UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:05 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:18 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Anyone interested in TLS Meet-up #2?

I'll be in town all day Friday and would love to do something with yall

Damn! I won't be in town for this Friday... but next Friday? Stop meeting when I'm not there yet. Y'all are not allowed to attempt to have any kind of social interaction beyond TLS before I get there. I'm a very jealous person!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 pm

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I just spent a $20 copayment to get my doctor to copy a few dates out of my file and sign off that I've had all my shots.

He's a great and funny guy though. While he's hand copying everything he goes, "A monkey could do this job." He also asked me, "You're not gonna be the kind of lawyer that sues doctors, right?"

Not exactly a response to this but... I got the down low on the TB testing. Someone earlier told about a doctor who just asked a bunch of questions and signed the form? apparently this is because the chance of getting a false positive is greater than the chance of getting an actual positive; so if you are low risk (as seen by the questions) you don't have to get tested.
--ImageRemoved--

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
napolnic wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:

Damn! I won't be in town for this Friday... but next Friday? Stop meeting when I'm not there yet. Y'all are not allowed to attempt to have any kind of social interaction beyond TLS before I get there. I'm a very jealous person!

If it makes you feel better, I've been spending most of my time with Law School Predictor this week.

Not that much. see, that's actually productive. As compared to my week...

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I just spent a $20 copayment to get my doctor to copy a few dates out of my file and sign off that I've had all my shots.

You're lucky. My doctor just verified that I had the shots, signed my form and told me to fill in the dates myself.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 am

napolnic wrote:Not exactly a response to this but... I got the down low on the TB testing. Someone earlier told about a doctor who just asked a bunch of questions and signed the form? apparently this is because the chance of getting a false positive is greater than the chance of getting an actual positive; so if you are low risk (as seen by the questions) you don't have to get tested.

Yeah, went over that questionnaire with the doctor. More funny stuff, too. One question asks if the student has ever been around high-risk groups. "I don't even know what that means. Do you hang around a bunch of people with AIDS? No? No shooting up with needles or anything, I take it? Okay, then, I think it's safe to check 'no' here."

Also he posited why "not undergraduate" is an option for the Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccinations. Those are necessary for undergrads because of the likelihood they'll be living in or visiting a large dorm where it would be easier for such diseases to spread. Graduate students typically live off-campus or in lower-density campus housing and thus are not at the same risk for contracting or spreading those diseases.

While I'm posting, I may as well mention... Holy shit, how am I supposed to fit all of my stuff into boxes? After spending five years out of college and working in the real world I've accumulated an awful lot of crap that doesn't want to box very well.

lsatbobby

Postby lsatbobby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 am

napolnic wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:

I don't actually move for another two weeks, so I'm going to be pretty jealous as well

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 am

gladiator wrote:Pleeeeease if you guys do something, don't go to Chipotle. Be adventurous.

haha, hey i enjoyed chipotle. but fair point

bah, aug. 7th needs to be here...

limegreen

Postby limegreen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 am

iceberger wrote:
gladiator wrote:Pleeeeease if you guys do something, don't go to Chipotle. Be adventurous.

haha, hey i enjoyed chipotle. but fair point

bah, aug. 7th needs to be here...

Since I work in Barracks and never have the time/foresight to bring a lunch I have been to Chipotle an embarassing number of times (5 last week!). There really aren't any other great, fast places though nearby to go on my short break.

I'm going home for the weekend tomorrow but I'd love to get together next week if anyone is planning anything.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:48 am

Posted some questions in the FB group if you guys want a pseudo-icebreaker.

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I apparently need a new tetanus shot for my health records. They won't let me do it at the University Health Center because I'm not a student yet (and I can't register until I get a tetanus shot), so does anyone know where I could have one done?

Hera

Postby Hera » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 pm

green wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I apparently need a new tetanus shot for my health records. They won't let me do it at the University Health Center because I'm not a student yet (and I can't register until I get a tetanus shot), so does anyone know where I could have one done?

If you can't get into see a family/general medicine/internal medicine doctor, try your local Urgent Care clinic. They take walk-ins.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 pm

green wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I apparently need a new tetanus shot for my health records. They won't let me do it at the University Health Center because I'm not a student yet (and I can't register until I get a tetanus shot), so does anyone know where I could have one done?

I just went through the same thing. I think you can wait until the enrollment (assuming your doing aetna) to begin on August 15th and get the shot and forms filled out then at the Student Health Center or... you can brave the public health department. Word of advice about that though, make sure you go on a non-clinic day, they have to prioritize all other walk-ins and appointments above immunizations. So try and make an appointment on a non-clinic day if possible. Personally, i would just wait for coverage to start uner the student plan and go to the campus health center.

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:51 pm

iceberger wrote:

I just went through the same thing. I think you can wait until the enrollment (assuming your doing aetna) to begin on August 15th and get the shot and forms filled out then at the Student Health Center or... you can brave the public health department. Word of advice about that though, make sure you go on a non-clinic day, they have to prioritize all other walk-ins and appointments above immunizations. So try and make an appointment on a non-clinic day if possible. Personally, i would just wait for coverage to start uner the student plan and go to the campus health center.

Yeah, I'm not covered under the student plan, so it looks like I'll be going to the public health department :(

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:33 pm

green wrote:
iceberger wrote:

Yeah, I'm not covered under the student plan, so it looks like I'll be going to the public health department :(

Just wait until your plan kicks in. You have until Aug 31 to turn in the info.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Alright, my turn for a probably silly financial aid question. I got an email today about looking up what I owe in QuickPay and all, and I'm pretty sure that it says that, with all the loans, they owe me money. But the email fails (or more likely I fail to comprehend) if I actually have to do anything to get this money, i.e. do I need to sign off on anything on SIS or will it automatically, if I got in my direct deposit stuff in early enough, get deposited? Anyone have any clues?

Hera

Postby Hera » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 pm

After researching cable promo rates for a couple of hours, I call and find out that Comcast cannot service Ivy Gardens Apt. even though every website pulls up Comcast as the provider. :( So is NTC really the only way to connect online from Ivy?

Hera

Postby Hera » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 pm

napolnic wrote:Alright, my turn for a probably silly financial aid question. I got an email today about looking up what I owe in QuickPay and all, and I'm pretty sure that it says that, with all the loans, they owe me money. But the email fails (or more likely I fail to comprehend) if I actually have to do anything to get this money, i.e. do I need to sign off on anything on SIS or will it automatically, if I got in my direct deposit stuff in early enough, get deposited? Anyone have any clues?

I just sent the Financial Aid office a bunch of questions including this. I will pass along the answers as I get them.

iceberger

Postby iceberger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Hera wrote:
napolnic wrote:Alright, my turn for a probably silly financial aid question. I got an email today about looking up what I owe in QuickPay and all, and I'm pretty sure that it says that, with all the loans, they owe me money. But the email fails (or more likely I fail to comprehend) if I actually have to do anything to get this money, i.e. do I need to sign off on anything on SIS or will it automatically, if I got in my direct deposit stuff in early enough, get deposited? Anyone have any clues?

I just sent the Financial Aid office a bunch of questions including this. I will pass along the answers as I get them.

Thanks, I'm just as confused from the email.

Edit: I just checked the QuickPay thing it recommended and it shows a credit ("CR") due on the ninth. So I'm guessing that means all the loan stuff with is discover is set up okay. Also I guess makes the email make a little more sense.
Last edited by iceberger on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:00 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Some good news, or at least good projections

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:10 pm

napolnic wrote:
green wrote:
iceberger wrote:

Just wait until your plan kicks in. You have until Aug 31 to turn in the info.

Too late, I went to the public health center...It actually wasn't that bad at all. I even got a VA voter registration form and a magnet I can put on my fridge with the poison help line phone number. My day is complete.

Related question: If I don't have the Aetna plan, can I still get treated at the University health center? I'm just going through my regular health insurance right now.

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Hera wrote:After researching cable promo rates for a couple of hours, I call and find out that Comcast cannot service Ivy Gardens Apt. even though every website pulls up Comcast as the provider. :( So is NTC really the only way to connect online from Ivy?

Yeah, Ivy's cable really sucks. I'm here right now and you basically have to go through NTC...they don't even give you info for each channel, so you have to go to channel 2 and wait for it to scroll down to the channel you want.

green

Postby green » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Sorry for all the repeated posts, but I'm getting hit with Charlottesville all at once. I just went to the gym and they said our cards won't get us access until classes start, though Gladiator said it was August 12. Does anyone know if it's one or the other? Also, they said for a guest pass it's $7 a day and you need someone at the University to "sponsor" you to get one, which sounds like it could be a pain. Does anyone know how the pass works?

lkjhg8844

Postby lkjhg8844 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm having trouble accessing my invoice via the SIS financial information area. WHat I'm seeing does not reflect the balance due after my stafford loans are deducted, just the total tuition due for the semester minus my deposit.

Does anyone know how to access the printable invoice? I'm having trouble getting through to the financial services office.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”