are "getting priority" right now.

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:26 am

Just so everyone knows, I emailed itc and they said they were only helping bundle ownersnow that i could do it myself or wait until orientation. Not cool.

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:57 am

showNprove wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:I ordered a mac bundle and sent an email to lawitc@virginia.edu last week asking when I could pick it up. As it turned out, I was supposed to contact someone else about picking it up (Cavalier Computers for those also wanting to pick up their computer early), but Stacey Hughes, head of the law school IT department, emailed me back saying that after I pick it up I should come see her and she'd configure it early for me.

If you are in VA early and want to avoid a headache of an orientation session, I recommend sending her an email at lawitc@virginia.edu and making an appointment to configure things early. Mine had several problems and it took about half an hour. They set up both my new computer and my current computer and she said two or three times she wished everyone could come in early to configure things.

Sorry this isn't very succinct or well-written. Final words: email lawitc@virginia.edu if you want to configure your internet/printing on your computer (bundle or no bundle) before orientation.

I contacted Stacey Hughes at that e-mail last night, and she told me they are only making appointment for students with bundled laptops. If you have your own, you have to wait until orientation. She just sent me "do it yourself" links.

Considering that I know not too many students have been coming in to do this so far, I'm kind of annoyed that she told me I have to wait since the students with bundles are "getting priority" right now.

Could you pass along the links, please?

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:05 am

Good luck man. I once completed a 35-hour drive from Thompson, Canada (city in northern Manitoba) to Long Island in 3 days - I really wanted to just get home. I also learned how brutal it is for anybody at least 6 feet tall to be crammed in a Toyota Corolla for extended periods of time. Towards the end I think I started to lose my sanity a little bit. Be careful.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 am

showNprove wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Ummmm... I don't have a bundle and she's configuring my laptop(s) for me on Wed.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 am

Jim_Stansel wrote:

Good luck man. I once completed a 35-hour drive from Thompson, Canada (city in northern Manitoba) to Long Island in 3 days - I really wanted to just get home. I also learned how brutal it is for anybody at least 6 feet tall to be crammed in a Toyota Corolla for extended periods of time. Towards the end I think I started to lose my sanity a little bit. Be careful.

I just completed driving from San Diego to Charlottesville in 5 days.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 am

CE2JD wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:

I just completed driving from San Diego to Charlottesville in 5 days.

Five days sounds reasonable for that distance. How many hours a day did you drive?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:36 am

Jim_Stansel wrote:Five days sounds reasonable for that distance. How many hours a day did you drive?

Well... considering I was driving a moving truck that was about 1000 lbs. overweight and dragging mud flaps, I could only go about 45 up hills. I probably drove 10-12 hours a day average out to about 11 hours a day. It wasn't that bad, but I was surrounded by tornaders (as the locals call them) driving through the panhandle of Texas which made things interesting.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:41 am

CE2JD wrote:
showNprove wrote:I contacted Stacey Hughes at that e-mail last night, and she told me they are only making appointment for students with bundled laptops. If you have your own, you have to wait until orientation. She just sent me "do it yourself" links.

Ummmm... I don't have a bundle and she's configuring my laptop(s) for me on Wed.

Did you tell her that you don't have a bundle? If so, that is really annoying.

Here are the links for the person who asked:
To configure your laptop for UVA wireless access you must be on UVA grounds. Please see the link below for instructions.

http://itc.virginia.edu/wireless/encrypted.html

To set up UVA Law School printers on your laptop follow these instructions. You must know your LawWeb and LawNT passwords in order to do this. The

LawWeb password is needed to log in to see the instructions and the LawNT password is needed to install the printer. You should have received this

account information in an email to your UVA account. You must be on UVA grounds and on a UVA wireless network to do this.

http://lawnotes2.law.virginia.edu/lawit ... enDocument

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 am

CE2JD wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:Five days sounds reasonable for that distance. How many hours a day did you drive?

Well... considering I was driving a moving truck that was about 1000 lbs. overweight and dragging mud flaps, I could only go about 45 up hills. I probably drove 10-12 hours a day average out to about 11 hours a day. It wasn't that bad, but I was surrounded by tornaders (as the locals call them) driving through the panhandle of Texas which made things interesting.

What a drag (both literally and figuratively)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”