UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
vamedic03

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Hey y'all....

3 questions for y'all:

1) what time on Friday?

2) Has anyone heard anything from Discover (beyond the initial 50k phone calls from them at the beginning of summer)?

3) Anyone doing the SBA volunteer day get any reply after sending the RSVP email?

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 pm

green wrote:Sorry for all the repeated posts, but I'm getting hit with Charlottesville all at once. I just went to the gym and they said our cards won't get us access until classes start, though Gladiator said it was August 12. Does anyone know if it's one or the other? Also, they said for a guest pass it's $7 a day and you need someone at the University to "sponsor" you to get one, which sounds like it could be a pain. Does anyone know how the pass works?

I forgot that they raised the guest pass price from $5 to $7 after last semester.

Last year I seem to remember getting access to the gyms about a week before orientation started, maybe I'm misremembering.

Nope, we definitely had access on and/or before August 12. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20208&hilit=id+gym+access&start=5300

Hera

Postby Hera » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 pm

skyisthelimit wrote:on SIS, i am being charged 4% in fees on my gradplus loan instead of just the 3% origination fee. the lender is discover, which i thought had no additional fees except the origination fee. where is the extra 1% coming from / is anyone else having this problem?

discover has no guarantor fee. SIS knows i want to use discover as my lender.

Basically, UVA's financial aid software needs to be manually adjusted to reflect the fee percentages for Discover. Apparently, this manual update has not been performed. Noelle at Discover (1-877-728-3030) will be calling Iris Roberts at UVA to fix this glitch. (University offices were already closed by the time I got the contact info from Financial Aid about who to contact regarding this matter.) Noelle said the manual change takes about 24-48 hours and to check SIS on Monday/Tuesday to see if the fees are correct. If they are not, call Discover and tell them to contact Iris Roberts again.

Hera wrote:
napolnic wrote:Alright, my turn for a probably silly financial aid question. I got an email today about looking up what I owe in QuickPay and all, and I'm pretty sure that it says that, with all the loans, they owe me money. But the email fails (or more likely I fail to comprehend) if I actually have to do anything to get this money, i.e. do I need to sign off on anything on SIS or will it automatically, if I got in my direct deposit stuff in early enough, get deposited? Anyone have any clues?

I just sent the Financial Aid office a bunch of questions including this. I will pass along the answers as I get them.

QuickPay is their invoice system. If you have an excess of loans after paying tuition & fees, you don't need to do anything. They will be giving you a refund. Refunds will not be processed until around Aug. 17.

Hope that helps.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Hera wrote:
skyisthelimit wrote:on SIS, i am being charged 4% in fees on my gradplus loan instead of just the 3% origination fee. the lender is discover, which i thought had no additional fees except the origination fee. where is the extra 1% coming from / is anyone else having this problem?

discover has no guarantor fee. SIS knows i want to use discover as my lender.

Basically, UVA's financial aid software needs to be manually adjusted to reflect the fee percentages for Discover. Apparently, this manual update has not been performed. Noelle at Discover (1-877-728-3030) will be calling Iris Roberts at UVA to fix this glitch. (University offices were already closed by the time I got the contact info from Financial Aid about who to contact regarding this matter.) Noelle said the manual change takes about 24-48 hours and to check SIS on Monday/Tuesday to see if the fees are correct. If they are not, call Discover and tell them to contact Iris Roberts again.

Hera wrote:
napolnic wrote:Alright, my turn for a probably silly financial aid question. I got an email today about looking up what I owe in QuickPay and all, and I'm pretty sure that it says that, with all the loans, they owe me money. But the email fails (or more likely I fail to comprehend) if I actually have to do anything to get this money, i.e. do I need to sign off on anything on SIS or will it automatically, if I got in my direct deposit stuff in early enough, get deposited? Anyone have any clues?

I just sent the Financial Aid office a bunch of questions including this. I will pass along the answers as I get them.

QuickPay is their invoice system. If you have an excess of loans after paying tuition & fees, you don't need to do anything. They will be giving you a refund. Refunds will not be processed until around Aug. 17.

Hope that helps.

Sweet. Thanks for the info!

kritiosboy

Postby kritiosboy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:19 pm

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:
green wrote:
iceberger wrote:
I just went through the same thing. I think you can wait until the enrollment (assuming your doing aetna) to begin on August 15th and get the shot and forms filled out then at the Student Health Center or... you can brave the public health department. Word of advice about that though, make sure you go on a non-clinic day, they have to prioritize all other walk-ins and appointments above immunizations. So try and make an appointment on a non-clinic day if possible. Personally, i would just wait for coverage to start uner the student plan and go to the campus health center.

Yeah, I'm not covered under the student plan, so it looks like I'll be going to the public health department :(

What date do we need to have immunizations in by?

Aug. 31, 2009.

The email they sent me sounded like my registration would be put on hold if I didn't get the immunization soon, though maybe they don't finalize all that stuff until the end of August.

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:11 pm

rsr28 wrote:
green wrote:Sorry for all the repeated posts, but I'm getting hit with Charlottesville all at once. I just went to the gym and they said our cards won't get us access until classes start, though Gladiator said it was August 12. Does anyone know if it's one or the other? Also, they said for a guest pass it's $7 a day and you need someone at the University to "sponsor" you to get one, which sounds like it could be a pain. Does anyone know how the pass works?

I forgot that they raised the guest pass price from $5 to $7 after last semester.

Last year I seem to remember getting access to the gyms about a week before orientation started, maybe I'm misremembering.

Nope, we definitely had access on and/or before August 12. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20208&hilit=id+gym+access&start=5300

Hmm, yeah, I looked up the guest pass and it seems like you need someone who is already a member to accompany you. Any current students want to go to the gym tomorrow? I don't want to have to resort to running for two weeks.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 pm

green wrote:
rsr28 wrote:

Hmm, yeah, I looked up the guest pass and it seems like you need someone who is already a member to accompany you. Any current students want to go to the gym tomorrow? I don't want to have to resort to running for two weeks.

I'd be interested, too.

jase1348

Postby jase1348 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:50 pm

green wrote:
rsr28 wrote:

i wonder, as a recent grad, if i can still get in without paying... if i can i would gladly take you guys as my guests. does anyone remember from last year if people from UVa undergrad could get in during the summer?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Previous year student gym memberships deactivate on June 1. I didn't buy a summer membership so can't help you guys.

skyisthelimit

Postby skyisthelimit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Last edited by skyisthelimit on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:40 pm

I was just going over that financial aid e-mail I got today. Just to clarify, if we follow the instructions and go to Quickpay to look at our account, and it shows a negative number as the amount due, that means our loans are in order and we'll be getting that amount back for living expenses, correct?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I turned in some of my work uniforms today. I work a couple more days so I kept enough for that, and then I'll turn the rest in and my ID card, but dropping that stuff off suddenly made it hit me today that OMG I'm actually quitting my job and uprooting my life to go do something new and unpredictable! And suddenly I'm freaking out about moving after months of telling people I'm fine and it's not as much of a big deal as everyone keeps saying it will be.

Me right now: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm also going to need help unloading my moving van on Saturday, August 8. I need to get it done quick and early (9-10am-ish?) so I can drop off the van and take my companion up to DC for their trip home, but if I can get a few volunteers I'll buy them lunch on Sunday. PM me if you're interested in heavy lifting and free food.

Gatorfan

Postby Gatorfan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm

Hey everybody,

I am brand new to TLS and just wanted to introduce myself. I am moving to Charlottesville next week and look forward to meeting all you guys. Let me know if anyone would like to get together before orientation. From reading some of these posts, it looks like a few of you have already met. I also saw a post discussing a trip to Virginia Beach, which I would definitely be down for.

Feel free to PM me and I will do the same when I get to town. Talk to everybody soon!

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 pm

This may be a longshot...but is anyone else a Journey fan? I noticed they're playing in Richmond in September and was thinking about going...

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Expectations set for UVA football

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 pm

gladiator wrote:http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88791&SPID=10606&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204765895

Expectations set for UVA football

Wait a minute, does this mean I'll be attending a Div-I school that won't be at the bottom of the conference in football?

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:01 am

Of course, it'll be a step down from Hokie football :)

2 hours to Blacksburg will be totally worth it!

kishi121

Postby kishi121 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 am

gladiator wrote:Posted some questions in the FB group if you guys want a pseudo-icebreaker.

I tried to see the questions you posted but did not see them---under which FB group did you post them?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 am

Last edited by YCrevolution on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 am

kishi121 wrote:
gladiator wrote:Posted some questions in the FB group if you guys want a pseudo-icebreaker.

I tried to see the questions you posted but did not see them---under which FB group did you post them?

The super secret TLS UVA group.

green

Postby green » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:56 am

hokie09 wrote:This may be a longshot...but is anyone else a Journey fan? I noticed they're playing in Richmond in September and was thinking about going...

How would you define "fan"?

Edit: I only ask because I probably know about three Journey songs.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:41 am

green wrote:How would you define "fan"?

Edit: I only ask because I probably know about three Journey songs.

I would assume in this case it's defined as someone willing to spend money on tickets and drive to Richmond to see them. :mrgreen:

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:12 am

Yeah, I'm not going to judge people who don't know songs...just trying to see if I can get a group together before trying to get tickets :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”