UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
napolnic

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am

Just yet some more friendly medical form information:

Despite the fact that there is no actual line or place for your doctor to sign the second and third pages, they will count your records incomplete unless they are signed... somewhere on those pages.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:40 am

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:54 am

napolnic wrote:Just yet some more friendly medical form information:

Despite the fact that there is no actual line or place for your doctor to sign the second and third pages, they will count your records incomplete unless they are signed... somewhere on those pages.

Are you talking about the part of the form that we are supposed to fill out?

NVrep

Postby NVrep » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:15 am

Hello everyone! I just saw the link to this group on the big UVA 2012 group and wanted to introduce myself. I recently moved to C-ville and was wondering if there's going to be any outings to get to know people before school starts?

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:48 am

There was some discussion on this a few pages back, but I'm bringing it back.

I called the VA DMV and they told me that you can only keep out-of-state plates/registration/license on your car if you are a student who lives in a dorm (meaning you pay your "rent" to UVA) and you do not work in Virginia. If you live off-campus (pay rent to someone other than UVA) or you work in Virginia you must switch your license/registration/insurance to Virginia.

This info seems to contradict what I was reading earlier - that as long as you were a student you could keep your out-of-state license/registration/plates.

EDIT: From the VA DMV webpage

Out-of-State Students

If you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited school in Virginia and not employed, you may drive in Virginia with a valid out-of-state (or another country) driver’s license and valid out-of-state license plates on your vehicle. If you are a full-time student and employed, you are considered a resident of Virginia for the purposes of motor vehicle laws only. This does not necessarily qualify you for in-state tuition rates. Therefore, you must apply for a Virginia driver’s license and register your vehicle in Virginia. You must register the vehicle in Virginia even if it is owned by someone else.

The lady at the DMV said that paying rent to someone other than UVA made you a resident for the purposes of motor vehicle laws. No mention of this above though. :?

Can any experts clear this up?

ILikeIke

Postby ILikeIke » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 am

EyeBeeM wrote:There was some discussion on this a few pages back, but I'm bringing it back.

I called the VA DMV and they told me that you can only keep out-of-state plates/registration/license on your car if you are a student who lives in a dorm (meaning you pay your "rent" to UVA) and you do not work in Virginia. If you live off-campus (pay rent to someone other than UVA) or you work in Virginia you must switch your license/registration/insurance to Virginia.

This info seems to contradict what I was reading earlier - that as long as you were a student you could keep your out-of-state license/registration/plates.

Can any experts clear this up?

I'm certainly no expert, but according to the VA DMV's website:

Out-of-State Students

If you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited school in Virginia and not employed, you may drive in Virginia with a valid out-of-state (or another country) driver's license and valid out-of-state license plates on your vehicle. If you are a full-time student and employed, you are considered a resident of Virginia for the purposes of motor vehicle laws only. This does not necessarily qualify you for in-state tuition rates. Therefore, you must apply for a Virginia driver's license and register your vehicle in Virginia. You must register the vehicle in Virginia even if it is owned by someone else.

They don't say anything there about your living arrangements.

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am

If what the lady said was correct (that paying rent to someone other than UVA for housing makes you a resident and requires me to switch my license/registration/insurance to VA) then shouldn't I be able to qualify for in-state tuition next year?

Q: How long must I be domiciled in Virginia before I can be considered "in-state"?
A: A student, parent(s) or spouse must be domiciled in Virginia for at least 12 continuous months immediately preceding the first day of classes. This means the student parent(s) or spouse must actually reside in Virginia during this period while simultaneously demonstrating their intent to be domiciled in Virginia. Intent is demonstrated by, among other things, paying resident taxes to Virginia, obtaining a Virginia driver's license, car & voter registrations.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/va.htm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:03 am

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am

YCrevolution wrote:

Isn't there a "healthcare provider" line at the bottom of the page? If we have to get more than the immunization and TB pages signed, I'm going to be very sad.

Those are the two pages. At least on my copy, there are no lines at the bottom to be signed. The only mention of signing is on the initial instructions (that I probably should have read at the doctor's office), but no instructions to do so on the actual page itself.

Edit: so I looked it up and apparently I downloaded an old form that didn't have a line to sign at the bottom of either page... now I go look to see if there's anything else different and I have to go back to the doctor, daaaang it.

Edit: no, apparently my printer was just out of red ink...
Last edited by napolnic on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:19 am

A lot of my friends are out-of-state and live in off-campus housing and have not changed to VA registration. It's possible everyone, including me, is just unknowingly breaking the law, but the only evidence I have is anecdotal which is that nobody seems to be following that policy.

Also unlikely you will get in-state tuition just for changing your car registration. They are highly skeptical of people trying to get in-state tuition.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:21 am

napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Isn't there a "healthcare provider" line at the bottom of the page? If we have to get more than the immunization and TB pages signed, I'm going to be very sad.

Those are the two pages. At least on my copy, there are no lines at the bottom to be signed. The only mention of signing is on the initial instructions (that I probably should have read at the doctor's office), but no instructions to do so on the actual page itself.

Edit: so I looked it up and apparently I downloaded an old form that didn't have a line to sign at the bottom of either page... now I go look to see if there's anything else different and I have to go back to the doctor, daaaang it.

I'm looking at the form now, including the instructions. Both say that only the immunization page and the TB page need to be signed by the physician.

Edit (In response to your edit): Yeah, that'll do it. Sorry to hear that.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 am

showNprove wrote:
napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

I'm looking at the form now, including the instructions. Both say that only the immunization page and the TB page need to be signed by the physician.

I figured it out; my printer was out of red ink, so none of those lines that were so carefully made red so that you would be careful to see them and get them signed...them didn't show up

EyeBeeM

Postby EyeBeeM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am

gladiator wrote:A lot of my friends are out-of-state and live in off-campus housing and have not changed to VA registration. It's possible everyone, including me, is just unknowingly breaking the law, but the only evidence I have is anecdotal which is that nobody seems to be following that policy.

Also unlikely you will get in-state tuition just for changing your car registration. They are highly skeptical of people trying to get in-state tuition.

Yeah, the fact that the DMV webpage doesn't mention anything about living in a UVA dorm vs private apartment complex makes me think that the lady I spoke to didn't know what she was talking about.

Regarding in-state tuition, I called someone at the Committee for Virginia status. She told me that for any student who enters as an out-of-state it's pretty much impossible to get in-state tuition unless you defer school for at least a year or marry someone who is domiciled/works full-time in VA, claims you as a dependent for tax purposes, and provides at least half of your financial support.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:33 am

SteelersandGators

Postby SteelersandGators » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm

regarding the earlier posts....

i'm an out-of-state student and live in a private apartment complex. i still have my home state license plates, and so do my other out-of-state classmates who live in my complex

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
napolnic wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Edit: no, apparently my printer was just out of red ink...

Ouch. I guess the silver lining is that at least you found it now, before you made it C'ville.

Random: There's a VA sales tax holiday for school supplies <= $20 and clothing/footwear <=$100 next weekend Aug. 07-09:
http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?al ... ingHoliday

woo! target here I come. I wonder if pounds of coffee count as school supplies... if not they should :lol:

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 pm

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 pm

Time to start eating blackboard chalk and glaze.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Probably not, unfortunately. I wish certain food items counted, too. I mean, don't all college students eat ramen?
Virginia Department of Taxation wrote:The following is an all-inclusive list of items that are included in the term “school
supply” and are therefore exempt from tax during the sales tax holiday period,
provided their sales price is $20 or less per item. Only the following items are
exempt as school supplies. Items need not be intended for use in school or in
connection with a school activity to be eligible for the exemption.
• Binder pockets
• Binders
• Blackboard chalk
• Book bags
• Calculators
• Cellophane tape
• Clay and glazes
• Compasses
• Composition books
• Crayons
• Dictionaries and thesauruses
• Dividers
• Erasers (including dry erase marker erasers and dry erase marker
• cleaning solution)
• Folders: expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
• Glue, paste, and paste sticks
• Highlighters
• Index card boxes
• Index cards
• Legal pads
• Lunch boxes
• Markers (including dry erase markers and dry erase marker kits)
• Musical instruments, musical instrument accessories, and replacement
items for musical instruments
• Notebooks
• Paintbrushes for artwork
• Paints (acrylic, tempera, and oil)
• Paper: loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing
paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board and construction paper
• Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
• Pencil sharpeners
• Pencils
• Pens
• Protractors
• Reference books
• Reference maps and globes
• Rulers
• Scissors
• Sheet music
• Sketch and drawing pads
• Textbooks
• Watercolors
• Workbooks; and
• Writing tablets

Sheet music? alright...

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

gladiator wrote:Time to start eating blackboard chalk and glaze.

Yum!

--ImageRemoved--

lmb3ty

Postby lmb3ty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to TLS (after finding the link on the Class of 2012 fb page) and wanted to take a second to say hello! I'll be coming down August 14 and am really excited to meet all of you!

NELAC1987

Postby NELAC1987 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Hey folks, I've got two questions:

Where are these medical forms people are talking about and why don't I have them?

Does anyone know when we get our class schedules and first reading assignments?

Thanks. This is probably all somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:34 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 pm

NELAC1987 wrote:Hey folks, I've got two questions:

Where are these medical forms people are talking about and why don't I have them?

Thanks. This is probably all somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Just don't print the forms on a printer w/o red ink...

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:18 pm

napolnic wrote:
NELAC1987 wrote:Hey folks, I've got two questions:

Just don't print the forms on a printer w/o red ink...

My red ink is almost gone, so the red parts appear quite faded. Oh well, I'm sure that I'll learn something in school that will enable me to defend my faded forms if UVA rejects them!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”